2013: CA: Mayor of Los Angeles

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]USA Today,http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... l/2350037/[/link]

Eric Garcetti wins Los Angeles mayor's race

Eric Garcetti has won the race to be the 42nd mayor of Los Angeles, becoming the first Jewish mayor in the city's history. ...

Garcetti, 42, will succeed Antonio Villaraigosa, who was unable to run again because of term limits. Garcetti takes office July 1. ...

Here are five things to know about the new mayor:

Historic election: Garcetti is the first person of Jewish faith to lead Los Angeles. His mother is of Russian Jewish descent. His father, former Los Angeles County District Attorney Gil Garcetti, is Mexican American of Spanish and Italian descent. During the campaign, the mayor-elect described himself as having "an Italian last name" and being "half Mexican and half Jewish."

Obama supporter: He was an early backer of Barack Obama's presidential bid and campaigned for him in Iowa in 2008. Garcetti was co-chairman of Obama's campaign in vote-rich California during the 2012 election. The mayor's job is non-partisan but Garcetti and Greuel, like Villaraigosa, are Democrats. She was a Hillary Rodham Clinton supporter in 2008 and worked in Bill Clinton's administration at the Housing Department.

Union member: Garcetti is a card-carrying member of the Screen Actors Guild, the union that represents actors. He played himself on the soap opera, All My Children, but played a mayor on The Closer. His father was a consulting producer on the cop show that starred Kyra Sedgwick.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Fun fact: The Mayors of America's three largest cities are Jewish.

Of equal significance to Garcetti's election was the re-election defeat of Carmen "Nuch" Trutanich as City Attorney.

Nuch was elected 4 years ago and promised reform, and to lead the City Attorney's office like it had never been led before. After a series of broken promises the scoundrel was thrown out. I had an interaction with him that was typical. He promised to file an amicus brief in a case I had on appeal involving an important question relating to building and safety permits in the City. When it came time for his brief he and his department were AWOL.

Good riddance.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I was surprised it took LA this long.Fun fact: The Mayors of America's three largest cities are Jewish.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele »

I was surprised it took LA this long.Fun fact: The Mayors of America's three largest cities are Jewish.Waiting for the konspiracy kooks to pop out of the woodwork in 3...2...Congratulations Mr. Garcetti.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter »

I knew I would be sad at the results of the election. Two really fabulous candidates both of whom I got to know really well while working on public financing, ethics and campaign finance reform at L.A. City Hall. (I actually knew Wendy before and she is a personal friend and a terrific person on so many levels.) The last two weeks of the campaign were bruising and I will not forgive Eric for the ads he ran. Having worked with them both, I was sorry to see Wendy lose -- she didn't run a smart campaign overall. There were two key things she needed to do to win, IMO, and she didn't do them. (I think her campaign manager is highly over-rated for just those two missing things.) But Eric is terrific, too. I just wish he'd stayed out of the mud in his campaign. The real winner is the City of L.A. for having elected Mike Feuer City Attorney. He ran once before but got clobbered by outside spending from the billboard lobby who he had ticked off aplenty when he sat on the City Council. Mike is one of the smartest, straightest arrows in the pack. It makes him seem kind of undiplomatic and abrasive sometimes, and he's paid a price for that. He's been perceived as not being a team player -- with the team being the very corrupt Democratic State and L.A. County Party apparatus. And I think it's true. He refused often to go along with their "party-for-party-sake" over Democratic principles. In my book, he should wear that as a badge of honor. Ta, ta, Nuch. And good riddance!

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I hate it when good people run lousy campaigns. We would have been MUCH better off with Phil Angelides as governor, but who can win against the terminator? Phil isn't handsome or charismatic but he is whip smart and fairly straight arrow.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Citizen Like Obama

Post by Citizen Like Obama »

Eric Garcetti was my City Counselmember and I liked him. I see we had a pathetic turnout :(

ObjectiveDoubter

Eric Garcetti was my City Counselmember and I liked him. I see we had a pathetic turnout :(Ugly campaigns do that. I think we should have Instant Runoff Voting as is the case in many developed countries, Australia being the most notable for almost a century. It's cost effective, avoids the mud-slinging of run-offs, and the turnout is maxed.http://www.fairvote.org/instant-runoff- ... Z0BF3Idx8E

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

Eric Garcetti was my City Counselmember and I liked him. I see we had a pathetic turnout :(Ugly campaigns do that. I think we should have Instant Runoff Voting as is the case in many developed countries, Australia being the most notable for almost a century. It's cost effective, avoids the mud-slinging of run-offs, and the turnout is maxed.But. . .but. . .we don't live in a developed country. We're Americans.

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey »

Did Antonovich get kicked out?

ObjectiveDoubter

Did Antonovich get kicked out? =)) That's L.A. County.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

I was surprised it took LA this long.Fun fact: The Mayors of America's three largest cities are Jewish.Yeah, I'm kind of surprised as well. Ed Rendell who was mayor of Philadelphia and then governor of PA is Jewish. He wasn't our first Jewish governor, that was Milton Shapp back in the early '70s. And I'm not sure if Philly had a Jewish mayor before Ed.

Welsh Dragon

Post by Welsh Dragon »

Eric Garcetti was my City Counselmember and I liked him. I see we had a pathetic turnout :(Ugly campaigns do that. I think we should have Instant Runoff Voting as is the case in many developed countries, Australia being the most notable for almost a century. It's cost effective, avoids the mud-slinging of run-offs, and the turnout is maxed.http://www.fairvote.org/instant-runoff- ... 3Idx8EJust remember Australia also has mandatory voting. (Which is fine by me but not everyone's cup of tea)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Houston is the 4th largest city. She's gay, but not Jewish.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Eric Garcetti was my City Counselmember and I liked him. I see we had a pathetic turnout :(Is Eric anything like his father? What little I know about Gil Garcetti was not impressive.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Eric Garcetti was my City Counselmember and I liked him. I see we had a pathetic turnout :(Ugly campaigns do that. I think we should have Instant Runoff Voting as is the case in many developed countries, Australia being the most notable for almost a century. It's cost effective, avoids the mud-slinging of run-offs, and the turnout is maxed.http://www.fairvote.org/instant-runoff- ... 0BF3Idx8EI enjoyed elections when I lived in Australia. They last about 6 weeks, and the candidates put out position papers which people actually read.

Return to “Election 2013”