Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Dolly

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by Dolly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 am

How nice that our neighbor to the north has a leader like this: Justin Trudeau at Pride wearing rainbow socks high-fiving a little girl dressed as Wonder Woman. #ienvycanada #ihavewonderwomansocks
#Ibelieveinlove
#andkarma

Laura Vandervoort‏Verified account
@Vandiekins22
Happy Pride Toronto #PrideParade2017 @JustinTrudeau ❤

4:15 PM - 25 Jun 2017

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:18 am

Canada's leader seems genuinely happy to be alive.. and reaps joy from other people's joy..

USA's leader, not so much.

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:40 pm

tek wrote:Canada's leader seems genuinely happy to be alive.. and reaps joy from other people's joy..

USA's leader, not so much.
:yeah:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Reminds me of Obama. He also has a genuine smile and enjoyed meeting and interacting with citizens.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 pm

NYT: Justices to Hear Case on Religious Objections to Same-Sex Marriage:
The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to hear an appeal from a Colorado baker with religious objections to same-sex marriage who had lost a discrimination case for refusing to create a cake to celebrate such a union.

The case will be a major test of a clash between laws that ban businesses open to the public from discriminating based on sexual orientation and claims of religious freedom. Around the nation, businesses like bakeries, florists and photography studios have said, so far with little success, that forcing them to serve gay couples violates their constitutional rights.

The new case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, No. 16-111, started in 2012, when the baker, Jack Phillips, an owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colo., refused to create a cake for the wedding reception of David Mullins and Charlie Craig, who were planning to marry in Massachusetts. The couple filed discrimination charges, and they won before a civil rights commission and in the courts.

In a second development concerning gay and lesbian couples, the Supreme Court reaffirmed on Monday its 2015 decision recognizing a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, ruling that states may not treat married same-sex couples differently from others in issuing birth certificates.

The majority decision was unsigned. Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr., dissented.

The case concerned an Arkansas law about birth certificates that treats married opposite-sex couples differently from same-sex ones. A husband of a married woman is automatically listed as the father even if he is not the genetic parent. Same-sex spouses are not.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:37 pm

I have religious objections to driving at the speed limit. I have religious objections to my neighbor having a cookout on Sunday. I object to paying taxes that suport the military. On and on and on.....

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Let's not forget it's the 2nd anniversary! We are grateful every single day. Cake for all! :bighug:
Capeheart.JPG
June 26, 2015. America at its greatest.
By Jonathan Capehart June 26 at 8:40 AM

On June 26, 2015, the United States hit its highest high-water mark in living out the ideals upon which it was founded. And the longer we slog through the tenure of President Trump, with its aggressive efforts to turn back the hands of time, the more true that assertion becomes. For that day two years ago was a most extraordinary day in our history.

The morning started with the announcement of a once-unthinkable decision from the Supreme Court. At 10:07 a.m., the high court ruled that same-sex couples had a constitutional right to marry. A decades-long push that saw countless ordinary Americans demand from their nation the right to equal respect and dignity for their relationships and families ended with a 5-4 decision that affirmed both. Writing the majority opinion in Obergefell v. Hodges, Justice Anthony Kennedy got to the heart of the matter:

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. (Pg. 28)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/po ... f35a336a99
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 pm

ZekeB wrote:I have religious objections to driving at the speed limit. I have religious objections to my neighbor having a cookout on Sunday. I object to paying taxes that suport the military. On and on and on.....
You forgot a religious objection to blacks joos fill in the blanks living/working/eating/marrying in the same neighborhood/world.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Ala. Today: Two years later, 7 Alabama counties still not issuing marriage licenses to same-sex, other couples:
Two years after same-sex marriage became legal throughout the United Sates, such couples still cannot get married in parts of Alabama.

On the second anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized same-sex marriages nationwide, seven Alabama counties have still not issued marriage licenses to any couples since June 26, 2015.

