Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by Volkonski »

The so-called Great Reset conspiracy has a dark new edge, and somehow, deranged HIV fears are involved.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-vaxx ... ce=Weekend
Coronavirus truthers have a new boogeyman.

A far-right Facebook group that spans the U.K. and the U.S. recently erupted in alarm when a user posted, “There are people donating blood after being shot up with the covid crap. This terrifies me.” A wave of comments followed, all reflecting various degrees of deluded, conspiratorial thinking about shots that we know to be safe and effective.

“Isn’t there a rule not to??” one intoned. “Are people that stupid to donate blood after getting a shot?”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

spiduh wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm Covid vaccine adjacent, this could be a real game changer for the hundreds of thousands that die from malaria yearly.
First vaccine to fully immunize against malaria builds on pandemic-driven RNA tech
https://academictimes.com/first-vaccine ... -rna-tech/
Cool. Thanks for posting. This does not appear to have received much traction in the main stream media.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:56 pm
spiduh wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm Covid vaccine adjacent, this could be a real game changer for the hundreds of thousands that die from malaria yearly.
First vaccine to fully immunize against malaria builds on pandemic-driven RNA tech
https://academictimes.com/first-vaccine ... -rna-tech/
Cool. Thanks for posting. This does not appear to have received much traction in the main stream media.
Because malaria isn't much of a problem here in the U.S. It's much more a problem in many third world countries where drug companies are less likely to cash in.
Largo al factotum.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Soumya
@skarlamangla
Incredible! LA County officials say that COVID-19 cases among health care workers are the lowest they have *ever* been.

"This graph is one of the first visible signs of the power of the vaccine to decrease our cases," says LA County public health director Barbara Ferrer.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Deen Freelon
@dfreelon
·
7h
Black vax hesitancy makes headlines, but the most reluctant group by far is white Republicans--a much larger group. https://axios.com/republicans-coronavir ... 7c39f.html

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jim Roberts
@nycjim
Big: President Biden to announce "historic partnership." Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... on-vaccine
The archdiocese of New Orleans has told local Catholics to avoid the Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot Covid-19 vaccine, because its early development used “morally compromised cell lines created from two abortions”.

It said two other vaccines in use in the US, made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, were acceptable despite having been developed with “some lab testing that utilised the abortion-derived cell line”. The archdiocese made the announcement on Friday.

The statement put the archdiocese at odds with Pope Francis. In December, the Vatican said it was “morally acceptable to receive Covid-19 vaccines that have used cell lines from aborted foetuses in their research and production process”, as the use of such vaccines “does not constitute formal cooperation with the abortion from which the cells used in production of the vaccines derive”.

Cells derived from an elective abortion in the Netherlands in the 1970s are commonly used in medical research. Last October, it was widely reported that an experimental Covid-19 therapy given to Donald Trump, Regeneron, was developed using such cells.
I guess this could have also gone into the anti-vaccer thread.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:46 pm https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... on-vaccine
<snip>
Cells derived from an elective abortion in the Netherlands in the 1970s are commonly used in medical research. Last October, it was widely reported that an experimental Covid-19 therapy given to Donald Trump, Regeneron, was developed using such cells.
I guess this could have also gone into the anti-vaccer thread.
That's 'cause Trump couldn't give a flyin' F about abortion, unlike a true believer such as MTG. Trump only cares about adoration and votes. And I think it may be in that order. Oh, and fleecing his followers. He definitely cares about that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tencats

Post by tencats »

Pfizer and Moderna Are Testing a Third ‘Booster’ Dose for Their COVID-19 Vaccines
By Korin Miller
Mar 1, 2021 | https://www.prevention.com/health/a3564 ... ster-shot/
Both companies are trying to stay ahead of new, highly infectious coronavirus variants.
On February 25, Pfizer announced that it is studying a third booster dose in some people who received their first dose of the vaccine more than six months ago. The company specifically stated that emerging and future variants of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, were the reason for the study. Pfizer also said that it is exploring the possibility of a new, “variant-specific vaccine” that would target B.1.351 (the highly infectious South African variant).

Moderna also announced that it has finished making a variant-specific vaccine to target B.1.351, and the company is ready to begin a Phase 1 clinical trial of the vaccine. Moderna says that it will explore the use of the new vaccine as a “booster dose” for people who are already vaccinated. This booster shot will be analyzed in a Phase 1 clinical trial to see if it can “boost immunity against the variants of concern,” Moderna noted.
Is a third booster dose needed for COVID-19 protection?

Both companies suggested that they are concerned about the South African variant’s potential impact on the effectiveness of their vaccines, as well as the possibility that future variants may make their vaccines less effective.

