Kent Hovind

Mikedunford

Kent Hovind

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 pm

It appears that the incarcerated creationist/tax protester/sovcit might not be getting out of the pen quite as soon as he expected. It also appears that incarceration was not enough to stop his paper terrorism. He's now facing criminal contempt charges for filing liens on properties that were forfeited as a result of the tax proceedings. [/break1]forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2014/07/28/time-to-let-kent-hovind-go-home/]http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreill ... d-go-home/

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Piffle

Kent Hovind

Post by Piffle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:36 pm

It appears that the incarcerated creationist/tax protester/sovcit might not be getting out of the pen quite as soon as he expected. It also appears that incarceration was not enough to stop his paper terrorism. He's now facing criminal contempt charges for filing liens on properties that were forfeited as a result of the tax proceedings. [/break1]forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2014/07/28/time-to-let-kent-hovind-go-home/]http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreill ... d-go-home/Yeah, and the sympathetic author of that Forbes blog piece ("Contributor Peter J. Reilly") either doesn't get it or is a libertarian wingnut in his own right. (I suspect a blend here.)I mean, why get bent out of shape because Hovind filed another harmless piece of paper, right? :lol: Oh wait! Could it be that the Court had specifically enjoined Hovind from repeating shit like this? Nah, must just be because he believes in Creationism. Yeah, that's it!I only hope that Reilly is a better accountant than he is a legal analyst.

BillTheCat

Kent Hovind

Post by BillTheCat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Yeh it's nice to know Forbes magazine is in bed with Creation Scientist folks. That's a new one.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

gupwalla

Kent Hovind

Post by gupwalla » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Kent Hovind is a SovCit tax protester. He is in prison for tax evasion and structuring cash payments in order to hide his tax evasion. His religious beliefs are not relevant to his present incarceration except to the extent that he has used his religion as a pretext for avoiding payment of taxes.It now appears that he has - allegedly - flung bits of paper into the works to gum up any attempts by the IRS to sell his forfeited properties to pay his bill for back taxes and the cost of prosecuting him. He will have his day in court, but if he has done what he is alleged to have done this will not end well for him. But at least he'll get to continue playing the martyr for his faithful.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

mimi

Kent Hovind

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:53 pm

It appears that the incarcerated creationist/tax protester/sovcit might not be getting out of the pen quite as soon as he expected. It also appears that incarceration was not enough to stop his paper terrorism. He's now facing criminal contempt charges for filing liens on properties that were forfeited as a result of the tax proceedings. [/break1]forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2014/07/28/time-to-let-kent-hovind-go-home/]http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreill ... d-go-home/idunno this guy. When I googled, the rational wiki link came up. This video was linked to that.Listen from 3:00 to 4:00. Idunno what's past that cuz I quit listening then.Here's the link to the rational wiki entry:[/break1]org/wiki/Kent_Hovind]http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kent_Hovindedit. fixed youtube link.

Piffle

Kent Hovind

Post by Piffle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Filing a bogus lis pendens is every bit as nasty as filing a bogus lien in that it has the same effect: it temporarily renders a property very difficult to sell for what it's worth.Interesting, isn't it, that Hovind sympathizer Reilly (purportedly a CPA) admits to having had to look the term up before assessing the merits of Hovind's pro-se-SovCit-quality "motion"? It's a term that I imagine most experienced accountants and real estate agents have run into before.

mimi

Kent Hovind

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Filing a bogus lis pendens is every bit as nasty as filing a bogus lien in that it has the same effect: it temporarily renders a property very difficult to sell for what it's worth.Interesting, isn't it, that Hovind sympathizer Reilly (purportedly a CPA) admits to having had to look the term up before assessing the merits of Hovind's pro-se-SovCit-quality "motion"? It's a term that I imagine most experienced accountants and real estate agents have run into before.he's written more than one post about Hovind.[/break1]forbes.com/search/?q=hovind]http://www.forbes.com/search/?q=hovindHe's been following this for a long time.

