Special Election 2013/11/05 -- AL 01: Balance of Jo Bonner's Term

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 25, 2013 6:17 am

Congressman Jo Bonnor (R-AL 01) will be resigning soon to take a position with the University of Alabama.Sen. Richard C. Shelby, R-Ala., told reporters about Bonner’s imminent departure. Bonner sent a personal note to Shelby a few hours ago explaining the move. He will take on the newly created position of vice chancellor of government relations and economic development. Bonner’s sister, Judy Bonner, is president of the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.Alabama political consultants mentioned three potential Republican candidates who are likely to run in the special election to fill Bonner’s 1st District seat. They are:•State Sen. Tripp Pittman•First-term state Sen. Bill Hightower•Former state Sen. Bradley Byrne, a lawyer who lost a Republican gubernatorial primary bid in 2010A House Democratic aide confirmed they have no plans to compete in this district, where President Barack Obama received 37 percent.[/break1]rollcall.com/jo-bonner-to-resign-from-congress-per-report/]http://atr.rollcall.com/jo-bonner-to-re ... er-report/The "no plans to compete in this district" doesn't appear to be a shocking announcement. Congressman Bonnor was unopposed in the 2012 General Election in a district that includes 6 southwest counties in Alabama.[/break1]alabamaelectionresults.com/]http://www.alabamaelectionresults.com/

pitbullsigh

Post by pitbullsigh » Sat May 25, 2013 7:24 am

Im not familiar with this guy but knowing whati know you cant even be happy when one leaves because who knows what in the teabagger hell might take his place

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Congressman Bonner will start his new job August 16 at the University of Alabama with a $176,000 raise from his current congressional salary.

U.S. Rep Jo Bonner, R-Ala., will earn $350,000 in his new position with the University of Alabama System office.

A salary had not been set on May 23, when Bonner announced he would be resigning from Congress to take the position of vice chancellor for economic development and governmental relations.

Bonner will begin his duties as vice chancellor on Aug. 16, and Reinhart confirmed that the position will be based in Alabama, not Washington, D.C.

Bonner's announcement stunned constituents and politicians alike and raised questions among some about nepotism at the University of Alabama. Bonner's sister and current UA President Judy Bonner was nominated for her position by UA Chancellor Robert Witt in October 2012 following the abrupt exit of then-president Guy Bailey.

Information on Bonner's expected salary comes just on the heels of news that the UA Board of Trustees will consider a tuition raise for all three campuses. The board increased tuition last year by 7 percent at UA to $9,200 for two semesters; 8.5 percent at UAB to $8,400, and 8.6 percent at UAH to $8,794.

[/break1]al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/06/bonner_to_receive_350000_in_un.html]http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/06/b ... in_un.htmlSis outta get more than just a card for her birthday this year.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 pm

One Republican leaves Congress, another enters. :yawn: Alabama state Rep. Chad Fincher (R) will throw his hat in the ring for the House seat being vacated by Rep. Jo Bonner (R-Ala.), according to a local report. Fincher, who helped craft a "school choice" bill in the state, joins columnist and conservative activist Quin Hillyer (R), state Rep. Randy Davis (R), businessman Dean Young (R), former Marine James Halland (R), realtor Jessica James (R) and former state senator Bradley Byrne (R) in the primary race.Whoever wins the crowded primary will be the heavy favorite in a district Mitt Romney won with 61 percent of the vote.[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/304123-report-alabama-state-rep-to-join-crowded-field-for-bonner-seat]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/hou ... onner-seat

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Congressman Bonner will start his new job August 16 at the University of Alabama with a $176,000 raise from his current congressional salary.

U.S. Rep Jo Bonner, R-Ala., will earn $350,000 in his new position with the University of Alabama System office.

A salary had not been set on May 23, when Bonner announced he would be resigning from Congress to take the position of vice chancellor for economic development and governmental relations.

Bonner will begin his duties as vice chancellor on Aug. 16, and Reinhart confirmed that the position will be based in Alabama, not Washington, D.C.

