Teachers' Strikes

Volkonski

Re: Teachers' Strikes

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Our very much needed school bond issue was voted down. :( I fear for the future of our city, our state and our country.

So the school district will limp along with overcrowded schools, temporary buildings, obsolete facilities and so forth. :madguy:

http://baytownsun.com/news/article_33dd ... cae8a.html
Volkonski wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Whilst teachers across the country strike for a living wage we are about to vote on a school bond issue. This area is growing very quickly and the school district can't keep up. Currently the district has 23,539 students.

:snippity:

The bond issue is for $437.4 million. :o

Major projects in the bond issue-

A new junior school

Three new elementary schools

Special education school

Doubling the size of the Career Tech High School

Renovating the stadium and adding a field house to it

Multipurpose performing arts center

And much else besides.

The good news for Mrs. V. and me? We are over 65 so our taxes will not increase. :-D We have both already voted "Yes". ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm

So many teachers from this county called in sick so they could march on the legislature tomorrow that they had to cancel school ... for the whole county.

I think I'll join them. :smoking:

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm
So many teachers from this county called in sick so they could march on the legislature tomorrow that they had to cancel school ... for the whole county.

Go for it!!!!!!!! :torches:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 07, 2018 2:44 pm

:bunny:
Foggy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm

¡Sterngard! come home.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon May 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Oh, I messed up again. My bad. :oops:

:blackeye:

The march - and the day schools are closed - is the 16th, a week from Wednesday.

Good thing my son is paying attention. He had to set his dad straight. :bag:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:13 pm
Oh, I messed up again. My bad. :oops:

:blackeye:

The march - and the day schools are closed - is the 16th, a week from Wednesday.

Good thing my son is paying attention. He had to set his dad straight. :bag:
Old farts get cornfuzzled easily!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 am

Quartz
The obscure tax rule that’s stopping US states from paying teachers more

In Oklahoma, schoolchildren use tattered history books that say George W. Bush is still president, and a third-grade teacher is pan-handling to pay for class supplies. Some Colorado school districts can only afford to hold classes four days a week. One Arizona teacher is paid so little that she works three other part-time jobs to make ends meet.

America may be one of the world’s richest countries, but you wouldn’t know it to look at its public education system: US public school teachers are among the worst-paid in the developed world. And many of the US’s nearly 100,000 public schools have been crippled in recent years by tax cuts that slashed school budgets, cut salaries, and threaten teacher pensions.

Tens of thousands of teachers in Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Arizona, and Colorado have staged walkouts and strikes in recent weeks. Louisiana and North Carolina teachers could be next. “We have a generation of students whose entire academic future has been thrown away for corporate tax cuts,” said Noah Karvelis, an Arizona music teacher and strike leader.

One way to invest more in books, schools and teachers would be to raise taxes. But most of the states with striking teachers face a special obstacle that makes that nearly impossible: “Supermajority” tax measures, which require a wider-than-normal margin of legislators to vote for tax increases. Cutting taxes in these states is easy, but reversing those cuts to fix problems like underfunded schools, is tough.

Supermajority laws are a “straightjacket for states,” depriving them of funding and flexibility, says Mary Bottari with the Center for Media and Democracy, a lobbying watchdog group.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri May 11, 2018 1:26 pm

The Nation
Teachers Are Leading the Revolt Against Austerity

The strikes aren’t just about pay. They’re a rejection of tax cuts for the wealthy and a rallying cry for public goods and services.

In less than three months, rank-and-file teachers and educational support staff in five states—West Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Colorado and Arizona—have turned the entire country into their classroom. They haven’t just pushed for—and won—better pay and working conditions for themselves. They’ve also mounted a direct challenge to decades of bipartisan tax cuts for corporations, helping us all understand what austerity means. And by championing a raft of policy proposals to redistribute wealth away from the 1 percent and back to the working and middle-class, they’ve shown us how austerity can be defeated. As Emily Comer, a middle-school Spanish teacher who was a leader in the strikes in West Virginia, put it, “The phase we are in now—to win a real, progressive solution to the health-insurance crisis—forces us to dream bigger. This isn’t just about our healthcare plan. It’s about rebalancing the power of workers and corporations in our state.”

Remarkably, these strikes have garnered overwhelming support from the public, despite years of well-funded attacks on teachers unions. In a recent NPR/Ipsos poll, just one in four respondents said they think teachers are paid enough, and three-quarters said teachers have the right to strike. Remarkably, this support cut across party lines. “Two thirds of Republicans, three-quarters of independents and nearly 9 in 10 Democrats” support the teachers’ right to strike, the poll showed.

The most recent walkouts have shifted to western states. On April 26, 50,000 teachers and their supporters march through Phoenix in 100 degree heat. That same day, thousands of protesters descended on the capitol of Colorado.

