Child Abuse and Abductions

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No Pikila asked for a thread like this to be started in the Hijack thread, so I thought I'd oblige.Sorry to ask for the start of such a negative thread, but could the mods start one called "Child Abuse & Abductions"? I'm too busy & too computerly illiterate to figure this out. My job requires me to deal with this really sad issue now & then, & FBers helped me when I asked for support before I testified in a trial. Tonight I saw a Hawaii Five O episode that alluded to the kidnapping of a 7 year old girl back in 1985. Maile Gilbert. Her Dad is a biker & his friends support him when there are cases of child abduction. I am in awe of any parent who can survive such an experience & can move on.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

And right after that episode aired, this story came up on the news:

Escaping captors after 10 years, [/break1]yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/escaped-cleveland-woman-amanda-berry-real-hero-kidnapping-141444873.html]Amanda Berry ‘real hero’ in kidnapping case, police say

mimi

Post by mimi »

I haven't read much about the Ohio case today. I have did see this interview with the neighbor though. Published on May 6, 2013CLEVELAND - After going missing more than 10 years ago, Amanda Berry shouted to a man from a Seymour Avenue house on Monday.Charles Ramsey and Angel Cordero broke down the door and freed Berry, who was 16 when she disappeared in 2003. Cordero told NewsChannel5's Stephanie Ramirez that he recognized Berry from posters and that she was with a 4 or 5-year-old child.Other victims Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus.heh.That YouTube channel is filled with news of the event. The entire police press conference, news reports, etc.[/break1]youtube.com/user/WEWSTV]http://www.youtube.com/user/WEWSTVI only saw a few articles last night and haven't kept up with this story.

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia »

Thank you Suranis & I am sorry to start such a sad discussion but protecting our children needs to be at the top of the issues society addresses. "It takes a village" is a phrase I embrace. What a blessing to hear how Amanda Berry was such a hero & will put those sick f***s who abused them in jail. I saw Jaycee Dugard's statement on this & she is another person who amazes me. Aren't human beings just so interesting, in our different abilities to deal with things? Some folks just wilt with minor stressors & others survive & thrive after enduring nightmares. I'm somewhere in the middle because I wilt too but I'm glad that I know how & when to get help. We need to help the wilters & emulate the survivors. We are lucky in Hawaii that we don't have many cases like this. It's just a guess but I think that all of us here know our neighbors better because of the weather. People don't have to stay huddled in their homes for months & weird goings on in neighborhoods might get noticed more? FYI to the FBers who helped me via PMs with that child abuse trial, I recently learned that the perpetrator is still in jail. The kids are doing well. Here is a beautiful tribute to Maile Gilbert, who was just a few months older than my daughter: [/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=9fzqS5Vhlu4]
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

mimi

Post by mimi »

Idunno. That guy in the interview talked about how he used to barbeque with the guy.Didja see how close together those houses are?I have no idea how he hid them. I haven't read anything about it today.

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

Suspect's son wrote article about missing Ohio teen

The case of the three Cleveland women freed from a home years after they went missing took another strange turn with news that the son of one of the men arrested had written a news article about one of the women years ago.Anthony Castro said he was a journalism student at Bowling Green State University when he wrote the article for the Plain Press in Cleveland. Chuck Hoven, editor of the Plain Press, now and at that time, confirmed that Castro was a college student, writing the story on a class assignment.

The younger Castro even interviewed DeJesus's mother, Nancy Ruiz, who talked about how things had changed in her neighborhood since her daughter went missing.[/break1]usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/castro-son-berry-dejesus/2140721/]http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2140721/
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Addie

Post by Addie »

Lots of info here: Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight megablog: Ongoing updates

[/break1]cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/amanda_berry_gina_dejesus_mich.html#incart_maj-story-1]http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... aj-story-1

I haven't read much about the Ohio case today.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]Plain Dealer,http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... level.html[/link]

Ariel Castro, suspect in Cleveland missing women case, had been accused of attacking his former wife

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Before Ariel Castro was accused of holding three women captive for at least a decade, he was accused of attacking his former wife, Grimilda Figueroa.

