Neo-Nazi / White Supremacist News

Chilidog

Re: Neo-Nazi / White Supremacist News

Post by Chilidog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 am
I don't know how I managed it but I ended up on a certain site where they were giving out advice about a certain event. It was gag city, including this:

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Can you put milk in Jewish coffee, or is that not kosher?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm with Dan.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:05 pm
Security ramped up for white nationalist Richard Spencer's Florida event today

http://abcnews.go.com/US/security-rampe ... d=50585570
Security costs for the University of Florida Police Department, Gainesville Police Department, Alachua County Sheriff's Office, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Florida Highway Patrol and other agencies total more than $500,000, according to the school website.

School President W. Kent Fuchs has since said the spending is closer to $600,000, The Associated Press reported.
Seems to me that Richard Spenser should be responsible for those extra costs.
Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by the actions of these public universities, wringing their hands and acting like they have no other option but to take a big financial hit when a group holds a major and costly event on their campuses. Permits, insurance, and bonds are the time-honored methods to protect the public and facilities from potential losses from an entity's use of the facility. Both the local university and a nearby small town have on occasion turned down permit requests from groups planning events, on the (to me, reasonable) basis that the events would draw much larger crowds than the facility could accommodate and control. I recall a planned PETA rally that was stymied by the group's lack of permit and insurance.

Yes, a public facility should have an open-door policy in the interest of free speech and exchange of views. But there's no law against charging the event organizers for associated costs, nor for demanding payment or a surety bond up front.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by the actions of these public universities, wringing their hands and acting like they have no other option but to take a big financial hit when a group holds a major and costly event on their campuses. Permits, insurance, and bonds are the time-honored methods to protect the public and facilities from potential losses from an entity's use of the facility. Both the local university and a nearby small town have on occasion turned down permit requests from groups planning events, on the (to me, reasonable) basis that the events would draw much larger crowds than the facility could accommodate and control. I recall a planned PETA rally that was stymied by the group's lack of permit and insurance.

Yes, a public facility should have an open-door policy in the interest of free speech and exchange of views. But there's no law against charging the event organizers for associated costs, nor for demanding payment or a surety bond up front.
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm
There are politics involved. The right has made a big deal out of universities squashing their free speech, and even the move of making them pay associated costs gets re-framed as liberal universities being unfair to conservatives.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Most of the articles I've read explain why they can't charge the additional costs to Spencer. It's a First Amendment issue and has been settled in court already. They can only be charged for rental of the facility and security at the facility, not on the rest of the campus or in town or anywhere else.

Gov Scott's declaration of emergency allows the college to coordinate with State and local law enforcement agencies so everybody from the FL State police to campus security will be there.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 am
I don't know how I managed it but I ended up on a certain site where they were giving out advice about a certain event. It was gag city, including this:

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
It depends. Was the cow circumcised?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Found out a friend went (NOT as a Spencer supporter). Posted photos showing a 3/4 empty auditorium. Lots of protestors.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 pm

maydijo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm
maydijo, that's not a very smart comment. Everybody knows that cows aren't Jewish.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 pm
maydijo wrote:
maydijo, that's not a very smart comment. Everybody knows that cows aren't Jewish.
Would that make it a brisskit of beef?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm

:mrgreen: :rotflmao:

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
maydijo wrote:

Would that make it a brisskit of beef?
:rimshot:

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
maydijo wrote:
Well that's rather speciest. I used to have a Mormon dog (the other was dognostic, he was open to the idea of a Supreme Dog but he didn't know which breed was true), and we currently have a Catholic ewe, she's always telling us off for doing the wrong thing. Why can't cows be Jewish?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Udderly impossible. Because the cow would need a Jewish mother.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 pm
Udderly impossible. Because the cow would need a Jewish mother.
Couldn't she have a mookveh?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 pm

Theological argument in favour of cows being Jewish: God created them and there is no evidence any cow was ever converted. Therefore if the first cow was Jewish, all subsequent cows are too.

