Round-Earth Deniers: The Great Balloon Project

gatsby

Re: The Great Balloon Project

Post by gatsby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:47 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
gatsby wrote:I still want to know what's on the other side of our flat Earth. Shirley, Crexlan wouldn't want it to go to waste?
I believe that's already been answered upthread: after the elephants it's turtles all the way down.

By the way, the picture above is incorrect---the elephants don't face outward, the walk in a circle to rotate the Earth.
I took another look at the flat-Earth image. Where is the South Pole?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:16 am

Da Funky Maoist wrote:Somewhat serious question here, what do flat earthers say about how gravity works?
[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

Actually they say-

"Gravity is a Hoax"

http://beforeitsnews.com/strange/2015/0 ... 61410.html

Because of the nature of the thing it is all but impossible to know if that article is a Poe.

For all other flat earth questions there is The Flat Earth Wiki.

http://wiki.tfes.org/The_Flat_Earth_Wiki

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:41 pm

gatsby wrote:The flat earthers launched their balloon! A second launch is planned for late November.

What has me ROFLMAO is tthe fact that the guy is using GPS to record the whereabouts of his baloon. The very technology that relies on multiple stationary satellites positioned strategically around a round earth :doh:

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:49 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
gatsby wrote:The flat earthers launched their balloon! A second launch is planned for late November.

What has me ROFLMAO is tthe fact that the guy is using GPS to record the whereabouts of his baloon. The very technology that relies on multiple stationary satellites positioned strategically around a round earth :doh:
:yeah:
The logical disconnect is mind boggling.

vic

Re: Round-Earth Deniers: The Great Balloon Project

Post by vic » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:00 pm

I learned of a variant of the cray-cray when my brother had a small geology consulting business and one of the partners was some sort of creationist geologist. The guy was able to deal with things like analyzing sedimentary layers via fossil foraminifera examination by explaining that the creator had placed all those "so called" fossils there to fool geologists into thinking the earth was older than what the bible said. As a true believer he knew the sediments weren't as old as geologists claimed, but by understanding god's intent, he could work out the geology anyway.

So perhaps by a similar delusion, the flat-earthers, at least the "word of god" ones, believe that GPS works because their god allows it to work in order to test scientists' beliefs. :dazed:

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:33 pm

The balloon guy says GPS is a ground-based technology.

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm 90% sure the science deniers in this Facebook group are non-Poe fundies. Just a gut feeling. Lots of reality-based folks pop in and question them. It's interesting to see the deniers weave and wind to explain away scientific facts. They're similar to creationists, and probably are one and the same.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1661866320707757/

L00Kit

Post by L00Kit » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:01 pm

gatsby wrote:I'm 90% sure the science deniers in this Facebook group are non-Poe fundies. Just a gut feeling. Lots of reality-based folks pop in and question them. It's interesting to see the deniers weave and wind to explain away scientific facts. They're similar to creationists, and probably are one and the same.

I just learneded a new word at that link:

Flat-earthers = Globetards

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:02 pm

gatsby wrote:I'm 90% sure the science deniers in this Facebook group are non-Poe fundies. Just a gut feeling. Lots of reality-based folks pop in and question them. It's interesting to see the deniers weave and wind to explain away scientific facts. They're similar to creationists, and probably are one and the same.

They sound a lot like sovcits too. :( :( :roll:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:30 pm

A sample:
Luke Munson
Why can I travel consistently due east and eventually end up where I started if the earth is flat?

-------------

Thomas Jason Hannsz You are going around in a circle.. Due East is always relative to Magnetic North.

-------------

Luke Munson Hmm....still doesn't make sense to me.

-------------

Quincey Carr If you go south you.will always hit
.Antarctica..

-------------

Luke Munson Pretty Sure I can go west from Los Angeles to DC and never see a single glacier.

-------------

Jimi Pantera West is relative to magnetic north. If you do not use a compass and fly perpendicular to the west coast you will eventually hit the wall.

-------------

Adrienne Morrison There is no East or West on a globe, only one polar opposite can occur. Compass directions have destinations so the Earth must be flat with sides or edges/ends like a square. So let's say you decide to travel East so you begin to walk, then suddenly, because you are walking on a globe your direction will keep changing the further you walk so you could never ever keep going East and even if you did you would be walking directly into space on that straight line and well we all know that can't be true. So you see the dilemma with ball theory always stopping you in your tracks and seemingly somebody explains it away. My take is that the plane of existence we know is infinite, it just keeps going where the sun don't shine until the ends wherever how however far that may be, no-one knows. Antarctic Continent on globe has only 12,000 k's of coastline and yet the explorers ducumented 78,000 ??? begs a question don't you think? The Antarctic Circle is NOT the South pole and the Arctic Circle is neither the North, in fact the Ends are the Points of destination, 4 sides and 4 corners like scriptural accounts describe in detail from all cultures, well most that had any freedom of thought.

