Another Shooting

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:16 am

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/s ... ewsletters

Scalise Undergoes Surgery for Infection
Brooks says full recovery could take ‘about a year or two’
Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks, who was on the field during the shooting, said Scalise’s recovery could take time.

“My buddy Steve Scalise is still in the hospital with some very serious injuries that’s going to take, if things go right, it will be about a year or two before he’ll have recovered with all of the rehab and reconstructive surgery,” Brooks said in an interview on the Dan Morris Show in Montgomery, Ala.
I tweeted my senators and said it was a good thing Scalise has Obamacare.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/s ... ewsletters

Scalise Undergoes Surgery for Infection
Brooks says full recovery could take ‘about a year or two’
Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks, who was on the field during the shooting, said Scalise’s recovery could take time.

“My buddy Steve Scalise is still in the hospital with some very serious injuries that’s going to take, if things go right, it will be about a year or two before he’ll have recovered with all of the rehab and reconstructive surgery,” Brooks said in an interview on the Dan Morris Show in Montgomery, Ala.
I tweeted my senators and said it was a good thing Scalise has Obamacare.
Others of a less noble spirit might have said the opposite! ;)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:01 pm

:oops: I blush at your compliment, sir.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote::oops: I blush at your compliment, sir.
Did you say Atlanta is burning?! Lock the front door!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:34 pm

So a major league Republican is shot and nearly killed (and probably crippled to some degree) by a crazy person, and his life is saved and his rehab is provided by Obamacare, and the response of Republicans is:

No effort to separate guns from crazy persons,
Making Obamacare go away.

Is that about right?

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:29 am

Fortinbras wrote:So a major league Republican is shot and nearly killed (and probably crippled to some degree) by a crazy person, and his life is saved and his rehab is provided by Obamacare, and the response of Republicans is:

No effort to separate guns from crazy persons,

Is that about right?
Except you forgot the bit about it being all the liberals' fault.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote::oops: I blush at your compliment, sir.
Did you say Atlanta is burning?! Lock the front door!
No, since I didn't live during that war. BTW, I NEVAH understood Scarlett's OBSESSION with that wimpy Ashley Wilkes!

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Fortinbras wrote: No effort to separate guns from crazy persons,

Is that about right?
Well, within their world view this is self consistent. If more people had been armed, then the attacker would have been stopped quicker. If obamacare was repealed, then the care the victim received would have been better and cheaper.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 pm

neeneko wrote:
Fortinbras wrote: No effort to separate guns from crazy persons,

Is that about right?
Well, within their world view this is self consistent. If more people had been armed, then the attacker would have been stopped quicker. If obamacare was repealed, then the care the victim received would have been better and cheaper.
Wll of course, the Congress critters would be having excellent coverage way above average. Their staff? Prediction: none.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Ohio gender reveal party: A joyful occasion turns deadly

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/us/ohio-h ... index.html
After the "gender reveal" party was over, a dozen or so people, including children, had reportedly settled in to watch a "Spider-Man" movie.

That's when terror came in.

Police near Cincinnati say two gunmen in hoodies opened fire with handguns, killing a woman and wounded eight others, including three children.

Now, instead of celebrating new life, the group will be mourning a loss and caring for the injured.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:58 pm

:crying: :crying: :crying:
Why are there such hateful assholes in the world?!?

/rhetorical wail
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Not a recent one, but guns going off by themselves have a long history. (Genealogy research)

After crossing into KY they made camp one night. Two sons went off to hunt for dinner & caught something. One son laid down his gun to help clean their kill. After going to bed he remembered his loaded gun sitting outside. While trying to retrieve it in the dark it went off killing his father. Rene II was buried near their camp somewhere in KY.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Now appearing around the Twin Cities:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:35 am

WaPo
Northern Indiana doctor was killed for refusing to prescribe opioids, authorities say

An Indiana man shot and killed himself shortly after gunning down a doctor who refused to prescribe opioid medication to his wife, authorities said this week.

The alleged murder and the suicide unfolded within just hours of each other Wednesday in Mishawaka in northern Indiana, a state that's been gripped by problems with opioid addiction over the past several years. St. Joseph County Prosecutor Ken Cotter told reporters that Michael Jarvis confronted physician Todd Graham for not prescribing an opioid for his wife's chronic pain, but he cautioned that investigators are still determining whether drug addiction played a role in the killing.

Cotter said during a news conference Thursday that Jarvis and his wife showed up at Graham's office for an appointment Wednesday morning. Jarvis became upset after Graham told them that he doesn't believe chronic pain requires opioid medication. The couple left, but Jarvis - armed with a gun - drove back to the doctor's office about two hours later, Cotter said.

At that point, Graham was on his way to the St. Joseph Rehabilitation Institute a few miles from his office. Jarvis followed him to the institute's parking lot where the two argued, Cotter said.

