Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Dan1100

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Getting back to this particular case, the court left out a major element of the crime from the jury instructions.

Whether there are technicalities or not in criminal law is really semantics more than anything else. But, leaving out a major element of the crime from the jury instruction just isn't a technicality.

How'd you like to be on trial for receiving stolen property you bought at a flea market and have them leave out the "knew or should have known the property was stolen" part or be on trial for moving your car around in your driveway after a few beers and have them leave out "on a public roadway"?

“The bombing of Pearl Harbor took place during the Roosevelt Administration. Heck—I wasn’t even Vice President then. So I see no need to continue this war with Japan. Blame that Roosevelt guy.”

— Harry S Truman

Maybenaut

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Well, that's kind of my point. Things that are truly minor (i.e., "harmless beyond a reasonable doubt" under California v. Chapman) don't result in convictions being avoided or overturned. It's got to be big. And big things aren't technicalities; they're due process violations.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 pm

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Inside Warren Jeffs' Polygamous Sect:

The community of Short Creek, on the border of Utah and Arizona, has been the stronghold of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

They’re known for practicing polygamy and following the prophet Warren Jeffs, who is serving a life sentence for pedophilia.

Now, many FLDS homes are facing eviction. NBC Left Field takes a look.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm

I've watched the movie about Warren Jeffs and this town and the one in Texas several times, so this was interesting. I guess it's a solution, but it's obviously very difficult for the people in the town.

I'm not sure, but I think this is also the town where a woman was just elected as mayor who is not FLDS. All of the men on the governing board of the town resigned as she was a woman and an apostate.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”