Latin American Child Refugees

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 am

mediate:

Fox & Friends Seemingly Rips Off Bioshock for Dumb Nativist Graphic

by Andrew Kirell | 10:50 pm, July 2nd, 2014

When I first saw this graphic being shared on Twitter Wednesday evening, it seemed too crude and goofy to be real:

Fox News graphic on the anti-immigrant protests pic.twitter.com/mmJG1coTvV

— allisonkilkenny (@allisonkilkenny) July 3, 2014But after some research using TVEyes, it turns out this nativist banner about “defending the homeland” is a real piece of Fox News graphics art. It’s been used exclusively by Fox & Friends for at least the past few days, as an introductory video (and lower-third chyron) for reports on the unfolding undocumented immigration crisis at the United States’ southwestern border.http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-con ... ppyfox.gif

Too many things to unpack here, but let’s try real quick:

1) Apparently people are defending the “homeland” using an iconic French-built statue that literally (it’s written on a bronze plaque) beckons the world’s poor, tired, and huddled masses to come on over to the U.S. of A.; ...See the rest here:

[/break1]mediaite.com/tv/fox-friends-seemingly-rips-off-bioshock-for-dumb-nativist-graphic/]http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-friends- ... t-graphic/

It's not surprising the hatred shown by those protesting the buses. It's shameful, but not surprising.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:36 am

The fucking nerve :evil:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 am

[link]Associated Press,http://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/articl ... ationworld[/link]

Feds booed in California after migrant standoff

MURRIETA, Calif. (AP) — An overflow crowd in a Southern California community where protesters turned back Homeland Security busloads of immigrants gave a harsh reception to federal officials behind the decision to bring them to their city in the first place.

Local politicians calling for secure borders proved far more popular with the crowd Wednesday night in Murrieta.

"Send them back! Send the back!" the special-meeting crowd chanted, shouting down Chief Border Patrol Agent Paul Beeson after he took responsibility for transferring the Central American children and families to Murrieta from Texas, where the numbers are too much for facilities to handle.

On Tuesday, the buses were rerouted an hour south to San Diego after they were met with flag-waving protesters in Murrieta.

¡Sterngard! come home.

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:35 am

Field Hearing: Crisis on the Texas Border: Surge of Unaccompanied Minors

South Texas College, Technology Campus, Building B Auditorium, Room 193 McAllen, Texas 78501 | [highlight]Jul 3, 2014 12:00pm[/highlight]

On Thursday, July 3, 2014, the Committee on Homeland Security will hold a field hearing entitled “Crisis on the Texas Border: Surge of Unaccompanied Minors.” The Committee will meet at 12:00 noon, local time, at the South Texas College, Technology Campus, Building B Auditorium, Room 193, 3700 W. Military Highway, McAllen, Texas 78501. Witnesses will be by invitation only.

Opening Statements

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX), Chairman

Witnesses

Panel I

The Honorable [highlight]Rick Perry[/highlight]

Governor

State of Texas

Panel II

Mr. Kevin W. Oaks

Chief Patrol Agent, Rio Grande Valley Sector

U.S. Border Patrol

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Mr. Steve C. McCraw

Director

Texas Department of Public Safety

Mr. J.E. "Eddie" Guerra

Interim Sheriff

Sheriff's Office

Hidalgo County, Texas

The Honorable Ramon Garcia

Hidalgo County Judge

Hidalgo County, Texas

Most Reverend Mark J. Seitz

Bishop

Catholic Diocese of El Paso, Texas

U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops[/break1]house.gov/hearing/field-hearing-crisis-Texas-border-surge-unaccompanied-minors]http://homeland.house.gov/hearing/field ... ied-minors

