Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Dave from down under

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by Dave from down under »

4 years off the leash and being encouraged to be proud of their evil.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:40 pm What in the hell is wrong with people? :mad:
Born in the basement, never brought up.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I looked at a map of the city of Atlanta and did a search of massage parlors and spas. It seems unbelievable that he just happened to target Asian owned businesses and drove past lots of targets in between his first and second stop. IMO he was targeting Asian women and a couple of non Asian citizens got in the way and also were killed.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:37 pm I looked at a map of the city of Atlanta and did a search of massage parlors and spas. It seems unbelievable that he just happened to target Asian owned businesses and drove past lots of targets in between his first and second stop. IMO he was targeting Asian women and a couple of non Asian citizens got in the way and also were killed.
My daughter, who lived in Atlanta for years, said the vast majority of the massage parlors are owned by Asians. I am assuming from news reports that he targeted the parlors he had visited, not just random ones.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Discovered recently that Woodrow Wilson was a Lost Cause proponent.

Gak.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I have noticed the last few years in Australia, that (mostly) Asian owned massage parlors are opening up within days of some boutique or haircutter shop shutting down. Somebody told me that one of the things that can grease the Australian immigration rails is to commit to opening up a business and massage shops are an easy way to do it. The landlords are desperate to keep the cash flow moving and massage parlors are apparently cheap to set up - I wouldn't doubt if there was a franchise system going on.

They are not concentrated in one area, they are in virtually every shopping street. I noticed the proliferation a few years ago when I was walking around the rather up-market street near where I used to live and I phoned my wife to meet me. I said 'I'm across the street from the old bank building, next to the massage parlor that's gone in... wait, there are THREE massage parlors in this block for crying out loud... where did they all come from'? On the drive home, I started noticing them everywhere.

I don't know how many of them offer 'extras', but there are occasional busts by local council compliance officers. Since prostitution is legal (in Victoria at least) there is no real reason to operate illegally.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:37 pm
I don't know how many of them offer 'extras', but there are occasional busts by local council compliance officers. Since prostitution is legal (in Victoria at least) there is no real reason to operate illegally.
That "sex work" is so stigmatized is a pox on society. It prevents people (mostly women) caught up in it from reporting because authorities take the easy arrest over dealing with the traffickers who may (or may not be) sanctioned by the governing bodies.

Sigh.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mark Pitcavage
@egavactip
"Car ramming at rally protesting anti-Asian hate being investigated as hate crime"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/car-ramming-r ... d=76628526
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

Nail salons and massage salons are great employers for newly arrived immigrants. Just learn the trade, not much English needed except for the front desk person and the manager. When we began receiving Vietnam immigrants, one nail salon after another opened. Smart move! Good prices, good service, very popular, and helped the newcomers establish themselves.

Unfortunately for masseuses, they too often are assaulted. The two I know say they have to be careful about customers/clients and set up their offices so they can't become trapped.

Maybe the terminology needs to change from massage parlor to massage therapy clinic?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:19 am Unfortunately for masseuses, they too often are assaulted. The two I know say they have to be careful about customers/clients and set up their offices so they can't become trapped.

Maybe the terminology needs to change from massage parlor to massage therapy clinic?
I agree. I think the general public idea of a 'massage parlor" means a "happy ending" -- but they are not back rooms at a strip club doing kink. We only hear the bad stories. Masseuses are providing a medical therapeutic procedure -- but not THAT kind.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Houston Chronicle
@HoustonChron
An assault on the Korean owners of a beauty supply shop in Houston is being investigated as a possible hate crime, police said. The attackers used racial language during the assault, one victim told The Chronicle. https://chrn.cl/2NNJDcL
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-25/ ... /100028102

Jay Leno apologises for jokes made towards Asian Americans for more than a decade

American television host Jay Leno has apologised for more than a decade of jokes about Asian Americans, saying he had committed a "legitimate wrong."