Mikedunford

Kent Hovind

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Filing a bogus lis pendens is every bit as nasty as filing a bogus lien in that it has the same effect: it temporarily renders a property very difficult to sell for what it's worth.Interesting, isn't it, that Hovind sympathizer Reilly (purportedly a CPA) admits to having had to look the term up before assessing the merits of Hovind's pro-se-SovCit-quality "motion"? It's a term that I imagine most experienced accountants and real estate agents have run into before.he's written more than one post about Hovind.[/break1]forbes.com/search/?q=hovind]http://www.forbes.com/search/?q=hovindHe's been following this for a long time.As have I, actually - my early online community of choice was talk.origins (back in usenet days), and I cut my teeth blogging about evolution and creationism at Panda's Thumb and Scienceblogs. Hovind's a piece of work and has been for quite some time. He's a tax protestor who was making a lot of money doing Creationism talks at megachurches, and through his Dinosaur Adventure Land creationism pseudo-themepark.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Reality Check

Kent Hovind

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 pm

This is an article about Hovind and his Dinosaur Adventure Land from about 10 years back that appeared in the Skeptical Inquirer Magazine. I remembered reading this article about Hovind. I used to subscribe to SI back then. He has been at it a long time. ]Stupid Dino Tricks: A Visit to Kent Hovind’s Dinosaur Adventure Land.

Young-earth creationist Kent Hovind has built a dinosaur-filled theme park in the Florida panhandle and claims to prove that evolution is bunk. A visit there shows that it is definitely a fantasy land....The building of this rather small park has created a “tempest in a teapot” kind of controversy with local government. Essentially, Hovind converted the backyard of his home at 29 Cummings Road into a theme park, improvising an entrance off Palafox and refusing to file the proper zoning-permit requests with Escambia County. Hovind was charged on September 13, 2002, for failure to observe county zoning regulations, but through many legal maneuvers (multiple requests to have judges recuse themselves, switching lawyers and eventually requesting a public defender, and various stays requested, once for failing to appear), the case is approaching its two-year anniversary in the court system with no conclusion imminent. The charge is a second-degree misdemeanor resulting from refusing to pay a $50 permitting fee.This is not Hovind’s only scrape with the law (a visit to the Escambia County Clerk of the Courts Web site shows over a dozen court cases involving Hovind and his family). A month before the misdemeanor charge, Hovind was charged with felony assault, battery, and burglary with assault or battery. Charges were dropped in December 2002 when the victim, a member of Hovind’s congregation, withdrew the complaint. (A lengthy description of the incident and an e-mail tit-for-tat between Hovind and his accuser can be found at geocities.com/kenthovind]http://www.geocities.com/kenthovind. More significantly, the Internal Revenue Service raided Hovind’s home and office in April 2004, confiscating financial documents related to the ministry and the park since January 1997. The IRS is charging that Hovind is evading taxes on more than $1 million in annual income and does not have a business license nor tax-exempt status for his ministry and the park (Norman 2004).

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Notorial Dissent

Kent Hovind

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 pm

Just real obviously not paying a whole lot of attention the whole time.I see no reason to feel even the slightest bit of sympathy for Hovind, he set out to cheat the tax man and did everything he could, including getting his wife involved in it, and since then he has done every little obstructionist thing he could manage along the way. He is neither repentant or being honest about what happened, "he is being picked on and singled out", and he has continued that meme throughout the entire process. He has violated every court order issued, and has not changed one bit from the day he was convicted.He deserves neither sympathy or consideration, and it is a pretty good bet that rather than getting out early he is going to extend his stay a good deal by his contempt conviction. The man is a four star fool.Reilly is either incredibly gullible, or else blind to what has been going on as his writings indicate.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Piffle

Kent Hovind

Post by Piffle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Our incomparable Information Goddess still reigns supreme... he's written more than one post about Hovind.[/break1]forbes.com/search/?q=hovind]http://www.forbes.com/search/?q=hovindHe's been following this for a long time. :wenotworthy:

Dr. Caligari

Kent Hovind

Post by Dr. Caligari » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Filing a bogus lis pendens is every bit as nasty as filing a bogus lien in that it has the same effect: it temporarily renders a property very difficult to sell for what it's worth.Interesting, isn't it, that Hovind sympathizer Reilly (purportedly a CPA) admits to having had to look the term up before assessing the merits of Hovind's pro-se-SovCit-quality "motion"? It's a term that I imagine most experienced accountants and real estate agents have run into before.Reilly has written some very good things for Forbes in the past, debunking the theories of tax protestors, including Hovind. I disagree with Reilly that this latest prosecution is piling on, but it's not fair to call him a Hovind sympathizer.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

rpenner

Kent Hovind

Post by rpenner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Yesterday, in Docket 23, the Government files an unopposed motion to move Hovind's trial from December 1 to January 5 so that he may be tried along with Paul John Hansen.http://archive.org/details/gov.uscourts.flnd.78373/

Notorial Dissent

Kent Hovind

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:53 am

Two nutter sovcit frauds for the price of one. :cheer:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RLBaty

Kent Hovind

Post by RLBaty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Forbes' Peter J Reilly has responded to his critics with a new article posted this morning, with readers' comments section following:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreill ... -ministry/

Meanwhile, the supporters of Kent Hovind continue to gather around and prosecute their call to "Free Kent Hovind".

gupwalla

Kent Hovind

Post by gupwalla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Absent any new penalties associated with the current charges, I believe Hovind is set for release around August 2015.

