Marijuana

RTH10260

Marijuana

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:59 am

Marijuana Legalization 2016: DEA’s New Cannabis Laws Make CBD, Other Extracts Schedule I Drugs
BY SEERAT CHABBA @CRAT074 ON 12/15/16 AT 3:30 AM

United States’ Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on Wednesday set new cannabis extract laws by amending the Schedule I Controlled Substances Act to include tighter regulations for marijuana extracts, including cannabidiol (CBD).

In the new drug code titled “Establishment of a New Drug Code for Marihuana Extract,” the DEA says it is “creating a separate code number for marihuana extract with the following definition: ‘Meaning an extract containing one or more cannabinoids that has been derived from any plant of the genus Cannabis, other than the separated resin (whether crude or purified) obtained from the plant.’ Extracts of marihuana will continue to be treated as Schedule I controlled substances.”

This means CBD and all other extracts derived from the cannabis plant (psychoactive or not) will come under Schedule 1 drugs, like heroin, LSD, marijuana, and ecstasy, and cannot cross state lines. Any person currently licensed to produce and handle marijuana extracts is required to apply for a modification of their registration by Jan. 13, 2017, the new document says.

“For practical purposes, all extracts that contain CBD will also contain at least small amounts of other cannabinoids. However, if it were possible to produce from the cannabis plant an extract that contained only CBD and no other cannabinoids, such an extract would fall within the new drug code,” the DEA said.

The declaration, which critics say was made silently to avoid criticism, was justified with the help of international treaties: “Under international drug control treaties administered by the United Nations, some differences exist between the regulatory controls pertaining to marihuana extract versus those for marihuana and tetrahydrocannabinols.”

“The DEA has previously established separate code numbers for marihuana and for tetrahydrocannabinols, but not for marihuana extract,” the document’s summary read.

Medicinal marijuana activists, however, are questioning the legality of the move.
http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-legali ... -i-2460829

Lani

Re: Marijuana

Post by Lani » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:51 am

That's insane. CBD with less than .3% THC has been legally shipped around the country as hemp and benefited many people. I know several people who are benefiting from it, or their children are, to reduce seizures, muscle spasms, Tourettes, etc.

Update: Yep, the CBD people re freaking out, but I was forwarded this statement:
"This new rule does not create any new substantive regulation or law regarding the legal status of marijuana or marijuana extract. Instead, it creates a new tracking code number for “Marihuana Extracts” (which include cannabinoids).

Previously, Marijuana Extracts were classified under the code number for “Marihuana. Under the new rule, extracts are now classified separately. The DEA uses these codes to track quantities of controlled substances imported to and exported from the United States. This new rule affects only DEA-registered entities who previously were required to track such materials. The document states, the only direct effect to registrants who handle marihuana extracts will be the requirement to add the new drug code to their registrations.

Regarding the legal status of CBD derived from industrial hemp: The 2014 US Farm Bill was an act of congress signed by the president and that is the highest law of the land. The DEA cannot make law and try to redefine a law passed by the US Congress which defined industrial hemp in section 7606 as "Any cannabis sativa L that produces naturally less than .3% THC on a dry weight basis."

Furthermore, the DEA is not allowed to interfere with a legal state licensed cannabis business - there is very recent case law that set precedent for this in the 9th circuit."

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:24 am

Lani wrote: :snippity:
Update: Yep, the CBD people re freaking out, but I was forwarded this statement:
:snippity:
Thanks for the clarification.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 am

IMG_3556.JPG
Got it off Amazon when I first got diagnosed with cancer. Did it help, dunno. Did it hurt, no.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Damn. I'd better stock up. The CBD tinctures cut my sprout's anxiety in half. There is no other thing on the market that works that doesn't have grave side effects, like suicidal ideation. :roll:

Why does the DEA hate People with anxiety? :evil:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 pm

kate520 wrote:Damn. I'd better stock up. The CBD tinctures cut my sprout's anxiety in half. There is no other thing on the market that works that doesn't have grave side effects, like suicidal ideation. :roll:

Ya might be too late, don't see it on Amazon anymore. We have a local garden supply company that sold it, I wonder what they've done?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:25 pm

I have...other alternatives. :mrgreen:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:34 pm

kate520 wrote:Damn. I'd better stock up. The CBD tinctures cut my sprout's anxiety in half. There is no other thing on the market that works that doesn't have grave side effects, like suicidal ideation. :roll:

I have some experience with making tinctures---PM me if you need any advice regarding other options. This is actually something I'm investigating getting involved in professionally (the science of medical marijuana).

