Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by Volkonski »

The New York Times
@nytimes
Breaking News: Johnson and Johnson halted future vaccine shipments in the U.S. after about 15 million doses were ruined by a factory mixup.

:(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:33 pm

The New York Times
@nytimes
Breaking News: Johnson and Johnson halted future vaccine shipments in the U.S. after about 15 million doses were ruined by a factory mixup.

This shows extreme stupidity on the part of J&J. Why would they put all American vaccine production at one subcontractor facility (in Baltimore)? A weather event on the east coast is one reason this was a really bad idea.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

filly wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:06 pm
Volkonski wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:33 pm

The New York Times
@nytimes

This shows extreme stupidity on the part of J&J. Why would they put all American vaccine production at one subcontractor facility (in Baltimore)? A weather event on the east coast is one reason this was a really bad idea.
Catalent in Bloomington, Indiana just got approval to start manufacturing the J&J vaccine. The Baltimore facility was just the first out the door.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Also, too, there is a plant in Grand Rapids Michigan gearing up to produce the J&J vaccine.
filly

Post by filly »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 pm Also, too, there is a plant in Grand Rapids Michigan gearing up to produce the J&J vaccine.
Really? I hadn't seen that. That's good news for Grand Rapids. I hope it's a different subcontractor.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ay-travel/
Federal health officials gave the green light Friday for fully vaccinated people to resume travel as an estimated 100 million Americans have had at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine, and evidence mounts of the shots’ effectiveness.

The long-awaited guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is welcome news for the growing number of vaccinated adults who want greater freedom to visit family members and take vacations for the first time in a year. It is also expected to help boost the travel and airline industries that have been seeking a relaxation of restrictions. Until Friday’s announcement, officials were still discouraging people who had been fully vaccinated from traveling.
:blissy:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

filly wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:33 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 pm Also, too, there is a plant in Grand Rapids Michigan gearing up to produce the J&J vaccine.
Really? I hadn't seen that. That's good news for Grand Rapids. I hope it's a different subcontractor.
Yep, Aseptic Manufacturing. GR is actually home to plants producing two of the three US authorized vaccines, Pfizer and J&J.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Just fyi if you've had adverse reactions to vaccines, J&J seems to be the safest. That's per my doctor today, your mileage may vary. For one thing, you're done in one. She knows my history, which is why I carried an epipen and got my shots at a hospital with a longer observation time. I did have some problems - feeling faint, weird taste in my mouth, double vision.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.axios.com/florida-desantis- ... 03f66.html
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday prohibiting businesses from requiring customers to show proof they have received COVID vaccines and preventing the state government from issuing so-called "vaccine passports."

Why it matters: Immunization credentials for the coronavirus have become a controversial subject, especially with Republican governors, though proof of vaccination could speed international travel and economic reopening plans.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:04 pm https://www.axios.com/florida-desantis- ... 03f66.html
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday prohibiting businesses from requiring customers to show proof they have received COVID vaccines and preventing the state government from issuing so-called "vaccine passports."

Why it matters: Immunization credentials for the coronavirus have become a controversial subject, especially with Republican governors, though proof of vaccination could speed international travel and economic reopening plans.

DeathSantis seems determined to get his name in the papers for stupidity and stubbornness quite frequently, doesn’t he? :brickwallsmall:
tek

Post by tek »

He may be an asshole, but he's OUR asshole

:mad:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:04 pm https://www.axios.com/florida-desantis- ... 03f66.html

Wow, it's a good thing we're not in the midst of a year-long pandemic that has killed 30,000 plus people in this state.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Lani

Post by Lani »

Great video! I'm going to share it a lot.

J&J is the only vaccine tested in countries with covid variants. None of the participants who received the vaccine became very ill, was hospitalized or died. Just like the other 2 vaccines - which weren't tested with the variants.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-mich ... 0f8300f102
Nearly half of new US virus infections are in just 5 states
Nearly half of new coronavirus infections nationwide are in just five states — a situation that is putting pressure on the federal government to consider changing how it distributes vaccines by sending more doses to hot spots.

New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation’s new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,500 new cases, in the latest available seven-day period, according to state health agency data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Total U.S. infections during the same week numbered more than 452,000.

Surging vaccines to places where the number is going up makes sense, said Dr. Elvin H. Geng, a professor in infectious diseases at Washington University. But it’s also complicated.

“You wouldn’t want to make those folks wait because they were doing better,” Geng said. “On the other hand, it only makes sense to send vaccines to where the cases are rising.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

In a few more days, I can show my vaccination card and freely visit neighbor islands - no special waiver, no proof of a negative COVID test, no quarantine. :thumbsup:

Hawaii is trying to come up with a "vaccination passport" so visitors don't have to be tested pre-arrival, but the nutburgers are making it hard to do. :roll: OK then, sign up for Safe Travels, get a COVID test, pay the bill, then fly here.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Europe’s vaccine divide: As scientists scramble for answers to AstraZeneca blood clot puzzle, some nations opt for caution
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... 1e56e499ae

The problem is happening more often. Most who are effected are younger adults, and more women than men.
In Norway, regulators have said the AstraZeneca vaccine “likely” caused clots in six medical workers among 120,000 people vaccinated. Four have died.
:snippity:
The level for those receiving the Pfizer vaccine — which is more widely used in Europe than AstraZeneca’s — has been 0.2 per million following vaccination, and Moderna’s vaccine, which has seen limited distribution in Europe, is zero, the EMA said.
Germany now restricts AstraZeneca to people 60 and older.

