Duke faculty members win big raises in historic union agreement

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 am

News-Observer

DURHAM

Duke University’s non-tenured faculty have reached a tentative agreement in their first union contract, which includes higher pay and longer-term teaching appointments.

The three-year negotiated contract would cover about 275 part-time and full-time contingent faculty, according to Service Employees International Union, which the Duke faculty joined last year.

Average pay increases during the contract would be: 14 percent for faculty paid on a per-course basis; nearly 12 percent for salaried faculty; and 46 percent for faculty in Applied Music, who are the lowest-paid faculty. Roughly half to two-thirds of faculty in those categories would receive higher-than-average raises, according to SEIU.

The agreement includes multi-year teaching appointments, the same benefits as other Duke employees and pay protections for canceled courses. A new fund would be set up for professional development.

The deal makes history. It would be the first faculty union contract at a major private university in the South, SEIU said. Faculty in other Southern states such as Florida and Tennessee are currently working to form unions.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Reality Check

Re: Duke faculty members win big raises in historic union agreement

Post by Reality Check » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Nice victory for the SEIU. Union victories are few and far between these days. This one comes in the South where unions are vilified constantly. :clap:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm

This happened, too. Maybe there's life there yet.

Chicago Sun-Times
Union group led by Eisendrath outduels Trib owner to acquire Sun-Times

An investment group led by former Chicago Ald. Edwin Eisendrath that includes a coalition of labor unions acquired the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Reader on Wednesday, staving off a competing bid for the papers by the owner of the Chicago Tribune.

“A great group has come together and made sure that a genuine voice with honest and good reporting that connects with working men and women thrives,” Eisendrath said shortly before the deal closed. ...

Terms of the sale weren’t disclosed. But a source involved in the transaction said the purchase price of Sun-Times parent Wrapports LLC totaled only $1.

The Eisendrath group, called ST Acquisition Holdings LLC, won over the U.S. Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division — which is responsible for investigating newspaper mergers and oversaw the sale — by securing more than $11.2 million in operating funds to bankroll the company for an undisclosed period.
Reality Check wrote:Nice victory for the SEIU. Union victories are few and far between these days. This one comes in the South where unions are vilified constantly. :clap:

¡Qué vergüenza!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 am

I am curious as to what brought that about, since that is just so un-southern.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:53 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:I am curious as to what brought that about, since that is just so un-southern.
A lot of work by Duke grad students and faculty. I recall talk about a union when I was a student (I graduated in 2004). Congrats to my Duke colleagues and friends!

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 am

Considering Duke's academic reputation, they are certainly deserving of it.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm

It is important to note that the people who won this victory are not considered "real faculty" on many campuses. Their appointments are contingent, meaning that they are not on the tenure track and thus their job security is perpetually at risk. Moreover, if full time they are likely to teach four classes each semester, leaving them no time for research. That creates a barrier to their ability to move to a TT position at another institution (or even in their own institution). They may not receive the same benefits as do TT faculty. They might not get raises when TT faculty do. With this raise, they will still be earning a fraction of what their TT colleagues receive. When I was an officer of our local AAUP chapter I was among those who worked to raise their salaries and provide a means for them to get appointments of three to five years. I have never been certain that this was an accomplishment.

Modern universities depend on contingent faculty to teach the majority of their courses. (Small liberal arts colleges do not usually do that.) IMHO, both elite and run-of-the-mill universities are deceiving their students by promoting the quality of their faculty when some students will see only one or two faculty members a year.

Contingent faculty are coming to dominate university employment hires. I don't think that is fair to anybody.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Agreed.

Return to “Unions & Labor Issues”