(Former) Sheriff David Clarke

phaseolus

Re: (Former) Sheriff David Clarke

Post by phaseolus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

From my local alternative weekly -- The 'Terrible Man Theory' of David Clarke
I can’t prove Clarke hasn’t always been the vicious, right-wing extremist everyone sees today, but when I first met him shortly before his appointment, he came off as a decent guy. I was one of those hopeful about his political future. But very quickly you could almost see him changing before your eyes. I’ve always thought the change was driven by two ugly, destructive forces that became entwined in modern America: Republican politics and right-wing talk radio.

Being on right-wing radio helped Clarke politically. But it also pushed him to become more and more outrageous. If you want to attract attention, claim Black Lives Matter is secretly in league with ISIS to destroy America. If your primary audience is white racists, pander to racial prejudice and say African Americans sell drugs not because so many are shut out of the legitimate economy, but “because they’re uneducated, they’re lazy, and they’re morally bankrupt.”

There’s always been a lucrative speaking circuit before white supremacists and other right-wing extremists for “good blacks” willing to feed racial hatred. Soon, Clarke was more than doubling his public salary and basking in the adulation of some very twisted white folks. But it was Clarke’s public job that took the most toxic turn as he sought national recognition as racist Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s natural successor.

It starts with feeding inmates a repulsive, inedible mixture of food scraps as punishment for misbehavior. In any American jail, misbehavior is often a direct consequence of the large number of mentally ill inmates warehoused there. Once you begin punishing mental illness rather than treating it and feeding the mentally ill dog food, it’s a short leap to withholding drinking water entirely. That will teach them to stop acting so crazy.
I'd forgotten he was originally appointed by one of our more forgettable governors.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 pm

I have to remark, that with all the whinging from the poots over terrible jail conditions all over the country with comparisons to the Holocaust (Sleim has a new one today), why - why -are they not all over Clark's story and the conditions in his jail? I guess Konstitutional sheriffs have different standards to live up to :sarcasm:

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 am

Kendra wrote:I have to remark, that with all the whinging from the poots over terrible jail conditions all over the country with comparisons to the Holocaust (Sleim has a new one today), why - why -are they not all over Clark's story and the conditions in his jail? I guess Konstitutional sheriffs have different standards to live up to :sarcasm:
They ain't in his House of Horrors. That's only for the proles.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Link, in which our county Sheriff's department's Facebook page returns to professionalism
Yes, although the page—ostensibly the official page of the entire sheriff’s office—did feature occasional community outreach pictures or tributes to fallen officers, most of it was dedicated to one subject: Clarke. Idiotic beefs with County Executive Chris Abele and the “Urinal Sentinel,” moronic posturing and textbook “tough-guy” talk, rote cries of “fake news,” and zany memes where Clarke threatened to murder people were the norm. Clarke seemed to be pounding out the updates himself—even if many of them were written in the third-person and cloaked in transparent “Sheriff Clarke says…” intros.

But now, under the supervision of acting sheriff Richard Schmidt, the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page is the model of restraint and professionalism. “I don’t Twitter. I’m not real good with Facebook,” Schmidt has said. It shows (thank goodness). With that in mind, let’s look at some enlightening “then” (Clarke) and “now” (Schmidt) comparisons…
h/t Patrick Tomlinson's entertaining Twitter feed

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Hunh. Maybe this is why Clarke didn't get a job in the Trump admin...
CNN)Former Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke must revise his master's thesis or risk losing his degree in security studies from the Naval Postgraduate School, according to documents CNN's KFile obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The school arrived at its decision after a lengthy investigation triggered by a May CNN KFile report. The story revealed that Clarke's 2013 thesis, entitled "Making U.S. security and privacy rights compatible," contained language lifted from numerous sources, including multiple ACLU reports, the 9/11 Commission Report, The Washington Post, former President George W. Bush's book "Decision Points" and others. In all the instances KFile found, Clarke credited sources with a footnote but did not indicate with quotation marks that he was using the language verbatim.

:snippity:

The Naval Postgraduate School's dean of students, Cdr. Paul Rasmussen, wrote in a July letter to Clarke obtained by KFile that he concurred with a finding of an "Honor Code Board" that the thesis was "in violation" of the school's honor code. The dean wrote that he further determined that Clarke's "violation was not a result of any intentional deception or misappropriation efforts." The letter informed Clarke that he had until October 23 -- 100 days -- to submit a revised thesis or NPS would "initiate degree revocation."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/politics/ ... index.html

Oopsie. Plagiarism is of the devil. And it can still be the kiss of death in politics.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:33 am

He was on Hannity and... he can't wear the uniform any more! :thumbs: :lol: What is he wearing?
Clarke.JPG
As petulant and ignorant as ever. Geraldo must regret being Donald's friend every day.

https://youtu.be/lD7cb3HqgK8?t=34s

:lol: :lol: And he was a terrible spokesman for his PAC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46 am

The dean wrote that he further determined that Clarke's "violation was not a result of any intentional deception or misappropriation efforts."
I'm going to call BS on this. When I was a lowly undergraduate and didn't know nothing from nothing, and had no guidance whatsoever (long story), I knew to put quotations in them there quotation mark thingies, and I knew to cite where the quotations came from.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:58 am

Geraldo Rivera is a clown trying to give advice to a lunatic about an idiotic idea. If Rivera had an ounce of self respect he'd stop acting like a sycophant.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:07 am

Rivera, self respect, like ethics, if he ever had any, long gone by now.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”