Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ay-experts
Vaccinating children and teens could be key to stifling the pandemic, experts have said, as clinical trials begin to test Covid-19 vaccines in young people.

While Covid-19 is associated with a considerably lower burden of morbidity and mortality in young people, and there is evidence that children may be less likely to acquire the infection, the role of children in transmission is unclear, according to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

Until everybody – including children – is vaccinated, said John Edmunds, a member of the UK government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Sunday, there remained a “significant risk of a resurgence” of the virus.

The virus can also cause asymptomatic infections across all age groups, so, in a sense, immunising children will protect the elderly, added Stanley Plotkin, who invented the rubella vaccine, co-invented the rotavirus vaccine and helped develop other vaccines, including those for anthrax, polio, and rabies
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... d-evidence
Real-world evidence from the Covid vaccination programmes in England and Scotland show that one dose of vaccine gives high protection against severe disease and admission to hospital – and protects against even mild disease with no symptoms in younger people.

The first real data from the mass vaccination programmes is promising, and although the results do not include evidence that they prevent transmission completely, there is data to show they are stopping some people becoming infected, which should slow the spread of coronavirus.

Three studies came to similarly positive conclusions about the protection offered by the vaccines – one in Scotland and two in England – although they were set up to look at the effects in different groups of people.

In England, the Siren study in healthcare workers under 65 found that one dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine reduced the risk of catching the virus by 70% – and 85% after the second dose. The healthcare workers were all tested for the virus every two weeks, so the study picked up asymptomatic infections as well as those who had symptoms.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:26 pm https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ay-experts
Vaccinating children and teens could be key to stifling the pandemic, experts have said, as clinical trials begin to test Covid-19 vaccines in young people.

While Covid-19 is associated with a considerably lower burden of morbidity and mortality in young people, and there is evidence that children may be less likely to acquire the infection, the role of children in transmission is unclear, according to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

Until everybody – including children – is vaccinated, said John Edmunds, a member of the UK government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Sunday, there remained a “significant risk of a resurgence” of the virus.

The virus can also cause asymptomatic infections across all age groups, so, in a sense, immunising children will protect the elderly, added Stanley Plotkin, who invented the rubella vaccine, co-invented the rotavirus vaccine and helped develop other vaccines, including those for anthrax, polio, and rabies
I took the CDC poll number out of my ignore list and they eventually called me. They were indeed polling in regard to vaccinating children. As soon as it was established that there were no children under the age of 18 living in my house, they wanted nothing more to do with my opinions.
Il factotum
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/2 ... rch-470994
Johnson & Johnson can deliver 20 million doses of its single-shot coronavirus vaccine to the U.S. government by the end of March, an executive will testify tomorrow.

“Assuming necessary regulatory approvals relating to our manufacturing processes, our plan is to begin shipping immediately upon emergency use authorization, and deliver enough single-doses by the end of March to enable the vaccination of more than 20 million Americans,” Johnson & Johnson’s Richard Nettles, vice president of medical affairs for the company's pharmaceutical unit Janssen, will tell a House Energy & Commerce subcommittee Tuesday.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

COVID -19 Vaccinations

Post by Reality Check »

We had this topic before.
Patagoniagirl

Re: COVID -19 Vaccinations

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My neck of the woods is down to 65 and older. Tick Tock. The county has vaccinated 14%. That doesn't seem that much to crow about. Dad, Aunt and Mom are all double vaxed now.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I've been watching two other sites in my small burg where they have internet pages where I can schedule a vaccination. Walgreens has always said "no vaccinations scheduled for the next 2/3 days." My Midwest chain grocery store pharmacy has continued to state that no vaccinations could be scheduled. I managed to get scheduled for this Friday through my local health department. Checking again this morning, lo and behold, the local grocery store is now scheduling. Amazing that they are scheduling on the same day as the Health Department.
Il factotum
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I signed up Hubs with the Florida Vaccine Hotline for his vax a few weeks ago. I got a call yesterday to set up his appointment. He's scheduled for next Tuesday morning, Woohooo!!