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:56 pm

John T Reed on his Facebook page, the kids are not innocent:"I keep hearing people on TV say we can all agree that the children coming across the border are innocent and must be taken care of. I DON'T agree with that. They are not innocent unless they are really young and do not understand it is illegal to enter the U.S. without permission. I am a former kid, father of three boys, and former coach of about 900 amateur athlete minors. If I were one of these kids and, say, older than about 6 or 7, I would understand that I was breaking the law and using my age as a pretext to get away with it. . The proper thing to do with these kids is to take them to a spot on the Mexican border where there is only a land border. Drive across and tell them to get out of the bus, then leave. Put guards on the border where you left them to prevent them from crossing again. . They did not come from Honduras or Costa Rica. They came from Mexico. Where they came from BEFORE they entered Mexico is Mexico’s problem. If Mexico thinks they are innocent and/or deserving of charity, they can give it to them. If Mexico thinks this is not a good idea, screw them. They thought it was a great idea when the kids were crossing their country or when their own citizens were going to the U.S. illegally. If we start dumping every one of them back into Mexico, I suspect Mexico will start dealing appropriately with the human traffic on their side of the border. I’m guessing that the Mexican government’s treatment of the would-be Obama voters will be such that the parents and kids of Honduras will remain there and make their country better rather than making ours worse. . It’s the Reverse Golden Rule, Do Unto Mexico as Mexico has Done Unto Us. O’Reilly wants a trade embargo. I oppose trade sanctions as violations of the right of all American to buy from whomever they want and to sell to whomever they want. But we could totally close the border with Mexico and direct the importers and exporters in each country to use airports and seaports henceforth. Those entry points are easier to control effectively. . If I may paraphrase Ronald Reagan, “Mr. Obama, if you seek justice, if you seek prosperity for America and Latin America, if you seek liberalization, come here to this border. Mr. Obama, close this gate. Mr. Obama, build up this wall!”.Obama now says openly what he has no doubt been saying privately for years, “So sue me.” I hope the American people who are watching these “Mariel Trainlift” ([/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift) juvenile delinquents come across our border on TV will do something faster than suing him. Vote against his party in November. And again in 2016. I suspect he may have calculated correctly that Republicans in Congress don’t have the votes to impeach him or even the guts to try, but I think he has misjudged how much he can get away with with the American TV viewer/voter."

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:55 am

John T Reed on his Facebook page, the kids are not innocent:"I keep hearing people on TV say we can all agree that the children coming across the border are innocent and must be taken care of. I DON'T agree with that. They are not innocent unless they are really young and do not understand it is illegal to enter the U.S. without permission. I am a former kid, father of three boys, and former coach of about 900 amateur athlete minors. If I were one of these kids and, say, older than about 6 or 7, I would understand that I was breaking the law and using my age as a pretext to get away with it. . The proper thing to do with these kids is to take them to a spot on the Mexican border where there is only a land border. Drive across and tell them to get out of the bus, then leave. Put guards on the border where you left them to prevent them from crossing again. . They did not come from Honduras or Costa Rica. They came from Mexico. Where they came from BEFORE they entered Mexico is Mexico’s problem. If Mexico thinks they are innocent and/or deserving of charity, they can give it to them. If Mexico thinks this is not a good idea, screw them. They thought it was a great idea when the kids were crossing their country or when their own citizens were going to the U.S. illegally. If we start dumping every one of them back into Mexico, I suspect Mexico will start dealing appropriately with the human traffic on their side of the border. I’m guessing that the Mexican government’s treatment of the would-be Obama voters will be such that the parents and kids of Honduras will remain there and make their country better rather than making ours worse. . It’s the Reverse Golden Rule, Do Unto Mexico as Mexico has Done Unto Us. O’Reilly wants a trade embargo. I oppose trade sanctions as violations of the right of all American to buy from whomever they want and to sell to whomever they want. But we could totally close the border with Mexico and direct the importers and exporters in each country to use airports and seaports henceforth. Those entry points are easier to control effectively. . If I may paraphrase Ronald Reagan, “Mr. Obama, if you seek justice, if you seek prosperity for America and Latin America, if you seek liberalization, come here to this border. Mr. Obama, close this gate. Mr. Obama, build up this wall!”.Obama now says openly what he has no doubt been saying privately for years, “So sue me.” I hope the American people who are watching these “Mariel Trainlift” ([/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift) juvenile delinquents come across our border on TV will do something faster than suing him. Vote against his party in November. And again in 2016. I suspect he may have calculated correctly that Republicans in Congress don’t have the votes to impeach him or even the guts to try, but I think he has misjudged how much he can get away with with the American TV viewer/voter."That right there is some scary shit.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:41 am

John T Reed on his Facebook page, the kids are not innocent:"I keep hearing people on TV say we can all agree that the children coming across the border are innocent and must be taken care of. I DON'T agree with that. They are not innocent unless they are really young and do not understand it is illegal to enter the U.S. without permission. I am a former kid, father of three boys, and former coach of about 900 amateur athlete minors. If I were one of these kids and, say, older than about 6 or 7, I would understand that I was breaking the law and using my age as a pretext to get away with it."Got link? Only if it's easy to get. I'm not sure I can read it anyway. But I was curious about any response to that.