"There were two witnesses who were outside and in close proximity," Cotter told reporters. "Jarvis went to those two witnesses and told them to leave. They saw a gun."
¡Qué vergüenza!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Judge shot at Ohio's Jefferson County Courthouse
Steubenville City Manager James Mavromatis says Judge Joseph J. Bruzzese Jr. was ambushed and shot outside the courthouse. Bruzzese is being taken for treatment by medical helicopter. Mavromatis says Bruzzese was talking after the shots were fired and is said to be in stable condition. Judge Bruzzese's family is aware of the situation.

One suspect has died after being shot by a probation officer who returned fire. A second suspect has been taken into custody after the shooting. Mavromatis has not released the names of the suspects, but said they have both done prison time.

“We’re starting to put this whole picture together, but basically what you have is the judge is going to work, these subjects were waiting for them. He comes up, shoots at the judge. The judge returns fire,” Mavromatis said. “We also have a probation officer that was behind the judge. He returns fire as he is shot at. The subject is deceased that he shot at.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Man who allegedly shot Ohio judge was father of football player convicted in Steubenville rape case
By JOSHUA HOYOSEMILY SHAPIRO Aug 22, 2017, 12:07 PM ET
Jefferson County Prosecutor's Office via AP

The man who officials say ambushed and shot an Ohio judge was the father of a high school football player convicted in the high-profile Steubenville High School rape case.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-judge-sho ... d=49333732

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm

RTH10260 wrote: The man who officials say ambushed and shot an Ohio judge was the father of a high school football player convicted in the high-profile Steubenville High School rape case.

Waits for people to come out saying how much of a shame it is such a bright man ruined his future with such a mistake, and maybe the judge was really just regretting an consensual shooting?

crickets.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Omaha World Herald
17-year-old boy, Douglas County sheriff's deputy shot after teen opens fire

A 17-year-old boy and a Douglas County sheriff’s deputy were shot Sunday after the teen opened fire on the deputies, according to the Sheriff’s Offfice.

The Sheriff’s Office said the boy was taken to Creighton University Medical Center-Bergan Mercy, where he was in stable condition but will need more surgery. The Sheriff’s Office did not name the teenager because he’s a juvenile.

The injured deputy, John McFarland, was taken to Lakeside Hospital for treatment and is expected to make a full recovery.

According to the Sheriff’s Office:

Shortly before 5 a.m. Sunday, deputies were called to a home along the 1400 block of 240th Street near Waterloo where it was initially reported that someone with a baseball bat was assaulting his parents, said Capt. Steve Glandt.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:15 am

A rash of kids killing people around here. These have all happened in the last 10 days.

11-year-old arrested after shooting 12-year-old in Tupelo

Corey Smith-13, bond set at $225,000 for aggravated assault, armed robbery and auto theft. Victim is recovering.

Initial hearing: Cedric Mitchell-16, no bond on the charge of capital murder in the death of David Peden. More arrests possible.

Jaquentis Camper-16, charged w/ aggravated assault/poss. of stolen firearm stemming from the shooting of 13 yr old at Meadow Lane Dr./Sykes Rd.

stolen 2016 orange Toyota RAV4 recovered, 3 BM juveniles detained for questioning. Victim still in critical condition. (identified as 13, 14, and 17 yrs old)

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

Good God that is absolutely horrible. :crying:
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:36 am

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:Good God that is absolutely horrible. :crying:
Yes.

I have a feeling that this has always occurred but we didn't have social media to tell millions of Americans about it. Now we know about every local act of violence, which has instilled in millions of Americans with a feeling that the country is spiraling down, although the crime rate has gone down. Before, these things just weren't widely known.

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:10 am

When I was in primary school I lost a classmate this way. A child had access to a loaded gun at home and brought it out to show classmate. The child dropped the gun when handing it to classmate. Somehow classmate was shot and died. It was an accident. I was 5 at the time. I just want to point out that I grew up in an affluent area and was in private schooling. This can happen anywhere if people are stupid with firearms.

Every time I see this topic has a new post I cringe knowing it may involve children. And pipstrelle- I think you are absolutely right- social media and 24 hour news sensationalize every one. It will forever break my heart knowing children are able to get their hands on guns.

I do believe in the 2nd amendment. I'm just very very anti-gun.
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

I lost 18 classmates (including a baby) on 18 August on a shooter. I never forget.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Mary Quite Contrary wrote: It was an accident. I was 5 at the time. I just want to point out that I grew up in an affluent area and was in private schooling. This can happen anywhere if people are stupid with firearms.
Something people seem to really struggle with is accepting that, well, no matter how bright one's snowflake is, children _are_ stupid. Undeveloped brains and very little knowledge acquired. Regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic background kids will do dumb things because they are kids and doing dumb stuff is how they learn. Thus it is rather important for adults, who may or may not be dumb (which also seems to be unrelated to background) to keep kids from potentially fatal mistakes like access to loaded guns.

There has been this big meme lately that as long as you sit down children and go over gun safety then you can leave loaded guns around because 'my children listen!'.... yeah... doesn't work.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Tolland...what? When? Overall?
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”