Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again

pipistrelle

Re: Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Racism means different things to different people. For the 90% plus of Republicans claiming Individual-1 isn't racist, racism is putting on a white hood, using the forbidden words, maybe (maybe) hoisting the Confederate flag, etc. You have to be loud and blatant to be racist. Stereotyping, lumping people together as "other," etc. = not racist. Just the way the world is from their perspective. None of those bedroom community Republicans are racist by this definition, and they don't see racism as a problem.

As someone whose early co-workers were Black, I see racism differently. I saw countless little slights directed toward others but not me. I overheard conversations in which "new employee, the Black guy" was barely perceptibly, but perceptibly, equated with "laziness" and "attitude." I saw the promotions that happened and those that didn't. I saw the unwillingness to befriend or form any kind of relationship with certain employees. I saw the subtle discriminations, condescensions, and segregations. Yet none of these well-educated, affluent professionals dreamed they had a racist bone in their bodies. No Klansmen among them, so it was all good.

Probably oversimplified and dated, but I imagine there's some of this behind the belief that Hair Furor is not racist.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 pm

:yeah:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 am

There's another factor in the low numbers from Republicans for the "is Trump a racist?" question: herd loyalty. We saw how evangelicals tossed out their claimed absolute moral principles when voting gleefully for Trump. Similarly, other RWers will not concede anything derogatory about their people. They'll select the response that best supports their team.

I confess that I'd probably do something similar if I found I was answering questions in a RW-focused survey, such as a polling exercise for Fox "News". For example, I might have deep misgivings about a Democrat's taxation policy, but I'd reply "strongly support" if I knew the exercise was part of an attempt to trash my side and in no way genuine social research.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 am
There's another factor in the low numbers from Republicans for the "is Trump a racist?" question: herd loyalty. We saw how evangelicals tossed out their claimed absolute moral principles when voting gleefully for Trump. Similarly, other RWers will not concede anything derogatory about their people. They'll select the response that best supports their team.
Speaking of which, from the same poll:
Do you think President Trump is racist, or don't you think so?

White Evangelicals
Yes/Racist 21%
No 76 %

Protestant
Yes/Racist 42%
No 55%

Catholic
Yes/Racist 48%
No 50%

None
Yes/Racist 63%
No 30%

Attend Services
Weekly
Yes/Racist 41%
No 54%

Less
Yes/Racist 54%
No 42%

No surprise about the White Evangelicals. But the biggest takeaway here is the relationship between religiosity (at least of the christian variety) and racism. The last question affirms it: the more you practice your (christian), the more likely you are to not view Trump as a racist.

Too, also, white men are the largest group to not see Trump as a racist, followed by white women. No surprise there. #BlindedByTheWhite
I've heard this bull before.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 am

I wish I could find it but a fellow I follow on twitter asked if somebody could send him the super secret phone number available to black Americans who are now calling the president to tell him how much they appreciate him shining a light on their hell. He'd like to call trump and tell him to go to hell.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am

TSA at Miami International Airport:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 87897.html
A noose was reportedly found at the Miami airport. Two TSA officers were put on leave

A noose was found at Miami International Airport and two Transportation Security Administration officers have been put on leave, according to reports

The “offensive display” was found in a TSA baggage screening area in the non-public side of the airport, according to a TSA statement.

The display was reported to be a noose, according to Miami Herald News partner CBS4.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:37 am

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... lence.html
National Cathedral Leaders Condemn Trump’s Racism, Question Americans’ Silence in the Face of It

Religious leaders at the Washington National Cathedral issued a rare public statement Tuesday in response to President Donald Trump’s divisive, racist taunts and rhetoric, calling on Americans to hold him—and all their leaders—more accountable for their words. “Make no mistake about it, words matter. And, Mr. Trump’s words are dangerous,” the statement reads. “As faith leaders who serve at Washington National Cathedral—the sacred space where America gathers at moments of national significance—we feel compelled to ask: After two years of President Trump’s words and actions, when will Americans have enough?”

