Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by Foggy »

I smell a rat.
You're alone in a room, and you smell a rat. :point:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
bob

Post by bob »

FOX: Texas, 12 states to ask judge to stall Obama transgender bathroom order:
Some 13 states led by Texas will ask a federal judge Friday to halt the Obama administration's order to allow transgender students in U.S. public schools to use the restrooms of their choice.

The hearing in Fort Worth is the latest in the battle between the federal government and various states opposed to the policy change. U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor will hear arguments over the states’ request for a preliminary injunction to halt the Obama directive just weeks before school re-opens for the fall. It is not knowwn when the judge might issue a ruling.

[ * * * ]

The other states involved are Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Meanwhile, other states last month launched a similar suit to stop the new bathroom policy in public schools. They are: Arkansas, Kansas, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming.
Given Courtesy's Steve vote in the Virginia case before SCOTUS, I would not be surprised if other district judges followed suit and granted preliminary injunctions as well.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

I'll see your bad news with some good news today :thumbs:
MISSISSIPPI: Federal Court Rejects State’s Bid To Enforce Anti-LGBT Hate Law During Appeal Process

A federal appeals court on Friday denied Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant’s request that the state be allowed to enforce a recently passed anti-LGBT religious exemption law while the state appeals a trial court’s order halting enforcement of that law.
http://www.joemygod.com/2016/08/12/miss ... -hate-law/
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

BillTheCat wrote:I'll see your bad news with some good news today :thumbs:
MISSISSIPPI: Federal Court Rejects State’s Bid To Enforce Anti-LGBT Hate Law During Appeal Process

A federal appeals court on Friday denied Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant’s request that the state be allowed to enforce a recently passed anti-LGBT religious exemption law while the state appeals a trial court’s order halting enforcement of that law.
http://www.joemygod.com/2016/08/12/miss ... -hate-law/
They left out the part about our AG refusing to appeal the stay, so Guv Philbilly just hired his own lawyer to pursue it.
bob

Post by bob »

USA Today: Judge in Texas blocks Obama transgender bathroom rules:
A federal judge in Texas has sided with school districts opposing the Obama administration's directive on transgender bathrooms, temporarily blocking the directive just before on the first day of school in Texas Monday.

[ * * * ]

U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor's 38-page order said federal agencies exceeded their authority under the 1972 law banning sex discrimination in schools. The injunction applies nationwide, and follows a number of other recent court rulings against transgender students and employees.

[ * * * ]

The decision is at least the third legal setback for transgender rights in federal court this month. The U.S. Supreme Court blocked a lower court ruling requiring a Virginia school district to allow a biologically female transgender student to use the boy's restroom on Aug. 3. And last Thursday, a federal judge in Detroit upheld the firing of a transgender funeral home employee, ruling that "neither transgender status nor gender identity are protected classes" under anti-discrimination laws.
O'Connor is a GWB nominee.
BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

I continue to hate Texas with a burning passion.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

BillTheCat wrote:I continue to hate Texas with a burning passion.
The federal judges pretty much are awful. I can't wait for the state to turn purple and destroy Republican dreams.
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

New York Times Aug. 26 2016 Out Late With Oliver Sacks by Bill Hayes
By now, an hour after our arrival, the bar was jammed, the music getting loud, and for Oliver’s comfort and safety we thought it best to leave. We said our goodbyes and stepped outside. But a number of men followed us out onto the sidewalk. Questions came: How are you doing, Dr. Sacks? How are you feeling? What are you working on? What was Robin Williams like when you filmed “Awakenings”? What’s the most bizarre case you ever had? And so on.

Oliver propped himself against a streetlamp pole. A semicircle had formed around him (Troy and his boyfriend among them). He chatted and answered questions with élan for half an hour then signaled to me with his eyes that he was ready to go — exhausted, I could tell.

Not long after this night, we would learn that the metastases in his liver had spread to other organs, making his prognosis even more dire than we had expected. We had hoped he might have another six months at least.

Oliver took my arm, and we slowly walked home.

“Well, that was very nice,” he said, “very congenial indeed.”

I agreed. “Maybe we’ll go back again some night.”

Oliver thought about this for a moment. “No, that was enough for me,” he said. “That was perfect.”
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary »

Just for a touch of happiness. It's a step atleast. F@ck NC Gov. I'm glad I moved to Cali when he moved into office.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/judge-b ... trans-hb2/
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams
Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

TollandRCR wrote:Yes, Pastor Gallups, and be sure to turn up at your polling place on November 4 9.
:fingerwag: Don't be trying to fool the Pastor.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.
Dr. Blue

Post by Dr. Blue »

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:Just for a touch of happiness. It's a step atleast. F@ck NC Gov. I'm glad I moved to Cali when he moved into office.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/judge-b ... trans-hb2/
From the article:
North Carolina’s university system must allow two transgender students and a transgender employee to use bathrooms matching their gender identity, a U.S. judge ruled on Friday, in a partial victory for those fighting the state’s restrictive restroom law.
Which isn't really such a victory, since the UNC system said it wouldn't enforce HB2 anyway. I suppose this (at least temporarily) removes the possibility that the politicos could come in and try to force the matter at universities, but I'm not sure how much of a realistic threat that was. Basically, state universities were almost completely ignoring the ridiculousness out of Raleigh with HB2.