Key points:
MANAA has been seeking an apology from Leno ever since 2002
A spike in hate crimes against the Asian American community has received renewed attention since a shooting in Atlanta last week
Leno hosted The Tonight Show for more than 20 years
The apology by Leno, the former host of US television's popular Tonight Show, follows a long campaign by the Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) and a spike in hate crimes against the community that has received renewed attention since a shooting in Atlanta last week that left eight people dead, six of them Asian-American women.

MANAA said that between 2002 and 2012 Leno made at least nine documented jokes about Koreans or Chinese people eating dogs or cats.

The group has been seeking an apology ever since 2002 and said on Wednesday that it received one in a February call with Leno.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/3 ... heir-names
Wondering if there’s something anti-racist you can do? Learn how to pronounce Asian names

Multiple studies have found that mispronouncing the names of students not only impacts their confidence and emotional well-being but harms their ability to learn. Additionally, a 2012 study titled “Teachers, Please Learn Our Names!: Racial Microaggressions and the K-12 Classrooms” found that mispronouncing the names of students of color constituted a racial microaggression because it created shame and disassociation from one’s culture.

I am far from alone in this experience, and the recent incidents sparking outrage in the Asian American community are witness to this. From individuals refusing to pronounce Vice President Kamala Harris’ name correctly to people not acknowledging the names of those who have been impacted by the increasing violence against Asian Americans, the fight for equality never ends.

If we want to support the Asian American community, the first thing we must do is learn how to address its members properly. Learning to pronounce a person's name correctly is not just a common courtesy—it’s an important effort in creating an inclusive environment.

The first step to learning how to pronounce someone’s name is asking and actively listening.

I still am surprised when people say my name and ask if they said it correctly. These little actions make such a difference. Here’s an example of what you can say: “It’s important for me to pronounce your name correctly. Can you say it for me phonetically, please?” Simple questions like this not only show that you respect someone’s identity but that you are genuinely interested in learning how to pronounce their name correctly.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:17 pm https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/3 ... heir-names
Wondering if there’s something anti-racist you can do? Learn how to pronounce Asian names
What? Not having birthers refer to Wong Kim Ark as Mr. Ark? What's the world coming to.

Oh, that's right, they like their racism so they will continue on.
101010 :towel:
Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-31/ ... /100039808

and 3 people did nothing but close the door on the victim!

:mad:
Dave from down under

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Learn how to pronounce Asian names
When we ran the flower shop, one time a Vietnamese family had us do a funeral arrangement with a 5" wide ribbon banner with a lot of names on it. The lady patiently spelled out each name to me on the phone, whereupon I repeated them back to her, pronouncing each name correctly. She was flabbergasted, but I told her, I used to live in Orange County, CA.

I learned a long time ago that if you learn to pronounce people's names correctly, you've done a good thing.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Michigan man pleads guilty to smashing teen's face with a bike lock.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/michi ... -ntp-feeds

Apparently, the guy was openly shouting racial slurs and telling the teen and his friends that black people were not welcome on the beach.

Its hard to believe, in this day and age, that someone would be so blatant about their racism. Sad.

I guess he is a "very fine person".
somerset

Post by somerset »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 am
Learn how to pronounce Asian names
When we ran the flower shop, one time a Vietnamese family had us do a funeral arrangement with a 5" wide ribbon banner with a lot of names on it. The lady patiently spelled out each name to me on the phone, whereupon I repeated them back to her, pronouncing each name correctly. She was flabbergasted, but I told her, I used to live in Orange County, CA.

