Shots fired at capital barricade

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Re: Shots fired at capital barricade

Post by fierceredpanda »

Weren't Farakkhan and the NOI sort of Trumpy, though? I'm not trying to insinuate that this was anything other than the act of one disturbed individual, but, given the vile rantings and conspiracy theories that Louis Farrakhan has spouted in the past and his implicit support of Donald Trump in 2016 on anti-Semitic grounds (he said that Trump was the only candidate "who has stood in front of the Jewish community and said 'I don’t want your money.'"), it wouldn't totally surprise me if the Nation of Islam was down with a Trump restoration.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I hate to say it, but my first thought after they announced the officers had shot and killed the attacker, he'd turn out to be black/brown.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 am Weren't Farakkhan and the NOI sort of Trumpy, though? I'm not trying to insinuate that this was anything other than the act of one disturbed individual, but, given the vile rantings and conspiracy theories that Louis Farrakhan has spouted in the past and his implicit support of Donald Trump in 2016 on anti-Semitic grounds (he said that Trump was the only candidate "who has stood in front of the Jewish community and said 'I don’t want your money.'"), it wouldn't totally surprise me if the Nation of Islam was down with a Trump restoration.
Farrakhan and Trump just prove people are not easily pigeon holed, there aren't just two sides, things are not B&W, and shades of grey cover the most area.
somerset

Post by somerset »

bill_g wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:18 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 am Weren't Farakkhan and the NOI sort of Trumpy, though? I'm not trying to insinuate that this was anything other than the act of one disturbed individual, but, given the vile rantings and conspiracy theories that Louis Farrakhan has spouted in the past and his implicit support of Donald Trump in 2016 on anti-Semitic grounds (he said that Trump was the only candidate "who has stood in front of the Jewish community and said 'I don’t want your money.'"), it wouldn't totally surprise me if the Nation of Islam was down with a Trump restoration.
Farrakhan and Trump just prove people are not easily pigeon holed, there aren't just two sides, things are not B&W, and shades of grey cover the most area.

I don’t think he was seriously a follower of Farrakhan. It sounds like he was brought up in a strict Christian household, but went seriously off the rails in the last couple of years.
Noah Green, who was in his early 20s, was remembered as a stalwart defensive back on the Christopher Newport University football team before he slid into deep religiousness and paranoia that left family and friends concerned about his mental state in recent years.

Brendan Green said that Noah suddenly abandoned his Newport News apartment one day and moved to Indianapolis, saying that the drugs had inspired him to go there. When he was in Indianapolis, Noah Green began to tell his brother that people were breaking into his apartment.

A couple of months ago, Noah Green left Indianapolis and moved to Botswana, according to his brother. While in Botswana, Noah Green told his brother that “his mind was telling him to basically commit suicide.” He told his brother that he had jumped in front of a car and was so badly injured that he had surgery at a hospital. Brendan Green saw bruises and scars on his brother’s body.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... story.html
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bill_g wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:25 am
June bug wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:16 pm Per MSNBC, the suspect is Noah Green, 25. A follower of the Nation of Islam, unemployed, looking for spiritual guidance per his Facebook post(s).
Karnac predicts the actions of a single black man Apr 2 will outweigh those of hundreds of whites Jan 6 on Fox News and other conservative outlets.
I've been seeing a lot of thread comments along the lines of 'the liberal media refuses to talk about this one because he is not white, so we must amplify it!',.. so yeah, I am already seeing people treat it like this needs to be talked about constantly because 'the media' is ignoring it in order to 'attack white people'.
bob

Post by bob »

E.g.:

(I may regret following Gallups' new account on Twitter, which again unbaned me.)
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

He's such a wind up toy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Family and friends concerned Noah Green was unraveling before Capitol attack
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 1e56e0880f
Noah Green, who was in his early 20s, was remembered as a stalwart defensive back on the Christopher Newport University football team before he slid into deep religiousness and paranoia that left family and friends concerned about his mental state in recent years.

Family and friends said he blamed former teammates and roommates for drugging him with Xanax in 2019, which one teammate said most people regarded as unmoored from reality. Noah Green felt the episode left him addicted to the drug and suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Noah Green moved out into his own apartment in Newport News, but he continued to suffer hallucinations, heart palpitations, headaches and suicidal thoughts that could have been related to drugs or mental illness, his brother said.
:snippity:
Brendan Green said his brother was violently ill Thursday evening in the Virginia apartment they shared, before he left and sent a forlorn text that was one of their final communications.

“ ‘I’m sorry but I’m just going to go and live and be homeless,’ ” Brendan Green said the text read. “Thank you for everything that you’ve done. I looked up to you when I was a kid. You inspired me a lot.”
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Lani wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 am Family and friends concerned Noah Green was unraveling before Capitol attack

Family and friends said he blamed former teammates and roommates for drugging him with Xanax in 2019, which one teammate said most people regarded as unmoored from reality. Noah Green felt the episode left him addicted to the drug and suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Noah Green moved out into his own apartment in Newport News, but he continued to suffer hallucinations, heart palpitations, headaches and suicidal thoughts that could have been related to drugs or mental illness, his brother said.
Brendan Green said his brother was violently ill Thursday evening in the Virginia apartment they shared, before he left and sent a forlorn text that was one of their final communications.

“ ‘I’m sorry but I’m just going to go and live and be homeless,’ ” Brendan Green said the text read. “Thank you for everything that you’ve done. I looked up to you when I was a kid. You inspired me a lot.”

This sounds more like suicide by cop than anything ideological. I also don’t get where the Nation of Islam angle comes in. The college he attended is an offshoot of William and Mary, and the only campus religious groups are Christian. Maybe he was disillusioned with Christianity and searching for something, but hadn’t found anything that filled the void.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

somerset wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 pm
Lani wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 am Family and friends concerned Noah Green was unraveling before Capitol attack

This sounds more like suicide by cop than anything ideological. I also don’t get where the Nation of Islam angle comes in. The college he attended is an offshoot of William and Mary, and the only campus religious groups are Christian. Maybe he was disillusioned with Christianity and searching for something, but hadn’t found anything that filled the void.
His FB page said he was a "follower" of the NOI.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “Current Politics”