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 pm

John T Reed on his Facebook page, the kids are not innocent:"I keep hearing people on TV say we can all agree that the children coming across the border are innocent and must be taken care of. I DON'T agree with that. They are not innocent unless they are really young and do not understand it is illegal to enter the U.S. without permission. I am a former kid, father of three boys, and former coach of about 900 amateur athlete minors. If I were one of these kids and, say, older than about 6 or 7, I would understand that I was breaking the law and using my age as a pretext to get away with it."Got link? Only if it's easy to get. I'm not sure I can read it anyway. But I was curious about any response to that.This might not work, but [/break1]facebook.com/johntreed.publishing?fref=ts]https://www.facebook.com/johntreed.publishing?fref=ts

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Reed's FB posts only get 10 to 14 likes. I get more when I post about what I had for dinner. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:27 pm

I didn't watch the video. I just saw this come down the twitter machine::Donald Douglas ‏@AmPowerBlog@ChuckCJohnson Heavy police presence at #Murrieta Border Patrol station. Peaceful patriots being arrested! [/break1]blogspot.com/2014/07/july-4th-protest-murrieta-patriots.html#.U7b-BzUisSQ.twitter]http://americanpowerblog.blogspot.com/2 ... SQ.twitter … @CFLancopI guess it's a 'Patriot' blog?[/break1]blogspot.com/2014/07/july-4th-protest-murrieta-patriots.html#.U7b-BzUisSQ.twitter]http://americanpowerblog.blogspot.com/2 ... SQ.twitterI might go to the twitter accounts later to see what happened. No time right now.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Protesters and counter protesters. One anti-immigration protester arrested for interfering with a police officer. [/break1]latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-protesters-murrieta-20140704-story.html]http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.htmlIn a shift from previous days, pro-immigrant supporters outnumbered anti-illegal immigration protesters on the dusty roads leading to the Murrieta Border Patrol facility Friday.With the steady beat of drums keeping time, dancers in indigenous garb chanted and held signs urging respect and dignity for immigrants. A crowd of roughly 80, down from the hundreds who had blocked buses on Tuesday, milled behind a police line under hot sun.Protester Elizabeth Thornton joined them to argue against the intolerance she says has defined the debate so far."I'm not a fan of ICE," she said. "But this is a necessary step for these people to be released. We're here to counter the overwhelming racism and xenophobia that we've seen here the last few days."[/break1]760kfmb.com/story/25941595/140-migrants-expected-in-san-diego-friday]http://www.760kfmb.com/story/25941595/1 ... ego-friday

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:06 am

John T Reed on his Facebook page, the kids are not innocent:..... It’s the Reverse Golden Rule, Do Unto Mexico as Mexico has Done Unto Us. O’Reilly wants a trade embargo. I oppose trade sanctions as violations of the right of all American to buy from whomever they want and to sell to whomever they want. [highlight]But we could totally close the border with Mexico and direct the importers and exporters in each country to use airports and seaports henceforth.[/highlight]Those entry points are easier to control effectively. ......"Hint: the illegals (of any age) are not using the regular border crossing. ](*,)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 am

John T Reed on his Facebook page, the kids are not innocent:..... It’s the Reverse Golden Rule, Do Unto Mexico as Mexico has Done Unto Us. O’Reilly wants a trade embargo. I oppose trade sanctions as violations of the right of all American to buy from whomever they want and to sell to whomever they want. [highlight]But we could totally close the border with Mexico and direct the importers and exporters in each country to use airports and seaports henceforth.[/highlight]Those entry points are easier to control effectively. ......"Hint: the illegals (of any age) are not using the regular border crossing. ](*,)Sure, disrupt trade with our third most important trading partner. Tip both countries into recession. Put millions of people out of work. Not that there is any chance of that happening. The government hasn't shown much interest in completing the border fence now that it is clear how much it will cost.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Copied over from another thread; footage from Pete Santilli's site.It's [link]rolling now,[/link] (edit: recorded 7/4 8PM). Looks like tens of people, though I don't know what's outside the frame. The guy on the audio tells the police he is askeered for his life. He almost died at Bundy Ranch. :roll:Update: Getting really threaty now with the cops. Saying he'd feel safer if the cops leave. Camera panned and maybe 30-40, to be generous.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:38 pm

[link]CBS News,http://www.cbsnews.com/news/murrieta-ca ... on-july-4/[/link]

Demonstrators rally in California city as immigration debate rages

MURRIETA, Calif. -- Demonstrators on both sides of the immigration debate gathered Friday outside a U.S. Border Patrol station in Southern California where the agency was foiled earlier this week in an attempt to bus in and process some of the immigrants who have flooded the Texas border with Mexico.