As noted in a different story on the same ruling - http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politi ... 80087.html
UNC President Margaret Spellings has said the UNC system does not plan to enforce HB2, noting that the law contains no enforcement measures.
And that's Margaret Spellings.... conservative cog from the George W. Bush administration who received a lot of flack for her anti-gay remarks a few years back.

When the conservatives pass laws that are too extreme for Margaret Spellings to take seriously, you know they've gone off the deep end.
Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Saw this in regular news:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2937373/12-ye ... rotesters/

12-year-old Mexican boy stands up to thousands of anti-LGBTQ protesters

“At first I thought the child was only playing,” Rodriguez said in an interview with the publication Regeneración.

But when he later caught up with the boy and asked why he did what he did, he told Rodriguez, “I have an uncle who is gay and I hate people that hate.”
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:Saw this in regular news:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2937373/12-ye ... rotesters/

12-year-old Mexican boy stands up to thousands of anti-LGBTQ protesters

“At first I thought the child was only playing,” Rodriguez said in an interview with the publication Regeneración.

But when he later caught up with the boy and asked why he did what he did, he told Rodriguez, “I have an uncle who is gay and I hate people that hate.”
This kid is my new hero. I get warm fuzzies about the human race when I hear about this kind of thing.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

This is what a hero looks like:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Chinese students have started coming to the U.S. for their undergraduate educations. We have had large numbers in graduate programs and a few in undergraduate programs for many years, but the past decade has seen a big change.

Many of them take my course on The Developing World. One of the points that I make when I discuss China is that China's human rights record may be a hindrance to its continued socioeconomic development.

Most of them have never been taught about the Tienanmen Square massacre of 1989. They have not seen the video of the man with the bags facing the tanks. I never will press any student on their reaction to that or any other sensitive subject, but I have suspected that they are shocked. The full video is even more impressive. It is now believed that the man survived the encounter but may have been incarcerated for years.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Hillary Clinton ‏@HillaryClinton 56s 56 seconds ago

Coming out often takes incredible courage. On #NationalComingOutDay, let's honor that courage by showing LGBT Americans we're with them.

Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

When Fox gets done with it, it'll read "Hillary, speaking about the GLBT community: 'I am one of them.'"
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This popped up in my twitter feed and I had to laugh.

What Bruce Jenner looks like now is incredible.

and yes, it is an ad for one of those sites. :roll:
bob

Post by bob »

No surprise: cert. granted in the school-bathroom case (in which Breyer had already all but announced the grant).
bob

Post by bob »

Lexington Herald Leader: Couples who sued Kim Davis to get married now want to hand her the bill:
Attorneys for the couples who sued Davis last year to get marriage licenses have asked U.S. District Judge David Bunning for an order letting them recoup $233,058 in legal fees and costs. Their lawsuit went to the U.S. Supreme Court and back, with Davis losing at every step and even going to jail for five days on contempt charges, before the Kentucky legislature made the point moot in April by changing the state’s marriage licenses to remove county clerks’ names.

In a response filed Monday, Davis’ lawyers urged Bunning to deny the request for legal fees. The couples did not prevail against Davis in the case, which was resolved in the legislature rather than a courtroom, wrote Roger K. Gannam of Liberty Counsel, the religious advocacy organization that has represented Davis. Since the couples did not prevail, their lawyers are not entitled to hand someone else the bill for their fees, Gannam wrote.

Separately, Rowan County filed a response saying that whatever Bunning decides about legal fees, the county government should not be forced to pay anything. Davis — an elected official — did not act on behalf of Rowan County when she refused to issue marriage licenses, and the county’s fiscal court did not control the internal operations of her office, wrote Jeffrey C. Mando, an attorney for Rowan County.
Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary »

Do any of the IAAL types have any ideas how this might work out?

IANAL but I would like those fine people to recoup their money. That whole situation was BS.
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams
Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker »

"Lock her up! Lock her up!"
IMG_2847.PNG
(too soon? :bag: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Meh, they did lock her up and it didn't really do any good. Making her pay the legal bills of the people she forced to sue her would be good. I really doubt she has the money, though. She might have to stop buying fancy clothes and getting her hair done. Oh, wait...
Image Image Image Image Image
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Karen Walker wrote:
"Lock her up! Lock her up!"
IMG_2847.PNG
(too soon? :bag: )
NO, not too soon! I'd say more like...not soon enough.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Estiveo wrote:Meh, they did lock her up and it didn't really do any good. Making her pay the legal bills of the people she forced to sue her would be good. I really doubt she has the money, though. She might have to stop buying fancy clothes and getting her hair done. Oh, wait...
:rotflmao:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Social Issues”