Child Abuse and Abductions

AndyinPA

Re: Child Abuse and Abductions

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 am

For some reason, I see this as a sad end to the cardinal's career as I used to once think so much of him, but the operative word there is "once."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pope ... e-cover-up
Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl after he became entangled in two major sexual abuse and cover-up scandals and lost the support of many in his flock.

Wuerl, who turns 78 in November, becomes the most prominent head to roll in the scandal roiling the Catholic Church after his predecessor as Washington archbishop, Theodore McCarrick, was forced to resign as cardinal over allegations he sexually abused at least two minors and adult seminarians.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am

When will they learn?

Failings are forgivable. Coverups aren't.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 am

Ok, apparently it does not matter if I hold my peace on this or not on this as I am a shithead regardless, so here goes.

Frankly I don;t have much comment on this at all, as I actually don't know much about what's going on here not am I familiar with the archbiship or the Cardinal involved.. The one line that leaped out at me on reading the daily beast article was this
In one case cited in the report, Wuerl – acting on a doctor’s recommendation – enabled priest William O’Malley to return to active ministry as a canonical consultant...
And that is an aspect of all this that has been given very very little comment at all, though it has been mentioned as a factor in report after report. Basically what happened is that these guys would be put into a rehabilitation program, and after a few years the Doctors would certify them as Cured. So if someone is cured and the experts are saying that they are no longer a threat to children, why not put them onto a separate parish? Inds not like priests grew on trees even in the good times. And of course by the time new complaints would start arriving the Bishop would have moved on and the new guy would put them in for treatment and the cycle would continue anew. So why haven't the doctors that gave these diagnoses have had any blame attached to them? After all the Bishops were acting on their recommendation.

Now on McCerrik, all I will say on that is that I was listening to France News 24 a couple of nights ago while I was reading at the computer, and then they said "abused minors in the Seminary" and that make be stare open mouthed at the TV, as if people are in the Seminary that are not freaking Minors. Granted consensual gay sex in this situation raises huge questions of power relationships and so on, but its not freaking child abuse. But even France News 24, which I usually have the highest of regard for just wants to make this 100% about Child abuse. Gaah.

Rereading the Daily beast article just now I saw that there were also 2 minors that were abused, so fair enough, but that was not made clear by the international news agency, which is a bare faced lie as far as I am concerned.

Ok, comment over. I am however reminded of the Bishop of Limerick that was forced to resign despite the fact that child protection agencies were united in giving him their unqualified support. Because as an underbishop (a glorified secretary) he had just refereed any complaints to the bishop proper rather than doing "something" which was left vague, but apparently he was supposed to do stuff he didn't have the authority to do. But even the support of people in Child care, who said that his removal was a bad day for child protection in Ireland, was not enough to save him. Not saying this guy is on this level, but it does femind me of that.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm

This is getting hotter again. The US Attorney responsible for the PA Diocese investigation has issued a "letter" to the rest of the US Diocesan Bishops telling them to "NOT DESTROY" and retain any records pertaining to clerical abuse in their possession. They are not saying that they will be required to turn anything over YET.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm
This is getting hotter again. The US Attorney responsible for the PA Diocese investigation has issued a "letter" to the rest of the US Diocesan Bishops telling them to "NOT DESTROY" and retain any records pertaining to clerical abuse in their possession. They are not saying that they will be required to turn anything over YET.
Well, ya. A large number of these files will be 30 years old or over, which is past the mandatory document retention time. So instructing them to retain those files is a sensible precaution.

Okay, I've been avoiding doing this as it means I have to type this out by hand, as its in the print edition of Private Eye and there is no online edition, but a couple of weeks ago I saw this and I felt I should share. So, as I am posting anyway, I might as well get this typed out. *Cracks knuckles*

From Private eye number 1480. 5th Oct to 18th Oct.
Betrayal by Instagram

A staggering £3.2m in compensation has been paid to more than 350 former residents who were subject to sexual abuse while in the "care" of the Lambeth council-run Shirley Oaks children's home - far exceeding the £1.8m paid to the 78 victims of Jimmy Saville.

The payments cover only a fraction of the children who were either placed in harm's way or abused. According to the Shirley Oaks Survivors Association (Sosa), more than 1000 victims have so far come forward from around the world, with more to come (eyes passim).

In order to process the high volume of claims Lambeth, despite having initially said it would do the work in-house, outsourced parts of the verification process to agency staff recruited through paralegal company Law Absolute and another contractor, Legastat.

SOSA has been told by at least 2 whistle-blowers employed to process compensation claims that some cases are being dealt with in an insensitive manner. The quality of verification by Legastat was so poor that much of it had to be undertaken a second time by staff working within Lambeth's in-house compensation redress team.

