Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

magdalen77

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by magdalen77 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:11 pm

That's good news since Boyertown is just a hop, skip and a jump from me. And kind of surprising since it has the rep of being a conservative place.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm

:thumbs: This is one hopeful sign... I think the courts are aware of the mood of the nation and they know that judicial enforcement is based on trust. It's clear people are moving in a more tolerant direction... so these rulings on abortion, gay rights etc have to take that into account. It would be hilarious if after all these decades, now that they have their team running things, they still lose. I bet they will, can't take rights away. I'm an optimist.
Michael Levin, counsel for the school district, said the Supreme Court recognized the case wasn't worthy of further review and "understood the false narrative that is being repeated by the Plaintiffs that their privacy rights were violated."

"The Boyertown Area School District provides private bathrooms and locker rooms to all students who do not feel comfortable sharing such (spaces) with others, transgender or cisgender," Levin said in a statement. "The school district’s approach to offer separate and private bathrooms, locker rooms and private spaces to students who desire greater privacy is the common-sense approach that the Plaintiffs claim that they want.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... cy-1345367

If these idiots don't understand Trans kids are scared as hell and just want to change privately according to their gender, voters will help remind them. The stupid bathroom bill guy from NC is back on the ballot, we need to turn out and turn this around!
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Tue May 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm
:thumbs: This is one hopeful sign... I think the courts are aware of the mood of the nation and they know that judicial enforcement is based on trust. It's clear people are moving in a more tolerant direction... so these rulings on abortion, gay rights etc have to take that into account. It would be hilarious if after all these decades, now that they have their team running things, they still lose. I bet they will, can't take rights away. I'm an optimist.
I wish I shared your optimism. Every week people are murdered just for being trans and I see nothing but daily attacks on the very right to existence as trans—or more broadly LB or G—and at best a kind of bemused tolerance even among liberals. They can marry now, how badly off can they actually be? Like so much in 2019, it's as if people just can't grasp how bad things already are and how much worse they can get.

Anyway, sorry to be the sourpuss, certainly the SCOTUS news is good news!
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
If these idiots don't understand Trans kids are scared as hell and just want to change privately according to their gender, voters will help remind them.
These idiots will shamelessly pander to voters who believe bathrooms laws give license to men in dresses to molest their daughters.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Tue May 28, 2019 7:50 pm

bob wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
If these idiots don't understand Trans kids are scared as hell and just want to change privately according to their gender, voters will help remind them.
These idiots will shamelessly pander to voters who believe bathrooms laws give license to men in dresses to molest their daughters.
We vastly outnumber them if people will just get off their asses and vote! We're helping out with DNC registration drives already, it's about reaching voters who have tuned out.

History will remember this moment, look at this polling. I'm blown away that even 36% are sure we're ready for a generic gay President. I can't help but be optimistic! Do bathroom bills to your peril, GOP, it's NOT what the majority of the country wants. Push it all out GOP, let's run on these issues.

Gay Polling.JPG

https://www.pollingreport.com/lgbt.htm

And that's my hopeful point... would courts really rule against something overwhelming like this? Would Roberts want to take the court down in that way? He hasn't yet and it seems like he gets that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:54 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
I wish I shared your optimism. Every week people are murdered just for being trans and I see nothing but daily attacks on the very right to existence as trans—or more broadly LB or G—and at best a kind of bemused tolerance even among liberals. They can marry now, how badly off can they actually be? Like so much in 2019, it's as if people just can't grasp how bad things already are and how much worse they can get.

Anyway, sorry to be the sourpuss, certainly the SCOTUS news is good news!
As a liberal who has a personal network of many dozens of liberals, that is rubbish. We have worked quite hard for a very long time to support and promote the progression towards equality for our gay, trans, and so on brothers and sisters, so please don’t marginalize our efforts.