Bonner's announcement stunned constituents and politicians alike and raised questions among some about nepotism at the University of Alabama. Bonner's sister and current UA President Judy Bonner was nominated for her position by UA Chancellor Robert Witt in October 2012 following the abrupt exit of then-president Guy Bailey.

Information on Bonner's expected salary comes just on the heels of news that the UA Board of Trustees will consider a tuition raise for all three campuses. The board increased tuition last year by 7 percent at UA to $9,200 for two semesters; 8.5 percent at UAB to $8,400, and 8.6 percent at UAH to $8,794.

[/break1]al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/06/bonner_to_receive_350000_in_un.html]http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/06/b ... in_un.htmlSis outta get more than just a card for her birthday this year.Of course they have to raise tuition. How else are they going to pay for another sinecure of this level? Economic development, they say. I'd say the only thing that's going to get economically developed is his bank account. I also just heard a list of the top paid university officials. Number 2 (#1 was Penn State Graham Spannier) was Auburn's Chancellor, Jay Gogue. That's on top of a fabulous mansion to live in and every perk imaginable. I think of how many scholarships that would fund or how much of a tuition break the students could get so they would not have to go so deep into debt to get a degree.

\http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/1 ... 63954.html

Is he leaving now so someone will have to finish out his term? It's too sad the Dems can't even find anybody to run as a place holder just so the 30-40% of the population have someone to vote for so at least they still recognized as being voting citizens.

I mean this is Mobile and Baldwin county. This is Harper Lee and Truman Capote country along with some other great writers. It's where they kept Geronimo and his band in exile before they sent them back to concentration camps in Oklahoma. It's home to the Poarch band of Creeks, the only official recognized tribe in the state the last I checked. It is also ppsimmons country. He's just across the line in Florida. But his only real credential is his membership on the Board of Regents of the University of Mobile. (much like Liberty U. and Regent's U.)

[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama%27s_1st_congressional_district]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama%27 ... l_district

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Congressman Bonner will be resigning from Congress 2 weeks earlier than previously announced.

“Earlier today, I notified House Speaker John Boehner of my intent to leave Congress at 11:59PM on August 2, 2013,” Bonner wrote in a news release. ”It was always my intent for this seat to be vacant as little time as possible; therefore, I am moving up my original resignation date to ensure that a new representative can be elected and seated in time for the Second Session of the 113th Congress in January 2014.”

Bonner’s exit from this seat has already sparked a crowded GOP primary, with eight Republican candidates announcing their intentions to run for the seat.

Those candidates include former state Sen. Bradley Byrne, who ran a failed gubernatorial bid in 2010, Quin Hillyer, a newspaper columnist who has received the support of former Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., and state Rep. Chad Fincher, among others.

Alabama’s 1st District is rated a Safe Republican seat by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.

[/break1]rollcall.com/jo-bonner-announces-resignation-on-aug-2/]http://atr.rollcall.com/jo-bonner-annou ... -on-aug-2/The Cook Partisan Voting Index rates AL 01 as R+15. Calling the special election "Safe Republican" is not going out on a limb.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 am

This is partly the result of a powerful misunderstanding of the role of public universities that is shared by Republicans, Democrats, and others: the universities ought to be economic engines for their states, perhaps the economic engines. They ought to invent and attract industries and create high-paying jobs. In Connecticut, a Democratic Governor is pursuing this with [link]"NextGenCT",http://uconn.edu/nextgenct/[/link], an investment of $1.5 billion in bonds for "Building Connecticut’s Economic Future Through STEM." "STEM" is the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines.

Universities can indeed contribute to the economic development of states, regions, nations, and the world. It is far from the case that most patents and licenses flow directly from university research, but basic and applied research at universities is a highly significant contributor to scientific and technological advance. It's just not a magic formula for economic development. One of the things that universities have to do is embark on research projects for which there is no guarantee of success.

Politicians point to California as proof of the economic yield of a state investment in higher education. Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, CalTech, and many other institutions are indeed major contributors to what California is and what it can become. However, they don't recognize that California was already a well-endowed state before the state investment in higher education grew. There was a strong foundation of people and industries already in place. Alabama does not have that strong foundation.

