Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm

:lovestruck:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Mary Quite Contrary

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:58 am

:lovestruck: my eyes are leaking that was so so sweet. :crying:

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 am

:lovestruck:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 am

:thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:53 am

Bravo!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!! :lovestruck:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm

RWW: Mat Staver Says Kim Davis Is Not To Blame That Kentucky Has To Pay More Than $200K In Attorney’s Fees:
Last month, a federal judge ruled that the state of Kentucky would have to pay more than $200,000 in attorney’s fees stemming from the legal fight over Rowan County clerk Kim Davis’ refusal to issue marriage licenses in the wake of the Supreme Court’s marriage equality ruling in 2015.

On today’s “Faith and Freedom” radio broadcast, Liberty Counsel’s Mat Staver, who represented Davis in her legal battle, declared that it is former Gov. Steve Beshear who is at fault for the fact that the state is now on the hook for these legal fees, not Davis, because Beshear didn’t issue an executive order exempting Davis from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

“If, at the end of the day,” Staver said, “the state of Kentucky has to pay for attorney’s fees, whose responsibility is that? It’s not Kim Davis, it’s not Rowan Country, it’s not the current legislative body … it’s certainly not Gov. Matt Bevin.”

“It is the former liberal Democratic Gov. Beshear,” Staver asserted. “Had he [provided a religious liberty accommodation to Davis,] this case never would have gone anywhere. Had he done that, Kim Davis never would have spent any time in jail. Had he done that, the ACLU never would have had a case.”

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

tek

Post by tek » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 pm

bob wrote:RWW: Mat Staver Says Kim Davis Is Not To Blame That Kentucky Has To Pay More Than $200K In Attorney’s Fees:
“It is the former liberal Democratic Gov. Beshear,” Staver asserted. “Had he [provided a religious liberty accommodation to Davis,] this case never would have gone anywhere. Had he done that, Kim Davis never would have spent any time in jail. Had he done that, the ACLU never would have had a case.”
Um, so, the right answer would have been for Beshear to say "listen, if you can't do your job, we'll find someone who can" ?

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Texas bathroom bill appears to be all but dead in special session

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/11 ... -all-dead/
Restricting bathroom use in public facilities was deemed a legislative priority by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. But House Speaker Joe Straus, with the increased backing of the business community, emerged as his most prominent foil on the issue.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 pm

A thing that amazes me about this bill is that it would result in very masculine-looking trans men having to use women's restrooms. I do not think that supporters of this bill have thought this thru. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Patrick is an embarrassment, even by Texas Republican standards.

Straus is interesting. He's a Republican, no mistaking it, but he also rose to the gavel with the help of Democrats and some of the more sensible Republicans when Delay toady Tom Craddick lost what was left of his senses. Straus was also the main roadblock for the bathroom bill during regular session. (As I recall, and possibly incorrectly, he had the bill amended into the traditional "bill full of bills we don't intend to get around to this session.")

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Today the Evangelical complementarians at the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (CBMW) released a "Nashville Statement." The mayor of Nashville was on it early and she was having none of it. Why? Because it's blatantly anti-LGBT. What's less obvious is the binary nature of the way the "Nashville Statement" sees men and women, and the fact that the statement (Article 5 and 6) obscure or deny the biological and genetic fact of intersex persons. Oh, and any Christian who isn't all about calling LGBT people to repentance is not a Christian in their minds.

Mayor Megan Berry tweeted:
The @CBMWorg's so-called "Nashville Statement" is poorly named and does not represent the inclusive values of the city & people of Nashville
She also said:
“They used Nashville in the context, and that’s not our Nashville,” Barry said. “I wanted to be very clear that was not something Nashville was coming out with.”
http://www.wsmv.com/story/36245747/mayo ... tys-values

Now, because I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time, and I wanted to prove a thought I had in my head, I copied over the 154 initial signers from the "Nashville Statement," dumped them into a spreadsheet and figured out how many were men, how many were women, and what their races were. Here's what I came out with

By Sex
Men: 139
Women: 15

By Race:
White: 136
Asian: 2
Black: 7
Hispanic: 2
Middle Eastern: 1
No Picture: 6

The vast majority of initial signers for this thing were white males at 122 persons (79.22 percent). In other words, it's a pale sausage fest. (No offense meant to white guys, I'm a 99.40 percent white person myself.)

I also believe that 99.5 percent of the signers are firmly inside the evangelical bubble, being employed by seminaries, Bible schools, married to professors, or in parachurch organizations. The only two I saw who weren't was a woman who is a lawyer for the Alliance Defending Freedom (a hate group) and a physician.

