Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

vic

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by vic » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:Well. There's an ugly new low point in anti-Semitism.

"You guys are not really Jews. We are the authentic ones."

That means actual bona fide Jews are what, fake Jews? Impostors? Throwbacks? Usurpers?!

Oy.
Don't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy all over????? :sick:
Off Topic
But in their mind, it's ok. On another occasion, they informed me that because they liked when I visited, they had baptized* me in the Mormon church so that I would be able to join them in Mormon heaven.

* I'm not sure how they believed they did this. There's "baptism by proxy" which is supposed to be used for dead ancestors (and has in the past been applied to non-ancestors, such as the parents of Simon Wiesenthal), but as far as I can tell, I'm not dead.

Sam the Centipede

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Ha vic! Now you must stop drinking coffee and buy some magic underwear!

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31 am

RTH10260 wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:Well. There's an ugly new low point in anti-Semitism.

"You guys are not really Jews. We are the authentic ones."

That means actual bona fide Jews are what, fake Jews? Impostors? Throwbacks? Usurpers?!

Oy.
But havent the really Real Jews been spotted in the UK as lost and not yet really recovered tribe :?:
no, they're the crazy Black Israelites in Times Square.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:12 pm

OK, to drag us back to the topic, federal judge Ted Stewart decided yesterday that Lyle Jeffs, full brother of Warren, was going to stay in jail until the trial. There was a real concern that the judge would let Lyle out as he had let Seth Jeffs (another full brother of Warren) out pending trial.
In an order issued Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Ted Stewart said there were significant concerns that Jeffs would intimidate witnesses or be a flight risk. He pointed to Jeffs’ actions while his brother, FLDS leader Warren Jeffs, was on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list.

“The evidence shows that Defendant acted as a courier and provided hundreds of thousands of dollars to the fugitive Jeffs, no doubt prolonging his flight from justice. While this information is dated, the fact that Defendant Lyle Jeffs was so willing to assist Jeffs in evading capture provides compelling evidence that he himself is a flight risk. All of this evidence weighs strongly in favor of detention,” Judge Stewart wrote.
http://fox13now.com/2016/04/07/flds-lea ... n-in-jail/

And here's the judge's order:

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 pm

Makes me wonder how Seth Jeffs got let out. :confused:

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:36 pm

Plutodog wrote:Makes me wonder how Seth Jeffs got let out. :confused:
You're not the only one.

spiduh

Post by spiduh » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:34 pm

SALT LAKE CITY — A financial settlement has apparently been reached between the federal government and the border towns of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Ariz., accused of discriminating against non-members of Warren Jeffs’ polygamous church.

In a settlement agreement filed in a federal court in Phoenix and obtained by FOX 13, the U.S. Justice Department announced that the defendants had agreed to pay $55,000 each to the federal government to settle claims of violation of the Fair Housing Act. In addition, the towns would pay about $1.4 million to nine individuals who were found to have been discriminated against.
http://fox13now.com/2016/04/19/settleme ... imination/

“If they kill me, grab my phone.” –Ammon Bundy (Reuters)
"Yes, I Did Turn the Flying Monkeys Loose!" -Anna von Reitz (FB)
"I 'Self Identify' as a female" -Jon Ritzheimer (FB)

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri May 13, 2016 1:48 am

Food Stamp Trial May Be Pushed Back

It might be a while before numerous leaders of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (FLDS) go on trial for misusing food stamps from the federal government.

While the trial is scheduled for later this month, there are still too many decisions left for the judge to decide on, so the trial will likely be pushed into June.

On Wednesday a public defender for the accused suggested that the judge allow as a defense, the fact that under their constitutional rights, these FLDS leaders could do with what they please with these food stamps.

Prosecutors in the case say “hogwash;” that these food stamps were distributed to specific members of the cult and their children.

The public defender told the judge that the entire history of the FLDS must be studied before a decision can be made about the food stamps.
<that is the entire article>
http://www.lakepowelllife.com/food-stam ... shed-back/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri May 13, 2016 1:52 am

FLDS members will argue religious right to hand over food stamps in fraud case

In a new court filing, lawyers for Fundamentalist LDS Church bishop Lyle Jeffs and others charged in a massive welfare fraud scheme indicate they will push forward with claims of a religious right to hand over food stamps to the polygamous church.

Defense lawyers said they just need more time to articulate their arguments, pointing out there are 42 terabytes of data the federal government claims it has as evidence against the 11 FLDS members charged in the food stamp fraud case. So far, the defense said it has received maybe 10 percent of the overall discovery materials it is entitled to.