We have done so in rooms and in commentary where haters can be found. Our dedication to gay friends and family members has cost us. This was no “bemused tolerance.” This was a serious struggle to make humanity more humane.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue May 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Thank you RS and thanks to everyone, it's always been about hearts and minds. Honestly, I've never seen bemused tolerance, people have been supportive loudly or quietly but if they were for gay rights, they helped change hearts and minds and we'll always be grateful. For me, after Ellen, the turning point was this documentary based on Shane's YouTube diaries. It was in 2013, incredible it's been six years. From Bridegroom to a presidential candidate is, as Foggy would say, beyond my imagination. All support and encouragement is welcome! :P

Bridegroom
R 2013 ‧ Documentary ‧ 1h 21m
82% Rotten Tomatoes
89% liked this movie Google users
After his beloved partner, Tom, dies from injuries suffered in a fall, Shane Bitney Crone is barred from the funeral by Tom's family.
Initial release: April 23, 2013
Director: Linda Bloodworth-Thomason
Budget: 385,000 USD
Cast: Shane Bitney Crone, Cindy Bitney, David Crone, MORE
Producers: Shane Bitney Crone, Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, Ron White, Allen Crowe
Awards: GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Documentary

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Wed May 29, 2019 10:42 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 pm
As a liberal who has a personal network of many dozens of liberals, that is rubbish. We have worked quite hard for a very long time to support and promote the progression towards equality for our gay, trans, and so on brothers and sisters, so please don’t marginalize our efforts.
Hey, I'm not trying to call anyone out here. If "bemused tolerance" doesn't describe you or your friends, then great! Thanks! But, shit, I tried and failed to convince several people on this very forum that the word "tranny" wasn't as HEE-LARIOUS as they thought it was, so, you know, wag me no finger-wags. And meanwhile, liberal/centrist publications like the Guardian, the Atlantic, and the Economist still routinely run pieces that range from actual transphobic garbage to merely putting a trans person's right to exist up for debate and scores of otherwise left/liberal writers/pundits/academics routinely opine on the threat trans people are to women or to feminism or to the LBGTQ community itself or simply dismiss it all as "identity politics."

So, yeah, there's been lots of progress—well, done, everybody!—and if you're as cute and adorable as Pete Buttigieg, you even get to run for President (notwithstanding the fact that Pete could still be fired in about half the States in the country—and might yet be depending on the outcome of Bostock v. Clayton County/Zarda v. Altitude Express/R.G. and G.R. Harris Funeral Homes Inc. v. EEOC), but when I look around, I think "bemused tolerance" puts it charitably in lots of places. It certainly isn't "rubbish."

sorry /angry queer rant off

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 am

Maybe you need to listen to people, not pundits.

Also, folks here often quote terms used by people we're lambasting, and I wouldn't be surprised if that explains the use of "tranny." For instance, the word is often used here as a stand-in for "tyranny," taken from a RWNJ's hilariously misspelled handmade protest sign. (He was in fact protesting tyranny, by the way.)
X3

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 am
Maybe you need to listen to people, not pundits.
Hey, you know, you're right. Everything's great! It's all great! And most importantly, YOU'RE GREAT!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 29, 2019 10:51 am

Seriously, journalists who claim to speak for "liberals" are often way off the mark regarding the majority of real people, if me and my friends are any measure.

Of course things are not totally wonderful. But why alienate allies? You know, those of us who work for progress.
X3

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu May 30, 2019 1:31 am

Everybody's heart is in the right place here and that's what matters. The change in the last 8-10 years has been astonishing and I'm so happy for the young people coming up with a bit less fear. Theres tons of work to do, but it can only happen as fast as hearts and minds change. As we see from the survey, it's probably the fastest major social change America's ever had. I'm grateful.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:03 am

crosspost
Trump administration announces rollback of health care regulations protecting LGBTQ people
BY EMILY TILLETT
UPDATED ON: MAY 24, 2019 / 2:43 PM / CBS NEWS

The Health and Human Services Department (HHS) announced Friday that it is proposing a rule that would change a regulation under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) that expanded anti-discrimination protections to transgender individuals.

The new regulation would change the 2016 rule that banned discrimination -- on the basis of sex and against trangender people -- by health care providers that receive federal funding.

In a release announcing the proposed change, HHS pointed to a Texas judge's December 2016 injunction that kept the Obama-era rule from being implemented. U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor sided with the state of Texas and other plaintiffs who argued that the Obama rule would force health care providers and insurers to enable transgender people to be treated and get coverage for gender transitions and abortions, despite their religious beliefs or against their medical judgment.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tran ... tq-people/

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:41 pm

These are the idiots around Donald, he and his family have been pro gay rights forever, they are New Yorkers. This is what's worrisome... all these right wingers around Donald are doing this shit and he probably has no idea. My friends are very close with Jarvanka, I'll ask what the fuck is going on with this. If Pete keeps doing well, watch how Donald & Co. suddenly LOVE the gays.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:41 pm
These are the idiots around Donald, he and his family have been pro gay rights forever, they are New Yorkers. This is what's worrisome...
No, they never were. They were never allies. They are opportunists.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Respectfully Neon, I know for a fact Jarvanka have been cool... Jared brother invested in my buddy's wife's business, I can't go into details but believe me, they've been on our side. Donald I'm not as sure, but he was fine with me, to be in entertainment or NY real estate, you need our help :)

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 pm

The fight for LGBT rights is slowing progressing. By happenstance, Elin and Midori are old friends of mine in Japan...
After gender change, a bureaucratic brick wall in Japan

Under Japanese law, transgender people can only change their gender markers if they meet certain conditions, including being unmarried, having no minor children, and having no reproductive capacity.