Every walkout has resulted in victories, some more than others. In Kentucky, educators forced the governor’s veto of new taxes to be overturned, providing some additional funds for schools. But they fell short of preventing the conservative legislature from weakening their pension plan. In Oklahoma, while educators failed to stop a raft of tax cuts and increase overall funding, they still won their first raise since 2007 by $6,000 a year, which by is huge by local standards. In Arizona, the teachers won a 9 percent immediate raise, with Governor Doug Ducey pledging 11 percent more to achieve what he calls the 2020 deal, a 20 percent pay raise for all teachers by 2020. Governor John Hickenlooper, the only Democrat to head one of these states, responded to thousands of protesters by committing to restore $1 billion in education funding.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 12, 2018 8:09 am

WCNC
Gov. Cooper wants to give teachers 8% raise

Teachers are already scheduled to get a six percent raise next year, but Cooper's proposal is to increase that to eight percent. He said teachers deserve it.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Governor Roy Cooper wants to give teachers in North Carolina an eight percent raise.

The legislature will begin budget discussions next Wednesday, the same day some 15,000 teachers are planning to march on Raleigh demanding higher pay and better working conditions.

In unveiling his budget proposal, Cooper said, “My budget starts with teachers because schools are the focal point.”

Cooper is proposing to pay for the increases by canceling income tax cuts for businesses and wealth state taxpayers.

The legislature is controlled in both houses by the GOP. Republicans hold so-called "super majorities" meaning they are veto-proof and are unlikely to agree with all that Cooper wants in his budget.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am

Celia Llopis-Jepsen
@Celia_LJ
"The Average Teacher Spends $479 a Year on Classroom Supplies, National Data Show" http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/ ... p=RSS-FEED … #nat'led #feedly

8:25 AM - May 15, 2018
Tell me about it. :madguy:

I am the grandson, uncle, husband and father of above average teachers.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 am

In North Carolina, 43 school districts, including Wake County, are closed today because all the teachers will be marching on the state legislature.

I'll be joining them. :dance:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 am

Associated Press
Teachers in red gather before North Carolina education rally

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Thousands of teachers wearing red gathered Wednesday in North Carolina’s capital ahead of a march and rally to demand better pay and more resources for public schools in the conservative, tax-cutting state.

With messages such as “Respect Public Education” on their shirts and signs, as many as 15,000 teachers from around the state were expected to participate in the march starting at 10:30 a.m. Police were already posted along the route through downtown to the General Assembly, where predominantly Republican lawmakers were beginning their annual session the same day. ...

The state’s main teacher advocacy group, the North Carolina Association of Educators, demands that legislators increase per-pupil spending to the national average in four years, increase school construction for a growing state, and approve a multiyear pay raise for teachers and school support staff that would raise incomes to the national average.

More than three dozen school districts that together educate more than two-thirds of the state’s 1.5 million public school students have decided to close classrooms to allow for the show of strength by the teachers and their advocacy group. ...

Jewell said teachers don’t really expect GOP lawmakers to meet all their demands, which is why they are also urging voters to not re-elect them.

“All of this will be fruitless unless we take this energy and passion to the ballot box and change those who are making the policy,” Jewell said.
Adding:
WRAL: Teachers arriving at Capitol, hours before march begins

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

BOTG! :happyfamily:
Foggy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 am
In North Carolina, 43 school districts, including Wake County, are closed today because all the teachers will be marching on the state legislature.

I'll be joining them. :dance:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm

NBC News

@NBCNews
WATCH: Thousands of North Carolina teachers rally in Raleigh for higher wages and better funding. https://nbcnews.to/2jZezEt

11:41 AM - May 16, 2018

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Look! There's Foogy!

Image Image Image Image Image

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Look! There's Foogy!
Yep, he's the one wearing a hat. ;)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Nuh uh. Nope. Never mind.

Shit!

I got downtown at 8:30 for a march starting at 10:30. Plenty of time to park near where the march ended and walk down to where it started, I thought.

I thought wrong.

I drove around for 45 minutes, looking for a parking lot. They were all full. Every last one. Unbelievable. Two hours before the march. No parking anywhere, except a few spots that were 2 hours max. I was going to be there for more than 2 hours. I had to give up and do other things.

On the bright side - there was a YUGE number of people in the march. More than the Women's March in 2017, which had 40,000. Everywhere I went, hundreds of people wearing red and carrying signs. They didn't need me to have a good crowd.

Wifehorn said, "With that many people, if you did find a parking spot you'd be taking it from a teacher," so I did some errands, came home, and did my normal 5 mile walk. Bottom line - I marched, but not in the right place.

I shoulda gotted there three hours before it started.

Crap. :bag:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Look! There's Foogy!
Yep, he's the one wearing a hat. ;)
The black hat.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Bloomberg: The Kochs Helped Slash State Taxes. Now Teachers Are in the Streets

The wave of strikes in the past three months is just the latest sign that Tea Party-style austerity is losing favor.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 16, 2018 2:52 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinio ... 34489.html
The Teachers March is already rattling NC Republicans
BY THE OBSERVER EDITORIAL BOARD

Normally, North Carolina's Republican leaders are a hard bunch to rattle. They're dismissive of proposals that don't fit their agenda. They sneer at people who make those proposals, or people who rule against them in court, or pretty much anyone who contradicts them in any sort of way.

