Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by northland10 »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 pm Hey join in the fun...

This RWNJ put up this poll; retweeted it. Nobody comments on her posts so just a few Fogbowzers and her little poll will be borked. To add to the laughs, the RWNJ followed me; must not have read my timeline. We'll see how long that lasts, the lovely Amy Kremer made the same mistake :lol:
I am going to start a private school where there are no masks, va))ines, or social distancing. The curriculum will be about real life, how to grow food, and things people actually need to know. What do you think?

Yes I Love it
No You're Scaring Me
This sort of gives me a full understanding of her position. Because it was posted by a black man, she probably thinks it means she's not racist.
Screenshot 2021-04-20 194120.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-20 194120.jpg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

northland10 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:16 pm
p0rtia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 am ... but I can flip up the turn signal.
You would be among the 10% in the Chicago area that actually realize their vehicle comes equipped with turn signals (though half of the 10% don't use the turn signal until halfway through the turn/lane change).
I am a rarity wherever I go, in that, and in countless other ways.

Say no more.

:towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

This RWNJ put up this poll; retweeted it. Nobody comments on her posts so just a few Fogbowzers and her little poll will be borked. To add to the laughs, the RWNJ followed me; must not have read my timeline. We'll see how long that lasts, the lovely Amy Kremer made the same mistake :lol:
I am going to start a private school where there are no masks, va))ines, or social distancing. The curriculum will be about real life, how to grow food, and things people actually need to know. What do you think?

Yes I Love it
No You're Scaring Me
Vote now! :P

Wasn't the )) thing some sort of anti Jew dog whistle thing a while back?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes. ((name)) or (((name))) (I forget if it's 2 or 3.)

It didn't work out well. People started using it for their own names regardless of religion or whatever.

This person is using it for cc to avoid the twitter police deleting her tweet.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Lani wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:43 pm It took me awhile to figure out what va))ines are.

PS lots of racism and stupid in her twitter account. Sorry I looked. :cantlook:
Likely not a real person. 2011, fewer than a dozen followers.
D81A0318-B948-4093-A4D2-C187E5B98B2E.jpeg
D81A0318-B948-4093-A4D2-C187E5B98B2E.jpeg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I joined Mar 2011 and have 8 followers.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 pm I joined Mar 2011 and have 8 followers.
I joined in 2009 and only have 15 followers. Then again, I only have around 25 tweets and retweets. Why follow a dusty room?

She does repost almost everything from a poster called An0maly. He has a huge list of followers, hundreds of likes, but very few responses. I am wondering if Donna is actually An0maly, trying to increase his counts. He may have more bots as well.

And what the hell is this:
news analyst, hip-hop artist, matrix breaker
He does say he had more than 600 million views. 599,994,000 were bots.
101010 :towel:
Lani

Post by Lani »

:brickwallsmall: If I had looked at her twitter handle, I won't have bothered to go any farther. Looks like a bot.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

BotSentinel gives it a 76% rating.
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Manu Raju
@mkraju
·
26m
94-1, Senate passes bill to combat hate crimes against Asian-Americans. Josh Hawley was the lone NO vote

Hawley told
@tedbarrettcnn
this about the bill earlier this week. “I’m just concerned the bill is hugely broad, hugely open-ended. Mandates all this data collection in expansive categories that the federal government will collect and maintain. That concerns me.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Hawley should just wear his Klan robe on the floor, time for him to be proud of his hate and not hide it. :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Nancy Levine
@nancylevine
SCOOP by me: Amy Kremer has been fined by the FEC for non-filing for her PAC.

She hasn't paid, and case may be moved to the US Department of Treasury for enforcement, collection.

Kremer was a principal organizer of Trump's Jan 6 pre-insurrection rally.

Yes I Love it
No You're Scaring Me
Vote now! :P [ETA: Lani is right below, Donna is a RWNJ, just vote, don't bother with her ignorance and hate. 4 votes now, all NO :lol: ]

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Video at the link.

Video shows NC police grabbing 66-year-old librarian by hair, pulling her from car
Law enforcement officers in Rowan County pulled a 66-year-old librarian from her car by her hair, threw her to the ground and tore her rotator cuff during a 2019 traffic stop, a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday alleges.

The woman, Stephanie Bottom of Atlanta, said she was driving to a funeral and posing no threat to the officers when they stopped her on Interstate 85 for driving 80 mph in a 70 mph zone and failing to heed blue lights. Once officers stopped her car, they approached her with guns drawn, she said.