The apostle Paul was able to get a divine earthquake to let him out of prison.* Hovind can only get a few dozen people who whine until his sentence runs its full course. I do not know whether that is a sad commentary on today's faith leaders or a sad commentary on the credulousness of first century Christian writers.

*The first time, anyway. He re-offended and ended up getting executed. For the record, I do not think Hovind's new charges warrant the death penalty.

Edit: Phone wants to replace Hovind with Hominid. Snicker.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Notorial Dissent

Kent Hovind

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Stupidity abhors a vacuum and immediately rushes to fill it. Hovind would/could have been out and done in 2015 if he'd just played nice and been a decent human being, and possible even earlier. I'm not sure exactly what the order was, but Hovid has had his shorts in a twist almost since he was sentenced to get out and in to a community half way house that the claimed he was eligible for. The BOP disagreed and I think that is when he started his latest round of half assed litigation. Somewhere in there after he lost the last round in the forfeiture hearings he was ordered to stop interfering with the gov't sell off of Dinoland, and he didn't, he fired one last round, a lis pendens against the properties to interfere with the gov't sale. Now for some strange and unfathomable reason, :sarcasm: the judge chose to take offense at his little jest and hauled him up on contempt charges. This would have put paid to his early release as there is a fairly stiff sentence that can be applied, but somewhere in there the US attorney's office got interested and have now filed indictments against him and another party, who apparently did the lien filing, and now they are both up on felony charges for that. Hovind's not so clever stunt may well have pushed his exit date clear out to 2020 at this point if they prove their case, and don't up the ante any further.

This is the kind of person Hovind is, which is one of the reasons I don't waste any pity on him, or his family, when it comes right down to it as they have been enabling him the entire time.

rpenner

Kent Hovind

Post by rpenner » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Co-defendant Paul John Hansen filed the following handwritten papers construed as habeus corpus motions:November 4, Transmitted to Florida (Northern District) Nov 6, appearing as Docket 24 on November 12: Writ Habeus CorpusI, a man of birth right, on America land, require that a man claim, in open court, all facts, and law, relied upon to arrest, hold, and adminitrate me, and my property, to prosecut under the styled name of ‘United States of America’, and verify that verified sworn evidece, is in the record, upon which, a man of right, can be arrested, prosecuted, but the United States Court.That the man be presented in this court to verify, to complete, the ‘subject matter’ of this courts jurisdiction - or dismiss for lack of evidence of subject matter jurisdiction.ChallengeI, a man, of birth right, on America land, now challenge, the prosecutor, to prove personal jurisdiction of this court over me. What does the prosecutor rely upon to prosecute me in this court?If prosecutor fails, I require, wish, for this action be dismiss and I with be release forth with.I require the proof to be verified.Challenge with Judicial NoticeI, a man, of birth right, on America land, now challenge, the prosecutor, to prove that the land where I was arrested is land of ‘The United States of America’ as the styled name is found in the ‘Articles of Confederacy’ 1777. This being a territorial jurisdiction challenge.If prosecutor fails, I require, wish, for this action be dismissed for lack of territorial jursidiction pursuant to Art 1, Sec 8 United States Constitution, or Constitution of the United States.I required the proof to be verified.November 12, Transmitted to Florida (Northern District) Nov 13, appearing as Docket 27 on November 17: Habeus Corpus with Judicial NoticeI require, as a man, with birth right on America land, state proves the following:A. I was arrested on land that is a possession or territory of the United States.B. Verified evidence is in the record to support the warrant pursuant to the 4th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.C. That verified evidence is in the record to support the indictment case no. 3:14 CR 91-002 MCR, US District Court Northwest District of Florida, Pensacola Division.D. I require the name of the man exercising authority to hold me in jail.Judicial notice - 4th Amendment and Article 1, Sec 8, of the Constitution of the United States.I wish, I require, that the court in lacking subject matter jurisdiction, or personal jurisdiction, release me now, upon the state failure to prov the above.Notice - This is the fourth mailing on 11-9-14 with no response from the court mailed to: US Dist. Court, NE - 111 South 18 Plaza, 68102, Omaha, NE - Witnessed the mailing were → SL [Illegible], Steven [Illegible], and → Michael Michael Cooley(Capitalization normalized to the extent that the only place lower case letters are used in the original is in the quoted phrase ‘The United States of America’ and the signatures which appear as in the originals. Apologies if my computer normalized the spelling or grammar while transcribing these; that was not my intent.)