There have been claims that some of those tasked with verifying highly sensitive information spend too much time onm their smartphones, taking photos and posting them on Snapchat and Instagram - in some case swith the names, addresses and details of claimants visible on computer screens. Three workers have been sacked for posting on instagram, but this represents a fraction of the problems that whistleblowers, all of whom had to sign non disclosure agreements allege.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Priest abuse report tells of devastating, decades-long trail of sexual abuse by Texas clergy

St. John Barned-Smith Jan. 31, 2019 Updated: Jan. 31, 2019 9:50 p.m.

Catholic dioceses across Texas on Thursday identified nearly 300 priests “credibly accused” of sexually abusing untold numbers of children over the last 80 years, a long-anticipated revelation that survivors said failed to capture the full scope of clergy abuse within the church.

The disclosure — a coordinated release by the Catholic dioceses in Texas — is one of the largest since an investigation last year by a Pennsylvania grand jury identified more than 300 priests who abused more than 1,000 children. Advocates for abuse victims said they believed the numbers released Thursday were a fraction of the total number of abusive priests in Texas.

The reports lay out a devastating, decades-long trail of sexual abuse with allegations of predatory grooming, sexual assault and rape — and a lack of response by church leaders when the victims spoke up. Many of the priests moved from church to church and diocese to diocese before they were finally defrocked.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 579294.php

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 am

Houston Chronicle

Verified account

@HoustonChron
Feb 7
More
As Southern Baptist leaders reject reforms, sexual abuse continues to spread. Read part 1 of "Abuse of Faith," our exclusive investigative series launching Sunday, Feb. 10: http://houstonchronicle.com/AbuseOfFaith
Houston Chronicle Retweeted

Robert Downen

@RobDownenChron
3h3 hours ago
More
Since 1998:

-700+ victims

-380 #SBC church leaders/volunteers accused of sexual crimes/misconduct

-Hundreds of convictions/plea deals

-Dozens of pending cases

-Almost no reforms

#SBCtoo #churchtoo #MeToo
Robert Downen

@RobDownenChron
1h1 hour ago
More
Southern Baptist leaders have long declined to track sexual abuses and predators who worked in affiliated churches.

So we started doing it for them.

Search our database, which includes prison records and news stories for hundreds. #SBCtoo #churchtoo
https://t.co/J3j0zr2zpM
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:16 am

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
2h2 hours ago
More
Ungodly abuse: US missionaries were accused of sexually abusing children overseas. They returned home without consequences.
https://t.co/J9fU4uZ884

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:52 am

Mark Medici

@Medici1
Follow Follow @Medici1
More
This mornings #houstonchronicle front page. A stunning ⁦@HoustonChron⁩ investigation uncovers a gross abuse of power in the Houston Baptist Church where hundreds of victims were knowingly preyed upon.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

For the For the 3rd time in four days the Houston Chronicle's main headline is about sexual abuse by Southern Baptist Church leaders.

https://www.chron.com/news/investigatio ... 611623.php

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 607729.php

The main articles are behind paywalls. The above links are to articles about the articles.

I fear that the problem is even more widespread than these articles indicate since the articles talk about people who have been convicted or at least charged. There are possibly many abusers out there that haven't been caught. :madguy:

Individual Baptist Churches hire their own pastors so there isn't much that the national SBC organization can do.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm
For the For the 3rd time in four days the Houston Chronicle's main headline is about sexual abuse by Southern Baptist Church leaders.

https://www.chron.com/news/investigatio ... 611623.php

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 607729.php

The main articles are behind paywalls. The above links are to articles about the articles.

I fear that the problem is even more widespread than these articles indicate since the articles talk about people who have been convicted or at least charged. There are possibly many abusers out there that haven't been caught. :madguy:

Individual Baptist Churches hire their own pastors so there isn't much that the national SBC organization can do.
That's not exactly true. The Southern Baptist Convention has no problem drop-kicking any church that calls (hires) a pastor who is a woman or LGBTQ person. It's done so fast your head will spin. On the other hand, they've known for well over a decade that they have a problem with child sexual abuse, but won't do anything.

It took the Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News to bring this to light. However, it appears that even that has been downplayed. The case of John Langworthy at Prestonwood Church in Dallas is curiously sparse, as if someone got to the newspapers.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:17 pm

from Australia
Former students of Burnie's Marist College come forward after conviction of paedophile priest
By Henry Zwartz

The conviction of a paedophile priest has opened old wounds in a region coming to terms with its dark history of sexual abuse.
Key points:
Since the conviction of Thomas Fulcher for sexually abusing two boys at Burnie's Marist College in the 1960s, multiple former students have come forward alleging they too were abused
Some students have also alleged the school's former principal, who died in 1987, abused them
In total, five staff associated with the school have been convicted of sex offences
In December 2018, Thomas Fulcher was sentenced to four years' prison, two without parole, after pleading guilty to sexually abusing two boys at Burnie's Marist College, in north-west Tasmania, between 1964 and 1967.