-------------

Adrienne Morrison If you doubt this, get a compass and a soccer ball, balance the compass on top of the ball and have a look at where the hands of the compass are pointing ---- yes, into space, to nowhere! Wake up people and smell the rat poison!

-------------

Adrienne Morrison Now take that compass and place it on a sqaure piece of paper, with North pointing to one side, vwalla, there is your flat earth and true directions on a level plane. Look at this model here and feel the confusion just looking at it, makes no sense at all.

-------------

Adrienne Morrison Global compass my arse, the 2 cannot exist together, can Christ and Satan work as one? No!
N.B.: "The wall"1 mentioned above is a two-mile-tall wall that surrounds the flat Earth.
Sekrit Stuffs!
1 Capitalized, it's one of my favorite albums and films! :lovestruck:
► Show Spoiler

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Sigh. I regularly use GPS equipment in my land surveying business. If I'm careful with my field procedures, occupy the control point for several hours and use precise ephemerides for the GPS satellite constellation, I can attain accuracies of 2 to 3 mm. All because of satellites orbiting an oblate spheroid and atomic clocks!

This utter stupidity makes my brainbone ache. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:Sigh. I regularly use GPS equipment in my land surveying business. If I'm careful with my field procedures, occupy the control point for several hours and use precise ephemerides for the GPS satellite constellation, I can attain accuracies of 2 to 3 mm. All because of satellites orbiting an oblate spheroid and atomic clocks!

This utter stupidity makes my brainbone ache. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
You believe GPS uses satellites orbiting an oblate spheroid. Because that's how sheeple like you have been brainwashed by the elite "scientists." If God wanted us to use GPS, He would have installed GPS receivers in our hands so they didn't need batteries.

You Globebots are funny!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:39 pm

An interesting point for the flat-earth believers: the Quran speaks of the Earth as egg-shaped, not flat. Answering Christianity: The Bible Says: the Earth Is Flat

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:49 pm

gatsby wrote: You believe GPS uses satellites orbiting an oblate spheroid. Because that's how sheeple like you have been brainwashed by the elite "scientists." If God wanted us to use GPS, He would have installed GPS receivers in our hands so they didn't need batteries.

You Globebots are funny!
:yeah:
Like he did for Canada geese and other migratory birds.

gatsby

Round-Earth Deniers: The Great Balloon Project

Post by gatsby » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:30 pm

gatsby wrote:Fundraising has re-started from scratch, assuming these are the same folks. Of the $1,000 goal, $530 has been raised in four days.
They raised the goal to $1,500 -- and yesterday they reached it!

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Looks like Raytheon decided this afternoon to collaborate with the flat earthers. :-D

Loose military blimp dragging cable, causing power outages

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:Looks like Raytheon decided this afternoon to collaborate with the flat earthers. :-D

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:Looks like Raytheon decided this afternoon to collaborate with the flat earthers. :-D

Yep, it's heading up through Pennsylvania and has knocked out electricity to 35,000 homes in my old home county which is lots considering there are only around 60,000 people in the county. Fortunately after it gets beyond that it gets into a really sparsely populated part of PA.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:48 am

TollandRCR wrote:An interesting point for the flat-earth believers: the Quran speaks of the Earth as egg-shaped, not flat. Answering Christianity: The Bible Says: the Earth Is Flat
And St Augustine wrote about the spherical Earth 200 odd years before the Quran was written ;) .

Bieng written 900 years after the greek experiments that established the earth was a sphere does not give the Quran any brownie points... apart from maybe minus points due to being wrong about the shape of the earth after it had long been established.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:41 pm

just cause I stumbled over this one:

L00Kit

Post by L00Kit » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:12 pm

RTH10260 wrote:just cause I stumbled over this one:
This video is a gem for those who find flat-earthers inexplicably yet intentionally, willfully and purposefully obtuse.

The star is one Eric Dubay, a young, literate, decently-educated white American guy with no discernible work skills who lives in Thailand, teaches yoga to people who've already been doing yoga a bazillion years and who's given free reign on this call to let loose all his profound genius brain-squeezings without challenge.

This video is far more interesting, and by interesting I mean completely insulting, than his "200 Proofs of Flat Earth!" video of droning 18th-century poppycock.

I shan't reveal the entire foundation upon which he derives all his flat-earthing wisdoms, but will leave you with one tiny clue:
► Show Spoiler

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Jeebus Chris I listened to the whole thing. How totally and completely disgusting. :shock:

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:51 pm

I've gotten through 135 of this asshole's 200 "proofs" of a flat Earth. Stunning misunderstandings of physics, math and spherical trigonometry. Probably more like a couple dozen classes of "proofs" with multiple examples from each class.

