Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Karen Walker

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by Karen Walker »

Estiveo wrote:Meh, they did lock her up and it didn't really do any good. Making her pay the legal bills of the people she forced to sue her would be good. I really doubt she has the money, though. She might have to stop buying fancy clothes and getting her hair done. Oh, wait...
I meant for round two. :kiss:
Her pro-bono attorneys and wealthy benefactors can pay her debts for pushing a lost cause.
Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas »

I think I'm going to be sick. He just appointed Ken Blackwell to be in charge of his domestic policy team.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

ACLU National ‏@ACLU 58m58 minutes ago
What's next? Join us and millions of others ready to fight to protect our rights. http://www.aclu.org/readytofight
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
vic

Post by vic »

While I generally agree with the ACLU, their position on the 1978 march on Skokie made me stop contributing. I kept hearing that it was necessary to litigate to determine the boundaries of free speech, but I felt strongly that this was over any reasonable boundary. I know many disagree, but that was how I felt. At the time, the only living relatives of my parents' and grandparents' generations were those who managed to leave Europe before the start of WWII. All the others had perished.

The election changed this. I've already made a donation and become a member.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

That's before my time Vic, will look that up. Really glad you're on board.

HumanRightsCampaign ‏@HRC 5h5 hours ago

Take care of yourselves & each other. If you or someone you know is in need, use these #LGBTQ-friendly resources: http://www.hrc.org/blog/we-are-with-you ... me-of-need

If you aren't sure how to make a difference this week, start with a small donation. Mine went to @HRC and @ACLU. We can make an impact. https://give.hrc.org/ea-action/action?e ... 1448201888
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz »

Estiveo wrote:Meh, they did lock her up and it didn't really do any good. Making her pay the legal bills of the people she forced to sue her would be good. I really doubt she has the money, though. She might have to stop buying fancy clothes and getting her hair done. Oh, wait...
Kim Davis makes (by salary schedule determined by the Kentucky state legislature) approximately $80,000 per year. It's perfectly obvious that she's not spending it on personal care ( :lol: ). However, it seems to me that she is ripe (at least potentially) for this lawsuit, and the consequences. She's hardly an innocent in this (BTW, neither is Rowan County or the State of Kentucky, since they did jackshit to curtail her personal snitfit). But, as I see it, Kim Davis bears at least 50% of the responsibility (and the county and state bear the rest) for this ugly chapter in Kentucky's history. And, as I see it, she CAN afford the culpability.

And hey, if she comes up short, perhaps she could sell her hair (or better yet, donate to Locks of Love, and "fund" the contribution and any assigned legal fees via some social media funding site). I'm pretty sure God would forgive her for cutting her hair. :roll:
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16
Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Donald on 60 Minutes supportive of LGBTQ community. But he's inconsistent, he talks about overturning Roe v Wade but gay rights are "settled law". But it's way beyond what we'd have heard from President Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio. Will Donald have the power and ability to stop the Republicans since he's really a Democrat on a lot of issues? He and Chuck Schumer know each other, wouldn't be surprised if Donald gets along better with Chuck than Paul Ryan. http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic ... ck-schumer
Lesley Stahl: One of the groups that’s expressing fear are the LGBTQ group. You--

Donald Trump: And yet I mentioned them at the Republican National Convention. And--

Lesley Stahl: You did.

Donald Trump: Everybody said, “That was so great.” I have been, you know, I’ve been-a supporter.

Lesley Stahl: Well, I guess the issue for them is marriage equality. Do you support marriage equality?

Donald Trump: It-- it’s irrelevant because it was already settled. It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.

Lesley Stahl: So even if you appoint a judge that--

Donald Trump: It’s done. It-- you have-- these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And, I’m fine with that.
CBS Interview & Transcript: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes- ... ley-stahl/
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Gay rights are already settled law so he can't touch it. But Roe v Wade is not? :roll: Who can believe anything a Shitgibbon says?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
tek

Post by tek »

Lesley Stahl: Well, I guess the issue for them is marriage equality. Do you support marriage equality?