“The questions of whether or not the defense should be entitled to present a constitutional challenge to the statutes and regulations cited by the government or whether facts or arguments relating to the religious practices of the defendants will be relevant at trial in this matter cannot be considered in a vacuum. Such questions are intrinsically connected to the facts of the case, which have yet to be fully disclosed by the government or explored by the defense,” Jeffs’ defense attorney Kathryn Nester wrote in a motion obtained by FOX 13.

Federal prosecutors charged 11 people, including FLDS leaders Lyle Jeffs and Seth Jeffs (brothers to imprisoned polygamist leader Warren Jeffs). They are accused of ordering FLDS members on Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to hand over their benefits to church leaders to do with as they wished. Prosecutors have claimed the scheme bilked taxpayers out of more than $12 million.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for Utah has filed a motion with a federal judge, seeking to block the FLDS defendants from claiming a “religious right” to hand over their SNAP benefits. They argue that federal laws dictate SNAP benefits are for household use only, and cannot be given to the FLDS Church.
<snip>
http://fox13now.com/2016/05/11/flds-mem ... raud-case/

At the link, it says: Read the filing by Lyle Jeffs’ defense attorney here:
It is for: Case 2:16-cr-00082-TS-RTB Document 193 Filed 05/10/16 Page 2 of 5
I am not able to scroll and view the whole thing. Don't see another link either.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

spiduh

Post by spiduh » Fri May 13, 2016 5:57 am

It is on Scribd, Response by Lyle Jeffs to motion in limine on Scribd: https://www.scribd.com/book/312261419
Five pages there. Thanks Dolly!

“If they kill me, grab my phone.” –Ammon Bundy (Reuters)
"Yes, I Did Turn the Flying Monkeys Loose!" -Anna von Reitz (FB)
"I 'Self Identify' as a female" -Jon Ritzheimer (FB)

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sat May 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Lyle Jeffs wants out of jail.
Lyle Jeffs says he should be let out of jail because his trial in a multimillion-dollar food-stamp-fraud scheme has been pushed back to October.

The FLDS leader's attorney says in a new court filing Thursday that her client's constitutional rights will be violated if he's kept behind bars until October.

:snippity:

Federal public defender Kathryn Nester says none of the other defendants have tried to flee, disproving the prosecution's theory that none of them respect court orders due to their religious beliefs.

In April, U.S. District Judge Ted Stewart denied Jeffs' previous request to be let out, saying the polygamous sect leader couldn't be trusted to adhere to conditions of release because of his loyalty to his brother, imprisoned Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints President Warren Jeffs.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/3941370-155/story.html

And no, Lyle can't be trusted. He's the guy in charge now that Warren's locked up for the rest of his natural life.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat May 28, 2016 2:03 pm

There is substantial evidence that the Prophet, Warren Jeffs, is still running the FLDS. Lyle Jeffs is probably the executive in charge of implementing those orders.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:45 pm

While this is not directly related to the food stamp fraud conspiracy and money laundering, it does have to do with the FLDS.
In an order issued Wednesday, U.S. District Court Judge Tena Campbell ruled that Brian Jessop and Paragon Contractors was in contempt of court for the 2012 incident, where more than a thousand FLDS children were seen picking pecans at a Hurricane farm. It was in violation of a 2007 order on child labor law violations.

“The children were not volunteers. Also, much of the work occurred during school hours and was hazardous, so that work does not qualify for FLSA’s agricultural exemption,” the judge wrote.
In her ruling, Judge Campbell pointed some of the blame at the FLDS Church itself, which she said ordered members to go to work on the farm
Judge Campbell did not decide penalties. She asked Jessop, the company and the Labor Department to file briefs later this month before making a determination.
More at the link: http://fox13now.com/2016/06/01/federal- ... iolations/

Decision at Scribd:

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I forgot to mention that court met on June 9 and Lyle Jeffs was let out at that time, with an ankle monitor. The judge was warned this was a bad idea, and today that became absolutely clear as Lyle had absconded over the weekend.

http://fox13now.com/2016/06/20/flds-lea ... d-custody/

No idea if there is any bail money at stake. He could be literally anywhere in the USA, though, so keep your eyes peeled.

Cato

Post by Cato » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:49 pm

As I have somehow managed to make my way through my life without need for a lawyer to defend me I am ignorant:

When a lawyer argues for a defendant to be released prior to trial, does he/she have any accountability?