Figueroa suffered two broken noses, broken ribs, a knocked-out tooth, a blood clot on the brain and two dislocated shoulders, according to a 2005 filing in Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court. Her attorney requested that a judge “keep [Castro] from threatening to kill [Figueroa].’’

Attorney Robert Ferreri said Figueroa “has full custody with no visitation for [Castro]. Nevertheless, [Castro] frequently abducts daughters and keeps them from mother.’’ :-k
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

Suspect's daughter said in 2004 she was the last to see Gina DeJesus

The daughter of kidnapping suspect Ariel Castro told America's Most Wanted in 2004 that she was the last person to see Gina DeJesus alive.

Arlene Castro was a friend and classmate of Gina DeJesus at Wilbur Wright Middle School in Cleveland. She told the show -- which profiles missing-persons cases to draw attention to them -- that she was walking with DeJesus and borrowed 50 cents from the then-14-year-old to call her mother to ask if the two could hang out at Gina's.

When her mother said no, Castro said they parted ways.

According to past media reports, police dogs tracked DeJesus' scent to the payphone Castro said she used.[/break1]cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/suspects_daughter_said_in_2004.html]http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... _2004.html
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Addie

Post by Addie »

My video-posting skills seem to have taken a powder. I don't know what happened.

[link]CNN,http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/ ... sive-invu/[/link]

TRANSCRIPT & VIDEO – Charles Ramsey @AC360 EXCLUSIVE invu

Tonight on AC360°, Charles Ramsey – the man who freed Amanda Berry, Georgina DeJesus and Michele Knight, spoke with Anderson Cooper.

Ramsey tells Cooper that his neighbor of about a year was “cool, he was no freak of nature” but yesterday he heard a girl scream “like a car had hit her kid.” Amanda Berry told him “I’ve been trapped in here and he won’t let me out. It’s me and my baby.” Berry, he tells Cooper "was well-groomed. She didn't look like she was kidnapped… That's what threw me off."

Ramsey says he doesn’t feel like a hero, and when asked about a rumored reward, he shows Cooper his paycheck and says “give it to them (the girls).”

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]USA Today,http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2143885/[/link]

3 Cleveland women were bound in chains, ropes

CLEVELAND -- The three women held for nearly a decade in a residential house were bound with chains and ropes during their ordeal and allowed outside "very rarely," the police chief said Wednesday.

Police Chief Michael McGrath told NBC's Today show that the three victims, who were rescued Monday, had been "bound and there were chains and ropes in the hall."

Police spokesman Sammy Morris also confirmed that the restraints were among evidence collected by law enforcement officials who've been combing through the house.

Investigators have delayed intense questioning of of the victims -- Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight -- until they get acclimated to their families and freedom, but details of the horrendous conditions have begun to surface since their rescue. ...

Police Chief McGrath indicated that the three would be officially charged on Wednesday.

Emma

Post by Emma »

Cleveland’s city prosecutor, Victor Perez, announced Wednesday afternoon that he will charge Ariel Castro, 52, with four counts of kidnapping (including Berry’s daughter) and three counts of rape. His brothers, Onil, 50, and Pedro, 54, who were also taken into custody in connection with the case will not be charged. Authorities said there is no evidence they were involved.[/break1]msnbc.com/2013/05/08/finally-home-cleveland-victims-free-as-investigation-continues/]http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/05/08/finally- ... continues/

That's it ??

He stole a decade of their lives --- and all of the child's life so far. He tortured them and raped them repeatedly over the course of that decade. And that's all they can find to charge him? WTH?

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

My guess is if he is found guilty and his sentences run consecutively he won't live long enough to completely serve them. I'll be fine with that.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

He stole a decade of their lives --- and all of the child's life so far. He tortured them and raped them repeatedly over the course of that decade. And that's all they can find to charge him? WTH?

They need enough to hold him. I'd expect more charges by the time it goes to court.