Fulcher was the fifth staff member associated with Marist College, now the Marist Regional College, to have been convicted of sex offences.

Now, multiple former students have come forward alleging they too were abused by Fulcher, including former state Greens MP Paul O'Halloran and his brother Stephen.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-14/ ... n/10800800

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:04 pm

The New York Times

Verified account

@nytimes
4m4 minutes ago
More
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn — which includes Brooklyn and Queens — has released a list of more than 100 priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing a child
https://t.co/uz9kFcY2rP

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:52 pm

US ex-cardinal Theodore McCarrick defrocked over abuse claims

A former Roman Catholic cardinal has been defrocked after historical sexual abuse allegations.

Theodore McCarrick is the most senior Catholic figure to be dismissed from the priesthood in modern times.

US Church officials said allegations he had sexually assaulted a teenager five decades ago were credible.

Mr McCarrick, 88, had previously resigned but said he had "no recollection" of the alleged abuse.

"No bishop, no matter how influential, is above the law of the Church," Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said in a statement.

"For all those McCarrick abused, I pray this judgment will be one small step, among many, toward healing."

The alleged abuses may have taken place too long ago for criminal charges to be filed because of the statute of limitations.

Mr McCarrick was the archbishop of Washington DC from 2001 to 2006. Since his resignation last year from the College of Cardinals, he has been living in seclusion in a monastery in Kansas.

He was the first person to resign as a cardinal since 1927.

He is among hundreds of members of the clergy accused of sexually abusing children over several decades and his dismissal comes days before the Vatican hosts a summit on preventing child abuse.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47264130

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:59 pm

from last year:
Pope defrocks two Chilean bishops over child abuse claims
13 October 2018

Pope Francis has stripped two Chilean bishops of their duties as priests amid claims that they are linked to the sexual abuse of minors.

They are Francisco José Cox Huneeus, archbishop emeritus of La Serena, and Marco Antonio Órdenes Fernández, archbishop emeritus of Iquique.

The Vatican issued a statement on their defrocking after a meeting between the pontiff and the president of Chile.

The decision could not be appealed against, it said on Saturday.

It was announced as Pope Francis met Chile's President Sebastian Piñera in the Vatican, where the two spoke particularly about "the painful scourge of abuse of minors".

More than 100 Catholic clergy are being investigated in Chile over alleged sex crimes and attempts to cover them up.

All 34 of Chile's bishops offered their resignations to the Pope in May over the scandal. The pontiff accepted three resignations in June.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45850354

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Vatican reveals it has secret rules for priests who father children
Spokesman says guidelines for those who break celibacy vows will not be made public

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... 1550585463
The document requests that a cleric who has fathered a child leaves the priesthood to “assume his responsibilities as a parent by devoting himself exclusively to the child”. Gisotti told CBS News that the document was “for internal use … and is not intended for publication”.

Survivors of clerical sexual abuse from around the world are gathering in Rome this week to hold vigils and protests outside an unprecedented summit of senior bishops and other church figures called by Pope Francis.

The number of children born to priests is unknown although one support group, Coping International, has 50,000 users in 175 countries. Some children are the result of consensual relationships, but others are the result of rape or abuse.

According to Vincent Doyle, the son of a priest and the founder of Coping International, the issue of clerical offspring is “the next scandal” to confront the church. “There are kids everywhere,” he told the New York Times.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Southern Baptist president says database of sexual abusers possible
Two Texas newspapers published an investigation last week that detailed hundreds of cases of abuse in the denomination's churches

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/religion/s ... d_nn_tw_ma
But on Monday, Greear said Southern Baptists needed to "repent of appealing to autonomy as a cover-up for lack of accountability."

He said the advisory group was studying the possibility of a database but that the subject is complicated.

"Just because we are not announcing any plans regarding a database tonight does not mean that we are not doing everything we can to evaluate it as an option," he said.

Greear also said the denomination should kick out churches that show "wanton disregard for sexual abuse and for caring for the survivors" and suggested an investigation of 10 churches that have been identified in media reports as covering up abuse.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm

julieturkewitz

Verified account

@julieturkewitz
1h1 hour ago
More
Colorado’s Catholic churches will open records to independent investigator in effort to account for alleged sex abuse https://coloradosun.com/2019/02/19/colo ... stigation/ … via @coloradosun
It is like a dam has broken.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Roughly 15 girls report being inappropriately touched as part of 'game' in Wyoming schools

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state- ... user-share
"Fairly confident that I can say that all the (Casper middle and high) schools have been affected by it, to one degree or another," Casper Police Sgt. Scott Jones said.

Jones said the "game" involves males singling out female students and daring each other to touch the girls in their "intimate" areas. He said the behavior happened in schools and involved victims as young as sixth-graders up through seniors in high school. He said some students had come forward and said they had been victimized months ago, before the recent uptick in reports. He said some of the alleged perpetrators had victimized multiple female students and that the numbers were higher than what authorities knew.