“We have come to accept a level of insult and abuse in political discourse that violates each person’s sacred identity as a child of God. We have come to accept as normal a steady stream of language and accusations coming from the highest office in the land that plays to racist elements in society,” the Episcopalian leaders wrote. “This week, President Trump crossed another threshold. Not only did he insult a leader in the fight for racial justice and equality for all persons; not only did he savage the nations from which immigrants to this country have come; but now he has condemned the residents of an entire American city. Where will he go from here?”
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:45 pm

Due to Repeated Vandalism, Emmett Till Memorial to Be Replaced With Bulletproof Sign
Most recently, three University of Mississippi students were suspended from their fraternity after posing in front of the sign with guns

By Brigit Katz
SMITHSONIAN.COM
JULY 29, 2019

In 2007, a sign was erected along the Tallahatchie River in Mississippi, marking the spot where the body of Emmett Till was pulled from the water in 1955. The murder of Till, a 14-year-old African-American boy who was brutally killed by two white men, became a galvanizing incident of the Civil Rights Movement. But over the years, the memorial commemorating his death has been repeatedly vandalized—first stolen, then shot at, then shot at again, according to Nicole Chavez, Martin Savidge and Devon M. Sayers of CNN. Now, the Emmett Till Memorial Commission is planning to replace the damaged memorial with a bulletproof sign.

This will be the fourth sign that the commission has placed at the site. The first was swiped in 2008, and no arrests were ever made in connection with the incident. The replacement marker was vandalized with bullets, more than 100 rounds over the course of several years. Just 35 days after it was erected in 2018, the third sign was shot at as well.

The third memorial made headlines recently when Jerry Mitchell of the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting, in conjunction with ProPublica, revealed that three University of Mississippi students had been suspended from their fraternity house after posing in front of the sign with guns, in a photo that was posted to the private Instagram account of one of the students. The Justice Department is reportedly investigating the incident.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180972753/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:46 pm

Here’s Proof Ole Miss Knew Identities of Two Students Who Posed in Front of Shot-Up Emmett Till Sign, But Did Little
After we started asking questions, the University of Mississippi interim chancellor acknowledged that a communications “breakdown” stalled a full inquiry into the incident.
by Jerry Mitchell, Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting July 30, 12:40 p.m. EDT

This article was produced in partnership with the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting, which is a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network.

ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for ProPublica’s Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox as soon as they are published.

When the head of the University of Mississippi condemned fraternity members last week for posing with guns in front of a bullet-riddled memorial to the slain 14-year-old civil rights icon Emmett Till, he defended the campus investigation and the decision not to discipline the students.

He said Ole Miss had been unable to identify “all” the students involved when it received the complaint “or that they were all affiliated with the same fraternity.”

But the statement was misleading.

A bias complaint filed in March, and obtained by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, clearly identifies two of the men by name and their membership in Kappa Alpha Order.

The photo “shows three boys, at least two of whom are members of KA at Ole Miss,” the complaint reads.

https://www.propublica.org/article/univ ... estigation

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:46 pm
Here’s Proof Ole Miss Knew Identities of Two Students Who Posed in Front of Shot-Up Emmett Till Sign, But Did Little
I appreciate that university authorities are limited in their control ot jurisdiction over their students when off-campus, etc. but the university head's response reads like a cowardly attempt to make it just go away, to claim to be anti-racist while doing absolutely sweet f***-all about it.

And the statement that they could not identify all of the participants is borderline dishonest. It is clearly forensically accurate, but it tries to imply to readers that the univertisty did not know who the participants were so, hey, what could we do? That sort of attempted misdirection is unworthy of an academic institution. And their explicit support of the fraternity's "we don't care" response is doubly unworthy.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:46 pm
I appreciate that university authorities are limited in their control ot jurisdiction over their students when off-campus, etc. but the university head's response reads like a cowardly attempt to make it just go away, to claim to be anti-racist while doing absolutely sweet f***-all about it.

And the statement that they could not identify all of the participants is borderline dishonest. It is clearly forensically accurate, but it tries to imply to readers that the univertisty did not know who the participants were so, hey, what could we do? That sort of attempted misdirection is unworthy of an academic institution. And their explicit support of the fraternity's "we don't care" response is doubly unworthy.
A week before this happened one of their students was charged with murdering his girlfriend, off campus and not at school sanctioned event, and was summarily expelled so their excuse of not being in control of the students at the time is a load of shit.

And yes, I understand the difference in the 2 crimes. I also understand that Ole Miss has absolutely no uniform reaction to anything that happens up there.

optimusprime

Post by optimusprime » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 am

A Texas police department is apologizing for its treatment of an African-American man after photos showed him handcuffed and being led by two police officers on horseback.

It appears that this is in the training manual for mounted units. That means it survived Jim Crow, Civil Rights reviews and just plain common sense for ANYONE to be led down the street this way. The image in this peace is just bad.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:01 am

optimusprime wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 am
A Texas police department is apologizing for its treatment of an African-American man after photos showed him handcuffed and being led by two police officers on horseback.

