Rating the Polls

Sterngard Friegen

Rating the Polls

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:57 pm

FiveThirtyEight.com has an interesting piece on the reliability and skews of the polls. Of the very large number, only 13 rate A or A+ (5 in the latter category). Rasmussen is a C+. And it skews Republican very strongly.

I'm putting this here so we can refer to it when we get polls that seem, shall we say. biased. Like Rasmussen most of the time, until election eve.

BillTheCat

Re: Rating the Polls

Post by BillTheCat » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:FiveThirtyEight.com has an interesting piece on the reliability and skews of the polls. Of the very large number, only 13 rate A or A+ (5 in the latter category). Rasmussen is a C+. And it skews Republican very strongly.

I'm putting this here so we can refer to it when we get polls that seem, shall we say. biased. Like Rasmussen most of the time, until election eve.
538 is the only - ONLY - source I trust on these matters. Everything else is unproven noise.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:21 pm

BillTheCat wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:FiveThirtyEight.com has an interesting piece on the reliability and skews of the polls. Of the very large number, only 13 rate A or A+ (5 in the latter category). Rasmussen is a C+. And it skews Republican very strongly.

538 is the only - ONLY - source I trust on these matters. Everything else is unproven noise.
For what it's worth, I trust the Princeton Electoral Consortium much more than 538. I believe that their methodology is better.

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/05/3 ... argin-4-2/

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:25 pm

An interesting website is http://www.electoral-vote.com/ .

They aren't doing it yet, but in past elections, they compile and compare all the polls, creating a sort of "metapoll". Interestingly, last time around they provide the results both with and without Rasmussen because of their fairly obvious Republican bias.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:37 pm

He who pays for the poll gets a poll in his favor.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:12 pm

ZekeB wrote:He who pays for the poll gets a poll in his favor.
Not always true for internal polling. Sometimes you get bad news. You know what tabs you want to keep tabs on :mrgreen: and you know your strengths and weaknesses, so you know what's happening.

Unless, of course, you're Mitt Rmoney. He had too much money to lose. So his internal pollsters made sure he was happy. Right up until 7:01 PM CST on election night.

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:12 pm

I like Sam and Nate both -- slightly different approaches. I like Benchmarkpolitics, which is demographics-based.

As far as the pollsters, I agree strongly with 538's ranking.

I also really like this topic. Thanks, Stern :lovestruck:

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
ZekeB wrote:He who pays for the poll gets a poll in his favor.
Not always true for internal polling. Sometimes you get bad news. You know what tabs you want to keep tabs on :mrgreen: and you know your strengths and weaknesses, so you know what's happening.

Unless, of course, you're Mitt Rmoney. He had too much money to lose. So his internal pollsters made sure he was happy. Right up until 7:01 PM CST on election night.
I'll never forget the interview NPR did with Karl Rove a few weeks before a presidential election (it must have been 2008 or 2012, I forget which). Karl said something to the effect that the data shows the Republican candidate is going to win, and the reporter correctly pointed out that the polls were clearly showing the Republican would lose. Karl responded with (and this is nearly a quote): You have your data, but I'm looking at the REAL data.

:lol:

Am I being detained?

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Though it was, in fact, NPR, and Rove is, in fact, a blowhard asshole, that exchange with NPR's Robert Siegel was in 2006, just as the Republicans were about to lose both the House and the Senate, Rove's THE math notwithstanding:
SIEGEL: I'm looking at all the same polls that you are looking at.

ROVE: No, you are not. I'm looking at 68 polls a week for candidates for the US House and US Senate, and Governor and you may be looking at 4-5 public polls a week that talk attitudes nationally.

SIEGEL: I don't want to have you to call races...

ROVE: I'm looking at all of these Robert and adding them up. I add up to a Republican Senate and Republican House. You may end up with a different math but you are entitled to your math and I'm entitled to THE math.

SIEGEL: I don't know if we're entitled to a different math but your...

ROVE: I said THE math.
It's worth noting that people still listen to this asshole.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:40 pm

listeme wrote:I like Sam and Nate both -- slightly different approaches. I like Benchmarkpolitics, which is demographics-based.

As far as the pollsters, I agree strongly with 538's ranking.

I also really like this topic. Thanks, Stern :lovestruck:
:notworthy:

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Family Liberty Patriot wrote:Though it was, in fact, NPR, and Rove is, in fact, a blowhard asshole, that exchange with NPR's Robert Siegel was in 2006, just as the Republicans were about to lose both the House and the Senate, Rove's THE math notwithstanding:
SIEGEL: I'm looking at all the same polls that you are looking at.

ROVE: No, you are not. I'm looking at 68 polls a week for candidates for the US House and US Senate, and Governor and you may be looking at 4-5 public polls a week that talk attitudes nationally.

SIEGEL: I don't want to have you to call races...

ROVE: I'm looking at all of these Robert and adding them up. I add up to a Republican Senate and Republican House. You may end up with a different math but you are entitled to your math and I'm entitled to THE math.

SIEGEL: I don't know if we're entitled to a different math but your...

ROVE: I said THE math.
It's worth noting that people still listen to this asshole.
Well, I'm simply amazed that you not only remembered this, but was able to pull it up from deep within the interwebz.

:worship:

Am I being detained?

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:19 pm

Well, I laughed my fat ass off, I can tell you. It was a memorable night.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Return to “Election 2016”