I learned a long time ago that if you learn to pronounce people's names correctly, you've done a good thing.
Many years ago I was chairing a technical session, where one of the duties is to introduce the speakers. One of the speakers had the surname "Amerasekera" and I spent some time getting the pronunciation right. He laughed and said, "You're really stressing out over this, aren't you?" I just smiled and said, "Yeah." It's a little thing that goes a long way :biggrin:

But conversely, I also have a number of Chinese friends, in particular in Singapore, who choose to shorten their given names to initials, or prefer that I use their "western" name. My old boss is Cher Shen, which is a syllable combination some westerners have trouble saying properly. So rather than put his western colleagues (he used to work for IBM) through the embarrassment of mispronouncing his name, he just prefers to be called "CS." My current boss, whom I've known for many years by his Chinese name, is now trying to move up in our multi-national company (headquartered in Graz, Austria), so prefers to be called "Bob" whenever we're in group meetings.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I was doing a gig in Hong Kong, met the fellows in the sound crew. "Hi, I'm Jim," and "I'm Bob," they said as we shook hands.

"Nah, come on, I should learn your real names," I asked. They obliged. Big mistake on my part.

"Nice to meet you Jim and Bob, it's gonna be a pleasure working with you!"

One thing about this latest bit of racial acrimony worries me. It's revealing some fault-lines between our Black and Asian-American communities. Historically, we've seen how this can escalate quickly. Some of this stress seems manufactured, deliberately. In one of the widely-circulated videos, the Chinatown victim wasn't Asian, he was Latino. This has been reported, but never publicly corrected.

I thought things might settle down after the boogeyman was gone. Another big mistake on my part.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A sports announcer is suing Gannett and the journalists who said he used a racial slur on a hot mic

https://www.poynter.org/locally/2021/a- ... a-hot-mic/
Scott Sapulpa filed suit in Oklahoma district court on Thursday against Gannett, The Oklahoman and USA Today; reporter Cameron Jourdan; reporter Nuria Martinez-Keel; high school announcer Matt Rowan; NFHS Network LLC; and CBS Sports Inc. The suit “seeks compensation for damages for defamation … negligence, gross negligence, malicious wrong,” and other claims.

The situation began March 11 during the broadcast of a girls’ high school basketball tournament, which Rowan’s company was contracted to stream. During the national anthem of one of the games, members of one of the girls’ teams took a knee. One of the broadcasters — apparently unaware that he was still live — is heard to say, “They’re kneeling?… I hope they lose … hell, no,” and the N-word, among other profanities.

The clip was posted to social media the next day.

In reporting on the breaking story, The Oklahoman initially named Sapulpa as the person who went on the racist tirade against the kneeling athletes. That ID was picked up by other outlets, including CBS. The Oklahoman later removed his name from the story. Their correction reads, “The Oklahoman in an earlier version of this story identified an individual as the person who made the racist comments, based on official sources who were familiar with the incident. That information was incorrect.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Olympic gold medalist Chloe Kim shares her experiences with anti-Asian hate

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/i ... asian-hate
As hate crimes targeting Asian Americans increase in the United States, snowboarder Chloe Kim, a first-generation Korean American and the reigning Olympic halfpipe gold medalist, told ESPN that recent attacks and hateful social media messages have taken a toll on her mental health.

On Wednesday night, Kim posted a screenshot of a message she had received in her Instagram direct messages a few moments earlier. "You dumb Asian b----," it read. "Kiss my ass." In the Instagram story post, Kim added, "I get hundreds of these messages and it breaks my heart that people think this type of behavior is okay." Now 20, Kim explained that she has received similar messages since she won her first medal at X Games Aspen at age 13. "I feel really helpless and afraid at times," she wrote. "I'm really struggling."

:snippity:

The social media abuse began when Kim was 13, after she won her first medal, a silver in the halfpipe, at the 2014 X Games in Aspen, Colorado. After the contest, she posted a photo of her medal on Instagram, where she already had hundreds of thousands of followers. She became emotional describing what happened next.

"People belittled my accomplishment because I was Asian," Kim said. "There were messages in my DMs telling me to go back to China and to stop taking medals away from the white American girls on the team. I was so proud of my accomplishment, but instead I was sobbing in bed next to my mom, asking her, 'Why are people being so mean because I'm Asian?'"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Don't know to plunk this, so I'll post it here.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

Return to “Current Politics”