I'm still working on formatting the data set.

You can find the statement by Googling "Nashville Statement."

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 pm

When I first saw this I thought you were joking, then I realized that yes it was a joke, a very bad joke on religion, an appallingly bad joke at that. I'm actually surprised that they didn't come out with some way to say that women and minorities should get to the back of the bus and that the women should be barefoot and pregnant. I'm actually amazed that there were that many women on the panel, they must have been there to get coffee and take notes. [Sorry, this sort of thing tends to set me off and I'll be a while getting over it.]

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:When I first saw this I thought you were joking, then I realized that yes it was a joke, a very bad joke on religion, an appallingly bad joke at that. I'm actually surprised that they didn't come out with some way to say that women and minorities should get to the back of the bus and that the women should be barefoot and pregnant. I'm actually amazed that there were that many women on the panel, they must have been there to get coffee and take notes. [Sorry, this sort of thing tends to set me off and I'll be a while getting over it.]
The women are all "usual suspects." They're either spouses of male signers or known supporters of CBMW, or, in the case of Rosaria Butterworth, a former lesbian turned pastor's wife. I'm the kind of snarky person who wants to write a snail mail to Butterworth to ask her if she's a Wife or an Aunt and then refer to to Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for the definitions. Because I'm small and mean that way.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:56 pm

So I called my congresswoman (Stefanik) today, and politely asked the nice young man who answered the phone (BTW, the folks who answer the phones for Stefanik no longer give you their name) what the congresswoman's position was on the transgender military ban. He replied that the congresswoman felt that the study (?) that was being conducted by congress (?) should have been completed before action was taken. I pointed out that the Rand Corp study had concluded a year ago that there would be a minimal impact. That there were transgender members of the military who had been serving a decade or more. He repeated his statement. Since Stefanik prides herself on being pro military (it's all the fuck she talks about), I was actually surprise. I asked if she had a personal opinion. He said no. I politely expressed my personal opinion about that. Then I started posting on fb and twitter.

I've talked to this dude before. He's the one who hangs up the second you say goodbye, and never says goodbye himself. I gave my name and town, but I don't believe he took it down.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 am

mmmirele wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:When I first saw this I thought you were joking, then I realized that yes it was a joke, a very bad joke on religion, an appallingly bad joke at that. I'm actually surprised that they didn't come out with some way to say that women and minorities should get to the back of the bus and that the women should be barefoot and pregnant. I'm actually amazed that there were that many women on the panel, they must have been there to get coffee and take notes. [Sorry, this sort of thing tends to set me off and I'll be a while getting over it.]
The women are all "usual suspects." They're either spouses of male signers or known supporters of CBMW, or, in the case of Rosaria Butterworth, a former lesbian turned pastor's wife. I'm the kind of snarky person who wants to write a snail mail to Butterworth to ask her if she's a Wife or an Aunt and then refer to to Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for the definitions. Because I'm small and mean that way.
Go for it, you're undoubtedly nicer about it than I would be. I'm impressed there were even any minorities there.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:09 pm

I mentioned the Nashville Statement on Tuesday. Normally, I think these things would just drop into the sea and be forgotten, as it's not like the usual suspects haven't done this before (2009's Manhattan Declaration anyone?). However, the guys at the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood and the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention chose Tuesday, a day when most of Southeast Texas was under water, to release this thing. And they did it on top of the flaying that Joel Osteen was taking online for not opening up Lakewood Church to Harvey refugees. (Lakewood is housed in the former Summit, which hosted the 1993 and 1994 NBA Finals, so not a small place at all.)
joel osteen fears.png
One of my friends did this meme, it's gotten nearly 700,000 views so far.

Then the Nashville Statement crossed over with the #EmptyThePews movement, a group of ex-Evangelicals who have walked away and are being vocal about it and #NashvilleStatement trended pretty much all of Tuesday afternoon and evening. It also spawned at least three (four?) counter-statements which began collecting signatures by Wednesday morning.

Now, because I absolutely have nothing better to do with my life, I have spent chunks of the past several days pulling the names of the "initial signatories" and "signers" of the "Nashville Statement" off the CBMW website, putting them into a spreadsheet, and then getting some basic demographic data.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UsfZv ... hEO_wEiFAI

You would not be surprised to find out that the vast majority of the "initial signatories" and "signers" (there are 245) right now are white males (at 81.22 percent).