Donald Trump: It-- it’s irrelevant because it was already settled. It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.

Lesley Stahl: So even if you appoint a judge that--

Donald Trump: It’s done. It-- you have-- these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And, I’m fine with that.
Once again proving he has no idea how cases (and thus issues) get to the Supreme Court.

:brickwallsmall:
There's no way back
from there to here
Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

ACLU National ‏@ACLU 1m1 minute ago
Pat McCrory signed one of the most anti-LGBT bills into law in the country, and the voters let him know where they stood. #RepealHB2

The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: North Carolina Gov. McCrory concedes he lost re-election bid, clearing way for Democrat Cooper to be declared winner.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

:thumbs: At least there is a bit of good news.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Reality Check wrote::thumbs: At least there is a bit of good news.
:yeah:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:yeah: One down 32 to go...
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Clairez

Post by Clairez »

:thumbs: One down, too many more to go.
Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Why Pat McCrory Lost and What It Means in Trump's America

Pat McCrory's now official defeat in the race for Governor of North Carolina has real implications for the progressive movement nationally in the era of Trump. The dominant reason given for McCrory's defeat will be the unpopularity of HB2, and certainly that played an important role. In August we found that only 30% of voters in the state supported it, and that McCrory's handling of the issue made them less likely to vote for him by a 12 point margin. If he'd vetoed it, he very well might have been reelected.
What happened in the summer of 2013 to make McCrory so permanently unpopular? He allowed himself to be associated with a bunch of unpopular legislation, and progressives hit back HARD, in a way that really caught voters' attention and resonated with them.

Medicaid Expansion? 56% of voters wanted it to move forward, only 26% wanted it blocked. Sneaking in abortion legislation by putting it in a bill about motorcycle safety? 8% of voters supported that, 80% opposed it. Guns in bars? 17% in support, 73% opposed. Guns in parks? 29% in support, 65% opposed. Guns on college campuses? 25% in support, 69% opposed. Eliminate the Earned Income Tax Credit? Only 30% of voters wanted to do that, 42% thought it should be kept. Cut unemployment benefits? Only 29% of voters agreed with changes in the law, 55% were opposed. Reduce the early voting period in North Carolina by a week? Just 33% of voters wanted to do that, 59% were against it. Straight party ticket voting? 68% of voters wanted it continued, only 21% wanted it eliminated.

McCrory spearheaded or went along with all of this. And he might have gotten away with it without much impact on his image. Most voters don't pay close attention to state government. But the Moral Monday movement pushed back hard. Its constant visibility forced all of these issues to stay in the headlines. Its efforts ensured that voters in the state were educated about what was going on in Raleigh, and as voters became aware of what was going on, they got mad.
Pushing back hard on McCrory worked. The seeds of his final defeat today were very much planted in the summer of 2013. And it's a lesson for progressives in dealing with Trump. Push back hard from day one. Be visible. Capture the public's attention, no matter what you have to do to do it. Don't count on the media to do it itself because the media will let you down. The protesters in North Carolina, by making news in their own right week after week after week, forced sustained coverage of what was going on in Raleigh. And even though it was certainly a long game, with plenty more frustration in between, those efforts led to change at the polls 42 months after they really started. Keep Pounding.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... erica.html
Dr. Blue

Post by Dr. Blue »

And from the state of Kim Davis, at least a little sanity from the governor.

From Kentucky governor blasts HB2-style bathroom bill as ‘silly’
Gov. Matt Bevin said Friday he does not think a bill to determine where transgender people use the bathroom should be considered in the upcoming legislative session.

“Why? Why would we? Why would anybody need it? Is it an issue? Is there anyone you know in Kentucky who has trouble going to the bathroom?” Bevin said at a news conference Friday to talk about his first year in office and the upcoming year. “Seriously. Have you heard of one person in Kentucky having trouble taking care of business in Kentucky?”
I don't think Bevin is going to get an LGBT-supporter award, but at least he's sensible enough to avoid this - or maybe sensible enough to see what it did to Gov. McCrory in NC.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Thanks, Orlylicious, for the McCrory analysis. That's a very important lesson, maybe THE important lesson for the next few years. Push back, hard, and don't stop.

