Squeeky Fromm, Girl Reporter.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Re: Squeeky Fromm, Girl Reporter.

Post by Lunaluz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Sigh, I wish Parsifal.. Fair Winds and Following Seas.. :)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:31 am

Reality Check wrote:I may have told this story before but I once worked with a former Secret Service agent who was on duty the day that Squeaky Fromme tried to kill President Ford. He said she didn't know how to use the gun (M1911 semi automatic pistol) or she would have killed Ford. She didn't realize there wasn't a bullet in the chamber and you had to pull the slide back to move a bullet from the magazine from the chamber. She fired but nothing happened.
Yeah, and the imitation Squeeky claimed that she did know that and it meant she wasn't really trying to kill President Ford.

When Squeeky was running the Birther Think Tank, he was very clever and funny. He got deep under Mario Apuzzo's skin. One of those people with some genius, but his brain is wired in some really screwy way.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 am

Foggy wrote:When Squeeky was running the Birther Think Tank, he was very clever and funny. He got deep under Mario Apuzzo's skin. One of those people with some genius, but his brain is wired in some really screwy way.
Agreed. It went downhill fast when it became a George Zimmerman lovefest with RamboIke.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 am

Isn't Penelope Dreadful another nom de plume for her/him?

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:39 am

Would somebody who knows who Squeeky is, please, at least reveal what pronoun we should use?

Thank you.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:52 am

RoadScholar wrote:Would somebody who knows who Squeeky is, please, at least reveal what pronoun we should use?

Thank you.
It

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:59 am

Thing?

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:00 am

Herm.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 am

Aw, you're no fun; you fell right over.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 am

Just a matter of time before herm finds out herm is on our radar again. Herm loves the attention.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Reality Check wrote:Isn't Penelope Dreadful another nom de plume for her/him?
Yes. A couple years ago, Gene Howington, a former Turley guest blogger, led an exodus of several other guest bloggers to a new site called Flowers for Socrates. Squeeky started up a parody site called "Pansies for Plato" and made up caricatures of the authors and wrote satire articles under those names. "Penelope Dreadful" is one of them. About a year ago Gene chased off the two authors (including the one Penelope Dreadful was based on) that were generating more than 90% of the content on FFS and deleted the work of one of them (over 300 blog posts along with the comment threads). I haven't checked in on FFS in a long time, but after Mike and Elaine left it pretty much became a ghost town. I'd say Squeeky won that engagement of the Turley civil war quite convincingly due to Gene's self-inflicted wounds.

Full disclosure: I was listed as an author on FFS until sometime after the incident I described although I never actually posted an article there. I have nothing to do with it anymore.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:40 pm

RoadScholar wrote:Would somebody who knows who Squeeky is, please, at least reveal what pronoun we should use?

Thank you.
Ze or zir.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:04 pm

mimi wrote:
bob wrote:
kate520 wrote:ETA: I never actually thought Squeeky was for real, in any of his/her political attitudes.
Sqeeky Fromm, Girl Reporter, was neither girl nor reporter.
squeaky was a troll from day one. Still a troll. it's all about getting a reaction. And no, it's not nice.
Really? All that work, just to get people hate you? Seriously? I can see that as a short term "project", but years and years? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

And if it is somehow someone trying to ultra-Poe for years, or if it's a joke, it's not funny and they are doing it wrong. :nope:

The obfuscation here regarding this person isn't helping either. :blackeye:

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:16 pm

What does that mean? Fromm has decided to remain anonymous. Consider herm to be whatever you want. But no one here is required to reveal who herm is. And you should judge herm on herm writings. I think herm has problems and is using the Internet as therapy. And I'm no longer a fan nor amused by herm.

vic

Post by vic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:48 pm

Accepting that Squeeky is trolling, and doesn't hold the views that he/she/it/herm present, I still find it distasteful.

In my mind, there are 10* types of trolls - those who go to the enemy camp and troll with either facts to edumcate, or with exagerated falsehoods to show illustrate the wrongness of the enemy's position, and those who are trying to rile up their target. I'd put our dear dick-tater foggy in the first group, and squeeky (assuming troll) in the second.