Political statistic website Ballotpedia notes the counties not issuing marriage licenses are Autauga, Clarke, Cleburne, Covington, Geneva, Pike and Washington. The remaining 60 counties comply with the Obergefell ruling.

As of June 2017, Ballotpedia reports that a single county in Texas is refusing to clarify whether they would issue licenses to same-sex couples if such a couple would apply.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Some attorneys should take note. There's money to be made in them thar Alabammie hills!

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:37 pm

NPR: Texas Supreme Court Rules Against Benefits For Same-Sex Couples:
The Texas Supreme Court Friday sided with same-sex marriage opponents who argued that the city of Houston should not extended its benefits policy to married same-sex couples. The Court threw out a lower court ruling that had favored the benefits and sent the case back to a lower court.

In 2013, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the federal government must extend benefits to married same-sex couples. In 2015, the Supreme Court declared same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states. At issue now is whether that ruling requires public agencies to provide benefits to same-sex spouses of government employees.

The plaintiffs — two taxpayers represented by same-sex marriage opponents — contend that Houston's benefits policy goes further than the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court's Obergefell decision requires. The Texas Supreme Court, in Pidgeon v. Houston, agreed.

As KUT explained, the Texas Supreme Court originally declined to hear the case which upheld the lower court's decision but reversed course last month "under pressure from top Texas Republicans[.]

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Am I correct to assume that this is headed for a SCOTUS slapdown?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:03 pm

German Parliament Approves Same-Sex Marriage
By ALISON SMALE and DAVID SHIMERJUNE 30, 2017

The German Parliament’s vote on Friday to legalize same-sex marriage resulted in jubilation in Berlin. Credit Fabrizio Bensch/Reuters
BERLIN — When Sarah Kermer proposed to her girlfriend in March, she knew she was in love, but she did not know when, if ever, Germany would allow them to marry.

The answer came early Friday morning, when the lower house of the German Parliament voted to legalize same-sex marriage after a brisk but emotional debate, prompting Ms. Kermer and scores of other gay and lesbian Germans to celebrate in the streets.

:snippity:

Ms. Merkel’s softened resistance opened the way for her coalition partners in the Social Democratic Party and two other political groups to press for a vote on the measure, which had previously been blocked by Ms. Merkel’s Christian Democrats and their conservative allies. Ms. Merkel voted against the measure on Friday, but many of her party colleagues voted in favor, allowing it to pass easily — 393 votes in favor and 226 against, with four abstentions.

With the passage of the measure, Germany will join Ireland, France, Spain and other nations in extending full marital rights to same-sex couples, including the right to adopt children.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/worl ... riage.html

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Chilidog wrote:Am I correct to assume that this is headed for a SCOTUS slapdown?
Yes. My predickshun is summary reversal with Justices Thomas and Gorsuch whining dissenting. The Texas Supreme Court appears to be an arm of the Texas Republican party. The justices must be so proud of themselves.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Yes. My predickshun is summary reversal with Justices Thomas and Gorsuch whining dissenting.
Concur in part, dissent in part.

Preliminarily, review by SCOTUS isn't automatic. But no doubt there's at least four votes for a grant.

I don't think it will be a summary reversal. SCOTUS just granted cert. in the wedding-cake case; these two cases will let the court "explore" the boundaries of its recent decisions regarding same-sex rights. Having said that, I haven't read this decision, but I don't see SCOTUS agreeing to the federal government granting benefits to same-sex spouses, but not the states.

Barring a death/retirement/impeachment, SCOTUS' ideological balance remains as it was two years ago. So I anticipate a reversal by the court; either the same 5-4 as before, or maybe 6-3.

