The one good thing about Covid...

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
somerset

Re: The one good thing about Covid...

Post by somerset »

zekeb wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:49 pm Fiscal response only tells half of the story.
Agree completely. It's not just what you spend, it's the leadership (or complete lack thereof) that goes along with the money.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:00 pm Exactly why my daughter is trying to arrange a trip home to get the vaccine. She has no idea when she might be able to get one in Brazil.
Why? Bolsonaro said last year that Brazilians have a "natural immunity" to it or some such thing, so she shouldn't catch it from them.
:?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

For the anniversary of our work from home (WFH), my day job's Facebook group for staff had a share what you have done new (or increased) during this time. Mine included learning to play for church services remotely :confuzzled: and watching/photographing birds. However, and this is not necessarily a good thing about COVID, there was something that I could have changed.

Now that I am working from home, I can easily do my laundry during the day (good excuse to get up and move which we approve of for wellness), along with things like starting some dinner stuff before the day ends so I can eat earlier. Does this happen...of course not. I put it off and end up doing it at night like I always have. Not sure why.

I guess if I need to find a good thing about that, it is that I learn more about my work habits (or my OCD loves me so).
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Like maybenaut, daisy, foggy and others, our family bonds are strengthened. Mr520 and I walk, talk, hang out like we used to BK (before kids). Sprout has relaxed a whole bunch, even as he mourns the loss of his entire 21st year of being.

But even he has been super busy with music, putting songs on SoundCloud and recording with select friends. He’s even done a couple of local music podcasts.

Everything has slowed down. Pace of life, news, even the passage of time seem more manageable for me. It’s wonderful.

I’m not actually looking forward to everything getting back to ‘normal’.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I doubt if we will ever quite go back to what used to be normal, but I'm sure a new normal will settle in at some point.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Andy is exactly right. One day you'll wake up and realize that there's been an entirely new normal that settled over this great land of ours, and you missed it because it's hard to see the forest when you're trying not to bump into any trees.

Hey, I think I got an email from Addie last night. I asked for confirmation, and we'll see. But I think it's really her. :pray:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Lani

Post by Lani »

I see a lot of good things in the new normal. Audio description narration, which describes a video’s visual elements for people with low/no vision, is available on several platforms. Captioning and ASL are more available. Home delivery of groceries. More services available via platforms like Zoom and on the internet. Children (and their families) who didn't have a computer or tablet and internet access received them when schools shut down. More people with limited English are receiving information in their primary languages.

I work in the disability rights area, and the changes in our society are opening access and improving equality and inclusion for everyone.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I secretly miss the early days of the lockdown when I had the highways to myself.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yeah, that's been wonderful. My trip to town is now 15 minutes. When we had tourists, it was 30 to 45 minutes. Unless there was a crash. Then it could take 1 to 5 hours.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Around here I5 became the Autobahn (literally). You took your life in your hands if you got in the left lane, and 65 was the slow speed in the right lane.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:33 am Around here I5 became the Autobahn (literally). You took your life in your hands if you got in the left lane, and 65 was the slow speed in the right lane.
By me, both were true. Less traffic, much quieter. If you ventured into it, you found many were driving at insane speeds, etc.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Perhaps crowding people in like a herd of cattle is now a thing of the past.
Largo al factotum.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow cancelled

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gl ... um=custom7
About 200 bands from around the world usually compete in the event, which was due to take place in Glasgow this August.

The championships were also cancelled last year because of the pandemic but they are expect to return in 2022.

The contest was first held in 1948 and has been hosted by Glasgow every year since 1986.

Kevin Reilly, chairman of the Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association, said: "The World Pipe Band Championships is the competition where bands, pipers and drummers want to test themselves against the very best.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Today, we did an in-person Eucharist (church service), outdoors. I forgot to use sunscreen so my arms and maybe neck are probably going to turn a lovely shade of pink. However, my well-endowed nose will finally go unburned. Thank your mask.
101010 :towel:

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”