Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Coronavirus Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaccers, Etc.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 am
Off Topic
Imagine the horror - I spent a week telling ol' Wifehorn his name was pronounced "gets" and not "gates". I actually had to tell her, "You were right and I was wrong." Auuugh! :doh: :blackeye: :bag:
This is "I love you" in long term marriages. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:50 am
Suranis wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:29 am I guess I'm wrong, again, and should be coned, again.
As I always respond to my worthy sister, when she informs me that I've pronounced a word wrong, or used it in a wrong fashion (think "presently", or "wrong fashion"), there is no meaningful "wrong" in language use, there is only convention. Or I should say, "conventions". cf. "ideolect" and "sociolect".

Everybody gets pissed off at some usage that jars their sense of proper language use. Our pattern-sense is offended. I've learned to shrug and move on (but I had a lot of practice).
True. I started enjoying splitting my infinitives when I learned why it was the rule. The Romans have been gone a long time. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:20 am
Off Topic
Imagine the horror - I spent a week telling ol' Wifehorn his name was pronounced "gets" and not "gates". I actually had to tell her, "You were right and I was wrong." Auuugh! :doh: :blackeye: :bag:
Never been married, but I do know that this is "Iove you" in any relationship, any communication, and in any job. :heart:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, he got the vaccine last week, so he's not an antivaccer, but he was probably an anti-masker since he's a republican gov in a Western state. He's the one who hit a journalist when he didn't like his question when he was running for the House. He was only sworn in as governor in January.

https://www.krtv.com/news/coronavirus/g ... r-covid-19
GREAT FALLS — After exhibiting mild symptoms on Sunday and out of an abundance of caution, Governor Greg Gianforte on Monday was tested for COVID-19 and received a positive result. The first lady, who has exhibited no symptoms, has been tested and is awaiting her results.

Following his doctor's instructions and public health guidance, the governor is isolating for 10 days, according to a news release from Gianforte's office. The governor has notified all individuals with whom he may have had close contact.

All of the governor's in-person events have been canceled until further notice, and the governor will continue to conduct his duties and manage the state's business from his home in Bozeman.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... at-florida
The Republican National Committee is requiring attendees of the party's spring donor retreat in Florida to get tested for the coronavirus and submit proof of a negative result as a condition for gaining entry to the event.

Wealthy contributors to the RNC and other GOP causes are set to gather later this week in Palm Beach to hobnob with top party officials and hear from former President Donald Trump. Trump is set to host a portion of the retreat for a dinner speech at Mar-a-Lago, his private club and residence that has turned into a redoubt for ex-administration officials and Republican donors and businessmen.

But according to an email the RNC sent to people planning to attend the retreat obtained by the Washington Examiner, participants must first "take a COVID-19 PCR or Rapid Antigen test and receive a negative result." That information must be provided to the RNC in advance. Negative coronavirus tests are a prerequisite for attending the retreat, even for those who have been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.

"Proof of a negative COVID-19 test result is required in order to receive your credentials for the weekend," the email stated. "If you or members in your party fail to fulfill this requirement, you will be denied entry to the 2021 RNC Spring Retreat."
Irony is dead.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Off Topic
In German, it's pronounced "getz". Americans butcher german names.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Bryan, the Ammo videographer, was denied dental care cuz he is an asshole and won't wear a mask (he is also not right in the head).
LM K

Post by LM K »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 pm
Estiveo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:50 am Three videos total, +/- 2.5 minutes each.

A beautiful documentary of a mask-hole's elaborate & well thought out plan not going at all the way he expects it to go. Add in the Canadian accents, and this is as satisfying as a sov cit window break video.

I don’t hear any accents. :lol: :kiss:

He can’t be Canadian. He said they owed him 2 bucks, instead of a toonie. :lol: :lol:
There are 2 more videos of this in the twitter thread.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

LM K wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:14 am
Off Topic
That’s why I just ask “How is your last name pronounced?” and go with it.

My wife’s birth name, for instance, is Teufel. In Germany it’d be “Toyfel” but here it’s long been pronounced “Tooful.”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

LM K wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:14 am In German, it's pronounced "getz".
OMG, I was right after all! :boxing:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:26 am
Uh-oh... :cantlook:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Off Topic
I pronounce it "asshole."

Well, when it preceded by Matthew Louis at least. Context is everything in diction.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Americans butcher most foreign names. :cantlook:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's a long read.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... i-lockdown
When the pandemic hit in March 2020, Anna, a young woman from Bradford, was waiting for surgery for endometriosis. The surgery was cancelled, leaving her in excruciating pain. She was forced to close her business, a small tattoo studio that she had opened two years earlier, at the age of 24. She could no longer pay for the weekly counselling that had been helping her deal with her troubled childhood. Her partner lost his job. Anna was convinced that if she caught Covid, she would die. “I was in a terrified bubble, having the news on constantly, crying, worrying, panicking,” she told me. For weeks, she waited anxiously for news about support for shuttered businesses. The cash grant, when it finally came, fell far short. Other business expenses – insurance, bills – went on her credit card. She considered suicide.

Feeling abandoned by the government and frustrated by the daily press briefings, Anna and her partner researched the virus online. On Facebook, Instagram and YouTube, they came across theories about the origins of coronavirus that the mainstream media weren’t talking about – that it was engineered in a lab in China, say, or that it had been artificially spliced with HIV. Some of it seemed implausible to Anna, but it was enough to convince her that the media wasn’t telling the full story. “Loads of people were saying ‘even if you die from a heart attack, they’ll put it down as a Covid death’. I was looking into that, and how many people who died had pre-existing health conditions,” she said. “It was to make me feel better, so I wouldn’t be as scared.”

