Robot Replacement of Human Workers

Jim

Re: Robot Replacement of Human Workers

Post #26 by Jim » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:53 pm

TollandRCR wrote:I agree that being a garbage man is not a fit job for humans. I do think it is better than unemployment.

Helped put me through college...under the table. :D

Private collectors in our towns, worked with my BIL for his dad. Kinda of wild what you see at 3-5 am in a college town. :jawdrop:

Sugar Magnolia

Post #27 by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 pm

SueDB wrote:
Volkonski wrote:More and more restaurants now have touch screen ordering and paying reducing the need for wait staff.

http://www.ziosk.com/

IMHO
And it cuts into their tips. Why pay full service for only half service?

It also pretty much puts the tip on the plastic VISA where it's reported to the IRS and allows management to make rules to steal the tips as they are in control of the cashbox.

We ate at a restaurant yesterday that has newly installed online ordering at the table and we loved it and so did the waitress. No hovering around while we perused the menu so she could jet to the next table, she kept our tea filled and was there instantly if we even looked like we needed something. She had more tables than she used to, but more time to give each table attention. No screw-ups in the orders either. Anyone who has ever eaten at a restaurant with me knows that at least one thing I order is going to be wrong. Every. Single. Time. And yes, she says her tips have increased "a lot" since the system went in.

Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who LOVE the self-checkout at the Kroger too.

Lani

Post #28 by Lani » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 am

Volkonski wrote:Sometimes it is not the direct cost of the workers, it is the liability in the event one of them gets injured.

When I was working we were sometimes able to justify the investment cost for mechanization/automation just on that.

That's why my small county switched to garbage trucks with arms. Lots of workers comp claims. Collecting garbage is hard work and does a lot of damage to backs and joints.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

SueDB

Post #29 by SueDB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:20 am

Politicians are always trying to get rid of Federal workers as they draw a retirement. They do this through - "privatization" where they hired some company that pays dirt wages and no retirement to manage very important functions.

Government by lowest bidder contract.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

TollandRCR

Post #30 by TollandRCR » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 am

President Clinton put Al Gore in charge of reducing the Federal workforce. He succeeded by privatization of their jobs. Each privatized job cost the government more, because the private firms had their direct expenses on top of the salary and usually were also able to charge overhead. The Administration pointed with pride to how effectively it had done its job.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

SueDB

Post #31 by SueDB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 pm

You Want Fries With That?

Robots Could Change the Face of Food Delivery

by Janelle Richards

The next time you order takeout for dinner, the "deliveryperson" who comes to your door may not actually be a human being at all.

On Thursday, Starship Technologies went to Washington, D.C., for the latest launch of its robot delivery service, where automatons pick up orders from restaurants and deliver them to hungry customers.

"Our robot delivers take-away food, groceries, and parcels within a two-mile radius," said Henry Harris-Burland, head of marketing communications for Starship Technologies. "It can carry up to 20 pou

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

magdalen77

Post #32 by magdalen77 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

SueDB wrote:
Volkonski wrote:More and more restaurants now have touch screen ordering and paying reducing the need for wait staff.

http://www.ziosk.com/

IMHO
And it cuts into their tips. Why pay full service for only half service?

It also pretty much puts the tip on the plastic VISA where it's reported to the IRS and allows management to make rules to steal the tips as they are in control of the cashbox.

I use the touch screen to pay at one of the restaurants the man and I usually visit. I like it because it's more convenient than waiting for the waiter to pick up the check and bring the card back. Since I'm not a cheapskate I still pay the same tip.

Sterngard Friegen

Post #33 by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 pm

SueDB wrote:Politicians are always trying to get rid of Federal workers as they draw a retirement. They do this through - "privatization" where they hired some company that pays dirt wages and no retirement to manage very important functions.

Government by lowest bidder contract.

I don't disagree with anything you've written, but Government is inefficient and expensive by design. It's built into the Due Process clause. And checks and balances doubles and triples inefficiencies. Government jobs are often essentially sinecures.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that; just observing. So it's human nature to turn over such work to private industry which can treat its workers much more shabilly and then eventually automate them out of existence.

And in keeping with the title of this thread, remember what "robot" means in the original Czech. Not "worker," but "forced labor."