The crowd numbered about 120 early in the day - [highlight]about a third opposing illegal immigration and two thirds supporting immigrants[/highlight]. Shouting matches erupted but there was no violence. ...

Earlier this week, Murrieta became the latest flashpoint in the intensifying immigration debate when a crowd of protesters waving American flags blocked buses carrying women and children migrants who were flown from overwhelmed Texas facilities to be processed at the station about 55 miles north of downtown San Diego.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm

There's a [link]live stream now,http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thepetesantillishow[/link] someplace on the border. Lots of motorcycles. Hard to hear anything. Guy claims paid provocateurs bussed in yesterday in Murrieta. [highlight]Okay, this is the one from San Diego about saving the poor Marine, not about the kids.[/highlight]

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:29 pm

[link]Brownsville Herald,http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/v ... f6878.html[/link]

Militia group says it’s heading to help secure Texas border

An group that identifies itself as a coalition of “Patriots” has put out a call for people to go to the Texas-Mexico border and help with a citizen militia operation called “Secure our Border - Laredo.”

A spokeswoman for the group, Denice Freeman, said the operation is a call for civilian militia members — both armed and unarmed — to voluntarily guard private property in the Laredo area and other Texas locations where owners feel threatened by “drug cartels and from gangs, particularly the MS-13 gangs,” a Salvadoran-based gang that is considered among the most dangerous in this country by law enforcement.

Freeman said she expected militia members to become visible in border communities, including the Rio Grande Valley, in the coming weeks but she wanted to stress that the operation’s commander — Chris Davis — is warning members against using any violent means.

“This is not a ‘go-in-guns-blazing’ kind of thing,” Freeman said. “This will be handled with the utmost professionalism and security and safety for everyone involved.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:29 pm

I don't know how long this feed will last. LIVE NOW: Arrival of Immigrant Families in CA.[/break1]cbs8.com/story/10363609/cbs-news-live-feed]http://www.cbs8.com/story/10363609/cbs- ... eed[edit]3 buses arrive at San Ysidro[/edit]

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 pm

[link]Associated Press,http://www.salon.com/2014/07/07/ap_sour ... y_changes/[/link]

AP sources: Obama backs off border policy changes

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is holding off for now on seeking new legal authority to send unaccompanied migrant kids back home faster.

The approach is a change from what the White House has signaled and follows criticism from immigration advocates who said the administration’s planned approach was too harsh.

It was confirmed Monday by two congressional aides who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of a formal announcement. Obama intends to ask Congress on Tuesday for more than $2 billion in emergency spending to deal with the children who’ve been arriving by the thousands from Central America.

For now he will not ask Congress to change the law to allow him to send the kids back home faster. White House officials said they still want more authority to act more quickly.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 am

[link]Associated Press,http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html[/link]

Obama to hold border crisis meeting in Texas

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will discuss the crisis at the border with faith leaders and local officials in Texas Wednesday.

The meeting comes as Obama faces pressure to visit the border while he’s in Texas this week to raise money for Democratic congressional candidates. The White House has resisted the calls largely from Republicans to take a firsthand look at the tens of thousands of children arriving from Central America.

Among those calling for Obama to visit the border is Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry. Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett sent Perry a letter inviting him to Wednesday’s meeting in Dallas.

Obama has called the situation at the border a “humanitarian crisis.” The White House has warned that most of the children arriving at the border will not be allowed to stay in the U.S.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 am

[link]LA Times,http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topofthe ... story.html[/link]

Murrieta protesters oversimplify a complex immigration crisis ...

The real Obama, meanwhile, is a bit flummoxed as he tries to figure out what to do about this latest immigration quandry. The steady march of kids from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador appears to be inspired by a perception in those countries that children need only get across the border and they will be allowed to stay in the U.S. The Obama administration sent Vice President Joe Biden to Central America to tell everyone to stay home because that perception is false.

Except it isn’t, and that’s the real problem.

