Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by Volkonski »

I am thinking his motivation was sexual in nature rather than racism. If it was primarily racism why did he not target more numerous businesses employing Asians like restaurants?

My thinking is that his religion developed in him unhealthy attitudes about sex. I suspect his "sex addiction" was just the normal sexual interest common in young men about which he was made to feel guilty.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:25 pm I am thinking his motivation was sexual in nature rather than racism. If it was primarily racism why did he not target more numerous businesses employing Asians like restaurants?
I think in cases like this it is misleading to try to identify a single 'primary' motivation. If nothing else, fetishizing asian women is a class of racism too, and you get multiple layers of dehumanization which tends to make a sense of superiority and killing others easier. So likely a venn diagram of overlap rather than being one or the other.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“Atlanta shooter tells me I'm going to kill all Asians”
Local Korean media reports on witnesses in the incident.
Police are checking the exact motive of the crime.

https://www.chosun.com/international/us ... 4HGRZGOG4/
A total of 8 people were killed and 1 injured in a series of shootings in Atlanta, Georgia and 3 nearby Asian massage parlors on the afternoon of the 16th. A local Korean media reported that he made a remark'I will do this.'

On the 17th, the Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta, quoted an employee A of the massage parlor'Gold Massage Spa' where the shooting took place, and said that the suspect at the time of the crime said that he would'kill all Asians'. It is known that Mr. A was in the store at the time of the shooting, but managed to evacuate and then conveyed the information to a nearby Korean business.
Via Google Translate
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

errol barnett
@errolbarnett
Replying to
@errolbarnett
One victim, 33 year-old Delaina Yuan, worked at this
@WaffleHouse
where there is a donation jar for her husband and kids.

One patron told me Yuan wouldn’t charge her kids for waffles.

I watched as staff broke the news to customers, saddened by the loss.
@CBSEveningNews

@CBSNews

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

IMHO, it wasn't racism.

Nor "sexual addiction".

Perhaps best described as "sexual frustration" -- he is lost. Not excusing what he did.

We need better and MORE freely available mental health resources in this country..
somerset

Post by somerset »

White privilege/supremacy - When a good 'ol white boy goes on a killin spree, leaving mostly Asians dead, he's havin a bad day. I've never heard that reasoning applied to a 21 year old black man, nor even to a white person who killed other white people.

https://news.yahoo.com/atlanta-cops-dis ... 37080.html
The identity of the victims naturally led to speculation that there was a racial motivation for the murders. But in a press conference Wednesday, Cherokee County sheriff's captain Jay Baker tried to downplay that possibility. He repeated Long's claim that the murder spree "was not racially motivated," and instead that it was about his supposed sex addiction. He "sees these locations as … a temptation for him that he wanted to eliminate," Baker said. Sounding almost like a defense attorney, Baker also said Long "understood the gravity of it … yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did."
On the same topic, I just finished Ty Seidule's "Robert E. Lee and Me." Whoever suggested this, thanks! It puts a lot of the white supremacism and systemic racism of the South into horrifying context.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neeneko wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:56 am Huh.. if women at massage parlors were the target, I wonder if this is an overlap between anti-asian racism and incelness.
You are jumping to conclusions.

The shooter was just having a bad day. It could happen to any of us.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:04 pm
neeneko wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:56 am Huh.. if women at massage parlors were the target, I wonder if this is an overlap between anti-asian racism and incelness.

Someone on Twitter said at least he didn’t have diabetes acting up.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

keith wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:04 pm

When I'm having a bad day...

I eat chocolate...
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jewel Wicker
@jewelwickershow
·
31m
Cant stop thinking Delaina Ashley Yaun’s family. I spoke to her sister, Dana Toole, today & she shared this photo of her sister with me. She says Delaina, 33, & her husband were at Youngs Asian Massage Parlor for a date night away from their kids (8 months & 14).

The couple had just gotten married in August. Dalaina’s husband survived the shooting. She did not.
Lani

Post by Lani »

He said "I'm going to kill all Asians.” So he's told us that he's a racist. Don't know why the police are brushing that off.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

More info on the victims at Young's Asian Spa.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/17/us/a ... ticleShare
On Wednesday, the authorities named the victims found inside Young’s Asian Massage as Ms. Yaun, 33, of Acworth; Xiaojie Tan, 49, of Kennesaw; Daoyou Feng, 44; and Paul Andre Michels, 54, whose brother said he lived in Tucker.
Mr. Hernandez-Ortiz, the man injured in the attack, was making his way to a money exchange business next door to Young’s Asian Massage when shots rang out, his wife, Flor Gonzalez, said. Moments later, he desperately reached for his cellphone.
Paul Andre Michels, another person killed at the spa, was one of nine siblings, his brother John Michels said.