“It’s still early days in the science,” Dr. Schaffner says. “It may well be that we could use the standard vaccine as a booster to protect against variants—if we need it. We still don’t know how long the standard two-dose vaccine will protect us.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've wondered for a while if this vaccine isn't going to have to be given like a flu shot every year. I'm sure there's been talk of that somewhere.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

As America races to vaccinate against COVID-19, line jumpers and racial disparities in distribution emerge

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-03/ ... e/13203104
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

President Biden
@POTUS

United States government official
Three weeks ago, I announced we would have enough vaccine supply for all Americans by the end of July.

Now, with our efforts to ramp up production, we will have enough vaccines for every American by the end of May.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Weijia Jiang
@weijia
NEW:
@POTUS
is directing all states to prioritize teachers and school staff for the COVID vaccine using the program with pharmacies. He wants every educator to receive their first shots by the end of this month.
raison de arizona

From the Michael Moore continues to piss everyone off department...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The diocese of Pittsburgh is now recommending that Catholics don't take the J&J vaccine if they have the choice.

I have heard of absolutely no one who is given a choice. I got Moderna; my husband is getting Pfizer.
tek

Post by tek »

"Catholic Church" need to learn when to STFU.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It's not church. It's the "US Conference of Catholic Bishops, as well as at least 6 other dioceses from across the country have released statements expressing "moral concerns" over the shot due to its use of lab-grown cells that descend from cells taken in the 1980s from the tissue of aborted fetuses."

The Pope disagrees: "The new statement from the Conference of Bishops is at odds with a note approved by Pope Francis, who received a vaccine in January. The December note said that the use of such vaccines does not constitute formal cooperation with the abortion from which the cells used in production of the vaccines derive."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/health/b ... index.html
Pfizer and Moderna did perform confirmation tests (to ensure the vaccines work) using fetal cell lines. And Johnson & Johnson uses fetal cell lines in vaccine development, confirmation and production.

But it's important to have the full context: Fetal cell lines are not the same as fetal tissue.

Fetal cell lines are cells that grow in a laboratory. They descend from cells taken from elective abortions in the 1970s and 1980s. Those individual cells from the 1970s and 1980s have since multiplied into many new cells over the past four or five decades, creating fetal cell lines. Current fetal cell lines are thousands of generations removed from the original fetal tissue. They do not contain any tissue from a fetus.
https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/you-a ... etal-cells
So there isn't a choice. You get what's available or nothing.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

It's things like this that make me glad I got myself declared latae sententiae excommunicationem.

They're willing to get their congregation killed over this anti-abortion s%^t.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 pm They're willing to get there their congregation killed over this anti-abortion s%^t.
If you can look for a reason to be outraged, I can look for a reason to be petty. :mrgreen:

And here is the Irish Bishops Conference statement welcoming Vaccines "for the common good." So ya, its not the Church, sorry and all.

https://www.catholicbishops.ie/2020/12/ ... mmon-good/

Whats actually happening here is the US bishops currying favor with the Protestants as they are kinda tired of being persecuted. And they think they wont wind up with the jackboot on their neck again when the rest of the Evangelical enemies list is sorted if they play nice enough. Fat chance of that.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Great site showing current info: https://fludemic.com/#
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I volunteered today for a vaccine clinic. In the morning, everyone got Pfizer. Some were second shots. In the afternoon we switched to J & J which the Health Department received just Monday. This was 65 and up.

People were so thrilled to get vaccinated! It lifted my spirits considerably. The Health Department here was incredibly organized and we did on average 120 vaccines an hour before lunch.

At 3:30, the director came around and said they had no-shows and about 20 jabs left and would I like one. Hell yes! Got my first Pfizer at 61.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:23 pm I volunteered today for a vaccine clinic. In the morning, everyone got Pfizer. Some were second shots. In the afternoon we switched to J & J which the Health Department received just Monday. This was 65 and up.

People were so thrilled to get vaccinated! It lifted my spirits considerably. The Health Department here was incredibly organized and we did on average 120 vaccines an hour before lunch.

At 3:30, the director came around and said they had no-shows and about 20 jabs left and would I like one. Hell yes! Got my first Pfizer at 61.
Woot! Karma wins again. (You're due.)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dancing bunny! :lol:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:51 pm I've wondered for a while if this vaccine isn't going to have to be given like a flu shot every year. I'm sure there's been talk of that somewhere.
It's quite likely that we will need regular boosters for covid. It is unlikely that SARS-COV 19 (current covid virus; the common cold is a coronavirus) is going anywhere.

Viruses are resilient. They work hard to survive, and they succeed in surviving. One subtle molecular change and a new outbreak will begin. The virus will remain a SARS-COV, but will have tiny molecular changes, creating new strains.

SARS-COV is here to stay. It's not going to ever disappear. It's possible that we'll need boosters for a decade or longer. We will conquer the pandemic. But doing so will not end SARS-COV.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
raison de arizona

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”