Bottom, who is Black, contended in the lawsuit that the officers from the Salisbury Police Department and Rowan County Sheriff’s office used excessive force, in violation of the U.S. Constitution. The suit was filed in federal court in the Middle District of North Carolina.

Body cam video obtained by the Observer shows Bottom crying after she was handcuffed.

“What have I done wrong?” she asked the officers.

“Ma’am, there were three police cars behind you for about 10 miles,” one of the officers replied.

The video shows Bottom telling officers she was in pain and needed medical help. About 11 minutes after she was stopped, an officer told her he was “going to have EMS check her out.” Paramedics took her to a nearby hospital.

One of the officers named in the lawsuit, former Salisbury Police Department officer Devin Barkalow, declined to talk about the complaint, referring a reporter to the department. Barkalow, who was hired by the department in 2015, left the agency to take a position with federal law enforcement in February 2020, according to Linda McElroy, a spokeswoman for the city of Salisbury.

McElroy said city officials would not comment on pending litigation. But in an email to the Charlotte Observer, she said, “the Salisbury Police always strives for positive interactions with our residents and visitors, including in cases where we may suspect criminal activity."

The other officers named in the lawsuit could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.
Officers grabbed a Black librarian by her hair and tore her shoulder during traffic stop, lawsuit alleges: ‘That’s good police work, baby’
Stephanie Bottom was terror-stricken in the driver’s seat of her SUV, trying not to move as three officers in Salisbury, N.C., held her at gunpoint during a traffic stop for speeding in May 2019.

Bottom, an Atlanta librarian and grandmother of five, was driving to North Carolina for a relative’s funeral when police stopped her vehicle after it was going 10 mph over the speed limit, according to a federal lawsuit she filed Wednesday. Bottom, who did not immediately realize police wanted her to stop, was looking for a safe place to pull over when police used spike strips to stop her SUV.

Before Bottom, 68, could get an answer as to why the officers had their guns pointed at her head, police grabbed the librarian by her arm and hair and threw her from her car to the ground, body-camera footage shows.

Police then allegedly tore Bottom’s rotator cuff as they detained her, shrieking, facedown on the pavement of the interstate. After she cried for police to get her medical attention — “I am hurting really bad” — one of the officers on the scene congratulated his law enforcement colleagues on a job well done, according to the lawsuit.

That’s good police work, baby,” he said, according to body-cam footage.

Bottom, who is Black, is suing three officers, the sheriff of Rowan County, N.C., and the city of Salisbury, accusing them of using excessive force and violating her Fourth Amendment rights during a traffic stop that seriously injured her. The lawsuit obtained by The Washington Post, which was filed in the Middle District of North Carolina, accuses Salisbury officers Devin Barkalow and Adam Bouk and Rowan County Sheriff’s deputy Mark Benfield of hurting the librarian so badly that she was forced to miss eight months of work. The allegations were first reported by the Charlotte Observer.

Neither the Salisbury Police Department nor the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office immediately responded to requests for comment Thursday. Linda McElroy, a spokeswoman for the city of Salisbury, wrote in an email to the Observer that “the Salisbury Police always strives for positive interactions with our residents and visitors, including in cases where we may suspect criminal activity.”

Efforts to reach the officers and Rowan County Sheriff Kevin Auten were unsuccessful. According to the Observer, Barkalow said he no longer works for the Salisbury Police Department. The lawsuit alleges the officers were not disciplined for their actions.

“We don’t have any information that they were sanctioned in any way,” said Scott Holmes, an attorney representing Bottom and a professor at North Carolina Central University’s School of Law Civil Litigation Clinic.

:snippity:
I don't want this driver on the road. Nor do I want officers throwing unarmed individuals on the ground by their hair.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

You don’t want ”this driver” on the road? For doing 80 in a 70? I spend a lot of time on highways, and these days that’s not the exception, it’s the rule. On I83 here people are doing 80 in a 50 zone.

It’s not because she’s over 60 and Black, is it? Or an attempt to excuse the thugs who stopped her? :think:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:52 am You don’t want ”this driver” on the road? For doing 80 in a 70? I spend a lot of time on highways, and these days that’s not the exception, it’s the rule. On I83 here people are doing 80 in a 50 zone.

It’s not because she’s over 60 and Black, is it? Or an attempt to excuse the thugs who stopped her? :think:
I think the point being made was that someone whose situational awareness is so compromised that they can drive for 10 miles not noticing the cops behind them with their lights and sirens on maybe shouldn't be operating a 2000-pound death machine.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

At that speed, 10 miles is 8 minutes. And she may have figured the cops were headed somewhere else, not even noticing she was over the limit, since that speed is fairly normal. And going to a funeral... her mind may have been elsewhere a bit.

