Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

have you received your vaccine yet?

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Lani

Re: have you received your vaccine yet?

Post by Lani »

My son decided not to wait for the J&J to be available again. Today he looked at the vaccine website, found an opening at a site near his home, jumped in his car, and got his first one. :biggrin: So far, no headaches or other warning signs of a reaction - other than a majorly sore arm & shoulder!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:47 am My son decided not to wait for the J&J to be available again. Today he looked at the vaccine website, found an opening at a site near his home, jumped in his car, and got his first one. :biggrin: So far, no headaches or other warning signs of a reaction - other than a majorly sore arm & shoulder!
:fiesta:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I wonder if some majorly sore arms are related to the skill of the person administering. Both of mine were done by seasoned hospital nurses, and neither hurt later.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:11 am I wonder if some majorly sore arms are related to the skill of the person administering. Both of mine were done by seasoned hospital nurses, and neither hurt later.
Maybe, but it could be how relaxed you had your delt. The needles are very short, barely a centimeter. They just have to get it into the muscle. But, if you're tensed up, there's more tissue damage.
tek

Post by tek »

Neither of mine hurt at all the first day. Moderna-1 hurt a bit the second day after.

my Moderna-2 is still making itself felt 3 and a half days later.. the injection area is still warm to the touch.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:11 am I wonder if some majorly sore arms are related to the skill of the person administering. Both of mine were done by seasoned hospital nurses, and neither hurt later.
Maybe, but it could be how relaxed you had your delt. The needles are very short, barely a centimeter. They just have to get it into the muscle. But, if you're tensed up, there's more tissue damage.
Both had me hang my arm straight down, which presumably relaxes it.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Mrs. RC and I speculated about that. We both noticed that we had more pain, more bruising, and longer lasting soreness on the second Moderna vaccination at the same Publix with another person giving the second one. We both barely felt the first one and the soreness was gone in a few days. I had a bruise for over 3 weeks on shot 2.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

This caught my eye, as in all the pix/vids I've seen of people being vaccinated, the needle is quite long. Yesno?
tek

Post by tek »

Same person gave me both of my shots, and the second was much worse.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 am
This caught my eye, as in all the pix/vids I've seen of people being vaccinated, the needle is quite long. Yesno?
They want it in the muscle without hitting the bone or creating a void between the muscle and skin. Most people have a fat pad over their deltoid that thickens south of the shoulder where the muscle thins. You want the injection centered in the muscle through the fat cap avoiding the top of the bone where it enters the rotor cuff. There is a sweet spot in there. The muscle strands are thick and vertical there. If your arm is relaxed, the needle will penetrate the skin and fat, but part the muscle strands placing the injected fluids into the space between them already occupied by lymph. Run your fingers tips front to back on your shoulder muscle. Dig in a bit, and you'll feel the vertical strands. You will find one particular spot that is deeper than the others. That's where you want an injection.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 am
Needle and syringe sizes vary. After they allowed the 6 doses per vial instead of 5, there was a shortage of the low-loss syringes so places were using both types of syringes if they didn't have enough of the low-loss ones. My first one was with a tiny little syringe and needle, the second was a regular looking one. Same group of National Guardsmen and nursing students giving both.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

When I was on active duty it seemed like I was getting vaccinated for something every time I turned around. Some hurt worse than others, but the Pfizer covid was no worse than the worst of those.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Interesting. I have no reason to believe the needles used on my shots were not the same size. First one I barely felt. Second one, I felt the needle go in--at least an inch.

I had no pain or sensitivity either time after the shot on the first day (shots were in mid-afternoon). The next day, both times, my arm was swollen and sore. My arm was still sensitive to the touch after three days, each time.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Had my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine here in Dhaka about two and a half days ago. Since I am due to depart in about two weeks (assuming the government of Bangladesh has ended its lockdown and I am free to fly) for my 5 weeks of home leave before my second assignment in the Foreign Service, I will have to get my second dose in Florida while on that home leave.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Wintermute
Verified:

Post by Wintermute »

The Montananist wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:06 pm Got my second one Tuesday. The only side effect was I bought a new guitar. So... be careful!
:biggrin:
So what type of guitar does Moderna cause? :bag:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Wintermute wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:18 pm
The Montananist wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:06 pm Got my second one Tuesday. The only side effect was I bought a new guitar. So... be careful!
Hopefully a Stratocaster.

Scuse me while I kiss the sky
Wintermute
Verified:

Post by Wintermute »

bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 am
Wintermute wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:18 pm
Hopefully a Stratocaster.

Scuse me while I kiss the sky
Excellent choice.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I am so glad everyone is getting the vaccine!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

OIP (1).jpeg
OIP (1).jpeg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

:like:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We get Pfizer 2 tomorrow morning, a little worried reading the reactions people had here but it will be worth it to feel more protected. Here's hoping!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Second Pfizer an hour ago. Too early to tell about reaction yet, but I am not optimistic.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

My husband got really sick from Pfizer 2. I only got kind-of sick - just some chills and feeling blah. So hopefully ya’ll’ll be alright.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I wrote about my experience with a homebound J & J vaccine program in another thread, but wanted to comment on how happy I am that I had the shot over a month ago, long before the apparent problems started (or at least before the problems were publicized). My only reaction was feeling very tired for the rest of the day, so I consider myself to be extremely lucky.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Sunrise wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:10 pm I wrote about my experience with a homebound J & J vaccine program in another thread, but wanted to comment on how happy I am that I had the shot over a month ago, long before the apparent problems started (or at least before the problems were publicized). My only reaction was feeling very tired for the rest of the day, so I consider myself to be extremely lucky.
The odds of a clot from the J&J are one in a million. I suspect that it will be back in use next week. If I were female and under age 50, I'd opt for Pfizer or Moderna. Considering that I'm male and a couple of years over 50, I'd have no problems with the J&J for myself. It's no longer a choice now for me anyway.
Il factotum

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”