Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 pm

I couldn't find a general gay rights thread. "The Strategic Goal of This Project is to Drive a Wedge Between Gays and Blacks"By David Weigel | Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012, at 10:20 AM ETSome documents released via a law suit show NOM tried to build a coaltion between minorities and the anti-gay conservatives.dave got his stuff via Ben Smith. I'm just gonna post a few of the images that dave has. Go to his blog cuz there are more.[imgwidth=]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7021 ... e720aa.jpg[/imgwidth]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7279/6875 ... .jpgDave's post:[/break1]slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/03/27/_the_strategic_goal_of_this_project_is_to_drive_a_wedge_between_gays_and_blacks_]http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/ ... nd_blacks_.The BuzzFeed Post:[/break1]buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/in-secret-documents-anti-gay-marriage-group-plott]http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitic ... roup-plottJust goes to show how much anybody considers what Alveda King has to say. bleh.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:52 am

Now we have the issue of same sex non-citizen and the American citizen either married (with papers) or in a stable relationship CANNOT get a green card.[/break1]msnbc.msn.com/id/43287105/ns/us_news-life/t/gay-couples-seek-green-cards-despite-likely-denial/]No Green Card for YOU!CATHEDRAL CITY, California — Faced with losing the life they've built together in the dusty California desert town of Cathedral City, Doug Gentry and Alex Benshimol are making a last-ditch effort to stave off the looming threat of deportation.To a large degree, the couple is stuck. While the American information technology consultant and Venezuelan pet groomer wed at a romantic Connecticut ceremony last year, the federal government won't recognize the marriage between the two men — and as a result, won't approve their application for a green card granting permanent residency status for Benshimol.But the couple, and others facing a similar predicament, are still trying. The men don't expect to actually obtain a green card any time soon and have already been shot down once but hope filing an application might convince an immigration judge to at least refrain from deporting Benshimol while the fiery legal debate over the country's same-sex marriage laws simmers."There have been so many ups and downs on this roller coaster. I really don't know what to expect," said Gentry, 53. "It can't hurt (to refile). All they can do is deny it again."

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 am

The Weigel link is broken and I can't find it at Slate. But the Buzzfeed link is ok.What vile stuff. :evil:

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Another half-step on the path to marriage equality reached today. DOMA will have to be repealed or invalidated for the other half of this step to be completed.[/break1]sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/05/BAOM1NV12O.DTL]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1NV12O.DTL

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:52 pm

It is important to recognize that DOMA was, to a great extent, supported by Democrats as well as Republicans. The vote was 85-14 in the Senate and 342-67 in the House. I do not know how many Democrats voted for it because of their convictions and how many voted for it because of their fears. The importance of recognizing this Democratic connivance in horrendous legislation is because we saw Democrats run similarly scared in 2010 and do not yet see full-throated support for the President's position that Republicans are the party of Social Darwinism, of the 1%. It is as if Democrats are unwilling to defend their own principles (Elizabeth Warren is a modern exception), assuming that they have Democratic principles.It is also important to recognize Bill Clinton's complicity. Against those votes, a veto stood no chance. However, he could have been far more vocal in opposing the legislation and then when letting it become law. Instead, he took cover behind the claim that the law would not empower discrimination, violence, or intimidation. Just as with his complicity with regard to the abolition of Glass-Steagall and the farce of the Kyoto Protocol, I trace our current issues with this issue back to Pres. Clinton's desire for popularity, which took precedence over his desire to be right. Democrats have paid a price for that ever since.On Friday, September 20, prior to signing the Defense of Marriage Act, President Clinton released the following [link]"signing statement",http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scott ... inton.html[/link], which did absolutely nothing but make him appear to be against hate. His opposition to governmental recognition of same-sex marriage was already well-known; it was the same position that Pres. Obama initially took. Politically expeditious, morally wrong.Throughout my life I have strenuously opposed discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against gay and lesbian Americans. I am signing into law H.R. 3396, a bill relating to same-gender marriage, but it is important to note what this legislation does and does not do.I have long opposed governmental recognition of same-gender marriages and this legislation is consistent with that position. The Act confirms the right of each state to determine its own policy with respect to same gender marriage and clarifies for purposes of federal law the operative meaning of the terms "marriage" and "spouse".This legislation does not reach beyond those two provisions. It has no effect on any current federal, state or local anti-discrimination law and does not constrain the right of Congress or any state or locality to enact anti-discrimination laws. I therefore would take this opportunity to urge Congress to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, an act which would extend employment discrimination protections to gays and lesbians in the workplace. This year the Senate considered this legislation contemporaneously with the Act I sign today and failed to pass it by a single vote. I hope that in its next Session Congress will pass it expeditiously.I also want to make clear to all that the enactment of this legislation should not, despite the fierce and at times divisive rhetoric surrounding it, be understood to provide an excuse for discrimination, violence or intimidation against any person on the basis of sexual orientation. Discrimination, violence and intimidation for that reason, as well as others, violate the principle of equal protection under the law and have no place in American society.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 am

