2013 Governor: Virginia

Addie

Post by Addie »

Goody :D
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

[link]WAPO,http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vir ... story.html[/link]

Herring wins Virginia attorney general race, elections board announces

The state Board of Elections on Monday certified Democrat Mark Herring as the winner of the Nov. 5 election for Virginia attorney general.

Herring, a state senator from Loudoun County, beat state Sen. Mark Obenshain (R), by 165 votes out of more than 2 million votes cast.

Obenshain is likely to ask for a recount in the contest, the closest statewide race in Virginia history.And that folks completes the Virginia Trifecta. 8-)Would that something similar could happen in Texas.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Herring, a state senator from Loudoun County, beat state Sen. Mark Obenshain (R), by 165 votes out of more than 2 million votes cast. :swoon: Sekrit Stuffs!
:cheer: :cheer: :banana: :rockon:
Birfers are toast

June bug

Post by June bug »

Not to be a spoilsport, but W4's [link]MSNBC link,http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/virginia-att ... al-recount[/link] warns it might be a tad early for http://replygif.net/i/979.gif

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Not to be a spoilsport, but W4's [link]MSNBC link,http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/virginia-att ... al-recount[/link] warns it might be a tad early forBut but but... Mark says so on FaceBookMark Herring“I am gratified that the State Board of Elections today certified me the winner of a close but fair election. I look forward to serving the people of Virginia as Attorney General. I want to thank and commend the State Board, local voter registrars and election officials, their extraordinary staff and volunteers for their diligent and professional work to bring this historic election to a close. There is no greater American duty than to simply ensure that every voter may freely exercise his or her right to vote, and no greater American tradition than to make sure that that vote is counted. “Today, we move forward to tackle some of the unique challenges of our era which fall under the auspices of the next Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Our guiding principle will be to put the law and Virginians first, instead of adherence to extreme ideology. In the areas of public safety, veterans services, civil rights, consumer and small business protections, and ethics in our public sphere, significant progress can and will be made for Virginians." :D
Birfers are toast

listeme

Post by listeme »

I still say it's very unlikely that MSNBC's dramatic what-if would come to pass.I am a pollyanna and this is a purple state.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

June bug

Post by June bug »

But but but... Mark says so on FaceBookI wouldn't expect Mark to say anything else...but as for us, I don't think we should be counting our http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/download ... .pngbefore they're hatched!

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

As expected...

Obenshain Attorney General Campaign Formally Files For Recount

Snip

"This morning we are filing a petition for recount and a memorandum in support of the recount and it's actually on its way over to the court as we speak," Obenshain attorney Stephen C. Piepgrass said in a conference call with reporters Wednesday morning. "As soon as the petition is filed the process begins for a special recount court to start planning the recount."

Obenshain filing for a recount comes only two days after the Virginia State Board of Elections certified the attorney general race with Obenshain's opponent, state Sen. Mark Herring (D) as the winner. The State Board of Elections certified that Herring won by a slim 165-vote margin, a margin small enough that either candidate could call for a recount.[/break1]com/dc/obenshain-attorney-general-campaign-formally-files-for-recount]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/obensha ... or-recount
Birfers are toast

realist

Post by realist »

Brian W. Schoeneman ‏@BrianSchoeneman 11m

More shots from our testing of voting equipment for the recount.

[/break1]flickr.com/photos/fairfaxcounty/sets/72157638586486475]http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairfaxcou ... 8586486475[/break1]com/BrianSchoeneman]https://twitter.com/BrianSchoeneman
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

The recount in the Virginia Attorney General's race is underway. I think best way to follow is the Twitter hash tag [link]#VAAG,https://twitter.com/search?q=%23vaag&src=hash[/link]Democrat Mark R. Herring’s 165-vote victory in the attorney general race is headed to a recount this week. A total of 133 localities will retabulate 2.2 million ballots, with Fairfax County and the cities of Alexandria and Chesapeake set to start at 7 a.m. today. All other localities will begin counting ballots Tuesday.A three-judge special court in Richmond is expected to determine by Friday whether Herring maintains a lead over Republican Mark D. Obenshain in the closest statewide race in modern Virginia history.[/break1]timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/government-politics/recount-in-attorney-general-race-set-to-start-today/article_2e98ae98-8af4-52a9-8e19-8eda2da40786.html]http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state ... 40786.html
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

realist

Post by realist »

The recount in the Virginia Attorney General's race is underway. I think best way to follow is the Twitter hash tag [link]#VAAG,https://twitter.com/search?q=%23vaag&src=hash[/link]Democrat Mark R. Herring’s 165-vote victory in the attorney general race is headed to a recount this week. A total of 133 localities will retabulate 2.2 million ballots, with Fairfax County and the cities of Alexandria and Chesapeake set to start at 7 a.m. today. All other localities will begin counting ballots Tuesday.A three-judge special court in Richmond is expected to determine by Friday whether Herring maintains a lead over Republican Mark D. Obenshain in the closest statewide race in modern Virginia history.[/break1]timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/government-politics/recount-in-attorney-general-race-set-to-start-today/article_2e98ae98-8af4-52a9-8e19-8eda2da40786.html]http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state ... 40786.htmlAlso the county-by-county spreadsheet which will be updated as the count moves along...[/break1]google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApI-UwWlYOlrdGw4VXJNX3VUYkE1TE81d0xDa3NRMEE&usp=sharing#gid=0]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

The first day was good for Herring. The spreadsheet realist linked shows Herring's lead expanded from +165 to +246.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant »

After two days of recounts, Herring's lead has increased by a little over 600.Even in the counties that went for Obenshain, Herring seems to be gaining more from the recount than Obenshain.Count is supposed to be finished tomorrow.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

