Emmett Till Sign Vandalism

RVInit

Emmett Till Sign Vandalism

Post by RVInit » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:22 am

I was really saddened by the story about the Emmett Till memorial sign being shot full of bullets. He is the young black man who was murdered because he allegedly had whistled at a white woman. Two white men were acquitted by an all white jury.

Here is a link to the Emmett Till Interpretive Center
http://www.emmett-till.org/

Here is just one of many stories about the vandalism. There are now about 50 bullets in the sign, which has been vandalized many times. The Emmett Till Interpretive Center is raising money to replace the sign. Unfortunately, I hope they wait a few months after Trump's defeat, otherwise I fear it will be full of thousands of bullet holes in the near future.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/emm ... d0b1563946

Please feel free to move this to a more appropriate place, I have never started a thread before.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Emmett Till Sign Vandalism

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:40 am

Those signs get shot up so much they are periodically replaced, but the Blues Trail and historical markers, including the official Emmett Till marker, are made from some kind of cast iron about an inch thick. The sign that got shot up is one the interpretive center people put up and it's metal like a stop sign. Around here, even in the middle of a residential area, there are few signs that aren't riddled with bullet holes.

BTW, it's Till, not Hill.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:45 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Those signs get shot up so much they are periodically replaced, but the Blues Trail and historical markers, including the official Emmett Till marker, are made from some kind of cast iron about an inch thick. The sign that got shot up is one the interpretive center people put up and it's metal like a stop sign. Around here, even in the middle of a residential area, there are few signs that aren't riddled with bullet holes.

BTW, it's Till, not Hill.
Sorry about the typo, I don't always catch them - thanks for pointing it out, I will edit it. Yes, it's in the news I guess because they are wanting to replace the sign, and probably because of Trump's incitement of racial divide. I do hope they replace the sign, they are trying to raise $15,000 - does it sound like they want a "bullet proof" sign?

I really hadn't ever heard before that the signs get shot up - it's disheartening.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:19 pm

RVInit wrote:I really hadn't ever heard before that the signs get shot up - it's disheartening.
I grew up in a college town in the 60's, the street signs for "High" street were regularly removed.

You go out in the country, signs are used for target practice quite regularly.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Not "removed," man. "Liberated." 8-)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

I can't find a better spot for this awfulness, but I won't mind if it's moved. :(

Guardian
Woman at center of Emmett Till case tells author she fabricated testimony

It was the lynching that outraged African Americans, spurred the civil rights movement and etched the victim’s name in history: Emmett Till.

The 14-year-old Chicagoan was visiting relatives in the cotton country of the Mississippi delta on 24 August 1955 when he allegedly wolf-whistled at a white woman.

Three days later his body was found in the Tallahatchie river. Till had a bullet hole in the head, an eye gouged out and other wounds. The murderers had wrapped barbed wire around his neck and weighted him down with a cotton gin fan.

It was a ghastly crime that changed the United States but the woman at the center of it, Carolyn Bryant, long remained an enigma.

A few weeks after the murder, the then 21-year-old testified in court that Till had grabbed and verbally harassed her in a grocery store. “I was just scared to death,” she said.

The all-white jury cleared her husband Roy Bryant and his half-brother JW Milam of the crime. They later publicly admitted their guilt, saying they wanted to warn other blacks. Carolyn Bryant disappeared from public view.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:00 am

The current issue of Vanity Fair has an excerpt from the book about how this woman was located and how she admitted she lied in court.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/ ... -till-case

and a reaction:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2957828

tencats

Post by tencats » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

US reopens investigation of Emmett Till slaying 63 years later
2 hours ago https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44811583
The US government has reopened an investigation into the 1955 murder of a black 14-year-old boy whose death galvanised the civil rights movement.
:snippity:
The DOJ investigation was announced to lawmakers on 26 March, but has come to light this week after a report by the Associated Press.

It is unclear what new information prompted the government to reopen the case, but a book published last year, The Blood of Emmett Till by Timothy B Tyson, had said Carolyn Donham, the white woman who testified against Till, admitted she lied about the teenager's actions in 1955 during a 2008 interview.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Are the murderers still alive ?

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

tencats

Post by tencats » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 pm
J.W. Milam aged 61 died of cancer of the bone on 30 Dec 1980.
Roy Bryant aged 63 died of cancer on 1 Sep 1994.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm

tencats wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm
I hope it was painful.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:07 am

tencats wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm
Thank you, cat.

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 am

I gotta admit that I wonder if any of the accomplices in the murder of Till are still alive. A little arithmetic indicates that the youngest of them (assuming teenage at the time) would now be in their late 70s or early 80s, arguably too frail or too far removed from the event to be able to help their lawyers mount a defense.

The FBI supposedly acted on this on the basis of a book published more than a year ago, which contained a recantation that the author had kept to himself for more than a decade.

Another example was. about 25 years ago, the FBI reopened the murder of Viola Liuzzo based on a supposed confession contained in a book published some 20 years after the event ... and which had been on the market (it was published by the John Birch Society!) for almost 20 years before the FBI acted on it.

I suppose we'll next have a re-investigation of the sinking of The Maine.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm

I don’t care how old they are. They stole 63 years of life from Till... they should die behind bars for it.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm
I don’t care how old they are. They stole 63 years of life from Till... they should die behind bars for it.
:thumbs:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm
:thumbs:
:like:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

tencats

Post by tencats » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 am

Emmett Till memorial is vandalized with bullets AGAIN - 35-days after the shot-up sign was replaced

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/0 ... /23497152/

vic

Post by vic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:02 am

tencats wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 am
Emmett Till memorial is vandalized with bullets AGAIN - 35-days after the shot-up sign was replaced

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/0 ... /23497152/

:snippity:
:explode:

Return to “Social Issues”