Ha! I didn't even have to go to yeshiva to come up with that one! The rabbi from my old Hillel days (I was a chronic shabbat crasher back in uni) would be proud. Or embarrassed.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 am

I thought cows were Hindu ;)

(And I'm expecting a Greenie to step in any minute now :) )

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 am

Somerset wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 am
I thought cows were Hindu ;)

(And I'm expecting a Greenie to step in any minute now :) )
Oh no! That's evidence they're Bundys - they think they should be worshipped!!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:02 am

I'm just in this thread for the food.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:05 pm
Security ramped up for white nationalist Richard Spencer's Florida event today

http://abcnews.go.com/US/security-rampe ... d=50585570
Security costs for the University of Florida Police Department, Gainesville Police Department, Alachua County Sheriff's Office, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Florida Highway Patrol and other agencies total more than $500,000, according to the school website.

School President W. Kent Fuchs has since said the spending is closer to $600,000, The Associated Press reported.
Seems to me that Richard Spenser should be responsible for those extra costs.

I don't know the exact legal reasons, but the university has said that they cannot legally ban him and some other law prevents them from making him pay any increased security costs.
His next speech is in my neck of the woods at the University of Cincinnati which caved when he threatened to sue if they tried to prevent him from speaking. It is important to note here that nobody invited him to come (unlike the fizzle in Berkely where some student group did). A friend of mine with some connections at UC is trying to get them to adopt a policy of denying use of University facilities to anyone not invited by some student or college affiliated organization to come. Won't help them now but maybe in the future and even more, maybe a model for other public colleges to use to prevent the abuse of their campuses.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 am

Gregg wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am
A friend of mine with some connections at UC is trying to get them to adopt a policy of denying use of University facilities to anyone not invited by some student or college affiliated organization to come. Won't help them now but maybe in the future and even more, maybe a model for other public colleges to use to prevent the abuse of their campuses.
They can't refuse to rent the space to them since it's a publicly funded space. Auburn (and Berkley?) has already been through court so it's settled that they can't refuse them, regardless of whether they're invited or not. That's why the colleges keep backing down when Spencer threatens to sue. They know they'll lose.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am

Yes, you can put milk in "Jewish" coffee, but then you cannot drink it with a meat meal.

Maxwell House coffee is (insufferably) proud of the fact that it was the very first coffee to be authoritatively declared to be kosher for Passover, going back to about 1930. Prior to that, the common notion that coffee was made from "coffee beans" made coffee unfit for Passover because Ashkenaz Jews do not eat beans during Passover. But Maxwell House went to the very considerable trouble of sending experts to rabbininal councils to explain that what were called "coffee beans" were unrelated to legumes and were actually fruit, more closely related to cherries, and so coffee was declared kosher for Passover.

This applies to regular coffee. Certain processed or flavored coffees are still not kosher or not kosher-for-Passover, because of the added ingredients. For example there is a very expensive foreign coffee that involves a civet cat, and there's no way that will ever be kosher.

Starbucks is Jewish-owned. Caribou Coffee is Arab-owned. I have no idea about Foster Brothers or Seattle's Best or Maxwell House.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
maydijo wrote:
:rotflmao:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

arayder

Post by arayder » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:47 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 am
Gregg wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am
A friend of mine with some connections at UC is trying to get them to adopt a policy of denying use of University facilities to anyone not invited by some student or college affiliated organization to come. Won't help them now but maybe in the future and even more, maybe a model for other public colleges to use to prevent the abuse of their campuses.
They can't refuse to rent the space to them since it's a publicly funded space. Auburn (and Berkley?) has already been through court so it's settled that they can't refuse them, regardless of whether they're invited or not. That's why the colleges keep backing down when Spencer threatens to sue. They know they'll lose.
I am not up on the legalities of all this so I ask why the cities or states involved couldn't charge Spenser with inciting a riot (provided of course his language really would incite other to riot). One might argue that we don't need to split hairs about his language if the white supremacists go out after his speech and start beating up folks and waving guns around.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”