Whatever4

Kent Hovind

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:14 am

You'd think magic words would need to be spelled correctly.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

mimi

Kent Hovind

Post by mimi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:21 am

Forbes' Peter J Reilly has responded to his critics with a new article posted this morning, with readers' comments section following:

Meanwhile, the supporters of Kent Hovind continue to gather around and prosecute their call to "Free Kent Hovind".

Heyyyyyyyyyyy, I'm just catching up on this thread and clicked on that link.

FOGBOW is cited.

Specifically, this post by Notorial Dissent:

topic/7160-kent-hovind/#entry560962

To which Mr. Reilly replies:

I have to admit that there is quite a strong argument there, because my fluctuating sympathy for Kent Hovind always hits a new low whenever I listen to one particular person. That would be Kent Hovind. He has been giving interviews from jail. Here is a sample (Start at 13:00).

It does not go very far before he says “I have not broken any laws”. When he talks about what he has been convicted of, he always tends to focus on the structuring charges, since it can strike many of us that taking cash out of the bank in amounts less than ten thousand dollars does not seem like something that should get you in trouble. Of course that leaves out the fact that Kent was not filing individual returns, which is evidenced by the Tax Court decisions he and his wife lost. The latter was what got me following this story just over two years ago. The technique that he used has had a place on the IRS Dirty Dozen from time to time.

In the end, he still thinks prosecuting Hovind is a bad idea:

The point is to encourage compliance, not get retribution of every offense. I don’t see the prosecution of Kent Hovind encouraging compliance. Either he will be convicted and viewed as a martyr or he will be acquitted and the acquittal will energize tax protesters.

There's more. At de link:

Can't say that I agree with Reilly.

Sterngard Friegen

Kent Hovind

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:36 pm

RLBaty is probably Reilly, too.

Foggy

Kent Hovind

Post by Foggy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:57 pm

RLBaty is probably Reilly, too.

No, he's not.

Definitely not.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Notorial Dissent

Kent Hovind

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 pm

I find Reilly perplexing for a number of reasons. He has written a great deal about Hovind for Forbes, most of it, IMNSHO, poorly written. I think he does know his topic, and he is entitled to his opinion(s), most of which with I disagree, but my feeling since the first article of his I read was that the really really wanted to be an apologist for Hovind but couldn't quite find either the balls, or a justification he could make others swallow. He still hasn't. He writes about Hovind and his many travails, perhaps unconsciously, trying to put him in as good of a light as he can, but he studiously, one might almost say religiously, avoids the real reason for those travails and comes off trying to soft peddle what really got Hovind in trouble, the lying and the tax evasion. His personal blog of Hovind, is in my opinion again, better written, better balanced towards the reality of the situation, but no less trying very hard to be apologistic. to put it all in a nutshell, he would very much like to come right out and say that Hovind was being picked on for his religious beliefs, and that Hovind didn't really do anything wrong. His problem is that he has just enough integrity that he can't quite cross that line, even though at times it seems like he really really wants to. His writings are far more erudite and considerably better written than the slobbering maunderings from Hovind's other cheer squad, God's Property Radio, that is however, where the difference ends.

mmmirele

Kent Hovind

Post by mmmirele » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Hovind's followers claim that Hovind is going to file this 26-page document cobbled together from at least six Sovereign Citizen sources (that I can tell) with the court. So far it's not ended up on the docket. It was posted by one of his followers at the clubcreation.org website on New Year's Day and I've taken the liberty to convert it over to PDF. Upon review, I determined that I could probably figure out the source(s) of pretty much all the text in this word salad of Sovereign Citizen crazy. For example, the first page and pages 4-12 are taken from a document filed in October 2014 by Terry Trussell, all the way down to the misspellings and grammar goofs.

There's probably nothing new here except for the order in which the crazy has been arranged, but probably good to get it on the record somewhere besides a website which is doing its darndest to make Hovind out to be a persecuted Christian, rather than a tax evader.

Edit: Attachmentpalooza deleted.

Notorial Dissent

Kent Hovind

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:13 pm

It's just a collation, inartfully collated at that, of the standard sovcit nut jobbery, none of it have the slightest legal or real world validity. I doubt it will ever see the light of day unless Kent fires his PD, since no practicing lawyer would touch it with a ten foot pole. Not saying Kent isn't dumb enough or egotistical enough to, just that he won't be able to while he has counsel. If he does however, it should quite handily belie his earlier protestations of sincerity to the judge.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”