In fact, my dad's doctor called me earlier today to ask if I would consult with one of her patients who wants to use marijuana but needs to avoid smoking. I'm looking forward to seeing where that leads.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

I have some experience with making tinctures---PM me if you need any advice regarding other options. This is actually something I'm investigating getting involved in professionally (the science of medical marijuana).

In fact, my dad's doctor called me earlier today to ask if I would consult with one of her patients who wants to use marijuana but needs to avoid smoking. I'm looking forward to seeing where that leads.
The first marijuana shop in Anchorage made their first sale yesterday. (Well, they sold plants for a few days first).

The 80 year old woman who was the first customer is going to make a lotion/cream for topical application on her sore knees.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Arctic ... 36065.html

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:59 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

The first marijuana shop in Anchorage made their first sale yesterday. (Well, they sold plants for a few days first).

The 80 year old woman who was the first customer is going to make a lotion/cream for topical application on her sore knees.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Arctic ... 36065.html
I talked with the wife of a friend that makes edibles, tinctures, and such (at cost, just to help people) and she gave me some infused lotion she made to try. I've used it on my knees and found it to be effective in dealing with joint pain.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Did you know they deliver in California? While I was talking with Tanner yesterday I was absently rubbing my sore shoulder. He asked if it hurt and if I'd like to try a cream. It was helpful, more helpful than Tylenol and much less toxic.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Hawaii is opening medical marijuana pharmacies in a few months. When I went to Denver, I spoke with folks about what they offered as I have my doubts about the people opening pharmacies here having any idea what they are doing. There was an amazing array of oils, lotions and edibles with different potencies and different ratios of THC to CBD depending on the medical problem. IIRC 50-50 THC/CBD was recommended for severe pain and cancer.

Currently in Hawaii, people with medical marijuana cards have to grow their own, and there is little to no information on the potency of the various cannabinoids. The good news from my meeting was that a leading medical marijuana researcher has moved here and will be improving services in the state.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:54 pm

More Women Smoking Pot While Pregnant
U.S. women are increasingly using marijuana during pregnancy, sometimes to treat morning sickness.

Dec. 19, 2016, at 11:52 a.m. LINDSEY TANNER, AP Medical Writer

CHICAGO (AP) — U.S. women are increasingly using marijuana during pregnancy, sometimes to treat morning sickness, new reports suggest. Though the actual numbers are small, the trend raises concerns because of evidence linking the drug with low birth weights and other problems.

In 2014, almost 4 percent of pregnant women said they'd recently used marijuana, up from 2.4 percent in 2002, according to an analysis of annual drug use surveys.

[READ MORE: Illicit Opioids Drive Increase in Drug Overdose Deaths]

Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, said the results raise concerns and urged doctors and other health care providers to avoid recommending the drug for pregnant women. Volkow commented in an editorial published online Monday with the study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
http://www.usnews.com/news/news/article ... tudy-finds

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:37 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... gs-w488311
Medical Marijuana Bill Aims to Fight Jeff Sessions' Renewed War on Drugs
"Marijuana laws in America are broken," said Sen. Cory Booker, reintroducing a bill that would let some state weed laws supersede federal prohibition

A bipartisan group of U.S. senators introduced a bill on Thursday that would allow state medical marijuana laws to supersede the current federal prohibition on weed. The bill is dubbed the CARERS Act, which stands for the Compassionate Access, Research Expansion, and Respect States Act.

The legislation would allow the varying laws legalizing some form of medical marijuana in 30 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam to stand. When it was introduced in 2015 it was the first ever medical marijuana bill introduced in the U.S. Senate. But times have changed since then.

For one, back then the bill only had three original sponsors: Booker, Democratic Sen. Kirstin Gillibrand and Republican Sen. Rand Paul, who has long supported medical marijuana as part if his libertarian platform. Now it has six, adding Democratic Sen. Al Franken and Republican Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Mike Lee. The other big change from 2015: Donald Trump now occupies the Oval Office.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:52 am

Could this open up possibilities for other State laws to take precedence over Federal laws. I can think of lots of damage Republicans in Congress can do with this kind of thing. And they will. Bet on it. IMO.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I would much prefer changing Federal law. The ancient laws were scientifically uninformed, ignorant of American history, and wide open to new abuses.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:47 pm

TollandRCR wrote:I would much prefer changing Federal law. The ancient laws were scientifically uninformed, ignorant of American history, and wide open to new abuses.
:like:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Reeeko

Post by Reeeko » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:18 pm

TollandRCR wrote:I would much prefer changing Federal law. The ancient laws were scientifically uninformed, ignorant of American history, and wide open to new abuses.
Given that it required a constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol, I've always wondered by what authority the feds can prohibit a plant. I know, treaty (Single Convention) and all, but still.