Also:
In a letter to German health authorities this week urging a rapid change to vaccine regulations stopping the AstraZeneca inoculations, five German university hospital heads described the risk-to-benefit balance for women between 20 and 29 as “unacceptable.”
Lots of information from a variety of countries and differences in the age and sex of recipients. It's going to take awhile to sort this out.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

By the numbers: How vaccine skepticism in Texas' Trump country threatens herd immunity

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... m=referral
Texas counties that are poorer, whiter, less-educated and where former President Donald Trump won a larger than average share of the vote have vaccinated a smaller share of their population than the state average, a Houston Chronicle analysis found.

In the 144 Texas counties that meet these criteria, about 28.7 percent of people aged 16 and older have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Statewide, the average is 32.2 percent.

In Liberty County, fewer than 20 percent of residents have received at least one dose of the vaccine, one of the lowest rates in the state. What’s more, as Harris County residents have begun flocking to rural counties for easier access to vaccines, state data shows that providers in Liberty County — a rural patch between Houston and Beaumont — have put 27 percent more shots in the arms of Harris County residents than they have in residents of their own county

Meanwhile, in the 22 counties where Joe Biden won a majority of the vote — places that tend to be both more diverse and educated — an average of about 44 percent of eligible Texanshave received at least one dose of the vaccine.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:00 pm
filly wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:33 pm
Yep, Aseptic Manufacturing. GR is actually home to plants producing two of the three US authorized vaccines, Pfizer and J&J.
GR probably works well from Pfizer distribution-wise since their big plant for manufacturing and distributing the vaccine is their Portage (next to Kalamazoo) plant (formerly Upjohn).
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 pm Just fyi if you've had adverse reactions to vaccines, J&J seems to be the safest. That's per my doctor today, your mileage may vary. For one thing, you're done in one. She knows my history, which is why I carried an epipen and got my shots at a hospital with a longer observation time. I did have some problems - feeling faint, weird taste in my mouth, double vision.
For the share convenience sake, and especially if it is actually better for varients, I would like the J&J one. However, if it is better for those who may have more health issues, I would prefer they get it as they have a greater need. I can certainly deal with having to go back for #2.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

From CDC

https://www.ic3.gov/Media/Y2021/PSA210330
If You Make or Buy a Fake COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, You Endanger Yourself and Those Around You, and You Are Breaking the Law

The Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG) and the FBI are advising the public to be aware of individuals selling fake COVID-19 vaccination record cards and encouraging others to print fake cards at home. Fake vaccination record cards have been advertised on social media websites, as well as e-commerce platforms and blogs.

Vaccination record cards are intended to provide recipients of the COVID-19 vaccine with information about the type of vaccine they received, and when they may be able to receive a second dose of the vaccine. If you did not receive the vaccine, do not buy fake vaccine cards, do not make your own vaccine cards, and do not fill-in blank vaccination record cards with false information. By misrepresenting yourself as vaccinated when entering schools, mass transit, workplaces, gyms, or places of worship, you put yourself and others around you at risk of contracting COVID-19. Additionally, the unauthorized use of an official government agency's seal (such as HHS or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) is a crime, and may be punishable under Title 18 United States Code, Section 1017, and other applicable laws.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, good luck with that. People are still purchasing fake service dogs ids.
Lani

Post by Lani »

More vaccine problems.

Slovakia claims a bait-and-switch with Russian vaccines it ordered
Russia’s vaccine diplomacy suffered a setback on Thursday when Slovakia, one of the few countries in Europe to order its Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, said that the doses it purchased differed from a version reviewed favorably by a respected British medical journal.

A statement by Slovakia’s drug regulator questioning the Russian vaccine suggested potentially serious quality-control problems in the manufacture of Sputnik V and threatened recent progress made by Russia in winning acceptance for its product.

That progress has rested largely on a peer-reviewed article published in The Lancet in February that gave the Russian vaccine a thumbs-up. It said that Sputnik V had an 91.6% efficacy rate against COVID-19, an endorsement that Moscow has used to raise confidence in the vaccine and strengthen the Kremlin’s hand in vaccine diplomacy.

Slovakia’s regulator, the State Institute for Drug Control, however, said in a statement that vaccine batches imported into the East European country did “not have the same characteristics and properties” as the version of Sputnik V reviewed by The Lancet.
:snippity:
The dispute follows a raucous political battle in Slovakia that began last month when the prime minister, Igor Matovic, who was last week forced to step down, announced that he had negotiated a secret deal with Russia for 200,000 Sputnik V doses. The deal outraged fellow members of a fragile coalition government, who accused Matovic of succumbing to a Russian “tool of hybrid war” and dividing the European Union, of which Slovakia is a member.
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... t-ordered/

‘Nothing is off the table’: Vaccine halt throws rollout into chaos
The NSW government has temporarily suspended giving the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, amid growing uncertainty about Australia’s national rollout.

Late on Thursday, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation recommended the AstraZeneca vaccine not be given to people under 50, who face a very slight risk of developing blood clots.

The advice has thrown the national coronavirus vaccine rollout into disarray, further jeopardising the federal government’s commitment to have all Australians vaccinated with at least one COVID shot by October.

NSW joins other states to react speedily to the changing advice.

NSW Health said on Friday it would halt all AstraZeneca shots until official “informed consent information” was updated.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/04 ... 2020210409
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I haven't heard anything about that on the news anywhere.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”