This is a state-court decision, so the standing concerns are different. But I am curious how some taxpayers can complain; I mean, one could question the wisdom of the policy, but that's a far cry from saying the policy is unconstitutional.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:10 am

#HeterosexualPrideDay backfires as LGBT users subvert it on Twitter

Attempt to mock gay pride movement is hijacked by LGBT people using it to highlight discrimination they still face
Martin Belam Friday 30 June 2017 05.52 EDT Last modified on Friday 30 June 2017 07.12 EDT

An attempt to mock and belittle the LGBT pride movement on social media has backfired spectacularly. The #HeterosexualPrideDay hashtag ended up trending, but not for the reasons those initially posting it had hoped. The hashtag started as a homophobic attempt to troll the LGBT community, and those offering support to it.
OakTown.JPG
Red Countries.JPG
Lots more examples at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... _Google%2B

Our response and lots understood:
Straight Pride.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Texas Republican Blocks State’s Bathroom Bill: “I Don’t Want The Suicide Of A Single Texan On My Hands”

http://www.newnownext.com/joe-straus-su ... l/07/2017/
While Texas’ bathroom bill has been met with opposition by equal rights groups, it also received criticism from a surprising place—Republican House Speaker Joe Straus.

Straus previously blocked Senate Bill 6, which would have banned trans people from using facilities matching their gender identity and prohibited municipalities from enacting LGBT-rights ordinances, calling it “manufactured and unnecessary.”

Although state politicians kept attempting to get approval of SB6, which is similar to North Carolina’s infamously controversial HB2, Straus says it’s vital to push back against the proposal “in order to protect our economy from billions of dollars in losses and more importantly to protect the safety of some very vulnerable young Texans.”

:snippity:

Straus also told the publication that he’s disheartened to watch the Republican Party become increasingly influenced by Christian ideologues and cultural concerns at the expense of economic issues.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 pm

A GOP heretic

BURN HIM!!!!

;)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:35 pm

At the very least, they will primary him.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm

My goodness, a sensible Republican, and in TX of all places. I have a suspicion that if he can block something like that and not be pressured out of it he has a sufficient power base of his own.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:10 am

Kentucky earlier this year enacted a law to the effect that the various clubs in the public schools and colleges (such as the Chess Club and the Future Serial Killers of America and the like) could (and should) exclude any and all GLBT students. This got a reaction; California held that its anti-discrimination law meant that no public funds could be used to send anyone - public officials, school teams, etc. - to Kentucky whether for training, conventions, competitions, anything. And then Kentucky lost two big industrial conventions that had been planned.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 am

Nelsan Ellis from True Blood passed away at only 39. Millions learned from his character. Classic scene that lives on... NSFW
Cody Rohlfing‏ @Cody_Rohlfing
Rest In Peace Nelsan Ellis and thank you for giving us this iconic scene.

#tipyowaitress
ㅤㅤ
5:54 PM - 8 Jul 2017

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 am

Human Rights Campaign launches $26 million 2018 effort
By Edward-Isaac Dovere 07/11/2017 12:03 AM EDT

The Human Rights Campaign is going on a hiring spree ahead of the 2018 elections, announcing plans to bring in 20 new full-time campaign staff — nearly doubling its existing political structure — and focusing efforts in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona and Nevada. The new effort by the LGBTQ advocacy group will be called HRC Rising and will be backed by $26 million in allocated funds for political, field, grassroots organizing, volunteer engagement, communications and digital staffers.

“It’s not enough to resist the hateful policies and attacks coming from the Trump-Pence regime — we’ve got to accelerate the pace of progress toward full equality and secure protections for LGBTQ people in states and communities across the country,” HRC president Chad Griffin said. The focus states were selected because of the concentration of HRC members and supporters, but they’re also home to what are likely to be some of the most competitive races for governor, Senate and House next year.

The advocacy group said LGBTQ voters were the only demographic group to vote in higher numbers for Hillary Clinton in 2016 than for Barack Obama in 2012, and it will be expanding and deploying its “Equality Voter Model” to target and organize both LGBTQ voters and those “likely to oppose candidates who attack the civil rights of LGBTQ people.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/1 ... btq-240374

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:21 am

HRC Rising?

Are they tone deaf?

Remember WTF.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:30 am

Human Rights Campaign, not that lady who couldn't beat the worst candidate in American history.

That had me goin' for a second, so I read it again.

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Return to “Social Issues”