As the Los Angeles Times has reported, fewer than 4,000 unaccompanied children were apprehended annually by U.S. border agents through most of the last decade, but, in fiscal year 2012, the number jumped to 10,146. In fiscal year 2013, it shot up to 20,805 and from last October to this June 15th the total of Central Americans kids arriving without legal status hit 39,133.

So, what’s really going on? Apparently, it has a lot to do with a federal law passed on a voice vote in 2008 by big, bipartisan majorities in Congress and signed by President George W. Bush. The well-meaning act aimed to protect young victims of sex trafficking and slavery by establishing legal protections that would keep immigrant juveniles from being sent back into the clutches of pimps and drug gangs.

Now, though, smugglers who make a great deal of money moving children over the border appear to be coaching at least some of the kids to say the right things to officials so they can take advantage of the law’s protections. Many others have truly been victimized, of course. Sorting out whose story is real and whose is false is just one of the tasks facing asylum officers, immigration judges and prosecutors.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 am

[link]Center for American Progress,http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ ... he-border/[/link]: Statistical Analysis Shows that Violence, Not Deferred Action, Is Behind the Surge of Unaccompanied Children Crossing the Border

¡Sterngard! come home.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

I guess Ed Emmett isn't planning on running for re-election:

County judge decries ‘grandstanding’ on immigrant kids

by Doug Miller / KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on July 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM

HOUSTON -- As authorities checked out an old school building as a possible housing site, the head of Harris County’s government said he’s not concerned about the prospect of Central American refugee children seeking shelter here.

[highlight]“You know, to be blunt, you got some people grandstanding and wanting to say things pro or con,” said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. “But we have a crisis. And it has to be dealt with. And I think people ought to be looking for solutions of how to move forward and how to prevent it from happening in the future.”[/highlight]

Emmett said no one had contacted him about any specific plans to move some of the immigrant children to Harris County, but[highlight]he pointed out that the federal government wouldn’t have to ask the county’s permission.[/highlight]

His office has fielded phone calls from voters upset about the idea of housing the immigrant children here.

[highlight]“This is a humanitarian issue at the end of the day,” he said. “I mean, nobody wanted this circumstance to happen, but you’ve got to figure out what to do with it now that it’s here. And it’s like any other disaster or crisis: You deal with the problem before you start worrying about pointing fingers and trying to exacerbate the problem.[/highlight]”[/break1]khou.com/news/local/County-judge-decries-grandstanding-on-immigrant-kids-266321751.html]http://www.khou.com/news/local/County-j ... 21751.html

The County Judge here isn't really a "judge." The office is more like the Chief Executive of Harris County, which is huge, and the position is a very powerful one.

Rare is the Republican who views children as human these days. I am reminded of Chris Christie refusing to meet with some of the grieving parents of innocent young children who were gunned down in Newtown. Sure, he'd already vetoed a bill restricting the size of magazine clips, but even the appearance of listening to the victims is now politically verboten in today's GOP. Then Christie had the unmitigated gall to use a reductio ad absurdum argument that these people want to get the magazine size down to zero, and the noble Christie is concerned that the lives of the first ten victims would be devalued if he didn't allow huge magazines. I think maybe I need to start a "War on Children" thread.

The current immigration crisis is, indeed, complex. I can see both sides of the issue (unlike the Teabaggers in Murietta, whose ugly behavior literally turned my stomach). Once again, I will lay blame at the feet of the House GOP, who refused to engage in any discussion or action on comprehensive immigration reform. They are happy for any crisis to arise, so they can blame the President.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 am

New York Times July 10, 2014 [link]"Fleeing Gangs, Children Head to U.S. Border",http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/world ... d=63933499[/link]SAN PEDRO SULA, Honduras — Anthony O. Castellanos disappeared from his gang-ridden neighborhood on the eastern edge of Honduras’s most dangerous city, so his younger brother, Kenneth, hopped on his green bicycle to search for him, starting his hunt at a notorious gang hangout known as the “crazy house.”They were found within days of each other, both dead. Anthony, 13, and a friend had been shot in the head; Kenneth, 7, had been tortured and beaten with sticks and rocks. They were among seven children murdered in the La Pradera neighborhood of San Pedro Sula in April alone, part of a surge in gang violence that is claiming younger and younger victims.The killing of children is a major factor driving kids to try to make it to safety inside the U.S.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 am

Brave new world. :cry:

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief.
And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large. :mrgreen:

Return to “Social Issues”