[link]Family Equality Council Empowers “The Outspoken Generation”

National Advocacy Program for Young Adult Children of LGBT Families,http://www.familyequality.org/news__med ... eneration/[/link]

Washington DC - (Apr. 6, 2012) - Family Equality Council, the national organization that connects, supports and represents the two million children in this country being raised by parents who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) today unveiled The Outspoken Generation- a national youth advocacy initiative involving the young adult children of LGBT parents.

The program is designed to empower these young adults to raise their voices in support of LGBT families by speaking publicly at community events across the country, in front of local, state and national legislative bodies, and directly to the media.

Zach Wahls and Ella Robinson will serve as the program’s co-chairs.

(snip)

"We are now seeing the first generation of children, who were lovingly raised by LGBT parents, coming into young adulthood,” said Chrisler. “We know, from our conversations with these young people and from our experience with them, that they are terrific kids who are thriving and succeeding in life by any measure you choose to use. Many of them are now telling us that they are eager to tell the truth about their families. Who better to refute the myths and lies of hate groups like NOM than our grown up children?”

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 pm

President Obama comes out against Minnesota anti-gay-marriage referendum:Obama for America's Minnesota communications director, Kristin Sosanie, said in a news release that "while the President does not weigh in on every single ballot measure in every state, the record is clear that the President has long opposed divisive and discriminatory efforts to deny rights and benefits to same-sex couples. That's what the Minnesota ballot initiative would do -- it would single out and discriminate against committed gay and lesbian couples." :cheer: :cheer:[/break1]startribune.com/politics/statelocal/146746145.html]http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 46145.html

Litlebritdifrnt2

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:15 pm

A really beautifully done British ad in support of marriage equality. Also after viewing it you will find a link to this video, David Cameron: why I support gay marriage.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:17 pm

A really beautifully done British ad in support of marriage equality. Also after viewing it you will find a link to this video, David Cameron: why I support gay marriage. FIFY

Litlebritdifrnt2

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks Ducky! I have no idea what I was doing wrong. ](*,)

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks Ducky! I have no idea what I was doing wrong. ](*,)You're welcome. The trick is to remove everything between the "watch?" and the "v=*****" (the actual clip ID) -- and check it on preview. It's the "player embedded" and such that breaks the tag in phpBB.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks to you both, Britty and Ducky. Those were both wonderful.

Litlebritdifrnt2

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks Ducky! I have no idea what I was doing wrong. ](*,)You're welcome. The trick is to remove everything between the "watch?" and the "v=*****" (the actual clip ID) -- and check it on preview. It's the "player embedded" and such that breaks the tag in phpBB.Thanks for the tip.

rosy

Post by rosy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Those are excellent, Littlebrit (and Ducky). Love and marriage are such precious things, we should concentrate on celebrating the love two people have for each other, rather than getting steamed up about what sex they are. I wish we didn't have the two-tier civil partnership vs marriage fudge that we have here, it would be much simpler to just call it all marriage. However, small steps are better than no steps. One of my students (back when I was a karate teacher) had a civil partnership ceremony with her partner, and it was a marriage ceremony in just about every respect. Very moving.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:21 pm

[link]Found by Andrew Sullivan,http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com ... /ygle.html[/link]

Yglesias Award Nominee

"The Fatal Flaw in the Study* – There was no way to judge the credibility of subject reports of change in sexual orientation. I offered several (unconvincing) reasons why it was reasonable to assume that the subject’s reports of change were credible and not self-deception or outright lying. But the simple fact is that there was no way to determine if the subject’s accounts of change were valid.