A Supreme Court decision recently upheld those conditions, which can require transgender people to effectively undergo sterilisation in order to change their documents.

But McCready changed her documents abroad and her marriage has long been registered in Japan, so she finds herself in an apparently unique situation.

- 'I have a responsibility -

Her status as a permanent resident means she isn't at risk of deportation if recognition of her marriage changes.

"I'm in a position to make the challenge... So I feel I have a responsibility to everybody else," she said, as her youngest son Tyler played video games behind her.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gender-chang ... 48788.html
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:58 am

Thank you for sharing that, amazing story! You have awesome friends, proud of them. But Japan wow, this must be totally tying the government up. That story was from Feb 2019, this poll is where it's headed:
Last month a poll in Japan found 78 percent of people aged between 20 and 59 support recognition of gay marriage.

But support drops off among older people, which is significant in Japan's ageing society. And for now there is little sign of legislative change.

She's going to be a lightning rod, she called it, won't be easy, Japan. I've been around there my whole life, nobody is going to want to be responsible. Looked to see what's up lately, here's a few days ago, go Elin!!! :thumbs:

I'll send this to my friends there but they probably know already. I bet the government will weasel out and make a gaijin (foreigner) rule.
Trans woman refused entry to Tokyo’s biggest women-only night
Reiss Smith 31st May 2019, 3:21 PM
Elin McCready was refused entry to Gold Finger. (Ana Arriola/Yasuko Tadokoro)

Gold Finger, a Japanese women-only event, has been accused of denying entry to transgender women.

Gold Finger bills itself as “Japan’s hottest, biggest and longest-running fantasy club event since 1991,” but in recent weeks its slogan has gained a sour footnote: “women (cisgender) only.”

Elin McCready, an American trans woman living in Tokyo, attempted to visit Gold Finger in April to support a friend who was playing a DJ set.

“When she invited me I told her that I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get in, because I’m not a cis woman,” McCready wrote in a widely-shared Twitter statement.
More: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/05/31/g ... -mccready/

She's active on Twitter: https://twitter.com/elinmccready

She's awesome, go get em! :boxing:

Off Topic
Aww, in thinking about this story and looking around, discovered one of my dear friends who was a cultural (and political) force in Japan for decades passed last year. The little devil, he was 87, I had no idea that liar :lol:). Met Bill in Tokyo when I was in Japan in 1985 (I was 20), still spoke with him every few years, he visited me in NYC. A bigger than life guy. He ran ultra popular places (not always of the highest quality, like the Lexington Queen, ;) because American stars literally had no idea where to go in Japan. And brilliantly, Bill invited both US military (he helped them get the train from Yokohama to Tokyo) and gorgeous "Foreign" models (Americans, French, awesome girls). That worked out well :P.

Bill had 2 rules: No drugs and no arranging sex. Otherwise, bring it on bigly! He was so funny and always whipping the camera out, he was a force of nature. He has photos with EVERYONE. Bill Ireton, who used to run Warner Japan, put this tribute together, it's really wonderful if you'd like to read a crazy American story. And there are some great pics. Gonna miss you Bill! Thanks all for letting me pay a little tribute to a truly unique and fun guy.
Bill Hersey, man about Tokyo, 1930-2018: some tributes
BY MARK SCHILLING CONTRIBUTING WRITER
JUN 20, 2018

Bill Hersey, who died on March 14 at age 87, was a fixture on the Tokyo social and entertainment scene for decades, covering everything from openings of Hollywood movies to embassy parties for the Tokyo Weekender, a pioneering free city magazine launched in 1970 by Corky Alexander.

Though “society columnist” was the label most often applied to him, Bill had many other job titles after first arriving in Japan in 1962, including fashion editor for the men’s magazines Heibon Punch and Shukan Playboy, fashion columnist for The Japan Times, travel writer for the Weekender and other publications and, starring in 1978, public relations agent for A-Project, a club and restaurant management company. Bill’s best-known association, however, was with the Lexington Queen, a Roppongi club he turned into a hang-out zone for seemingly every celebrity who passed through Tokyo.

