Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Lani

Re: Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Post by Lani » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Infectious Theory of Alzheimer's Disease Draws Fresh Interest

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... h-interest
In 2016, 32 researchers from universities around the world signed an editorial in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease calling for "further research on the role of infectious agents in [Alzheimer's] causation." Based on much of the same evidence Norins encountered, the authors concluded that clinical trials with antimicrobial drugs in Alzheimer's are now justified.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:48 pm

MRich wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:13 pm
A couple months ago I posted about my father having memory issues. (He's the one that asked if he should go to the bank to get some traveler's checks for a trip for his brother-in-law's funeral. http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 06#p981606 if you're interested.) Here's an update - I know it's a lot but it feels good to share this even if nobody reads it.

<snip>
I am happy you could share Good News about your Dad. Thanks and Best Wishes for the future. :bighug:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 am

Daily aspirin may be harmful for healthy, older adults, large study finds
it — for older people who have not already had a heart attack or stroke.

The new research reinforces the results from a study published in late August, which found that daily low-dose aspirin was too risky to be prescribed to patients at moderate risk of heart disease. In the August study and the new one, researchers found a significant risk of internal gastric bleeding caused by the medication, which thins the blood. Older patients experienced no health benefits from taking aspirin, according to the new report, published Sunday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heart-he ... dy-n909791

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... h-interest
In 2017, Norins launched Alzheimer's Germ Quest Inc., a public benefit corporation he hopes will drive interest into the germ theory of Alzheimer's, and through which his prize will be distributed. A white paper he penned for the site reads: "From a two-year review of the scientific literature, I believe it's now clear that just one germ — identity not yet specified, and possibly not yet discovered — causes most AD. I'm calling it the 'Alzheimer's Germ.' "

Norins is quick to cite sources and studies supporting his claim, among them a 2010 study published in the Journal of Neurosurgery showing that neurosurgeons die from Alzheimer's at a nearly 2 1/2 times higher rate than they do from other disorders.

Another study from that same year, published in The Journal of the American Geriatric Society, found that people whose spouses have dementia are at a 1.6 times greater risk for the condition themselves.

Contagion does come to mind. And Norins isn't alone in his thinking.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:50 am

CBS News
Number of Americans with Alzheimer's expected to soar in coming decades

The number of people living with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias will double by 2060, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Alzheimer's disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States and the fifth leading cause among those aged 65 and older. It's an irreversible, progressive brain disorder that slowly robs people of memory and, eventually, a person's ability to perform even the simplest tasks. There is no cure.

In 2014, there were 5 million people in the U.S. with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias – about 1.6 percent of the U.S. population. That number is projected to grow to 13.9 million, nearly 3.3 percent of the population, in 2060.

"This study shows that as the U.S. population increases, the number of people affected by Alzheimer's disease and related dementias will rise, especially among minority populations," said CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, M.D. "Early diagnosis is key to helping people and their families cope with loss of memory, navigate the health care system, and plan for their care in the future."

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:32 am

There is an increasing risk (especially considering the size of the Baby Boomer generation) of elderly people who are without anyone assisting them. I mean someone like a grown child or other relation, who is stronger and clearer-headed, solicitous of the elderly person's persons welfare and willing/able to help guide them through the Medicare/nursing home/medical system.

Too many of the Baby Boomers have no children - at least none who are located nearby - who would hold their hand and make sure they see doctors at the right time, deal with the bureaucrats, make sure they are properly cared for in the nursing homes, etc. The result is that many thousands of elderly Americans will be neglected medically, get less-than-optimum service, etc

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am

Eight or nine years ago I went to visit my mother for a yearly visit (At the time I lived out of the country). She was always highly organized, a clean freak, and very active. I found her not neatly dressed but in pajamas which had not been changed in days, her house unkempt and very little in her fridge. I asked her if she had been ill, though when talking with her in planning the visit she seemed fine. She seemed somewhat confused and fell twice during the night on her way to the bathroom.

I called my.brothers and our first concerns were a UTI, or dementia. I got her in to see a doctor immediately. Turned out her O2 level was dangerously low! They did a blood panel and urine test as well. Within a day wearing her new life tube of O2, she was back to normal, enlisting me in housework and other projects. I was grateful her new doc said let's see if this helps before we schedule a blitz of expensive and possibly unnecessary tests.