I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy. I also apologize to any gay person who wasted time and energy undergoing some form of reparative therapy because they believed that I had proven that reparative therapy works with some “highly motivated” individuals," - Robert Spitzer, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University.It is not complete as an apology. Spitzer does not reject the idea that "therapy" is appropriate for the simple fact of being gay; he only says that his study did not prove that in some cases "therapy" is effective. Also, there were [link]many other criticisms,http://www.ralliance.org/spitzerstudy.html[/link] of his study, including his selection of the participants from a religious community that was already involved in "reparative therapy."

Truth Wins Out [link]EXCLUSIVE: Dr. Robert Spitzer Apologizes to Gay Community for Infamous ‘Ex-Gay’ Study,http://www.truthwinsout.org/news/2012/04/24542/[/link] Posted April 25th, 2012 by John M. Becker

* Can Some Gay Men and Lesbians Change Their Sexual Orientation? 200 Participants Reporting a Change from Homosexual to Heterosexual Orientation (Archives of Sexual Behavior, October 2003, p.403-417). The study first appeared as a working paper in 2001. It was roundly criticized from the beginning.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Also, when embedding the youtubes -- when you hit "Share" at the bottom of them, there will be a short url and a "options" drop down that gives you two or three of these: HD link Start at: Long linkSelect the long link and then copy/paste the longer url link from the box. No manual link editing required AND the pasted vid cand be expanded to full screen right here on TFB!

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Obama declares support for gay marriagePresident Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.In an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this place, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and conversations with his wife and own daughters."I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told Roberts, in an interview to appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday. Excerpts of the interview will air tonight on ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer.”remainder:[/break1]yahoo.com/obama-announces-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html]http://news.yahoo.com/obama-announces-h ... riage.html

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Obama declares support for gay marriagePresident Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.http://news.yahoo.com/obama-announces-h ... riage.html :-bd

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 pm

BREAKING: #OBAMA: "For me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that same-sex couples should be able to get married."But...Obama "still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own"So... :-?

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

guess I should check before I started a seperate thread :P Ah well, not like we don't have lots of redundancy here in FB :D Anyhoo, Cue outraged screeching from NOM in 5, 4, 3, 2....

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed May 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Oh boy. Here we go! :shock:

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed May 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Good for Obama! =D> =D> =D> :hug: :-* I knew he would, could pot be next? Just imagine the turnout at the polls in November if he jumped on both those bandwagons. It'd be shocking I tells ya! Just shocking! --> :-bd

Birfers are toast

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed May 09, 2012 3:28 pm

BREAKING: #OBAMA: "For me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that same-sex couples should be able to get married."But...Obama "still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own"So... :-?Remember, the states already are the ones who actually deal with marriage. IIRC, one of the arguments that is being used (and has met with approval at the district court level) in the suits challenging DOMA is that DOMA is an indefensible federal intrusion into state matters. Saying that the states should make their own decisions is (I think) consistent with the administration's position in refusing to defend DOMA, and it is an argument that makes it harder for SCOTUS to uphold that law. That's also ultimately a path that could lead to states being required to recognize marriages performed in other states (under Full Faith and Credit) without requiring theto perform those marriages themselves. That's far, far less than ideal, but probably a good hedge against the possibility of SCOTUS deciding that marriage is not a fundamental right.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Is there any way to prevent the states from deciding on their own until the SCOTUS finally gets a case that will settle the issue? Anything else would be a red flag to states' righters and not move the needle towards acceptance. That's the practical Obama. There is still a lot he can do at the federal level by executive order or supporting the DOJ in appeals. The country has been evolving in attitude as well, but it has not been even in distribution with the red and purple states doing what they always do.....pass laws and amendments in reaction to social changes. I am assuming Amendment One will be challenged just as Prop 8 was. It's all the more reason to make sure the SCOTUS does not have more right wing appointees when this comes before them. That's the big prize going FORWARD.

jtmunkus

Post by jtmunkus » Wed May 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Good for Obama! =D> =D> =D> :hug: :-* There it is! Proof of evolution! :banana: :banana:

Return to “Social Issues”