Now, to get it into his arm.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

Texas is (surprise!) the Wild Wild West when it comes to procuring a vaccine. In essence, if you are over 16 and meet any of an endless stream of other category you can get a vaccine if you can find one. Fill out a form and there is no verification if you get an appointment. Boom!

I truncated my screen name because I don't know how much longer I will be in this godforsaken state.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Vaccine makers Pfizer and Moderna pledge massive boost to U.S. supply after sluggish rollout
Drug companies planned to tell lawmakers Tuesday that they project a major increase in vaccine deliveries that will result in 140 million more doses over the next five weeks, saying they have solved manufacturing challenges and are in a position to overcome scarcity that has hampered the nation’s fight against the coronavirus.

But achieving a surge on that scale remains daunting. Pfizer and Moderna, the companies with the only authorized vaccines so far, will need to increase their combined deliveries to date of 75 million doses to reach their promised target of 220 million shots by March 31.

That’s a goal of 28 million doses each week on average, far greater than their performance so far. The Biden administration said last week that doses allotted to states would grow from 11 million to 13.5 million per week, and it also directed 2 million doses to pharmacies, part of allocations that are expected to increase modestly again this week.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... r-moderna/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Got my first shot, Pfizer, here in NYC on Sunday. I had to verify my eligibility on the website to make the appointment, there was a clickbox that said I attested to meeting one of the health criteria threatening a $1k fine if I was fibbing. Upon arriving at the vax site (a whole five minute walk, so lucky), I had to prove my health eligibility- my healthcare app had a screen on it that had verification, the hospital my care is handled through had emailed me to alert me to its existence. Painless, maybe 30-35 minutes total? A lovely experience.

Recovery/vax room.
08BC79C5-BED7-4D49-8EA5-0BD210C9DC42.jpeg
08BC79C5-BED7-4D49-8EA5-0BD210C9DC42.jpeg (240.32 KiB) Viewed 12808 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I found AndyinPA had already started a topic on this. Maybe Foggy could combine these?

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49#p49
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I scored an appointment this morning for a different appointment for my husband for Friday. He has been scheduled for next week in Youngstown, Ohio. This morning I got him one in Hermitage, PA. Trouble is, the distance is the same. I knew it was in the North Hills, but I didn't realize it was that far north! I think we are going to keep the one in Ohio. Rite Aid doesn't allow anyone to transfer an appointment, though, so I can't give it to anyone else. :(

I think that the dam is going to break for the vaccines soon.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/02 ... ctors-say/
Lymph nodes are small bean-shaped structures throughout the body as part of the immune system. When they swell, they can look just like cancer. So doctors will have a patient come back for more tests.

Because of this issue, doctors are recommending that women wait to schedule their screening mammograms until six weeks after their second dose. Diagnostic mammograms for a lump, pain or discharge should not be delayed.

“We don’t want to scare people unnecessarily,” he said.

This allows the swelling to decrease on its own. If the lymph node remains enlarged, the doctor may proceed with a biopsy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Thanks for sharing that about vaccinations and mammograms! I shared it on Facebook.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Guys can sometimes need Mammograms too. A surprising amount of men die of Breast Cancer. I'm actually thinking of talking to by doctor about arranging a Mammogram.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-ca ... stics.html
Key Statistics for Breast Cancer in Men

The American Cancer Society estimates for breast cancer in men in the United States for 2021 are:

About 2,650 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed
About 530 men will die from breast cancer

Breast cancer is about 100 times less common among white men than among white women. It is about 70 times less common among Black men than Black women . As in Black women, Black men with breast cancer tend to have a worse prognosis (outlook). For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 833 .
The point being that Men might need to be warned about the same thing.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Suranis wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 am Guys can sometimes need Mammograms too.
No, we need Daddograms. Please. :roll:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Thanks for merging the vaccination threads Foggy. I think there is another one now.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Ghana first nation in world to receive free coronavirus vaccines through UN's COVAX program