After two days of recounts, Herring's lead has increased by a little over 600.Even in the counties that went for Obenshain, Herring seems to be gaining more from the recount than Obenshain.Count is supposed to be finished tomorrow.Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for.Wow! 600 demo votes from ???
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Piffle

Post by Piffle »

I still find it unsettling that the reported changes in the tally far exceed the original margin of victory.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I still find it unsettling that the reported changes in the tally far exceed the original margin of victory.Could it be the result of unsuccessful voter suppression?

listeme

Post by listeme »

The margin has been exceedingly small.The undervotes that have been found have hewed to the percentages (roughly) that the candidates got. So they haven't "found" votes for Herring. They have found votes for both Herring and Obenshain, and each candidate tally has gone up.Fairfax County is the biggest county and the biggest county for democrats, and they are one of the counties that did have to *recount written ballots*. Many of the other counties are *"recounting" electronic ballots*.------ All of this is only my understanding and I may be off on the technical details between the asterisks, some of which may or may not be important. However, this gives you the general picture.
Edit: Tweeter @taniel, one of the kos election wonks says: (1) Not "found," they were not registered by machine. (2) All counties using certain type of machine had a lot of undervotes.

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant »

Anytime you have a race this close, a recount is likely to find more votes than the margin. That's just the statistics.Most of the votes being added now are undervotes, where the machine did not register a vote. In a full recount of this type, the election boards inspect ballots so rejected and see if a vote was actually cast - sometimes people put a check mark instead of filling in a circle, for example, or circle a name rather than filling in anything at all. Those votes are now being counted. The only exception is if someone wrote in the name of a candidate otherwise already on the ballot - under Virginia law, those are rejected.I have never understood how it is that people put a check mark instead of filling in the bubble or the like, not only does it say on the ballot what to do, but at least at my polling places the ballots have a clear example right on the ballot of what to do, but thousands of people around the country still mess it up.

listeme

Post by listeme »

I'm seeing reports that Obenshain will concede this afternoon.Edit to add link:[/break1]washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/obenshain-to-concede-virginia-attorney-generals-race-on-wednesday-in-richmond/2013/12/18/fe85a31c-67e7-11e3-8b5b-a77187b716a3_story.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vir ... story.html

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant »

The Freep thread on this is filled with "Voter Fraud!" "Voter Fraud!" posts over and over.And not just for this race, but they're complaining about it in all three races, even the Lt. Governor's race lost by significantly more.I've said it before - until these people can accept that it's actually possible for their candidates to lose an election - until they accept that they might not be in the majority on some position - they'll never be able to look critically at any of their positions and consider how to make a winning coalition.If your tea partiers are somehow convinced that their positions - no matter how much they lost by - actually won, and only aren't being implemented due to treachery (from Democrats, RINOs, whatever), they'll just get crazier and crazier.

listeme

Post by listeme »

Obenshain did indeed concede.I'm still irritated that the media and some Democratic fundraisers were suggesting that it would go to the legislature which would surely result in shenanigans, blah blah. I think that was never a real possibility and it only made people angry and/or fearful.Ugly.

listeme

Post by listeme »

The Freep thread on this is filled with "Voter Fraud!" "Voter Fraud!" posts over and over.And not just for this race, but they're complaining about it in all three races, even the Lt. Governor's race lost by significantly more.I've said it before - until these people can accept that it's actually possible for their candidates to lose an election - until they accept that they might not be in the majority on some position - they'll never be able to look critically at any of their positions and consider how to make a winning coalition.If your tea partiers are somehow convinced that their positions - no matter how much they lost by - actually won, and only aren't being implemented due to treachery (from Democrats, RINOs, whatever), they'll just get crazier and crazier.Yes. It's deliberate delegitimizing.Not only will it get crazier, but they won't consider the winners to be actual leaders.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I have never understood how it is that people put a check mark instead of filling in the bubble or the like, not only does it say on the ballot what to do, but at least at my polling places the ballots have a clear example right on the ballot of what to do, but thousands of people around the country still mess it up.That's what happened in Minnesota when Al Franken won, too.What it means is that the very dumbest voters in this great land of ours are the ones who decide exceedingly close elections. The margin of victory is the guy who couldn't figure out how to mark a ballot properly ... who was too dumb to do it right, even though he was trying. By such people are great leaders chosen. :lol:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

realist

Post by realist »

Obenshain did indeed concede.

I'm still irritated that the media and some Democratic fundraisers were suggesting that it would go to the legislature which would surely result in shenanigans, blah blah. I think that was never a real possibility and it only made people angry and/or fearful.

Ugly.[link]Politico,http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/m ... z2nrm7LQEE[/link]

GOP Sen. Mark Obenshain concedes in Virginia attorney general race

Virginia Republican state Sen. Mark Obenshain conceded the attorney general’s race Wednesday afternoon, ushering Democrat Mark Herring into office and giving Democrats their first clean sweep of the top five statewide offices since 1969.

“The recount is almost over, and in this contest for attorney general … it’s become apparent that our campaign is going to come up a few votes short,” Obenshain said, noting that he’d already called Herring to offer his congratulations. “It was a vigorous and hard-fought campaign, but it’s over.”

Obenshain’s concession will end a recount process that began on Nov. 5, when the two candidates were separated by a razor-thin election night margin.

Early results from the recount, which began Monday and was scheduled to conclude this week, show Herring widening an earlier lead of 165 votes. As of Wednesday morning, Herring’s lead had increased to more than 800 votes, according to Herring’s campaign, with just under three-quarters of the ballots counted.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “Election 2013”