Olbermann can be the cheerleader of this movement. He's only been practicing stridency up to now. Now, he's got it down. :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary »

Dr. Blue wrote:And from the state of Kim Davis, at least a little sanity from the governor.

From Kentucky governor blasts HB2-style bathroom bill as ‘silly’
Gov. Matt Bevin said Friday he does not think a bill to determine where transgender people use the bathroom should be considered in the upcoming legislative session.

“Why? Why would we? Why would anybody need it? Is it an issue? Is there anyone you know in Kentucky who has trouble going to the bathroom?” Bevin said at a news conference Friday to talk about his first year in office and the upcoming year. “Seriously. Have you heard of one person in Kentucky having trouble taking care of business in Kentucky?”
I don't think Bevin is going to get an LGBT-supporter award, but at least he's sensible enough to avoid this - or maybe sensible enough to see what it did to Gov. McCrory in NC.

As the latest place that I reside, there is little I agree with the current governor. Except this.

I guess there is hope. Very little but atleast there is this I can smile about.
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams
Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite »

I was reading a story about Trump questioning the merits of early voting and came across this comment from a Trump supporter:
Phil Whelan
Raymond Hamilton fact,s you want fact, well the fact is that you fairy loveing maggots lost and half the country is done with all your fing all inclucive society with its safe spaces
"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC
Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

I appreciate that Ivanka and Jared helped to quash this for now but it's going to be a fight every day. The #GaysForTrump kids really piss me off, we worked way too hard for so many years and they turn around and support a bigoted administration. :evil:
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner worked to sink LGBT order
Members of the religious right with ties to the Trump administration say they have been led to believe that some changes will still be coming.
By Annie Karni 02/03/17 02:16 PM EST Updated 02/03/17 04:42 PM EST

Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump helped lead the charge to scuttle a draft executive order that would have overturned Obama-era enforcements of LGBT rights in the workplace, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told POLITICO. A draft executive order on LGBT rights that outlines how to roll back former President Barack Obama’s protections and expand legal exemptions based on religious beliefs has been circulating among journalists and worried progressive groups this week. But two sources close to Kushner and Ivanka Trump, who have a record of supporting gay rights, said the couple favored putting out a clear statement from the president, promising to uphold the 2014 Obama executive order and stopping the momentum for the turnaround in its tracks.
But the statement did not quash the chatter completely. Members of the religious right with ties to the Trump administration said they have been led to believe that some changes will still be forthcoming. “I think they’re going to address the conflict that exists currently, which would preclude religious organizations from contracting with the federal government,” Tony Perkins, CEO of the Family Research Council, said in an interview. “I feel confident that they have an appreciation of religious freedom, and I’m pretty certain they’re going to address it. I’m talking to people in the Trump administration, and I know they understand the importance of this.”

Perkins said that Vice President Mike Pence has been involved and is “clearly sensitive to this.” If so, the fight over LGBT rights could reveal a fault line between Pence, an evangelical Christian who as governor of Indiana signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in 2015; and Kushner, who is Jewish and whose social circle includes socially progressive New Yorkers. “There are some in Trump’s family that have some views on these things,” said a source close to the discussions. “That’s where the decision is ultimately being made.”

Democratic groups like the nonprofit Center for American Progress are also continuing to oppose changes they think could still come. “If accurate, this executive order would sanction sweeping taxpayer-funded discrimination against LGBT people, women, and their families in blatant violation of Trump’s promise to ‘protect our LGBT citizens,’” said Winnie Stachelberg, executive vice president for external affairs at CAP. Stachelberg said the White House statement left open a channel to broaden religious exemptions that prevent gay and transgender individuals from getting health care, or fostering a child.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/i ... der-234617
Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Yay!
Judge orders Alabama to pay out big bucks over same-sex marriage fight
By Associated Press · Friday, February 3, 2017

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — A federal judge is ordering the state of Alabama to pay $315,000 in fees over the state’s losing court fight about gay marriage.