Universities, colleges, and two-year institutions help to create the educated citizenry upon which democracy depends. The STEM disciplines alone cannot do this. A liberal arts education afforded by the humanities, arts, and behavioral and social sciences, as well as the STEM disciplines, is the foundation for educating citizens to think critically and use information wisely. Of course, that is not necessarily a good thing from certain perspectives.

It was entirely predictable that a poor state would decide to take this turn. Indeed, Alabama already has ample evidence of what science and technology can do for a state, largely from Federal investments in R&D in Alabama. A larger state investment in science and engineering might be a good idea. The appointment of this new Vice Chancellor might be totally unnecessary to achieve that goal.

The blatant nepotism of this appointment is a matter for the citizens of Alabama to deal with, given that the Board of Trustees has apparently already failed to deal with it. If I had my broom handy, I would sweep out both the President and this new Vice Chancellor and then consider how to make Alabama's universities better. I would ask which should take priority: an investment in higher education or an investment in K-12 education. I would also put tuition increases on hold, raising the possibility that lowering tuition (and increasing state aid while cutting administrative costs) would be a better way to raise Alabama to a state where I would want to live.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm

This is partly the result of a powerful misunderstanding of the role of public universities that is shared by Republicans, Democrats, and others: the universities ought to be economic engines for their states, perhaps the economic engines. They ought to invent and attract industries and create high-paying jobs. In Connecticut, a Democratic Governor is pursuing this with [link]"NextGenCT",http://uconn.edu/nextgenct/[/link], an investment of $1.5 billion in bonds for "Building Connecticut’s Economic Future Through STEM." "STEM" is the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines.I share the Congressional concern that the U.S. is falling far behind in the STEM fields, but find especially the Republican "solutions" to this problem repellent. One of their favorites seems to be things like cutting the salaries of any professor or even grade school teacher who is not in a STEM discipline, such as English teachers. It is as if they view STEM fields as being some kind of modular thing where you can just pump out scientists and engineers (and they can somehow become this without even learning their own language). Education is not just learning to do a job.

I do not believe someone can be a competent scientist or, really, a competent human, without at least some familiarity with the broad range of human knowledge.

This is not to tar STEM field education any more than other higher education in this country. I have as little regard for liberal arts programs that give out degrees to people with no knowledge of science or math, and a couple perfunctory survey courses barely over the level of high school requirements do not fit the bill.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Without a decent edumacation in English, they would end up writing like Orly.... :o :o :o

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm

This is partly the result of a powerful misunderstanding of the role of public universities that is shared by Republicans, Democrats, and others: the universities ought to be economic engines for their states, perhaps the economic engines. They ought to invent and attract industries and create high-paying jobs. In Connecticut, a Democratic Governor is pursuing this with [link]"NextGenCT",http://uconn.edu/nextgenct/[/link], an investment of $1.5 billion in bonds for "Building Connecticut’s Economic Future Through STEM." "STEM" is the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines.I share the Congressional concern that the U.S. is falling far behind in the STEM fields, but find especially the Republican "solutions" to this problem repellent. One of their favorites seems to be things like cutting the salaries of any professor or even grade school teacher who is not in a STEM discipline, such as English teachers. It is as if they view STEM fields as being some kind of modular thing where you can just pump out scientists and engineers (and they can somehow become this without even learning their own language). Education is not just learning to do a job.

I do not believe someone can be a competent scientist or, really, a competent human, without at least some familiarity with the broad range of human knowledge.