But sure, let’s rationalize the cops’ actions. Even though there are millions of drivers in “death machines” with even less awareness every single day.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:01 am At that speed, 10 miles is 8 minutes. And she may have figured the cops were headed somewhere else, not even noticing she was over the limit, since that speed is faurly normal. And going to a funeral... her mind may have been elsewhere a bit.

But sure, let’s rationalize the cops’ actions. Even though there are millions of drivers in “death machines” with even less awareness every single day.
I can think back to a few times where I had police behind me on the highway and having a bit of panic thinking they were upset with me, getting out of the way, and having them zip past. Depending on the highway's layout and other traffic, I could easily see someone not being sure for ~8 minutes if there was no good place to pull off so they can either pull over or pass.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:29 am
I can think back to a few times where I had police behind me on the highway and having a bit of panic thinking they were upset with me, getting out of the way, and having them zip past. Depending on the highway's layout and other traffic, I could easily see someone not being sure for ~8 minutes if there was no good place to pull off so they can either pull over or pass.
I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that I-85 with a 70 mph speed limit is probably a multi-lane interstate highway with emergency lanes. (Just looked. They have emergency lanes on both sides.)

She blamed it on playing Prince too loudly on the radio, although I'm not sure why that would affect her vision. Three police cars behind you for 8 minutes at 8:00 at night and you don't notice them? You think they're going to another call but they don't pass you?

Traffic stops are the second most dangerous activities the police are involved in. Failure to yield to blue lights and sirens for 10 miles while speeding is a felony stop, hence the stop strips and weapons displayed. The officers had no idea who she was, her age, or why she wasn't pulling over. Remember the testimony about active and passive resistance in the Chauvin trial? She is a perfect example of passive resistance, and it is surprisingly hard to overcome when trying to cuff someone. It's so easy, after the fact, to jump on the cops for fucking up whether they actually did or not.

A torn rotator cuff sounds like they had to have beat her ass to cause it, but it's not really a hard injury to suffer. I tore mine one time when the wheel fell off my patrol car and the steering wheel jerked hard to the right unexpectedly. My partner's was torn when he tried to handcuff a suspect and the guy spun around and trapped his arm between the cuffs and his body.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:01 am At that speed, 10 miles is 8 minutes. And she may have figured the cops were headed somewhere else, not even noticing she was over the limit, since that speed is fairly normal. And going to a funeral... her mind may have been elsewhere a bit.

I've had clients charged with fleeing/eluding for less. I was not rationalizing the cops' actions after they stopped her. I was saying that one could agree perhaps this person ought not be driving without excusing what the cops did.

I'm pretty sure my credentials for not mindlessly justifying the actions of law enforcement are sufficiently established on this forum at this point that I am entitled to respond to your accusation as politely as I can: Naff off.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:08 am
...Naff off.
Probably most famously uttered by the Anne, Princess Royal. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
LM K

Post by LM K »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:52 am You don’t want ”this driver” on the road? For doing 80 in a 70? I spend a lot of time on highways, and these days that’s not the exception, it’s the rule. On I83 here people are doing 80 in a 50 zone.

WTAF, Roadscholar! Have you not read anything I've been writing about racism on the forum? Or about excessive force against Black people? (I've written a lot in the Derrick Chauvin threads.)

Any driver who doesn't notice 3 police cars with flashing lights for 10 miles shouldn't be on the road. I don't give a fuck that she was slightly speeding. She didn't realize she needed to stop until a spike strip busted her tires!

Your implications are repulsive. Perhaps read the sentence I wrote after the sentence about not wanting the woman driving.

Oh, and I'm the one that introduced this excessive force lawsuit in the thread. Why? Because those cops are racist AF.

I'll stop here before I say something ruder than what you said.
LM K

Post by LM K »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:55 am

I think the point being made was that someone whose situational awareness is so compromised that they can drive for 10 miles not noticing the cops behind them with their lights and sirens on maybe shouldn't be operating a 2000-pound death machine.
:yeahthat: Thank you, fierceredpanda.
LM K

Post by LM K »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:01 am At that speed, 10 miles is 8 minutes. And she may have figured the cops were headed somewhere else, not even noticing she was over the limit, since that speed is fairly normal. And going to a funeral... her mind may have been elsewhere a bit.