RTH10260

Post #34 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:remember what "robot" means in the original Czech. Not "worker," but "forced labor."

Sterngard Friegen quoting Frederick Douglass, correct?

SueDB

Post #35 by SueDB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Robots are loyal to whomever programmed them and to the extent of the programming.

Do we need the "Robots Rules of Order?"

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

? William Gibson

Volkonski

Post #36 by Volkonski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:41 pm

SueDB wrote:Robots are loyal to whomever programmed them and to the extent of the programming.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

The second part of the 1st Law is problematic. Just how far should robots go to protect humans from harm? Would robots intervene to stop sporting events to prevent player injuries? Would robots ban alcoholic beverages and tobacco? What about firearms? Would robot servants refuse to prepare and serve fattening foods? Where does it end?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

SueDB

Post #37 by SueDB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Volkonski wrote:
SueDB wrote:Robots are loyal to whomever programmed them and to the extent of the programming.

The second part of the 1st Law is problematic. Just how far should robots go to protect humans from harm? Would robots intervene to stop sporting events to prevent player injuries? Would robots ban alcoholic beverages and tobacco? What about firearms? Would robot servants refuse to prepare and serve fattening foods? Where does it end?

There are a whole bunch of sci-fi stories dealing with what happens when you turn over your ability to make risky choices over to robots.

? William Gibson

Sterngard Friegen

Post #38 by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Maybe we should merge this thread after the last few comments with the autonomous driving thread!

Volkonski

Post #39 by Volkonski » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 pm

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-f ... migration/

Already, fewer Mexicans had been willing to risk border crossings as security and deportations escalated under the Obama Administration. At the same time, Mexico’s own economy was mushrooming, offering decent jobs for people who stayed behind.

With the grapevines he has left, Klein is doing what he can to pare his crews. Last year, he bought a leaf puller for $50,000, which turns the delicate process of culling grapevine canopies into an exercise in brute force. The puller hooks onto a tractor and, like an oddly shaped vacuum cleaner, sucks leaves from grapevines.

He used to spend $100 an acre culling the canopies, which allows the right amount of sunlight to hit the grapes and turn them into sugar balls. Now, he says, “It will cost me 20 bucks, and I can get rid of some labor.”

:snippity:

Well before we got to $25, there would be machines out in the fields, doing pruning or harvesting, or we would lose crops,” Martin says.

Trump may succeed in reducing the immigrant labor force. However, it may well be that the result will be increased automation not more high paying jobs for American workers.

Addie

Post #40 by Addie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

LA Times

Robots could take over 38% of U.S. jobs within about 15 years, report says

More than a third of U.S. jobs could be at “high risk” of automation by the early 2030s, a percentage that’s greater than in Britain, Germany and Japan, according to a report released Friday.

The analysis, by accounting and consulting firm PwC, emphasized that its estimates are based on the anticipated capabilities of robotics and artificial intelligence, and that the pace and direction of technological progress are “uncertain.”

It said that in the U.S., 38% of jobs could be at risk of automation, compared with 30% in Britain, 35% in Germany and 21% in Japan.

The main reason is not that the U.S. has more jobs in sectors that are universally ripe for automation, the report says; rather, it’s that more U.S. jobs in certain sectors are potentially vulnerable than, say, British jobs in the same sectors.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post #41 by Volkonski » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:32 pm

More bad news for those without college degrees. :(

Evidence That Robots Are Winning the Race for American Jobs

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/upsh ... .html?_r=0

The industry most affected by automation is manufacturing. For every robot per thousand workers, up to six workers lost their jobs and wages fell by as much as three-fourths of a percent, according to a new paper by the economists, Daron Acemoglu of M.I.T. and Pascual Restrepo of Boston University. It appears to be the first study to quantify large, direct, negative effects of robots.

But that paper was a conceptual exercise. The new one uses real-world data — and suggests a more pessimistic future. The researchers said they were surprised to see very little employment increase in other occupations to offset the job losses in manufacturing. That increase could still happen, they said, but for now there are large numbers of people out of work, with no clear path forward — especially blue-collar men without college degrees.

The study analyzed the effect of industrial robots in local labor markets in the United States. Robots are to blame for up to 670,000 lost manufacturing jobs between 1990 and 2007, it concluded, and that number will rise because industrial robots are expected to quadruple.

