The one good thing about Covid...

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
MsDaisy
Verified:

The one good thing about Covid...

Post by MsDaisy »

The tatas have been freed!

:dance:

In the beginning I'd only wear a bra if I had to go to the shop, or drop off the grands or had to venture into the public for some reason. But now, fuck it! I haven't had a bra on for months and I'm not the only one! Most of my bra wearing friends have done the same, and I notice a lot of other women out in public not wearing them either. "If" I ever have to get dressed up again I may consider it, but other than that I'm DONE with them.

:oldlady: :groupdance:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: The one good thing about Covid...

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:23 pm The tatas have been freed!

In the beginning I'd only wear a bra if I had to go to the shop, or drop off the grands or had to venture into the public for some reason. But now, fuck it! I haven't had a bra on for months and I'm not the only one! Most of my bra wearing friends have done the same, and I notice a lot of other women out in public not wearing them either. "If" I ever have to get dressed up again I may consider it, but other than that I'm DONE with them.

I quit wearing one in '75 and never looked back.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

For me the one good thing about covid, if I had to pick, is that it has strengthened our marriage. We were already good, and I was a little worried about the effect both of us working from home would have, but I needn’t have been. It’s so nice to have coffee breaks and lunch together every day. I no longer get the after-work data dump (thank God). We talk more about stuff that’s important to both of us and less about his job. And it’s a great transition to retired life - he’s retiring at the end of May. I’m mostly there.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:09 pm For me the one good thing about covid, if I had to pick, is that it has strengthened our marriage. We were already good, and I was a little worried about the effect both of us working from home would have, but I needn’t have been. It’s so nice to have coffee breaks and lunch together every day. I no longer get the after-work data dump (thank God). We talk more about stuff that’s important to both of us and less about his job. And it’s a great transition to retired life - he’s retiring at the end of May. I’m mostly there.
We’ve been very lucky in getting happily along too. We’ve been married 14 years and were together for 10 years or so before that. It’s a second marriage for both of us. He has two daughters, I have two sons (all grown and gone) and together we have 3 cats and two dogs :lol:

He retired in 2010 and by then I had already quit working to tend the 200 y/o house and 30 acres of chronic chores we live on.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

MsDaisy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:23 pm The tatas have been freed!

I haven't worn one since late Jan.

I have to go back to work on the 29th so I will have to start dressing again
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

One nice thing I noted: wearing masks has caused us to see that strangers are smiling just by looking at their eyes.

And they don’t even need to be Irish. :mrgreen:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

With the exception of RoadScholar's addition, I really have nothing to add to this conversation. :mrgreen:
101010 :towel:
Wanderinglord

Post by Wanderinglord »

It forced me to go to college so I could afford to pay the rent. (GI bill pays me $2700 a month)
Knowledge is power, power corrupts. Study hard be evil.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

After forty years together, my partner and I developed a system of menu planning and shopping for food once a week.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Good stories. Thank you.

Like some of you, Mrs and I spend more time talking about other stuff not related to work, politics or even family. Just comfortable banter. And despite some of our woes, we've noticed a calming over the last year. It can be seen in our FitBit heart rates. Both our resting heart rates are low 60's now. A year ago they were low 70's.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:09 pm For me the one good thing about covid, if I had to pick, is that it has strengthened our marriage.
This. If ol' Wifehorn and I didn't really like each other, it could have been a nightmare. She is the most bullheaded woman on the planet, and we're perfectly matched. But we've only had one real disagreement since we locked down a year ago. We walk a couple miles every morning now, and it's really pleasant. :lovestruck:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

There are zoom guided tours of New York, Boston and other cities. I am hooked on the New York Adventure Club's offerings. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Donald Trump is no longer despoiling the Oval Office.

Had he even minimally competently handled the Covid-19 crisis -- or even taken it seriously -- he would still be President.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined while representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
filly

Post by filly »

roadscholar wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:48 pm One nice thing I noted: wearing masks has caused us to see that strangers are smiling just by looking at their eyes.

And they don’t even need to be Irish. :mrgreen:
I know a young man who has Asperger's. He is super smart and very self aware. He told me recently that masks have been difficult for him because he already has trouble with social cues and nobody can tell when he is smiling. I suggested he do what I've done: crinkle my eyes so folks know I'm smiling, He adopted that technique and is much more comfortable now.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

sterngard friegen wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 am Donald Trump is no longer despoiling the Oval Office.

Had he even minimally competently handled the Covid-19 crisis -- or even taken it seriously -- he would still be President.
We should prolly thank him for that.

Thank you Mr Trump fro being such a knucklehead. It was yours to lose, and you did. God Bless America.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

sterngard friegen wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 am Donald Trump is no longer despoiling the Oval Office.

Freedom is not free. The cost of removing him from office has become 530,000+ lives. How many lives could have been saved if Covid had been handled properly from the beginning?
Largo al factotum.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I've seen epidemiology modeling that suggests America could have* kept overall fatalities to ~60K-100K.

* based on strategies successfully employed by some other developed countries
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't think any other country politicized it the way the former did here. With a few exceptions, the rest of the countries went with the science. Some had to learn it the hard way, like Boris Johnson.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:44 pm I don't think any other country politicized it the way the former did here. With a few exceptions, the rest of the countries went with the science. Some had to learn it the hard way, like Boris Johnson.
Brazil. No effort to control coronavirus spread. Second highest number of deaths in the world, and it's still raging.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:44 pm I don't think any other country politicized it the way the former did here. With a few exceptions, the rest of the countries went with the science. Some had to learn it the hard way, like Boris Johnson.
Brazil. No effort to control coronavirus spread. Second highest number of deaths in the world, and it's still raging.
Correct. That's the country I first thought of. Bolsonaro is no better than Trump as a person-- that's why they got along so great.

Funny that I have a ton of Brazilian born friends and acquaintances (immigrants). A majority are fans of Bolsonaro yet they universally despise Trump. smh They still don't see it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yep. Of those countries who had problems and some politicization, all were authoritarians.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Exactly why my daughter is trying to arrange a trip home to get the vaccine. She has no idea when she might be able to get one in Brazil.
somerset

Post by somerset »

zekeb wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:44 am

Freedom is not free. The cost of removing him from office has become 530,000+ lives. How many lives could have been saved if Covid had been handled properly from the beginning?
Using this image from another COVID thread:

And looking at the death rate in Singapore, who spent about as much per capita as we finally ended up spending
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.30.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.30.20 PM.png (140.21 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Then scaling for population (331 million in the US, 5.69 million in Singapore), I'd say we could have saved about 528K lives if we'd taken the pandemic seriously right from the start and spent this much money up front. We would have been looked to as a world leader in this, and yeah, the OSG would still be president.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Fiscal response only tells half of the story.
Largo al factotum.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”