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-25/ ... s/13189914

Key points:
92 low- and middle-income countries are to receive vaccines for free through COVAX
Australia is paying to receive vaccines through the program
The UN plans to deliver close to 2 billion doses of COVAX vaccines around the world this year
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Suranis wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 am Guys can sometimes need Mammograms too. A surprising amount of men die of Breast Cancer. I'm actually thinking of talking to by doctor about arranging a Mammogram.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-ca ... stics.html
Key Statistics for Breast Cancer in Men

The American Cancer Society estimates for breast cancer in men in the United States for 2021 are:

About 2,650 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed
About 530 men will die from breast cancer

Breast cancer is about 100 times less common among white men than among white women. It is about 70 times less common among Black men than Black women . As in Black women, Black men with breast cancer tend to have a worse prognosis (outlook). For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 833 .
The point being that Men might need to be warned about the same thing.
My male cousin (my age) died of breast cancer about 16 years ago. It was horrible
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... utive-says
FedEx and UPS said they plan to increase distribution of the coronavirus vaccine 40 percent next week, with peak distribution likely to come in May.

Wes Wheeler, the head of UPS’ health care unit, said the courier service is currently handling about 10 million weekly doses, but that the figure is set to increase to 14 million next week.

If Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot vaccine secures an emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration, that number will increase further, according to Bloomberg.

Wheeler told the publication that even at peak distribution, the vaccines will only account for about 6 percent of its 24.7 million daily package deliveries. By May, UPS projects it will handle up to 1.4 million shipments daily of COVID-19 vaccines.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 pm https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/02 ... ctors-say/
Lymph nodes are small bean-shaped structures throughout the body as part of the immune system. When they swell, they can look just like cancer. So doctors will have a patient come back for more tests.

Because of this issue, doctors are recommending that women wait to schedule their screening mammograms until six weeks after their second dose. Diagnostic mammograms for a lump, pain or discharge should not be delayed.

“We don’t want to scare people unnecessarily,” he said.

This allows the swelling to decrease on its own. If the lymph node remains enlarged, the doctor may proceed with a biopsy.
My wife has a mammogram scheduled, I guess eight days after she got her shot. She called and they told her to go ahead and keep the appointment, but that it was important that they knew she had recently had the shot.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Washington Post -

The joy of vax: The people giving the shots are seeing hope, and it’s contagious
The happiest place in medicine right now is a basketball arena in New Mexico. Or maybe it’s the parking lot of a baseball stadium in Los Angeles, or a Six Flags in Maryland, or a shopping mall in South Dakota.

The happiest place in medicine is anywhere there is vaccine, and the happiest people in medicine are the ones plunging it into the arms of strangers.

“It’s a joy to all of us,” says Akosua “Nana” Poku, a Kaiser Permanente nurse vaccinating people in Northern Virginia.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had an experience in my career that has felt so promising and so fulfilling,” says Christina O’Connell, a clinic director at the University of New Mexico.

“There’s so many tears” — of joy, not sadness — “that it’s almost normal at this point,” says Justin Ellis, CVS pharmacist in Laveen, Ariz.

For health-care workers, the opportunity to administer the vaccine has become its own reward: Giving hope to others has given them hope, too. In some clinics, so many nurses have volunteered for vaccine duty that they can’t accommodate them all.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Johnson & Johnson vaccine approved for emergency use.

Edited to add:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... pdates-us/
A key Food and Drug Administration advisory panel voted Friday in favor of recommending the approval of Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine, setting the stage for FDA authorization, which is likely to come as early as Saturday and making it the third vaccine in the United States.

Johnson and Johnson scientists presented data to the panel that showed that the single-shot vaccine was 66 percent effective in protecting against cases of moderate to severe illness in a large, global trial. It was 85 percent effective against severe cases.
raison de arizona

Covid vaccine adjacent, this could be a real game changer for the hundreds of thousands that die from malaria yearly.
First vaccine to fully immunize against malaria builds on pandemic-driven RNA tech
https://academictimes.com/first-vaccine ... -rna-tech/

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”