Robots affected both men’s and women’s jobs, the researchers found, but the effect on male employment was up to twice as big. The data doesn’t explain why, but Mr. Acemoglu had a guess: Women are more willing than men to take a pay cut to work in a lower-status field.

This post is dedicated to the memory of my blue collar mother and father who made it possible for me to go to college. :bighug:

Maybenaut

Post #42 by Maybenaut » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Meanwhile, in Maybelot, the robots are planning a takeover...

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #43 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 pm

:eek2: Maybelot is further along in A.I. than Arkansastan.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post #44 by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Maybenaut wrote:Meanwhile, in Maybelot, the robots are planning a takeover...

Intelligent beasts, don't need no programming no more, just give them the user manual to read :lol:

RTH10260

Post #45 by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Scott Peters, Co-Founder of Construction Robotics provides an
introduction to the bricklaying robot SAM (Semi-Automated Mason). SAM
works side-by-side a mason for onsite masonry construction.

More evidence that robots are winning the race for American jobs

RTH10260

Post #46 by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Did we get the coffee already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCThD51pVa4

Lani

Post #47 by Lani » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 am

RTH10260 wrote:Did we get the coffee already?

[bbvideo= :snippity: ]

Yikes, the inventor was funded by Peter Thiel - reason enof to avoid that coffee!

Volkonski

Post #48 by Volkonski » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Will the robot wait at the door in hopes of a tip? ;)

Domino’s Will Begin Using Robots to Deliver Pizzas in Europe

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -in-Europe
Domino’s has tested ground-based autonomous vehicles for pizza delivery in Australia and New Zealand in 2016. In November it also delivered a pizza --peri-peri chicken-- by drone in New Zealand.

"With our growth plans over the next five to 10 years, we simply won’t have enough delivery drivers if we do not look to add to our fleet through initiatives such as this," Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Chief Executive Officer Don Meij said in a statement.

Starship’s battery-powered robot is designed to operate autonomously on sidewalks, not roads, and has a maximum speed of four miles per hour carrying loads up to 20 pounds. Its cargo hold, which customers unlock with a code sent to their mobile phones, is insulated and the pizzas will also be placed inside a special hot or cold bag similar to the ones used for motorcycle-based deliveries.
Starship is already delivering food orders for Just Eat Plc in London, in the upmarket neighborhood of Greenwich. It also has partnerships for food, grocery and parcel deliveries with Postmates, DoorDash, Hermes Parcel Delivery Service, Swiss Post and Wolt in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Switzerland and Estonia.

Lani

Post #49 by Lani » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:50 am

Thanks for that article. I wound up researching it. Starship Technologies was founded in 2014 by Skype cofounders Janus Friis and Ahti Heinla. Here's its website: https://www.starship.xyz. The timeline seems to show that it's growing quickly. It recently secured approval for pilot testing in Washington, DC.

Sterngard Friegen

Post #50 by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 am

Volkonski wrote:Will the robot wait at the door in hopes of a tip? ;)

Domino’s Will Begin Using Robots to Deliver Pizzas in Europe

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -in-Europe
Domino’s has tested ground-based autonomous vehicles for pizza delivery in Australia and New Zealand in 2016. In November it also delivered a pizza --peri-peri chicken-- by drone in New Zealand.

"With our growth plans over the next five to 10 years, we simply won’t have enough delivery drivers if we do not look to add to our fleet through initiatives such as this," Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Chief Executive Officer Don Meij said in a statement.

Starship’s battery-powered robot is designed to operate autonomously on sidewalks, not roads, and has a maximum speed of four miles per hour carrying loads up to 20 pounds. Its cargo hold, which customers unlock with a code sent to their mobile phones, is insulated and the pizzas will also be placed inside a special hot or cold bag similar to the ones used for motorcycle-based deliveries.
Starship is already delivering food orders for Just Eat Plc in London, in the upmarket neighborhood of Greenwich. It also has partnerships for food, grocery and parcel deliveries with Postmates, DoorDash, Hermes Parcel Delivery Service, Swiss Post and Wolt in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Switzerland and Estonia.

Unlikely, since the tightwads Down Under don't tip human servers.

Return to “Unions & Labor Issues”