"The number I'm giving you is just what’s been reported to us," Jones said. "We know there’s incidents that occurred that have not gone reported."

He said it was unclear where the pattern of sexual battery began. Some victims don't want to prosecute, he said, but "many" do. He said that as far as authorities knew, the victims were entirely female and the perpetrators entirely male. But Jones said he wasn't ruling anything out.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Half of the churches targeted for scrutiny by SBC leader J.D. Greear are in Texas — and all of those employed pastors or volunteers who were accused of committing sexual abuse.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 am

George Pell: cardinal found guilty of child sexual assault
Vatican treasurer, the third most senior Catholic in the world, convicted on five charges in Australian court case

Melissa Davey
Tue 26 Feb 2019 03.41 GMT First published on Mon 25 Feb 2019 23.58 GMT

Cardinal George Pell, once the third most powerful man in the Vatican and Australia’s most senior Catholic, has been found guilty of child sexual abuse after a trial in Melbourne.

A jury delivered the unanimous verdict on 11 December in Melbourne’s county court, but the result was subject to a suppression order and could not be reported until now.

A previous trial on the same five charges, which began in August, resulted in a hung jury, leading to a retrial.

Pell, who is on leave from his role in Rome as Vatican treasurer, was found guilty of sexually penetrating a child under the age of 16 as well as four charges of an indecent act with a child under the age of 16. The offences occurred in December 1996 and early 1997 at St Patrick’s Cathedral, months after Pell was inaugurated as archbishop of Melbourne.

He is due to be sentenced next week but may be taken into custody at a plea hearing on Wednesday, having been out on bail since the verdict and recovering from knee surgery.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... al-assault

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Caitlin Owens

Verified account

@caitlinnowens
2h2 hours ago
More
NEWS: Thousands of allegations of sexual abuse against unaccompanied minors in the custody of the U.S. government have been reported over the past 4 years, including allegations of staff-on-minor abuse.
https://t.co/5f4XZCwc6c

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm

France
French cardinal found guilty of covering up sexual abuse
Philippe Barbarin handed six-month suspended sentence after surprise verdict

Harriet Sherwood Religion correspondent
Thu 7 Mar 2019 09.29 GMT Last modified on Thu 7 Mar 2019 18.11 GMT

A French archbishop has been found guilty of covering up child sexual abuse by a priest in his diocese in yet another crushing blow to the Catholic church’s credibility on the most damaging issue it has faced in recent history.

Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, the archbishop of Lyon, was given a six-month suspended prison sentence on Thursday for failing to report to the authorities accusations made against the priest.

Barbarin said he would submit his resignation to the pope within the next few days.

“The responsibility and guilt of the cardinal have been confirmed by this judgment. It’s an extraordinary symbol, a moment of huge emotion,” a lawyer for the victims, Yves Sauvayre, said after the verdict.

François Devaux, who leads a victims’ group in Lyon, said Barbarin’s conviction was a “major victory for child protection”. He added: “We see that no one is above the law. We have been heard by the court. This is the end of a long path.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... llegations

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm

KFIAM640
Pedophile Faints in Court as Judge Announces 260 Year Prison Sentence

A Rhode Island man fainted after hearing his sentence of 260 years behind bars. However, it is exactly what he deserved.

Thomas Goodman, 45, is accused of molesting several 6-year-old victims for six years. He also filmed himself sexually abusing an infant girl starting when she was just 3 weeks old until she was 18 months, according to the New York Post. Goodman even posted some of the disturbing footage online.

Goodman stayed passed out on the table for a few minutes until he awoke to the judge explaining the reasoning for the high sentence that will ensure the sick pedophile will never abuse a child again.

His sentencing was 160 years more than prosecutors had initially sought. Thirty years each for eight counts of sexually exploiting children and 20 years for one count of possessing sadistic and masochistic child pornography, all to be served consecutively, the Providence Journal reports.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Diocese of Des Moines to name 9 credibly accused priests Thursday
The Diocese of Des Moines, in a letter to parishioners Wednesday, said it would release the names of nine priests accused of sexually abusing children while serving the diocese.

All but two of the names have previously been shared publicly, the letter said. The abuse by the nine priests occurred between the 1950s and the 1990s, Pates wrote.

"I share the anger and frustration of recent reports of clerical abuse of minors and young people," Pates wrote in the letter dated April 3. "It is my sincere hope the release of this list facilitates healing, encourages additional victims who have faced abuse to come forward and begins to restore trust."

The Diocese of Sioux City in February publicly named 28 credibly accused priests. The lists follow an international reckoning on sex abuse by Roman Catholic clergy.
I've heard this bull before.

Return to “Social Issues”