All drivers are legally required to pull over to let emergency vehicles pass. She admitted in her lawsuit that she never realized there were officers behind her. So no, she wasn't assuming that the cop cars were going somewhere else. She was oblivious to the three police cars.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I'm hoping this short volley between members is finished. We should be able to discuss apparent contradictions rather than suffer summary judgement. Not that it it limited to FB, the internet, or even this period. It's as old as history, and probably inherent in our species. Moses didn't bring down stone tablets because he wanted to stop bad behavior before it started.

So anyway, I agree with LMK. Both the cops and the driver are a danger to the public.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Alternate juror in Derek Chauvin trial says medical expert convinced her of ex-officer's guilt

An alternate juror in Derek Chauvin's trial
told reporters Thursday that Dr. Martin Tobin, the soft-spoken doctor who explained how George Floyd died, convinced her of the former police officer's guilt.

"Dr. Tobin was like the turning point for me," said Lisa Christensen. "I appreciate him explaining it in the way that all of us could understand it. I understood what he was saying. I thought it was very powerful -- probably the most important witness they had."

Tobin, a pulmonologist who studies the physiology of breathing, testified that Floyd died of low oxygen due to Chauvin's restraint. Christensen praised the way he narrated key, specific moments in the video that might have otherwise been missed.

"I feel like he could actually point out, going through the video, saying, 'Hey at this instance right here is where Mr. Floyd lost his life,' " she said.

As an alternate juror, Christensen sat through the entire trial but was dismissed prior to deliberations, so she was not one of the 12 jurors who voted to convict Chauvin on two counts of murder and one count of manslaughter.

Still, her comments are the first public indication of what jurors in court every day felt and thought of the case against the former Minneapolis Police officer. Her analysis also fits neatly with what court viewers and legal analysts said of the most powerful witnesses.

In a press conference with the media as well as in an interview on "CBS This Morning," she said she believed Chauvin was guilty.

"I didn't know if he was going to be guilty on all counts, but I would have said guilty," she told CBS.

Christensen spoke to the media Thursday from her home in Brooklyn Center, where during the trial a police officer shot and killed 20-year-old Daunte Wright, sparking protests. She said there were some nights coming home from court that she was racing to beat the curfew put in place after Wright was killed.

"Obviously, living six blocks away, when I stepped out on my deck over here I could see the smoke actually from the smoke grenades. I could hear the helicopters, til about one in the morning, flying over my house. I could actually hear the... flashbangs, and I could hear the chatter of the people and people trying to park all over the place here," she said.

Though she didn't ultimately deliberate, she told CNN that the trial was draining.

"I didn't think it would affect me as much as it has. It was emotional. It was draining. There was lots of nights where I just came home from the trial, and I just went right to sleep, right to bed," she said. "It was an experience, I mean it affected me, you know, more than I thought it would. So yeah, it'll be with me for a while. I hope we did it right and we got it right. We really tried to put all of our effort into it, make the right decisions."

Sympathy and praise for 17-year-old bystander
In the CBS interview, she also praised Darnella Frazier, the teenage bystander who took clear and intimate video of Floyd's final moments. At the trial, Frazier testified she lost sleep at night apologizing to Floyd for not doing more to save him.

"She feels responsible in a way, and I feel really bad for her, but I commend her for taking the video because without her I don't think this would have been possible," Christensen said.

By contrast, she didn't think the defense witnesses had a good impact and she had negative views of defense attorney Eric Nelson.

"I think he over-promised in the beginning and didn't live up to what he said he was going to do," she said.

Nelson has not commented to CNN since the verdict.

Christenson expressed discomfort with Chauvin himself, who appeared in court every day but did not testify.

"We locked eyes quite a few times and I was pretty uncomfortable," she told CBS.

Yet she also expressed some empathy for him in her conversation with the media. "I do feel bad for him. Whether, you know, he made a huge mistake and it cost somebody their life... nobody is a winner out of this whole situation.
I feel bad," she said.

Christensen said watching the video of Floyd's death, which she hadn't seen in full before, left her in tears a couple times. And she expressed her continued confusion about how a suspected fake $20 bill got so out of hand.

"I just don't understand how it got from a counterfeit $20 bill to a death," she said. "It kind of shocks me."

The jurors in the high-profile case were unnamed and unseen on camera to protect their identity.

In jury selection, Christensen, a White woman in her 50s, said she worked until recently in customer service in a suburban business that was damaged in the civil unrest after Floyd's death. She said she had a "somewhat negative" view of Chauvin, but generally trusts police and believes people who follow their instructions have nothing to fear.

Return to “Current Politics”