This is not to tar STEM field education any more than other higher education in this country. I have as little regard for liberal arts programs that give out degrees to people with no knowledge of science or math, and a couple perfunctory survey courses barely over the level of high school requirements do not fit the bill.I work in an agency that employees hundreds of engineers. An engineer who can't write an intelligible letter, memorandum or permit/license is worthless.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 pm

The rising cost of public college tuition is strongly coupled with declining levels of state support for higher education. The burden has been shifted from all the people of a state to students and their families. This has been made possible because of the availability of Federal loans and a smattering of Federal grants. Many students now graduate from a four-year college with tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and many of them are planning on further professional or graduate education. Universities and colleges, including my own, have been able to raise tuition and other fees with considerable confidence that students will enroll in the needed numbers. Sure, we set aside funding for student aid. It is often insufficient for a kid from a family that is already financially stressed, and a good number of these students are supporting their own families, not being supported by their parents. The idea that public college students come from middle-class two-parent families with 2.1 children is a fiction -- or ought to be a fiction.There was an alternative: maintain public support for higher education at the levels that were common into the 1960's. Then we chose to create a system of loans, with a few grants thrown in. State support could be cut and tuition raised. Colleges became grantors of certifications for the job market, and the public began expecting a college education to have a high economic payoff. Studying Virgil or Caravaggio or Plato or Marx cannot promise that payoff, but the STEM disciplines, business administration, and health care seem to hold such a promise. Thus we get a new vice chancellor for economic development and governmental relations with a salary of $350,000 in a state with a 2011 median household income of $52,762. Don't worry; he'll pay his way, even if the nature of higher education has to be twisted just a bit further to ensure that.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Request the hijack stop. Thank you.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Decaturish June 13, 2013 [link]Rep. Jo Bonner to make more money than you,http://decaturish.wordpress.com/2013/06 ... -than-you/[/link] by Dan Whisenhunt.At the end of the day, will we find that some lawyer – perhaps the state Attorney General – has researched the matter and determined all of this is entirely legal? I bet you Jo Bonner’s new salary we will. As I’ve noted, the polices in question are easily bypassed by anyone interested in doing so.It may be legal, but that doesn’t make it right. Until Alabama’s media, particularly the editorial boards, start promoting this concept, this sort of thing will just keep happening.Never underestimate the power of shame. UAS needs Alabama’s media more than Alabama’s media needs UAS.To Alabama journalists, editorial board members and newspaper publishers: I know it’s hard, but please stop enabling these people. People in Alabama need you. Don’t put the interests of the crony kingdom above the interests of your viewers and readers.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:20 pm

The timeline sought by Governor Robert Bentley (R-AL) to fill the 1st district US House seat has been approved by USDC Judge Myron Thompson of the Middle District of Alabama.Governor Bentley sought a court order in an effort to hold the special election on an expedited schedule. The Governor’s goal is to have Congressional representation for the people of District 1 as quickly as possible while protecting the rights of military and overseas voters.U.S. District Judge Myron Thompson of the Middle District of Alabama entered a court order late Friday afternoon approving the expedited timeline sought by Governor Bentley.Governor Bentley earlier announced the dates of qualification for the special election as August 3 through August 5. Further, Judge Thompson’s order now permits Alabama to hold the expected special election on a timeline that allows a new member of Congress to be seated before Congress convenes in January of 2014.Based on the timeline approved by Judge Thompson, and contained in his order:* The qualification period remains August 3 through August 5.* The special primary election will take place Tuesday, September 24, 2013.* The special primary runoff, if needed, will be held on Tuesday, November 5, 2013.* If a special primary runoff is not required, the special general election will be held on Tuesday, November 5, 2013.* If a special primary runoff is required, the special general election will be held on Tuesday, December 17, 2013.Further, all third-party candidates, independent candidates, and/or minor party candidates seeking to qualify as candidates in the election must file the appropriate paperwork with the Secretary of State no later than September 24, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.[/break1]alabama.gov/news/news_detail.aspx?ID=8037]http://governor.alabama.gov/news/news_d ... px?ID=8037

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:53 pm

And the winners are:

On Tuesday night, [businessman Dean] Young and former state Sen. Bradley Byrne made it into a GOP runoff for the 1st District nomination. Byrne, a 2010 gubernatorial candidate, had the most money and highest name identification of the nine Republicans running in the primary and took 35 percent. But Young stunned Republicans by garnering 23 percent and earning the second spot on the Nov. 5 runoff ballot.

Many local Republicans say Young — who tapped into the social conservative base in Baldwin County by publicly condemning same-sex marriage and invoking the Bible and the Constitution in his ads — has a more motivated base, and thus, a shot at winning the runoff.

