Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Post by Luke »

Agree!
Jonathan Alter @jonathanalter 39m
Suspending the filibuster (much more achievable than abolishing it altogether) will be necessary for passage of HR1/S1, the “For the People Act”—the most important expansion of democracy since the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1965. “Nuclear Option”? No, “Democracy Option.”

Quote Tweet Tommy Vietor @TVietor08· 1h
Trump attacking HR.1 at length shows how important it is to pass it immediately. The entire GOP comeback strategy hinges on voter suppression and gerrymandering and is enabled by democratic senators who are more worried about senate tradition than democracy.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: HR1 / S1 / Voting Rights / Voter Supression

Post by Frater I*I »

And it gets struck down by the R partisan hacks in the courts.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Not if 6 more SCOTUS positions are created prior to that..

Court stacking shouldn't be only a R thing.. ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like to think of it as re-balancing the court(s).
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Screenshot 2021-03-02_11-25-16-863.png
Screenshot 2021-03-02_11-25-16-863.png (276.29 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

They need to name and shame that asshole. Put his name on blast. He deserves more notoriety than just "Republican lawyer."
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

And the Supreme Court needs to be named and shamed after they side with Republicans in spite of hearing the explanation of why they joined the suit. I wonder how long it will take them to come up with their inevitable decision but make it sound like they aren't rubbing their hands together and agreeing with that lawyer. I have faith in their ability to come up with some bullshit other reason to come down on the side of tearing down even more voting rights.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Laura Elizabeth is making a great case for passing HR1/S1 as soon as possible! :lol:

Loomer HR1.JPG
Loomer HR1.JPG (111.51 KiB) Viewed 7394 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Looks like there is a legitimate reason to read the whole damn bill out loud. Some of those fuckwits obviously need to hear it.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:40 pm Looks like there is a legitimate reason to read the whole damn bill out loud. Some of those fuckwits obviously need to hear it.
What they'll hear: "Blah, blah, blah, outlaw Christianity, blah blah blah, take your guns...",ect ad infinitum...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:47 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:40 pm Looks like there is a legitimate reason to read the whole damn bill out loud. Some of those fuckwits obviously need to hear it.
What they'll hear: "Blah, blah, blah, outlaw Christianity, blah blah blah, take your guns...",ect ad infinitum...
They aren't going to hear anything. They demanded it be read, then literally left the chamber.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke

Post by Luke »

While the GOP is screwing around with Speedy Gonzales and Dr. Seuss...
11 mins ago - Politics & Policy
Biden to sign voting rights order to mark "Bloody Sunday" anniversary
Sarah Mucha

President Biden will sign an executive order today, on the 56th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday," meant to promote voting rights, according to an administration official.

Why it matters: The executive order comes as Democrats face an uphill battle to pass a sweeping election bill meant, in part, to combat a growing number of proposals introduced by Republicans at the state level that would restrict voter access. While Biden’s executive authority does not extend to overturning states’ laws, the order allows the president to signal his support for expanding voter rights by way of the bully pulpit.

Details: The executive order includes directives to all federal agencies to create a strategy to promote voter participation, like using their websites or social media accounts to encourage people to register to vote.

It calls for a revamp of Vote.gov, the government’s voting information website, within 200 days.
The order directs the Department of Defense to make it easier for active-duty military and voters living abroad to cast their ballots.
It calls for a review of voting practices and how they affect people with disabilities.
It also creates a steering committee on Native American voting rights.

What to watch: Biden will speak at the annual Martin and Coretta King Unity Breakfast Sunday, per an administration official, where he will deliver virtual remarks to commemorate the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery in 1965 and introduce his executive order. “Every eligible voter should be able to vote and have it counted,” Biden is expected to say. “If you have the best ideas, you have nothing to hide. Let more people vote.” Biden is also expected to call on Congress to pass H.R. 1, the sweeping election bill recently passed by the House, and to restore the Voting Rights' Act, named in honor of the late civil rights icon, Rep. John Lewis.
The House bill includes a host of provisions, including setting national standards for mandating automatic voter registration and expanding early and absentee voting, all measures meant to increase participation and combat states restrictions.The bill likely won’t garner enough votes needed in the Senate to break a likely filibuster.
https://www.axios.com/president-biden-v ... c2180.html

Happy to see them trying from all angles. Marc Elias is loaded for bear to take those voter suppression idiots on.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Give them Hell Joe Biden! :lol:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

Manchin blinked, at least a little.

Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

The filibuster has become lazy. Reminds me of the Star trek episode "A taste of Armageddon" At least make em' work for it. Let them emulate Wendy Davis if they want to keep it.

We may need the filibuster fairly soon if Cotton or Hawley are elected President. (I am not worried about Cruz) Those two dudes are evil, but smart. Bad combination.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So make the filibuster back so that they have to talk again. And also, allow it to be closed with a vote of 2/3rds of those PRESENT, not 2/3rds of the total. That way all the Republicans can't just walk out on the chaos they unleash like they did when they had the Relief bill read aloud. You're going to filibuster, better make it important because it is going to be work.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

covfefe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:20 pm So make the filibuster back so that they have to talk again. And also, allow it to be closed with a vote of 2/3rds of those PRESENT, not 2/3rds of the total. That way all the Republicans can't just walk out on the chaos they unleash like they did when they had the Relief bill read aloud. You're going to filibuster, better make it important because it is going to be work.
This.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=DELLDHP
Large corporations, including Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines and Aflac, came out to stand up against voting restrictions measures by Georgia's Republican Party.

"Voting is a foundational right in America, and we will continue to work to advance voting rights and access in Georgia and across the country," Coca-Cola said in a statement reported by CNBC Sunday. "We support efforts by the Metro Atlanta Chamber and the Georgia Chamber of Commerce to help facilitate a balanced approach to the election bills that have been introduced in the Georgia Legislature this session."

:snippity:

Delta, Home Depot and UPS have also issued statements supporting voting rights in Georgia and across the U.S.

The statements from the corporations came after civil rights and activist groups— including Black Voters Matter, the New Georgia Project Action Fund, and the Georgia NAACP—called on major Georgia-based corporations on Friday to publicly speak out against voting restrictions proposed by the state's GOP and stop donating money to the Republican legislators sponsoring the bills.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

You know we need to stop calling this voter suppression and call it what it really is...

Apartheid.

Trent Reznor
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

and/or fascism
filly

Post by filly »

"We'll work through the Chamber of Commerce" is some weak bullshit. Either they stop donating to these RWNJ Republicans entirely or the groups supporting our Democracy need to step up the pressure on all of these corporations,.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

filly wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:43 pm "We'll work through the Chamber of Commerce" is some weak bullshit. Either they stop donating to these RWNJ Republicans entirely or the groups supporting our Democracy need to step up the pressure on all of these corporations,.
:yeahthat:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Democracy Docket
@DemocracyDocket
Police cars revolving lightALERT: Conservative activist Jere Fabick sues the Wisconsin Election Commission to ban community ballot collection and drop boxes and prohibit election officials from correcting missing info on absentee ballots before statewide elections on April 6th.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke

Post by Luke »

This "we can't let people vote or we'll lose" bulls*it is tired, bring on the talking filibuster and let them explain why it should be harder to vote. Shameful. But it's just digging deeper for the GOP, they totally botched the COVID relief bill with 72% support. Between their insurrection, and their fake culture wars, they may wake up to see even bigger margins in the House and Senate. So keep it up, Republicans!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

covfefe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:20 pm So make the filibuster back so that they have to talk again. And also, allow it to be closed with a vote of 2/3rds of those PRESENT, not 2/3rds of the total. That way all the Republicans can't just walk out on the chaos they unleash like they did when they had the Relief bill read aloud. You're going to filibuster, better make it important because it is going to be work.
Yes. Exactly.
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Current Politics”