The authors of the Constitution did not have the Constitutional authority to write the Constitution, therefore the Constitution is unconstitutional. And I can do what I want.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Cato wrote:As I have somehow managed to make my way through my life without need for a lawyer to defend me I am ignorant:

When a lawyer argues for a defendant to be released prior to trial, does he/she have any accountability?
So long as she didn't advise the client that it is OK to flee, doesn't assist in the flight, and doesn't asdist in temaining hidden, I don't think the lawyer has any liability.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:21 pm

The lawyer does not have any personal accountability if the client skips -- unless it comes to light that the lawyer knew (or worse, advised or helped arrange) for the client to skip. In Jeff's case, the flight risk is very considerable, to the point where a court should not consider him for pre-trial release. He has ample resources - and track record - for hiding and absconding, including across the Mexican border. And he's facing numerous charges capable of putting him behind bars for several decades. I might add that his loopy announcements issued from behind bars indicate that normal logic doesn't seem to work on him, so that the usual inducements of bail or ankle monitors and such are not sufficient to assure his appearance for trial.

If the lawyer can be shown to have been complicit in his client hitting the road, the lawyer gets disbarred, for starts, and possibly prosecuted for aiding and abetting, possibly for criminal contempt, possible for other things. It's a hell of a way to end a career. (Sometimes, when the fugitive is finally caught, he tries to shift the blame to his lawyer with pure fiction, a final demonstration of ingratitude.)

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Fortinbras wrote:The lawyer does not have any personal accountability if the client skips -- unless it comes to light that the lawyer knew (or worse, advised or helped arrange) for the client to skip. In Jeff's case, the flight risk is very considerable, to the point where a court should not consider him for pre-trial release. He has ample resources - and track record - for hiding and absconding, including across the Mexican border. And he's facing numerous charges capable of putting him behind bars for several decades. I might add that his loopy announcements issued from behind bars indicate that normal logic doesn't seem to work on him, so that the usual inducements of bail and such are no sufficient to assure his appearance for trial.

If the lawyer can be shown to have been complicit in his client hitting the road, the lawyer gets disbarred, for starts, and possibly prosecuted for aiding and abetting, possibly for criminal contempt, possible for other things. It's a hell of a way to end a career.
According to the article:
Jeffs' defense attorney, Kathryn Nester, did not know that her client had absconded until told of the reports by FOX 13. Over the weekend, she petitioned the court to modify the terms of his release, including allowing him to do consulting work for his son and have some church services brought to him in Salt Lake City.

gshevlin

Post by gshevlin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Fercryingoutloud...how naive are these judges? The Jeffs family clearly only believes in following God's Law, and they regard the laws that the rest of us live by as of no practical consequence.
The decision by Lyle Jeffs to apparently abscond was utterly predictable, and the judge who agreed to this should be the one having to answer awkward questions like "WTF made you think this was a good idea?"

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Up to a certain point a lawyer is expected to move for pretrial release, even if his client is charged with multiple murder. But when the situation is that bad, or as bad as in Jeffs's case, the lawyer is prepared to have an instant No and not quibble with the judge.

Yes, frankly, the judge should have been a bit more on the ball on this. And I would have expected the Prosecutor to bounce up with 101 reasons why letting Jeffs walk around the block, much less be released for weeks at a time, was a Very Bad idea.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:50 pm

mmmirele wrote:I forgot to mention that court met on June 9 and Lyle Jeffs was let out at that time, with an ankle monitor. The judge was warned this was a bad idea, and today that became absolutely clear as Lyle had absconded over the weekend.

http://fox13now.com/2016/06/20/flds-lea ... d-custody/

No idea if there is any bail money at stake. He could be literally anywhere in the USA, though, so keep your eyes peeled.
He could be in Mexico or Canada as well, both countries have populations of FLDS.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:02 pm

RVInit wrote:He could be in Mexico or Canada as well, both countries have populations of FLDS.

He was long gone and over a border before his absence was even discovered is my bet. All set up well in advance on a just-in-case-he-gets released basis.

Lots of help available along the way to protect him. Same as he protected his brother.

Cato

Post by Cato » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 pm

This is why I couldn't be a criminal defense lawyer. I would just have an ethical problem asking for pre-trial release for someone, like Jeffs, who I felt was a flight risk and danger to the community.

The authors of the Constitution did not have the Constitutional authority to write the Constitution, therefore the Constitution is unconstitutional. And I can do what I want.

LeGargantua

Post by LeGargantua » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:03 am

Only solution to avoid this: let the judge stay in prison until the defendant is caught again ....

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:56 am

LeGargantua wrote:Only solution to avoid this: let the judge stay in prison until the defendant is caught again ....
That's the NLA and Dowdell way.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”