Child Abuse and Abductions

AndyinPA

Re: Child Abuse and Abductions

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 am

For some reason, I see this as a sad end to the cardinal's career as I used to once think so much of him, but the operative word there is "once."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pope ... e-cover-up
Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl after he became entangled in two major sexual abuse and cover-up scandals and lost the support of many in his flock.

Wuerl, who turns 78 in November, becomes the most prominent head to roll in the scandal roiling the Catholic Church after his predecessor as Washington archbishop, Theodore McCarrick, was forced to resign as cardinal over allegations he sexually abused at least two minors and adult seminarians.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am

When will they learn?

Failings are forgivable. Coverups aren't.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 am

Ok, apparently it does not matter if I hold my peace on this or not on this as I am a shithead regardless, so here goes.

Frankly I don;t have much comment on this at all, as I actually don't know much about what's going on here not am I familiar with the archbiship or the Cardinal involved.. The one line that leaped out at me on reading the daily beast article was this
In one case cited in the report, Wuerl – acting on a doctor’s recommendation – enabled priest William O’Malley to return to active ministry as a canonical consultant...
And that is an aspect of all this that has been given very very little comment at all, though it has been mentioned as a factor in report after report. Basically what happened is that these guys would be put into a rehabilitation program, and after a few years the Doctors would certify them as Cured. So if someone is cured and the experts are saying that they are no longer a threat to children, why not put them onto a separate parish? Inds not like priests grew on trees even in the good times. And of course by the time new complaints would start arriving the Bishop would have moved on and the new guy would put them in for treatment and the cycle would continue anew. So why haven't the doctors that gave these diagnoses have had any blame attached to them? After all the Bishops were acting on their recommendation.

Now on McCerrik, all I will say on that is that I was listening to France News 24 a couple of nights ago while I was reading at the computer, and then they said "abused minors in the Seminary" and that make be stare open mouthed at the TV, as if people are in the Seminary that are not freaking Minors. Granted consensual gay sex in this situation raises huge questions of power relationships and so on, but its not freaking child abuse. But even France News 24, which I usually have the highest of regard for just wants to make this 100% about Child abuse. Gaah.

Rereading the Daily beast article just now I saw that there were also 2 minors that were abused, so fair enough, but that was not made clear by the international news agency, which is a bare faced lie as far as I am concerned.

Ok, comment over. I am however reminded of the Bishop of Limerick that was forced to resign despite the fact that child protection agencies were united in giving him their unqualified support. Because as an underbishop (a glorified secretary) he had just refereed any complaints to the bishop proper rather than doing "something" which was left vague, but apparently he was supposed to do stuff he didn't have the authority to do. But even the support of people in Child care, who said that his removal was a bad day for child protection in Ireland, was not enough to save him. Not saying this guy is on this level, but it does femind me of that.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm

This is getting hotter again. The US Attorney responsible for the PA Diocese investigation has issued a "letter" to the rest of the US Diocesan Bishops telling them to "NOT DESTROY" and retain any records pertaining to clerical abuse in their possession. They are not saying that they will be required to turn anything over YET.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm
This is getting hotter again. The US Attorney responsible for the PA Diocese investigation has issued a "letter" to the rest of the US Diocesan Bishops telling them to "NOT DESTROY" and retain any records pertaining to clerical abuse in their possession. They are not saying that they will be required to turn anything over YET.
Well, ya. A large number of these files will be 30 years old or over, which is past the mandatory document retention time. So instructing them to retain those files is a sensible precaution.

Okay, I've been avoiding doing this as it means I have to type this out by hand, as its in the print edition of Private Eye and there is no online edition, but a couple of weeks ago I saw this and I felt I should share. So, as I am posting anyway, I might as well get this typed out. *Cracks knuckles*

From Private eye number 1480. 5th Oct to 18th Oct.
Betrayal by Instagram

A staggering £3.2m in compensation has been paid to more than 350 former residents who were subject to sexual abuse while in the "care" of the Lambeth council-run Shirley Oaks children's home - far exceeding the £1.8m paid to the 78 victims of Jimmy Saville.

The payments cover only a fraction of the children who were either placed in harm's way or abused. According to the Shirley Oaks Survivors Association (Sosa), more than 1000 victims have so far come forward from around the world, with more to come (eyes passim).

In order to process the high volume of claims Lambeth, despite having initially said it would do the work in-house, outsourced parts of the verification process to agency staff recruited through paralegal company Law Absolute and another contractor, Legastat.

SOSA has been told by at least 2 whistle-blowers employed to process compensation claims that some cases are being dealt with in an insensitive manner. The quality of verification by Legastat was so poor that much of it had to be undertaken a second time by staff working within Lambeth's in-house compensation redress team.

There have been claims that some of those tasked with verifying highly sensitive information spend too much time onm their smartphones, taking photos and posting them on Snapchat and Instagram - in some case swith the names, addresses and details of claimants visible on computer screens. Three workers have been sacked for posting on instagram, but this represents a fraction of the problems that whistleblowers, all of whom had to sign non disclosure agreements allege.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Return to “Social Issues”