I just came to Ohio to be close to my father (82) in August. Just two months ago he called me to tell me.he had been falling down/passing out and feeling fuzzy. His wife blamed it on him eating things he shouldn't and put him on some cockamamie diet with supplements. I made him go to his doctor and get checked out. Same thing...low O2 AND low BP.

So, please, don't be afraid to have some simple things checked out. Go to a doctor.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 am

And yes to Tollie's post up thread about outlasting ourselves. I think if Mister had known what his last months were going to be, he would have chosen a.different way to leave. After taking that journey with him I have decided that I do not want that for me, and I do not want anyone I love to see that.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:11 am

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am
Eight or nine years ago I went to visit my mother for a yearly visit (At the time I lived out of the country). She was always highly organized, a clean freak, and very active. I found her not neatly dressed but in pajamas which had not been changed in days, her house unkempt and very little in her fridge. I asked her if she had been ill, though when talking with her in planning the visit she seemed fine. She seemed somewhat confused and fell twice during the night on her way to the bathroom.

I called my.brothers and our first concerns were a UTI, or dementia. I got her in to see a doctor immediately. Turned out her O2 level was dangerously low! They did a blood panel and urine test as well. Within a day wearing her new life tube of O2, she was back to normal, enlisting me in housework and other projects. I was grateful her new doc said let's see if this helps before we schedule a blitz of expensive and possibly unnecessary tests.

I just came to Ohio to be close to my father (82) in August. Just two months ago he called me to tell me.he had been falling down/passing out and feeling fuzzy. His wife blamed it on him eating things he shouldn't and put him on some cockamamie diet with supplements. I made him go to his doctor and get checked out. Same thing...low O2 AND low BP.

So, please, don't be afraid to have some simple things checked out. Go to a doctor.
Low BP can put you on the ground in a heartbeat. One thing that can cause and / or exacerbate low BP is not staying properly hydrated. Working out in the gym one Sat. shortly after having a pacemaker / defibrillator implanted and 4 months out from a split sternum for my triple CABG I got off a stationary bike took two steps and passed out. A 'helpful' patron started chest compressions without properly checking for a pulse. I had just healed to the point where coughing was possible without grabbing my teddy bear. Spent the night in the hospital. My device showed that the heart had no electrical or rhythm issues during the incident. Luckily the Good Samaritan was not very big and had not broken any ribs. My pain level for the next week or so was as bad or worse than it had been immediately post op.
A quick check for dehydration that my cardiologist uses is to pinch a bit of skin on the back of my hand. If the skin doesn't return to normal after no more than about two seconds it is time to drink copious amounts of water.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:39 am

^all of the above!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:34 pm

I can attest to dehydration causing low BP and dizzyness.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Now that rehydration has entered the discussion, I'm reminded of a post I made the other day to the Drunk Tank. I have no experience with the product, so I am not making a recommendation, but for information purposes, I cross-post:
I have no idea why I read this article. I who have, tops, six drinks in a year. But it may interest youse lushes.
Vox: How Pedialyte got Pedialit

Inside Pedialyte’s journey from toddler flu remedy to hangover fix.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:16 pm
Now that rehydration has entered the discussion, I'm reminded of a post I made the other day to the Drunk Tank. I have no experience with the product, so I am not making a recommendation, but for information purposes, I cross-post:
I have no idea why I read this article. I who have, tops, six drinks in a year. But it may interest youse lushes.
Vox: How Pedialyte got Pedialit

Inside Pedialyte’s journey from toddler flu remedy to hangover fix.
I’ve had recent experience with Pedialyte. It’s nasty. :sick:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 pm

It's not only the day-to-day living and medical issues which present problems as we age, it's also the financial vulnerability. You have men like my father - a typical brilliant doctor who thought he knew everything. Dad's decisions when he was younger were all good. But once he got up in years? Who the f* buys a variable annuity when they're 80+ years old? Vulnerable adults with money are easy prey for "investment advisors" who are really looking out for their own best interests, and for irresponsible children who figure Pops won't miss a thousand or two or ten or one hundred.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I'll take your word for it :blink:
Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 pm
I’ve had recent experience with Pedialyte. It’s nasty. :sick:

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:36 am

Cross-posting
Daily Beast: Neo-Nazi Couple Accused of Killing Man to Claim Squatter's Rights to His Home

Jeremy and Lorena Shaw are accused of a bizarre plot to murder a retiree and take over the man’s house so no one would notice.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am

Justice.gov.usao-edny: Long Island Resident Pleads Guilty to Multimillion Dollar Elder Fraud Scheme and to Defrauding the Federal Trade Commission

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:19 am

Addie wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am
Justice.gov.usao-edny: Long Island Resident Pleads Guilty to Multimillion Dollar Elder Fraud Scheme and to Defrauding the Federal Trade Commission
The guy ought to have migrated to Nigeria wth those $$$ millions :twisted:

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Funny Prayer about Getting Old at the Caregiver of the Year Dinner

Published on Apr 7, 2010
With the timing of a professional comedian, this diminutive "little old lady" shines a very funny light on the foibles of aging, to the delight of an audience filled with senior-care experts.

A friend of the couple who founded Home Instead Senior Care, Mary Maxwell was asked to give the invocation at the company's 2009 Convention. Initially it seemed like a normal prayer, but it soon took a very funny turn. Her deadpan delivery and lines like ...This is the first time I've ever been old... and it just sort of crept up on me ... had everyone rolling in the aisles.

For more of Mary's unique view on aging, check out her video blog on CaregiverStress.com:
http://www.caregiverstress.com/voice/...

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Funny and sweet.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:41 am

Yikes! Mrs was up at midnight, got her feet tangled in her bathrobe belt, fell down, and spent some time on the floor as I snoozed. Her pride, among other things being wounded, kept her from saying anything about it until I noticed her arms. Thankfully, nothing terrible happened. No broken bones. No blood. Christmas presents spilled all over. A chair went crashing into a door. And I'm sure her hitting the floor wasn't very quiet. But, none of that raised me. I slept right through it. Holy Cow!!! One of my worst fears is starting to come true.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 am

:eek2: :bighug:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 pm

My husband is in the hospital with severe pneumonia. One of his doctors said this morning his X-ray could be in a medical textbook for how bad pneumonia could get. One other doctor said he made it in the nick of time.

He has been coughing for a few weeks and went to our doctor's walk-in clinic last week on Wednesday and they said he had a bad cold. But the next day he started sleeping for days at a time, finally got up on Saturday for a while. I knew it was worse than a cold, thought maybe the flu. He was up on Sunday, went to bed, but got up about midnight and started talking about running errands and hallucinating. It scared me. I said I think I should call an ambulance; he said no. He was up on Monday, no more hallucinating, no more on Tuesday. He went back to bed Tuesday night and got up again about midnight and started hallucinating again. Once again, said he would not go if I called an ambulance. He slept really soundly that night, not coughing or moaning too much, but Wednesday morning I said that's it, I'm calling the doctor. He said okay.

He fell at the doctor's office in the waiting room; they put him in wheelchair and took him back. They almost immediately put him on oxygen and then called for an ambulance to take him straight to the hospital. They weren't sure what, but were sure there was in infection somewhere. It took them almost no time to diagnose him in the ER. I'm not sure how long he is going to be there, but he isn't coming home any time too soon.

The point I'm making here is that hallucinations are often a sign of infection in older people. I did not recognize this or remember this and I knew it from my mother. It scared me both times he did it, but I didn't put two and two together and feel about that, but he's looking and feeling better now.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 pm
My husband is in the hospital with severe pneumonia. One of his doctors said this morning his X-ray could be in a medical textbook for how bad pneumonia could get. One other doctor said he made it in the nick of time.
I'm not sure how long he is going to be there, but he isn't coming home any time too soon.

The point I'm making here is that hallucinations are often a sign of infection in older people.................
but he's looking and feeling better now.
Sorry about your husband's illness. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Take care of yourself also. :bighug:

I wasn't aware (or forgot) about the hallucinations/infection connection. Thanks for the info.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 pm
I'm so sorry to hear this. Big hugs to both of you. It was wonderful to meet up with you in Pittsburgh last summer. You and your husband have been very kind to me and my son for which we are forever grateful.

Return to “Social Issues”