That second type of troll reminds me of the uncle who, at a family gathering, would target some child with nonsense or insults until the child cried or reacted angrily, at which time the child was reprimanded or punished. Or the bully at school who keeps slapping someone, or pulling the hair of the girl sitting in front of them, until the target reacts and gets sent to the office, since the bully was careful to hide the provocation from the teacher.

And I never found the second type acceptable. (though I might sometimes have a guilty laugh about it)

* as a programmer

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:51 pm

BillTheCat wrote:Really? All that work, just to get people hate you? Seriously? I can see that as a short term "project", but years and years? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.
It's no weirder than the Munchausen by Internet people who spend literally years building up multiple false identities to support their primary characters in their attention-seeking invented tragedies. A normal person wonders what kind of person would invest that much time and effort into devising an increasingly-elaborate fiction designed only to tug at strangers' heartstrings (and collect cash). Then there are the mote typical trolls, who instead of putting all their effort into one big opus, instead put in considerable time and ingenuity into posting as many seemingly-plausible-yet-incredibly-provocative stories as possible, just to see how many people will fall for it or find it amusing or enraging.

I'm using troll in its original meaning, as opposed to its now popular definition of a person who posts online just to be contrary and/or disagreeable.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:56 pm

I agree with :sterngard: (except about using the silly term "herm"---Squeeky/Penelope has self-identified as female so I'll use that set of pronouns for her*). Squeeky's self-medicating blogging is past its sell-by date, but I've still interacted with her civilly within the last couple of months. I don't know who Squeeky is (and don't really care either), but there is more than sufficient material to judge her based on what she's chosen to share. Regarding what I said, I'd be happy to try and clarify anything you'd like, but there are things about the situation I can't talk about either.

* per my personal policy. As George Carlin said, "these are my rules, I make them up".** :towel:

** Note to :sterngard: : the placement of the period isn't a mistake, it's an act of civil disobedience to a bad grammatical rule.
Power to the people!
:geezertowel:

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:59 pm

vic wrote: In my mind, there are 10* types of trolls
Most of what we call trolling nowadays used to be called flaming.

Mike Reed's illustrated dictionary of Flame Warriors is a hilarious resource.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Off Topic
Slarti, your act of civil disobedience is noted. If you use podium when you mean lectern, however, I'll have to excommunicate you.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:06 pm

DejaMoo wrote:

I love that site! If you want to start a flame war that will turn a thriving online community into a post-apocalyptic wasteland just start classifying the members according to those archetypes (that would make you Godzilla, by the way :towel: ).

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Off Topic
Slarti, your act of civil disobedience is noted. If you use podium when you mean lectern, however, I'll have to excommunicate you.
Oy gevalt!

(where's the Joo smiley? :confused: )

Don't worry, if I say that I stood behind the podium or stood on the lectern I'll be using the terms correctly (if unusually).
:towel:

vic

Post by vic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:14 pm

DejaMoo wrote:

I don't believe the two versions I identified qualify as flame warriors. To my mind, flaming requires an escalating argument between two sides. Perhaps I should have used Dr Conspiracy instead of foggy as the example for the first type; since I don't go to the enemy camp, I'm not sure how far foggy goes with his attacks. Squeeky did a lot of her trolling on her own site, trolling for a reaction.

I think Mike Reed's site's definition of trolling fits what I described:
Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait
The term "flamebait" can be used to describe the troller's action, but it is still a troll.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Is there a title for someone who trolls with the intent of shutting down the "debate"? (Because the debate itself is stupid.)

"Asking for a friend."

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:32 pm

bob wrote:Is there a title for someone who trolls with the intent of shutting down the "debate"? (Because the debate itself is stupid.)

"Asking for a friend."
The intent (and result) of trolling is almost always shutting down the debate. Regardless of the justification, it would still be trolling in my opinion.

vic,

I think the internet archetypes are valid even if there is no flaming going on.

vic

Post by vic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
The intent (and result) of trolling is almost always shutting down the debate. Regardless of the justification, it would still be trolling in my opinion.

vic,

I think the internet archetypes are valid even if there is no flaming going on.
Are you agreeing with me that squeeky trolled, or disagreeing? I'm confused. My position was that it was trolling according to the original (internet) definition of that term, rather than flaming. If there isn't flaming, it isn't flaming or flame war.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”