A couple head pounders:
'proof' 134 wrote:Furthermore the Moon itself cannot physically be both a spherical body and a reflector of the Sun’s light. Reflectors must be flat or concave for light rays to have any angle of incidence; If a reflector’s surface is convex then every ray of light points in a direct line with the radius perpendicular to the surface resulting in no reflection.
'proof' 136 wrote:Many people think that modern astronomy’s ability to accurately predict lunar and solar eclipses is a result and proof positive of the heliocentric theory of the universe. The fact of the matter however is that eclipses have been accurately predicted by cultures worldwide for thousands of years before the “heliocentric ball-Earth” was even a glimmer in Copernicus’ imagination. Ptolemy in the 1st century A.D. accurately predicted eclipses for six hundred years on the basis of a flat, stationary Earth with equal precision as anyone living today. All the way back in 600 B.C. Thales accurately predicted an eclipse which ended the war between the Medes and Lydians. Eclipses happen regularly with precision in 18 year cycles, so regardless of geocentric or heliocentric, flat or globe Earth cosmologies, eclipses can be accurately calculated independent of such factors.
'proof' 117 wrote:Newton also theorized and it is now commonly taught that the Earth’s ocean tides are caused by gravitational lunar attraction. If the Moon is only 2,160 miles in diameter and

the Earth 8,000 miles, however, using their own math and “law,” it follows that the Earth is 87 times more massive and therefore the larger object should attract the smaller to it, and not the other way around. If the Earth’s greater gravity is what keeps the Moon in orbit, it is impossible for the Moon’s lesser gravity to supersede the Earth’s gravity, especially at Earth’s sea-level, where its gravitational attraction would even further out-trump the Moon’s. And if the Moon’s gravity truly did supersede the Earth’s causing the tides to be drawn towards it, there should be nothing to stop them from continuing onwards and upwards towards their great attractor.
'proof' 132 wrote:The Sun’s light is golden, warm, drying, preservative and antiseptic, while the Moon’s light is silver, cool, damp, putrefying and septic. The Sun’s rays decrease the combustion of a bonfire, while the Moon’s rays increase combustion. Plant and animal substances exposed to sunlight quickly dry, shrink, coagulate, and lose the tendency to decompose and putrify; grapes and other fruits become solid, partially candied and preserved like raisins, dates, and prunes; animal flesh coagulates, loses its volatile gaseous constituents, becomes firm, dry, and slow to decay. When exposed to moonlight, however, plant and animal substances tend to show symptoms of putrefaction and decay. This proves that Sun and Moon light are different, unique, and opposites as they are in the geocentric flat model.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 am

Had to add this one (these are all from a free e-book, so I don't think the 4 paragraph rule applies):

# 138
Another favorite “proof” of ball-Earthers is the appearance from an observer on shore of ships’ hulls being obfuscated by the water and disappearing from view when sailing away towards the horizon. Their claim is that ships’ hulls disappear before their mast-heads because the ship is beginning its declination around the convex curvature of the ball-Earth. Once again, however, their hasty conclusion is drawn from a faulty premise, namely that only on a ball- Earth could this phenomenon occur. The fact of the matter is that the Law of Perspective on plane surfaces dictates and necessitates the exact same occurrence. For example a girl wearing a dress walking away towards the horizon will appear to sink into the Earth the farther away she walks. Her feet will disappear from view first and the distance between the ground and the bottom of her dress will gradually diminish until after about half a mile it seems like her dress is touching the ground as she walks on invisible legs. Such is the case on plane surfaces, the lowest parts of objects receding from a given point of observation necessarily disappear before the highest.
I'm having trouble even figuring out what he thinks is going on here. My best guess is that he's talking about the girl's legs being covered by her dress. In which case, a ship would be completely opposite and the explanation would fail if, say, a yardstick were moving away from the observer.

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

L00Kit

Post by L00Kit » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:37 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Jeebus Chris I listened to the whole thing. How totally and completely disgusting. :shock:
It's been a few days since I watched it, but a few things remain burned in mah brain:

• Gravity? Puhleeze. Total scam because birds can fly but oceans don't float.
• Moon landing? Don't even. Total scam because green-screened photos...during the 1960s!
• Neil deGrasse Tyson? He bears a jealousy-fueled hate for Tyson more intense than the white-hot heat of a thousand burning suns.

As he was yammering on and on, I couldn't help but wonder why a young, healthy, literate, good-looking American guy is so dark, so empty, so angry and so consumed by endless bile; why he can't find a job or a life in the States or anywhere in the West and why, of all places, he's supposedly "teaching yoga" in Thailand which happens to be most-frequented sex-tourism spot on the planet by Western men. He's not a Christian missionary and he doesn't teach English, both of which are the usual covers for such activity.

There's something very disturbing about this guy. His denial of all reality to include the round Earth, all modern space achievement, all modern astronomy knowledge, NASA itself and blaming the entirety of humanity's woes on the Jews...seem but a symptom of those profound disturbances.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”