“We did almost everything together,” Mr. Michels, 52, said. His brother, he said, was a businessman and a veteran of the U.S. Army infantry, where he served in the late 1980s. Paul Michels had been married for more than 20 years and was a Catholic as well as a strong political conservative, his brother said. He grew up in southwest Detroit and moved to Georgia about 25 years ago for work.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:32 pm He said "I'm going to kill all Asians.” So he's told us that he's a racist. Don't know why the police are brushing that off.
The Sheriff's spokesman is a racist asshole -

The Daily Beast - Georgia Sheriff Spokesman Posted Racist COVID Shirts on Facebook
A Cherokee County, Georgia, Sheriff’s Office spokesperson came under fire Wednesday afternoon for pinning the deadly Tuesday shooting rampage that left eight dead—including six Asian women—on a 21-year-old white man’s “very bad day.”

“Yesterday was a really bad day for him and this is what he did,” Jay Baker said during the joint news conference with the Atlanta Police Department about 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long.

But it seems the same spokesperson shared racist content online, including pointing the finger at China for the ongoing coronavirus pandemic—the same vitriol advocates say has fueled a horrific surge in violence against Asian Americans.

In a Facebook page associated with Capt. Jay Baker of the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, several photos show the law enforcer was promoting T-shirts with the slogan “COVID-19 imported virus from CHY-NA.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Georgia spa shooting suspect, charged with 8 counts of murder, attended rehab for sex addiction

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 741925001/
Long was deeply religious and could not control his desire to visit massage parlors and engage in sexual acts, something that sent him into deep bouts of depression, said Tyler Bayless, who lived with Long for six months in 2019 and 2020 at Maverick Recovery Center in Roswell, Georgia. Long would frequently relapse, then express guilt because of his Christian faith, Bayless said.

"He would say, 'I've done it again' and it just ate away at him," Bayless said. "He felt absolutely merciless remorse."

Especially after his relapses, Long would spend hours in prayer, Bayless said. In weekly therapy sessions he would confess his indiscretions and say how guilty he felt about what he had done.

:snippity:

Bayless said he was "shocked, but not surprised" when he learned Long had been involved in a mass shooting. He said Long was a gun enthusiast, and recalled him telling a story about receiving his first gun for his eighth or ninth birthday. At one point, Bayless said Long gave him a knife to take care of because he feared he would harm himself with it.
So how much sex interest becomes "addiction" in a 21 year old? Where does the guilt come from?
somerset

Post by somerset »

Lani wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:32 pm He said "I'm going to kill all Asians.” So he's told us that he's a racist. Don't know why the police are brushing that off.
I think because it's here-say at the moment.
Reynolds previously told reporters that it was too early to say if the killings were racially motivated — “but the indicators right now are it may not be.”

Host Shepard Smith asked Reynolds about reports the suspect made anti-Asian statements at the targeted massage parlors.

“I don’t know that it’s true,” said Reynolds. “I’ve heard that from social media and media, but I’ve not heard that from our investigators.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/17/atlanta ... ation.html

But I do think Reynolds will be walking back his support of Baker now that his choice in T-shirts is public.
Reynolds told CNBC Wednesday that he regretted Baker’s comments.

“He’s a great asset to our agency, he’s expressed his concern about his choice of words,” Reynolds said. “He didn’t mean to use that in the context that it came across. I think he was quoting the suspect from the interview, that he was having a bad day, not that we think he was having a bad day. It was a horrific event, in no way did we minimize or try to minimize the severity of this.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://thesummitwellnessgroup.com/reso ... er-living/
SOBER LIVING HOMES IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA
BY MICHAEL SMETH
FEBRUARY 3, 2020
There are a dizzying array of sober living homes in Atlanta, Georgia. Just how many are there? No one really knows. This is because sober livings, also referred to as halfway houses, can be opened and run with little money and require no credentials, certifications or accreditation.

:snippity:

MAVERICK RECOVERY
2716 Hemingway
Roswell, GA 30075

Overview
Founded by a husband and wife who met in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous, Maverick is a sober living program committed to providing a safe, clean, affordable living environment for up to 24 men and 6 women in a gated community close to GA-400 and public transportation. Treatment programs are tailored to the individual needs and future goals of the resident and generally include one-on-one counseling as well as group therapy.

Each resident is highly encouraged to become active in the 12-step fellowship of his or her choosing as well as any other recovery-based communities he or she may prefer. Staff partner with treatment centers and therapists to ensure the best collective care for clients, many of whom are still actively enrolled in outpatient programs and aftercare.

Maverick strongly believes that empowering its residents with a degree of independence yet keeping them accountable within a close-knit community structure is the optimal formula for assisting them in soberly transitioning back to the outside world.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I am not a mental health professional.

However, I will venture the opinion that much harm is done by those who convince young men that to be any good at all they have to be as pure as Sir Galahad.
Clairez

Post by Clairez »

Don't buy his whole story. As a Christian, he felt so guilty about having sex but was comfortable about murdering more than a half-dozen people in three different locations. Seems that some of that guilt would kick in while driving from location number 1 to location number 2.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:

'You bum, why did you hit me?' 75-year-old Asian woman beats attacker with stick in San Francisco

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 745168001/
An elderly Asian American woman attacked and punched by a man on a San Francisco street fought back, leaving him battered, bloodied and hospitalized.

The clash came hours after city police announced increased patrols in Asian neighborhoods following a recent surge of attacks in the city and across the nation, including a shooting rampage in Georgia that left six Asian women and two other people dead.

