Titan Submersible Vessel

RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

Discussion regarding the design of the Titan submersible by a 20 year Navy submariner. Interesting.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by raison de arizona »

Imma hafta watch the vid still, but I don't understand why they didn't have an emergency beacon. Isn't that standard equipment?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

From all the short snippets I came accross - cause it's on the internet - I have the impression that the construction of this vehicle was not necessarily done with sound marine expertise but constructed with a hobbyist approach with consumer off-the-shelf parts. No wonder that little thought was given to emergeny procedures.
John Thomas8

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by John Thomas8 »

Who the fark goes down 12,000+ feet without a locator beacon?

The mutt that made the thing was whining about "too much regulation" in the submersible field.

Obviously there wasn't enough or basics like that wouldn't be absent.
John Thomas8

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by John Thomas8 »

chancery
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by chancery »

RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:54 pm Discussion regarding the design of the Titan submersible by a 20 year Navy submariner. Interesting.
I was disappointed in this video. He has submarine operating experience, but he's not an engineer, and doesn't know much about how the sub was designed, tested, and operated. Just speculation.

I wonder if the NTSB has jurisdiction.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by raison de arizona »

CNN is reporting banging every 30 minutes has been detected.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh please!!!!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by neonzx »

This is going to switch from a rescue effort to a recovery mission today.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by poplove »

Titan submersible maker OceanGate faced safety lawsuit in 2018: "Potential danger to passengers"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-su ... y-lawsuit/
busterbunker

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by busterbunker »

Don't ask me, but this whole thing sounds dumb, like things stupid rich people do.

Like taking your bucket list a little too far.

It's so spectacularly dumb, it dumped Trump to the second slot on the evening news.
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

H/T to JT for the video above. I hadn't known of those cramped conditions, no leg room for hours. And only to observe by video cameras? They could have remained in luxury on one of the several ships that deploy remotely operated submarines for the same "pleasure". :brickwallsmall:
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

busterbunker wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:16 am Don't ask me, but this whole thing sounds dumb, like things stupid rich people do.

Like taking your bucket list a little too far.

It's so spectacularly dumb, it dumped Trump to the second slot on the evening news.
:twisted: He will make the news by declaring he will personally dive to rescue them.

Can we hope for it ? :daydreaming: (I mean really taking the diving part NADT)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Slim Cognito »

Forget Freddie, Jason or Michael. The one thing that truly scares me senseless is a submarine.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:06 am Forget Freddie, Jason or Michael. The one thing that truly scares me senseless is a submarine.
Volkonski
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Volkonski »

Sadly the general success of government regulation has given people the idea that if a service is offered it must be safe. :roll:

Regulations have made things safer but that is not the same thing as totally safe. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

The only thing missing here is Elon Musk offering his submarine to rescue these guys and then calling the rest of them pedophiles if they turn him down.

(He offered to send his submarine to rescue the boys in the cave in Thailand, they turned him down, and he called them pedophiles. That was my first real introduction to Elon Musk. I thought he was a raving lunatic. Turns out I was probably right.)
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
roadscholar

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by roadscholar »

A hobbyist built a sub capable of withstanding pressure of ~3 tons per square inch?

:crazy:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

Honestly, I'm having a really hard time feeling any sympathy here.

They built a sub but refused to allow independent experts to assess it. They didn't even include a beacon when they found it was nearly impossible to find when on the surface. It really sounds like they were a case of enthusiasm & Money over competence. They just felt everything was going to go well because it never entered into their head that they could fail, because they were rich. So they just disregarded all safety thoughts as something that losers do.

Hell their only thing about safety was saying that the ballast would dissolved after a certain amount of time. Which would leave them bobbing on the surface on a practically invisible boat that they had no way of getting out of. So they would suffocate on the surface rather than on the seafloor. Winning.

Guybrush Tweetbad (@Meat__Hook)

BANG BANG BANG THE WATER IS SAFE SEND MORE BILLIONAIRES BANG BANG BANG
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybe he should have built an ascendible.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

Also while I rolled my eyes with the rest of the world when I heard they were using a Video Came controller to run it, its not a TERRIBLE idea if its set up right. But when I heard they were using a WIRELESS connector, that's idiotic. Its just adding another point of failure. A simple thing like the batteries in the controller leaking would strand them.
Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

Suranis wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am Also while I rolled my eyes with the rest of the world when I heard they were using a Video Came controller to run it, its not as TERRIBLE idea if its set up right. But when I heard they were using a WIRELESS connector, that's idiotic. Its just adding another point of failure. A simple thing like the batteries in the controller leaking would strand them.
I agree. I think some of the criticisms are ridiculous. But, there is plenty to criticize on this. I would refuse to get inside something that couldn't be opened from the inside.

By the way... :rotflmao: I just dropped in on a live stream on YouTube. One of the commenters mentioned we should put Joe Biden inside and send it down. So, I wrote "Do we really have to politicize everything"? and the moderator put me on time out. Don't worry moderator, I don't have to listen to a (actual real Florida news station, I kid you not) youtube feed where it's OK to say we should send POTUS to the bottom of the ocean in a vessel that is inherently dangerous, but not OK to ask if we really have to make every single news topic political. Fuck them.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

When the Secret Service insists on showing up in scuba gear ... ;)

Return to “Science”