It appears that this is in the training manual for mounted units. That means it survived Jim Crow, Civil Rights reviews and just plain common sense for ANYONE to be led down the street this way. The image in this peace is just bad.
It's actually an officer safety issue for mounted units in a crowd situation and is perfectly acceptable under specific conditions. This is not a crowd situation and completely unacceptable under the circumstances.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 am
The twits also do not realize her ancestry is Asian, not Hispanic.

For some background, she was on duty in the ER during the Aurora movie shooting.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Police investigating after woman allegedly called police on black man for looking 'suspicious'
Posted: 12:37 PM, Aug 15, 2019 Updated: 6:42 PM, Aug 15, 2019
By: WXYZ Staff

Police investigating after woman allegedly called police on black man for looking 'suspicious'

ROYAL OAK, Mich. — Police are investigating after a witness claims officers stopped a black man on the street because a white woman said the man looked at her suspiciously.

The witness streamed the event on Facebook live.

"I was going to the CVS over here when this young man was stopped because a Caucasian lady said that he looked at her suspiciously and he has been pulled over walking to go to eat by two police officers for suspicion of being black," the witness says in the video.

In the video, the 20-year-old man identifies himself to police and a apologizes for the inconvenience.

"They need to make a warning sign for Royal Oak: 'Don't stare too long.," the man said in the video.

"No, don't be black and stare," the witness said.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... suspicious

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Emmett Till . . . :twisted: :twisted:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:07 am

Michigan city council candidate Jean Cramer wants to keep community as white "as possible"
August 23, 2019 / 7:39 AM / CBS/AP

A Michigan city council candidate shocked a public forum when she said she wants to keep "Marysville a white community as much as possible."

Jean Cramer made the comment Thursday in response to a question about diversity in Marysville, a city in St. Clair County, 55 miles northeast of Detroit. The Times Herald in Port Huron says she's one of five candidates running for three council seats in November.

The candidate further went on to state that she would not like "foreign born" people to settle in Marysville.

After the forum, Cramer told the newspaper that she's not "against blacks" but believes married couples "need to be the same race."

"As long as, how can I put this? What Kathy Hayman doesn't know is that her family is in the wrong," she said. "(A) husband and wife need to be the same race. Same thing with kids. That's how it's been from the beginning of, how can I say, when God created the heaven and the earth. He created Adam and Eve at the same time. But as far as me being against blacks, no I'm not."
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:20 am

Adam and Eve were white? Show me pictures. Jeebus was white? Show me a real picture, not one drawn up by someone who lived in a fantasy world. Considering the region that Jeebus came from, I highly doubt that his skin complexion was as white as driven snow.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:20 am
Adam and Eve were white? Show me pictures. Jeebus was white? Show me a real picture, not one drawn up by someone who lived in a fantasy world. Considering the region that Jeebus came from, I highly doubt that his skin complexion was as white as driven snow.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35120965

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:34 am

Marysville Mi Demographics

Population: 9,687

According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Marysville Mi was:

White: 94.75%
Two or more races: 2.76%
Other race: 1.09%
Black or African American: 0.82%
Asian: 0.58%
Native American: 0.00%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.00%
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 am

Here is a fuller story on the racist lady candidate. The outgoing mayor, besides heavily refuting the lady, also pointed out that the forum was held so people could get a better idea of the candidates' views, and they got it.

https://www.thetimesherald.com/story/ne ... 084613001/
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:49 am

I just took my mother down to the great room at her apartment complex for the morning coffee get together. One of her neighbors was there wearing a memorial t-shirt in honor of his brother who was killed in the El Paso Walmart. We hugged and I told him how sorry I was. All the while the gigantic flat screen TV is screaming Fox News. I said to my mother and Ed, another resident, that they should turn off Fox in respect. Ed and Mom both agreed that it is the only real news. I left. Mom can scoot back in her wheelchair or Ed can push her.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:49 am

He created Adam and Eve at the same time.
That's not how I remember the story going in Genesis. Why don't these Evangelicals know what's in the Bible?
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:53 am

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:49 am
I just took my mother down to the great room at her apartment complex for the morning coffee get together. One of her neighbors was there wearing a memorial t-shirt in honor of his brother who was killed in the El Paso Walmart. We hugged and I told him how sorry I was. All the while the gigantic flat screen TV is screaming Fox News. I said to my mother and Ed, another resident, that they should turn off Fox in respect. Ed and Mom both agreed that it is the only real news. I left. Mom can scoot back in her wheelchair or Ed can push her.
I am sorry this happened. It seems to go on everywhere in America. People are "nice" but if anyone gives them any pushback about what they feel free to express, it's over.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Return to “Social Issues”