Xiao Zhen Xie, 75, was "very traumatized, very scared" after the encounter, she told CBS San Francisco with her daughter, Dong-Mei Li, helping to translate. Xiao's face appeared swollen and she could not yet see in one eye, her daughter said.

Xiao said she was waiting at a traffic light when the suspect suddenly punched her in the eye. She picked up a stick and fought back, she said.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:49 am :thumbsup:

'You bum, why did you hit me?' 75-year-old Asian woman beats attacker with stick in San Francisco

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 745168001/
An elderly Asian American woman attacked and punched by a man on a San Francisco street fought back, leaving him battered, bloodied and hospitalized.

The clash came hours after city police announced increased patrols in Asian neighborhoods following a recent surge of attacks in the city and across the nation, including a shooting rampage in Georgia that left six Asian women and two other people dead.

Xiao Zhen Xie, 75, was "very traumatized, very scared" after the encounter, she told CBS San Francisco with her daughter, Dong-Mei Li, helping to translate. Xiao's face appeared swollen and she could not yet see in one eye, her daughter said.

Xiao said she was waiting at a traffic light when the suspect suddenly punched her in the eye. She picked up a stick and fought back, she said.
Video. She’s still standing. He’s on a stretcher.

Dennis O'Donnell (@DennisKPIX) Tweeted:
Just came upon an attack on an elderly Asian woman on Market Street San Francisco. Effort I got more details https://t.co/5o8r0eeHE2
somerset

Post by somerset »

Clairez wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 pm Don't buy his whole story. As a Christian, he felt so guilty about having sex but was comfortable about murdering more than a half-dozen people in three different locations. Seems that some of that guilt would kick in while driving from location number 1 to location number 2.
To a white supremicist, non-whites aren’t people.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

somerset wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 am To a white supremicist, non-whites aren’t people.
Nor are women who 'tempt' men.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ting-long/
Long, a White man from Woodstock, Ga., is not the first high-profile suspect to make such a claim: Harvey Weinstein, serial killer Ted Bundy, and Ariel Castro, who kidnapped three teenagers and held them captive in his Cleveland basement, have all defended their criminal actions by claiming they were addicted to sex or pornography.

But while the world of entertainment has in recent years popularized the idea of “sex addiction” through films and TV shows, researchers who study human sexuality and addiction say it is far from an established psychiatric diagnosis.

“There’s an idea that when people are too turned on, they cannot control their own behaviors,” David J. Ley, a clinical psychologist and the author of “The Myth of Sex Addiction,” told The Washington Post. “But the research shows that these ‘sex addicts’ don’t demonstrate observable difficulties in self-control.”

As HuffPost has reported, the American Psychiatric Association in 2012 removed sex addiction from the DSM-5, the nearly 1,000-page guidebook used by psychiatrists to diagnose mental disorders. Some scientists question if it is merely a mask for or symptom of other behaviors.

Long, who has been charged with murder after allegedly confessing to the killings, called the spas he targeted “a temptation for him that he wanted to eliminate,” according to police.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Biden, Harris to meet with Asian American leaders in Georgia to offer support after shootings
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... t-n1261396
WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris will meet with Asian American community leaders during a scheduled visit to Georgia on Friday in the wake of the spa shootings in Atlanta that left eight people dead, six of whom were women of Asian descent.

Biden and Harris' visit to Atlanta, which will be their first joint trip since taking office, had initially been scheduled as part of the administration's "Help is Here" tour promoting the $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief package.

While the aid package will be a key focus of their trip, administration officials said the visit was adjusted in response to the shootings.

Officials said Biden and Harris will offer their support to the community, but the exact details of their trip are still being determined. :snippity:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:01 pm
Long, a White man from Woodstock, Ga., is not the first high-profile suspect to make such a claim: Harvey Weinstein, serial killer Ted Bundy, and Ariel Castro, who kidnapped three teenagers and held them captive in his Cleveland basement, have all defended their criminal actions by claiming they were addicted to sex or pornography.

But while the world of entertainment has in recent years popularized the idea of “sex addiction” through films and TV shows, researchers who study human sexuality and addiction say it is far from an established psychiatric diagnosis.

“There’s an idea that when people are too turned on, they cannot control their own behaviors,” David J. Ley, a clinical psychologist and the author of “The Myth of Sex Addiction,” told The Washington Post. “But the research shows that these ‘sex addicts’ don’t demonstrate observable difficulties in self-control.”

As HuffPost has reported, the American Psychiatric Association in 2012 removed sex addiction from the DSM-5, the nearly 1,000-page guidebook used by psychiatrists to diagnose mental disorders. Some scientists question if it is merely a mask for or symptom of other behaviors.

Long, who has been charged with murder after allegedly confessing to the killings, called the spas he targeted “a temptation for him that he wanted to eliminate,” according to police.
From chatting with people who worked in related fields, I always got the impression that 'sex addiction' was a legit thing, but generally took a VERY different form than what these people express.. with the general idea being, if you are selecting your victims, it probably is not 'addiction', with actual addicts generally turning to outlets like becoming sex workers or anonymous hookups in order to feed it.

Return to “Current Politics”