She read dense, seemingly scientific material which claimed that PCR testing – the throat and nasal swabs that are considered the gold standard of Covid tests – leads to enormous numbers of false positives. She read that the World Health Organization had said that Britain is testing at too high a sensitivity. She read about the cost of lockdowns, and Sweden’s more permissive approach. She read about the death rate; 1% didn’t sound that high at all. Looked at another way, 99% survived. By the end of the first lockdown, Anna was no longer afraid. She was angry. “I’d been sat in my house for four months, in absolute agony, no mental health support, no financial support, and it did an absolute number on me,” she said.

Anna was not the only one to respond this way. During the first few months of the pandemic, a broad movement coalesced online. At the most extreme end were outright Covid deniers, those who believed that the virus didn’t exist and the pandemic had been fabricated. At the other were Covid sceptics or anti-lockdowners, those who thought that the numbers were exaggerated or that the government had an ulterior motive for restricting freedoms. Over the past year, these views have attracted more and more adherents. Occasionally, the most extreme activists have taken direct action: setting fire to 5G masts which they suspected of spreading the virus, entering Covid wards and attempting to remove relatives, visiting hospitals to film empty corridors and posting them as “evidence” that the public is being lied to about the numbers of sick and dying. On New Year’s Eve, a doctor at St Thomas’ hospital in London filmed a crowd of protesters who had gathered outside holding placards and chanting “Covid is a hoax”.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:01 am Americans butcher most foreign names. :cantlook:
To be fair, pretty much everyone does too. Watching subtitled foreign films that reference america, americans, or even the english speaking world, can get weird.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neeneko wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:01 am Americans butcher most foreign names. :cantlook:
To be fair, pretty much everyone does too. Watching subtitled foreign films that reference america, americans, or even the english speaking world, can get weird.
Oh, yeah. A tour guide in Germany laughed and made fun of the way Americans pronounced Bamberg, rhyming it with hamberg (er). She didn't mean it unkindly, but that always stuck with me. I try when traveling (a distant memory, it seems) to learn correct pronunciations, but it can be hard. For a while, I could remember how to pronounce Copenhagen, which sounds nothing like that in Danish. It's easy for me to remember the correct way to pronounce Budapest, though, as I know more about the strange pronunciations in Hungarian.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Yeah, I realize this subject is vastly off topic now.
Off Topic
Having been married to a man who grew up speaking Czech in a small Iowa town where that was not unusual, I got used to his pronunciations of Czech names. So I cringed when my niece's orchestra conductor announced the Smetana piece the orchestra would be playing. He made the common mistake of putting the accent on the second syllable - smeh-TAH-na. According to my husband, most Czech last names have the accent on the first syllable. The correct pronunciation is SMEH-tah-nah.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:59 am

I pronounce it "asshole."

Well, when it preceded by Matthew Louis at least. Context is everything in diction.
As the late, great George Carlin once said, its a name. You can spell your name S-M-I-T-H and pronounce it Janofski. So "asshole" is an acceptable pronunciation of "Gaetz".
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

neeneko wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 am
To be even fairer, "Gaetz" is not a foreign name. It's correct pronunciation is the way Matt Gaetz pronounces it. This holds true everywhere on the planet: people move around, and the spelling and pronunciation of their names change. This has been going on since people have names.

And unless you have the accent/ability to even produce all the phonemes of a foreign language, you're not pronouncing it in its language of origin correctly anyway.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Think Vincent Van Gough, who preferred to be called simply Vincent because everybody botched his difficult to pronounce Dutch name. We say Go, the British say Goff and the French say it another way, (Gog, Gop?) also incorrect.

Had my first anti-maskhole encounter last week. No biggie. I was wearing my mask and had to pass a restaurant door where some young people were standing maskless. As I usually do, I held my breath and looked in the opposite direction as I passed. One young man, a priviledged-looking sum-bitch with god knows what number beer in his hand, said "You don't need that mask, young lady," I put up my hand, palm to his face (talk to the hand style) and said, "Don't start with me," continuing on. I could hear the bastard coughing on me as I passed him.

Fuckwad.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:43 pm :smoking: :snippity:

Had my first anti-maskhole encounter last week. No biggie. I was wearing my mask and had to pass a restaurant door where some young people were standing maskless. As I usually do, I held my breath and looked in the opposite direction as I passed. One young man, a priviledged-looking sum-bitch with god knows what number beer in his hand, said "You don't need that mask, young lady," I put up my hand, palm to his face (talk to the hand style) and said, "Don't start with me," continuing on. I could hear the bastard coughing on me as I passed him.

Fuckwad.
Fuckwad, indeed. One could consider his ill behavior to be assault.

Old friends of ours, both retired doctors, have a son and daughter-in-law who are anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers. The daughter-in-law, at age 48, is pregnant, a high-risk pregnancy (her first) for sure. The son and dil have both come down with symptomatic COVID. These elite, privileged shits maintain that zinc and vitamin D will see them and the baby safely through. The pain and yes, rage, our doctor friends are experiencing is huge. I would feel the same.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Foggy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:26 am
Don't tell Wifehorn. :batting:
LM K

Post by LM K »

My Dad's biodad disappeared when Dad was 2. His Dad adopted him when my Dad was 10.

His birthname is Scottish ... Americans seriously butcher it.

His adopted name is Polish. Many butcher it.

But in the scheme of things, it's not a big deal.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

LM K wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:45 pm My Dad's biodad disappeared when Dad was 2. His Dad adopted him when my Dad was 10.

His birthname is Scottish ... Americans seriously butcher it.

His adopted name is Polish. Many butcher it.

But in the scheme of things, it's not a big deal.
My original family name is Lithuanian: Krakoskaus

When my grandfather joined the US Army in WWII it turned into: Krakoski

Now everyone think my family is Polish...

And they always pronounce it with a "kowski"... :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”