Bill commemorated these and other interactions with thousands of photographs, nearly 1,800 of which were displayed at memorial service and party held at the Tokyo American Club last month. No captions were used and, in many cases, needed, since the faces posing with Bill were so famous: Liza Minnelli, Sylvester Stallone, Rod Stewart, Leonardo DiCaprio, Akira Kurosawa, Shintaro Katsu, Jimmy Carter and, in one early photo, Richard Nixon.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/ ... PNt_xZKi70

One of the tributes and it's totally true:
Timothy Langley
Drew up Bill’s last will and testament

People like us who live and work in Tokyo do so easily and effortlessly only because those who went before us cleared the path.

In terms of Roppongi nightlife and the long conga line of the rich and famous that passed through Tokyo, Bill Hersey stood at the pinnacle among pathfinders, to our benefit.

Bill felt he was actually creating history and documented all his shenanigans, hob-nobbings, party-arrangings and club-runnings into a massive collection of photographs and memorabilia. Bill’s involvement in the Roppongi scene and in the global entertainment world found in Tokyo was simply unmatched. He will be greatly missed.

Occupational hazard: Bill Hersey gets a kiss from rocker Rod Stewart (right).

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:56 am

Thanks! Yes, I am so proud of them!! I didn't mention the nightclub stuff because I am not sure exactly what is going on - I really don't think TERF-related thinking exists much in Japan, so hopefully unrelated...I think Elin and Midori might be moving to gay-marriage friendly Shibuya. I will post updates as necessary!
I don't think I have heard of Bill Hersey - Thanks!
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:41 pm
These are the idiots around Donald, he and his family have been pro gay rights forever, they are New Yorkers. This is what's worrisome... all these right wingers around Donald are doing this shit and he probably has no idea.
You can't possibly be serious. The only rights the Trumps care for are their own. They've always been that way. It's ludicrous to believe that they have some special devotion to the rights of LGBTQ people. I mean, sure, they're rich New Yorkers, they probably know lots of rich gay people. Maybe they've even been to a fundraiser or three. But absent the "rich" part and absent New York, J & I are just another straight couple for whom queer lives are as consumable and as disposable as everything else. (They probably love Drag Race, too.)

(And Donald's even worse, I imagine. I ain't buying a brutal misogynist and toxic masculinity-worshipper as a devotee of gay anything and I ain't buying the Brooklyn Bridge, either. :nope: :nope:)

The only thing the Trumps, the GOP, and their fascist allies are devoted to is the elimination and/or oppression of everyone who isn't a white cishet dude.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Maybe they're only guilty of "bemused tolerance."

Zut alors! 8-)
X3

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:35 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:03 pm
Maybe they're only guilty of "bemused tolerance."
Highly doubtful. I’ve been informed that no such thing exists

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner worked to sink LGBT order
Members of the religious right with ties to the Trump administration say they have been led to believe that some changes will still be coming.
By ANNIE KARNI 02/03/2017 02:16 PM EST Updated 02/03/2017 04:42 PM EST

Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump helped lead the charge to scuttle a draft executive order that would have overturned Obama-era enforcements of LGBT rights in the workplace, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told POLITICO.

A draft executive order on LGBT rights that outlines how to roll back former President Barack Obama’s protections and expand legal exemptions based on religious beliefs has been circulating among journalists and worried progressive groups this week.

But two sources close to Kushner and Ivanka Trump, who have a record of supporting gay rights, said the couple favored putting out a clear statement from the president, promising to uphold the 2014 Obama executive order and stopping the momentum for the turnaround in its tracks.
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ ... der-234617

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:53 pm

I might say that this might put Jarvanka in the path of the bus, but DJT is already half a lap around the goldfish bowl and everything is new again.
There's no way back
from there to here

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner worked to sink LGBT order
Members of the religious right with ties to the Trump administration say they have been led to believe that some changes will still be coming.
By ANNIE KARNI 02/03/2017 02:16 PM EST Updated 02/03/2017 04:42 PM EST
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ ... der-234617
I can’t believe that we’re three years into this hellish regime and people are still writing “so-and-so is secretly trying to moderate Trump” stories and I REALLY can’t believe that anyone still takes any of them seriously

Return to “Social Issues”