Now, this is the deal. The promoters of the Nashville Statement tried to put forward the idea that this was just a religious thing and they had the right to say (in Article 10, did I mention I read this thing three times?) that you can't be LGBT or an ally and still be a Christian. They might have gotten away with it, but the second batch of names which were put up since August 29 include 32 people who are heads of so-called "family" organizations. You know, the guys and gals who go down to the state legislature and lobby for "bathroom bills." So this statement, which its promoters said was not political, turns out to be a consummately political document in the end.

So I'm glad I kept an eye on these guys and put together this list, and I will keep working on the list. It's entirely too bad the guys at CBMW and ERLC won't just give me their signers in comma separated value (CSV) format; it would make my life so much easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 am

In major Supreme Court case, Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to make wedding cake for gay couple
The Department of Justice on Thursday filed a brief on behalf of baker Jack Phillips, who was found to have violated the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act by refusing to created a cake to celebrate the marriage of Charlie Craig and David Mullins in 2012. Phillips said he doesn't create wedding cakes for same-sex couples because it would violate his religious beliefs.

The government agreed with Phillips that his cakes are a form of expression, and he cannot be compelled to use his talents for something in which he does not believe.

"Forcing Phillips to create expression for and participate in a ceremony that violates his sincerely held religious beliefs invades his First Amendment rights," Acting Solicitor General Jeffrey B. Wall wrote in the brief.

The DOJ's decision to support Phillips is the latest in a series of steps the Trump administration has taken to rescind Obama administration positions favorable to gay rights and to advance new policies on the issue.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html
:madguy:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 am

Jeffy's Justice department will fight these gross injustices to the very end, of people's patience. :sarcasm:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:52 am

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph
An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

Friday 8 September 2017 00.46 BST First published on Thursday 7 September 2017 23.52 BST

Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research suggesting that machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

The study from Stanford University – which found that a computer algorithm could correctly distinguish between gay and straight men 81% of the time, and 74% for women – has raised questions about the biological origins of sexual orientation, the ethics of facial-detection technology and the potential for this kind of software to violate people’s privacy or be abused for anti-LGBT purposes.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... photograph

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:14 am

RTH10260 wrote:
New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph
An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... photograph
Gaydar goes digital!!!!!!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:35 am

Sometimes scientists should think twice about something that has stirred their curiosity. The potential for serious abuse is huge. I would suggest that the algorithm be destroyed, but now that it is known to be possible, it will be done again.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Sometimes scientists should think twice about something that has stirred their curiosity. The potential for serious abuse is huge. I would suggest that the algorithm be destroyed, but now that it is known to be possible, it will be done again.
One of the problems with this big push for 'deep learning' systems is there really isn't anything to destroy, the barrier for someone else coming up with the same thing if they want to is pretty low.

These 'find a signal in the noise' problems are very flash in the pan, they can produce really spectacular media friendly results and then be completely useless for their intended problem once you get away from their test data.

And let us also not forget that a 90% accuracy rate is pretty poor when you are talking about 3% of the population. The false positives would so overwhelm the true positives that you pretty much end up back where you started.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I wonder at the accuracy rate if human subjects were given the same test. Of course, humans wrote the program so in essence they did the testing.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Humans are now under-performing AI systems at facial recognition, according to a BBC broadcast.

Ash Carter and I once talked a bit about AI systems in the service of "Star Wars." He was not a strong believer. In fact, he told me to draw my gun if somebody says AI seriously. He may well have changed his mind since.

There is a great scifi story about AI's. I forget the author.

Humans built AI systems to manage our most mission-critical infrastructure (defense, electric power, etc.). Then we built them for systems of lesser importance, such as driving automobiles and flying airplanes. These systems were slightly larger than the earlier one. Then they decided to entrust our educational systems to AI. Still larger systems.

This process continued until the AI systems were as large as the planet despite Intel's best efforts. SO we constructed an AI system in space. Worked well, although it was vulnerable to space trash. So we figured out how to create virtual AI systems.

Then somebody noted that the newest systems had the capacity to incorporate all human minds, without the bother of sickness, death, etc. So people slowly discarded their bodies and went into an AI system.

The AI systems now had less to do and were vastly more powerful than their creator systems. So they decided to merge, observing that the heat death of the universe was approaching. The virtual AI survived that event.

The human minds were changed but still there. After several billion years they realized that they were lonely.

So the AI said "Let there be light."

Update: No lightning bolts have struck me ye

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Social Issues”