Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Senator Joe Manchin, D, WV

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Senator Joe Manchin, D, WV

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-man ... ter-2021-3
In a democracy, 50% plus one equals a governing majority. But in the US Senate, it takes 60 votes — or arcane maneuvers like budget "reconciliation" — to get much of anything done thanks to the filibuster, a Senate rule allowing a senator or senators from the minority party to hold up a bill, which has ossified into a permanent obstacle.

And that, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia said Monday, will "never" change so long as he's around.

Manchin, the senator from West Virginia, is one of two Democrats standing in the way of that (the other is Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona). And he seems unlikely to change his mind.

"Never!" he shouted at a journalist who asked whether setbacks to the Democratic agenda might lead him to reconsider, per a pool report filed Monday night by Bloomberg News' Erik Wasson. "Jesus Christ, what don't you understand about 'never'?"
:x
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Re: Senator Joe Manchin, D, WV

Post by Reality Check »

I was around West Virginia when his Uncle A. James Manchin was in the House of Delegates and later Secretary of State. Uncle James was 3 bricks short of a load for sure.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 pm I was around West Virginia when his Uncle A. James Manchin was in the House of Delegates and later Secretary of State. Uncle James was 3 bricks short of a load for sure.
Which is exactly what a lot of the electorate seem to be looking for these days. Especially in (R) states.
Il factotum
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Wonder how long it'll be until Moscow Mitch gets him to come over to the dark side...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.axios.com/biden-manchin-wes ... 5ca65.html
President Biden on Friday nominated Gayle Conelly Manchin, the wife of Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and the former president of the West Virginia Board of Education, to serve as co-chair of Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC).

Why it matters: The ARC is an economic development partnership between the federal government and 13 state governments with the goal of investing in Appalachian communities. Sen. Joe Manchin is a critical moderate swing vote that Biden will need in order to pass any of his priorities in the 50-50 Senate.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”