Emma

Post by Emma »

I hope so. I worked all day, getting home late tonight and so I haven't seen any news all day. I just saw on a repeat broadcast that "sources" say police have found human remains (in the yard of the home? --- missed where).

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Cleveland kidnapping suspect now faces 977 countsA grand jury has issued a fresh indictment charging Ariel Castro with 977 counts relating to allegations that he held three women captive for about a decade in his Cleveland home, the Cuyahoga County prosecutor's office said Friday.The new indictment -- which adds 648 counts to the 329 on which he was indicted last month -- encompasses all the years of the women's captivity, whereas the previous indictment covered only the first four and a half years, the prosecutor's office said..............................Among the charges are two counts of aggravated murder, in which Castro is accused of intentionally causing the termination of a pregnancy.Castro also faces 512 counts of kidnapping, 446 counts of rape, seven counts of gross sexual imposition, six counts of felonious assault, three counts of child endangerment and one count of possessing criminal tools.He will be arraigned July 17.[/break1]cnn.com/2013/07/12/justice/ohio-castro-indictment/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/12/justice/o ... index.html
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

ABC News July 15, 2013 [link]UConn Professor Faces Sexual Misconduct Probe,http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ucon ... e-19668770[/link]A University of Connecticut music professor who was placed on paid leave last month is under investigation by police amid allegations of sexual misconduct and decades-old molestation involving children, including several boys who attended a camp for sick children.UConn officials said Monday morning they were cooperating with the investigations. They also announced the creation of a special Board of Trustees committee to review the university's responses to the allegations against Robert Miller, 66, of Mansfield.University employees were notified several times between 2006 and 2011 of allegations that Miller had sexual contact with children, but it wasn't until February of this year that school administrators were told of the claims, according to UConn officials and the state attorney general's office. And it wasn't until June 21 that Miller was placed on paid administrative leave.It was also revealed Monday that the attorney general's office is seeking bids from a law firm to advise and represent UConn's Board of Trustees and that UConn has hired a private investigator.To emphasize: these claims date back to the 1960's and 1970's and extend until at least 1992.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

True, but paedophiles rarely voluntarily stop.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

[link]Huffington Post,http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 99235.html[/link]Last month, a faculty member told a university official that a student alleged that Miller had sex with UConn students, visited freshmen dorms and provided drugs to students, according to the state attorney general's office. It's not clear when those alleged actions took place. Miller has worked at UConn for three decades and was head of the Music Department from 1999 to 2003.Miller also has been under investigation by Connecticut state police and authorities in Fairfax County, Va., following allegations that he molested five boys, who ranged in age from 10 to 13 years old, more than two decades ago, according to a state police search warrant affidavit for Miller's home that was obtained by the AP.It sounds as if the assaults did not end in 1992.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Boston.com AP story July 15, 2013 [link]UConn professor faces sexual misconduct probe,http://www.boston.com/news/local/connec ... story.html[/link]Among the kids allegedly abused were some at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in Ashford (CT), opened by actor Paul Newman for sick children. Camp officials fired the professor but made no police report.The School of Fine Arts received a letter and e-mail in December 2011 that claimed the professor is a pedophile, but no action was taken until February 2013 with a new Dean of the School.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Very sad.But not surprising.Which makes it even sadder.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

This is what the creep attacked in 1992:

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]CNN,http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/26/justice/o ... picks=true[/link]

Outcry over Cleveland's missing women

East Cleveland, Ohio (CNN) -- Near the areas where the decomposing bodies of three young women were found wrapped in plastic last weekend, angry and frightened residents gather to rally and pray.

"Our women do not feel safe!" one community leader yells.

"We will protect our families!" yells another.

The community here has been badly shaken recently. In the past several years, Cleveland's metropolitan area has been the center of a series of grisly discoveries of missing, murdered, kidnapped, raped and mutilated women. ...

With the discovery of the three missing women's remains, the question is being asked often here: What's happening to women in Cleveland?

Return to “Social Issues”