That nastiness has been a part of the rollup to today's Teachers March on Raleigh, certainly. Union County Republican Mark Brody called teachers "thugs" for participating in the walkout. Other Republicans, including House speaker Tim Moore, went with the well-worn approach of smearing the march as a "union" effort, even though there is no functioning teacher's union in our state.

But Republican leaders also appear a bit, well, nervous about this event. They're flooding inboxes with news releases about how well they've treated teachers. They've launched a website, ncteacherraise.com, that helpfully supplies "The Truth About NC's Rising Teacher Salaries." Moore and Senate leader Phil Berger even called a news conference Tuesday ahead of the march so that they could promote yet another teacher pay hike of 6.2 percent in the 2018 budget.

Ultimately, N.C. Republicans also know this: The "truth" about teacher pay is that even after the five raises lawmakers like to tout, our teachers are woefully underpaid compared to teachers in other states. We're not close to the national average, and Republicans are rejecting proposals that would get us there. It's that simple, and 15,000 educators are about to offer North Carolinians their side of the story. We don't expect Republicans leaders to cow, but they have reason to be rattled. They're hardly fooling anyone, and today, everyone is going to hear about it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm
https:// twitter.com/NBCNews/status/996792674144411648
NBC News@NBCNews
WATCH: Thousands of North Carolina teachers rally in Raleigh for higher wages and better funding. https://nbcnews.to/2jZezEt

11:41 AM - May 16, 2018
dotus would have been proud had so many shown up for his inauguration :twisted: :lol:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Associated Press
Dems want to scrap tax cut for rich to fund teachers’ raises

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional Democrats want to give a big salary bump to teachers and pay for it by canceling the tax cut for the nation’s top 1 percent of earners.

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday are expected to propose giving states and school districts $50 billion over a decade for teacher raises and recruitment.

The Democrats’ plan is an election-year slam at the tax cuts passed by the Republican-controlled Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump. Democrats say the cuts are a windfall for the wealthy at the expense of other Americans. Teachers have been rallying for pay raises this year, particularly in states where they’re prevented from unionizing.

Republicans defending their congressional majorities are certain to oppose any tax cut rollback.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 28, 2018 4:31 pm

The New Yorker: The Teachers’ Strike and the Democratic Revival in Oklahoma

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 am

The Guardian
Oklahoma teachers' salary raise in limbo following historic win

Petition backed by conservative activists targets tax hikes intended to cover teachers’ raise

Striking Oklahoma teachers, the worst paid in the US, won a historic pay rise in the spring. Now, conservative groups have targeted the tax hikes earmarked to pay them, and by November the cash could be gone, leaving schools and educators in limbo.

In March, teacher salaries in Oklahoma were raised by an average of $6,100 a year, a raise paid for by a bill that raised taxes for cigarettes, cigars, motor and diesel fuel and the gross production of energy, and initially a $5-a-night hotel tax.

The decision, in a deep red conservative state, was heralded as a major victory for unions and teachers and came after a series of successful teacher strikes in other conservative states.

But a petition now circulating among Oklahomans and backed by a group of conservative activists could defund the wage hikes, leave the state’s already crisis-racked school system scrabbling to find the funds to pay their teachers and has already triggered confusing calls for a stay of promised tax collection increases as the situation unfolds.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 am

WaPo
How bad is teacher pay? Nearly 1 in 5 teachers works a second job, report says

They work as private tutors and soccer coaches, as waiters, grocery clerks and ride-share drivers.

Across the country, 18 percent of teachers earn income outside the classroom, according to a National Center for Education Statistics report released Wednesday. The finding comes from a nationally representative survey of teachers conducted in the 2015-2016 school year.

The report emerges in a year when teachers in West Virginia, Oklahoma and Arizona have protested, calling for higher wages and for states to increase school funding. All three states have struggled with acute teacher shortages, which unions link to the low pay and difficult working conditions — including the fact that some teachers are forced to take on second jobs. Educators have also staged protests in Colorado, Kentucky, North Carolina and other states.

The phenomenon held true across the nation. Teachers in the Northeast, where educator salaries in several states are above the national average, are slightly more likely than teachers elsewhere to work second jobs. The survey did not ask why teachers worked second jobs, nor did it inquire about whether they worked during summer breaks or during the school year.

In Oklahoma, it has become a regular feature of the educator workforce. Earlier this year, the Tulsa schools superintendent said she regularly encountered teachers working second jobs before and after school: They took her to the airport as Uber drivers, rang up her groceries and served her at restaurants.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Return to “Unions & Labor Issues”