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Reeeko wrote:Given that it required a constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol, I've always wondered by what authority the feds can prohibit a plant. I know, treaty (Single Convention) and all, but still.
According to Justice Stevens' majority opinion in Gonzales v. Raich (2005), it's the Commerce Clause.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Reeeko wrote:Given that it required a constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol, I've always wondered by what authority the feds can prohibit a plant. I know, treaty (Single Convention) and all, but still.
I doubt a constitutional amendment was needed and doing so was going too far. Passing a law would have been enough, yes? It would have been just as effective. What if they were to simply classify alcohol as a Schedule 1 drug?

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Reeeko

Post by Reeeko » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Dr. Caligari wrote:
According to Justice Stevens' majority opinion in Gonzales v. Raich (2005), it's the Commerce Clause.
Which you wouldn't think on the surface would apply to growing and/or possessing weed in a single state, but as I vaguely recall from college, the logic is that could affect interstate commerce anyway because it would potentially affect the market from other states, right?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 am

Reeeko wrote:
Dr. Caligari wrote:
Which you wouldn't think on the surface would apply to growing and/or possessing weed in a single state, but as I vaguely recall from college, the logic is that could affect interstate commerce anyway because it would potentially affect the market from other states, right?
Correct. Which is why the Commerce Clause also has been successfully invoked to permit the federal government to limit someone's ability to grow wheat for private consumption.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Hadn't realized Canada is legalizing, totally missed this.
Canada announces plans to legalize marijuana by July 2018 - The ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../cana ... juana-by-j...
OTTAWA — The Canadian government has introduced sweeping legislation designed to permit the recreational use of marijuana throughout the country by July ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... july-2018/
Do not tell U.S. border guards that you’ve smoked pot, despite what some say: lawyer
By Jon Azpiri Online News Producer Global News

A high-ranking Canadian politician has advised Canadians to be honest about their pot use when they show up at the U.S. border., even if that means being turned away. A U.S.-based immigration lawyer thinks that’s a terrible idea. In an interview with The West Block’s Vassy Kapelos, Mark Holland, parliamentary secretary to Canada’s minister of public safety, said Canadian officials have been in “close contact” with their American counterparts about the upcoming legalization of the drug north of the border.

“Remember that the United States has many states that have legalized marijuana, so they’re dealing with this in a domestic context as well,” Holland noted.

“Ultimately the decision that they make is their decision as a foreign jurisdiction … you always have to be honest and tell the truth at the border.”

Len Saunders, an immigration lawyer based out of Blaine, Wash., just over the border near White Rock, B.C., said he “couldn’t believe” Holland’s comments.

“I don’t think Mark Holland fully understood when he said his comments that when you admit to smoking marijuana at a U.S. port of entry, you’re not just going to be denied entry, but you’re going to be barred for life,” Saunders said.

“That lack of knowledge is dangerous when advising Canadians to admit to smoking marijuana at U.S. ports of entry.”

Saunders says a large part of his clientele consists of Canadians who have told border officials that they have used marijuana. His most famous client was snowboarder Ross Rebagliati, the 1998 Olympic gold medallist who has admitted to using marijuana. “Because of his admission almost 20 years ago, he needs a waiver,” he said. “He recently applied for it and received one but it costs hundreds of dollars in filing fees… I can’t understand why a Canadian government official would be encouraging Canadians down this path of waivers for life.”

Adult recreational marijuana use is legal in eight U.S. states, including Washington state. But pot is still illegal under federal law, which governs the border. Saunders is concerned that proposed plans to legalize marijuana in Canada could lull Canadians crossing the border into a false sense of security. “It’s still illegal federally [in the U.S.] and that’s what my big concern is,” he said. “People are going to see it’s legal in Canada, legal in Washington state, but that thin line… the U.S. border which separates the U.S and Canada, it’s still illegal. “For a Canadian officer to say to admit that you smoked it, you are basically being banned for life from crossing that thin border between the two countries.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/3768753/mari ... -saunders/

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017 ... ana-market

There's going to be the largest pot greenhouse in the world right near me. I'm a little disappointed that the greenhouse stopped growing eggplant for this though. I have a strange addiction to eggplant. :-D

Return to “Social Issues”