Republicans also cited a pledge Young signed to oppose same-sex marriage and his support for changing the state party’s bylaws to expel any members who publicly support gay marriage. He told a local cable affiliate last month, “If you want to have homosexuals pretending like they’re married, then go to the Democrat party.”

[Sharron] Angle’s OurVoice super PAC spent $40,000 on direct mail and television ads for Young’s congressional bid, according to independent expenditure reports, which helped Young compete with Byrnes’ war chest.

[/break1]rollcall.com/social-conservativism-rebounds-in-special-election-primary/]http://atr.rollcall.com/social-conserva ... n-primary/Take a WAG which candidate is the Tea Bagger.

Edit: If Young gets elected a colloquy with him and either Steve King (R-IA 04) or Louie Gohmert (R-TX 01) in the House chamber should be comedy gold.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:33 pm

[/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/dean-young-alabama_n_4179126.html]Birther Surfaces with Usual Birfer Bullshit in Alabama

Birtherism is apparently alive and kicking in Alabama.

Dean Young, one of the runoff contenders for the Republican nomination in Alabama's first congressional district, told The Guardian that President Barack Obama was born in Kenya.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

In an interview published Wednesday, the newspaper asked Young and his opponent, Bradley Byrne, a series of questions. On the list: where was Obama was born?

Byrne, for his part, told the Guardian "he was born in Hawaii and he has produced a birth certificate." Young tried to brush off the question, telling the newspaper "That is what we call the $64,000 question! I have no idea!" After he was pressed for an answer, though, Young said he believes the president was born in Kenya.And the losers circle the wagons.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 pm

From Huffington Post: [/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/alabama-election-2013_n_4171943.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/0 ... 71943.htmlAlabama Election 2013: Bradley Byrne Defeats Dean Young In Congressional RunoffBradley Byrne has won the runoff election in Alabama's 1st district.The Associated Press reported the victory.Byrne, a Democrat until 1997 and a onetime chancellor of the Alabama Community College System, defeated fellow Republican Dean Young, a tea party favorite.Young, a real estate investor, made headlines this week when Mother Jones surfaced a 2002 quote from the tea partier saying gay rights activists should "go back to California." He's made other controversial statements about immgration, religion and President Barack Obama's birthplace.Byrne will battle Democrat Burton LeFlore (D) and Independent candidates James Hall and Curtis Railey in the general election in December. The winner of the general election will fill the seat vacated by former Rep. Jo Bonner (R-Ala.), who announced in May he would resign to take a job with the University of Alabama.more on Dean Young:The Mother Jones Nov. 4, 2013 [/break1]motherjones.com/politics/2013/11/dean-young-bradley-byrne-alabama-gay]http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... labama-gay2013 Alabama 1st Congressional District - Rest of TermBirther Surfaces with Usual Birfer Bullshit in Alabamahttp://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... ng#p559412

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:40 am

That race was too close.I posted about Young here:http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... p559412And the results were: Name Party Votes Vote % Byrne, Bradley GOP 38,150 52% Young, Dean GOP 34,534 48%If yesterday is any indicator of 2014, I'm a little bit afraid. The crazy is still out there.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Every time this race was mentioned on TV or the radio, I heard the loser as "Bradley Dean", the x-gay who, along with Bitter KKKlayman, sued Rachel for slander. Either way, it's a good outcome. \ :D /

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 pm

If yesterday is any indicator of 2014, I'm a little bit afraid. The crazy is still out there.^^^^^ This.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Republican Bradley Byrne easily defeated Democratic candidate Burton LeFlore in the general election held yesterday.

With 64 percent of precincts reporting, the Associated Press called the race for Byrne, who led LeFlore 66 percent to 34 percent.

[/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/12/17/republican-bradley-byrne-wins-alabama-special-election/]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... -election/A Republican victory was never in doubt. The Cook Political Report Partisan Voter Index (PVI) rates the district as R+15.

[/break1]com/file/2013-04-47.pdf]http://cookpolitical.com/file/2013-04-47.pdf

Return to “Election 2013”