The order by U.S. District Judge Callie Granade of Mobile says the state should pay fees and other costs to lawyers who fought to allow same-sex marriage in the state.

The Alabama attorney general’s office declined comment Thursday on the order, which was issued Jan. 20.

Most Alabama counties are now issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples because of a U.S. Supreme Court decision, but it took lawsuits to make that happen after the U.S. Supreme Court effectively legalized gay marriage nationwide.

The money will goes to groups including the Montgomery-based Southern Poverty Law Center, where attorney Scott McCoy says Alabama’s resistance to gay marriage cost taxpayers.
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/02/judg ... mpaign=RSS
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Orlylicious wrote:Yay!
Judge orders Alabama to pay out big bucks over same-sex marriage fight
By Associated Press · Friday, February 3, 2017

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — A federal judge is ordering the state of Alabama to pay $315,000 in fees over the state’s losing court fight about gay marriage.

The order by U.S. District Judge Callie Granade of Mobile says the state should pay fees and other costs to lawyers who fought to allow same-sex marriage in the state.

The Alabama attorney general’s office declined comment Thursday on the order, which was issued Jan. 20.
:snippity:
The money will goes to groups including the Montgomery-based Southern Poverty Law Center, where attorney Scott McCoy says Alabama’s resistance to gay marriage cost taxpayers.
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/02/judg ... mpaign=RSS
As a former civil rights lawyer, and just plain old lawyer, fee awards brighten my day!!!! :happydance: :happydance:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary »

:dance: so happy to hear! Screw people trying to stop love and equality.
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams
bob

Post by bob »

NYT: Florist Discriminated Against Gay Couple, Washington Supreme Court Rules:
A florist who refused to sell flowers for a same-sex wedding cannot claim religious belief as a defense under the state’s anti-discrimination laws, Washington’s high court said Thursday, in a case that has been watched around the nation by religious and civil rights groups.

The unanimous ruling by the nine-member state Supreme Court, which a lawyer for the florist said would be appealed to the United States Supreme Court, addressed sweeping questions about public accommodation, artistic expression and free speech.

The case, the court said in its 59-page decision, “is no more about access to flowers than civil rights cases in the 1960s were about access to sandwiches.” And laws, the decision said, can have legitimate social goals. “Public accommodations laws do not simply guarantee access to goods or services,” it said. “Instead, they serve a broader societal purpose: eradicating barriers to the equal treatment of all citizens.”

Because a flower arrangement is an artistic expression, Ms. Waggoner [the florist] said, the court effectively ruled that the state could regulate, with punitive government authority, what artists may sell.

“All creative professional expression is at risk,” Ms. Waggoner said in a telephone call with reporters.

Ms. Stutzman and her lawyers, using dictionary definitions of “art” as well as expert testimony regarding her creativity and expressive style, argued for a broad reading of protected speech that encompassed her “unique expression,” crafted in “petal, leaf and loam.”

The justices rejected that argument. In looking at what sorts of conduct or service constitute free speech, protected under the Constitution, they found that even if Ms. Stutzman was artistic in her flower arrangements, the statements she made in selling the arrangements were not protected free speech, as defined by the United States Supreme Court.

Ms. Stutzman herself, the court said, contradicted the argument that wedding flowers were a statement when she said in a deposition that providing flowers for a wedding between Muslims would not necessarily constitute an endorsement of Islam, nor would providing flowers for an atheist couple endorse atheism.

“Arlene’s Flowers is not required to sell wedding flowers,” Mr. Ferguson said. “They are, however, required to sell wedding flowers equally if they choose to sell them.” The ruling, he said, sends a clear message that “sexual orientation is a protected class — just like race, just like religion.”
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

What part of public accommodation is unclear to these people?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “Social Issues”