The Epidemic of Male Fragility

Addie

The Epidemic of Male Fragility

Post by Addie »

Chicago Tribune - Rex Huppke
Let's discuss the epidemic of male fragility

Bret Stephens, Donald Trump and the rest: Stop acting like you're the only one in the world whose feelings matter.

The world needs a safe space to house its growing population of extremely breakable men.

New York Times columnist Bret Stephens shattered to pieces because a university professor jokingly compared him to a bedbug. Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said he won’t take millions of dollars the European Union has offered to help combat Amazon rainforest fires until French President Emmanuel Macron apologizes for past critical comments.

Male fragility seems rampant.

An editor at the New York Times was recently demoted in part because he responded to an author’s correct criticism of his racially insensitive tweets by demanding the author apologize to him.

A sitting member of Congress, Rep. Devin Nunes of California, is suing Twitter and two parody accounts that regularly make fun of him, saying in the lawsuit that their tweets are something “no human being should ever have to bear and suffer in their whole life.” One account pretends to be Nunes’ mom and the other pretends to be a cow from Nunes’ family farm. A cow! ...

The most remarkable thing about most of these men and their Fabergé-egg-like egos is they’re often the first to gripe about the ills of “political correctness.”

RoadScholar

Re: The Epidemic of Male Fragility

Post by RoadScholar »

“Snowflakes.”

Their projection is always so predictable.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ce/595777/?
What Ails the Right Isn’t (Just) Racism
An authoritarian fear of difference best explains the intolerance sweeping the Republican Party.

No one better anticipated today’s societal divisions than the political psychologist Karen Stenner, author of the 2005 book The Authoritarian Dynamic. The book built on research literature that distinguishes between “authoritarians,” who prize what Stenner calls “oneness and sameness” so much so that they are prone to support coercion to effect it, and “libertarians,” who not only defend but affirmatively prize diversity and difference. (Those labels are not to be conflated with the popular definitions of the terms.)

Stenner began her research with a questionnaire that probed the attitudes of her subjects toward child-rearing. Their answers indicated the extent to which they think that it’s more important for kids to obey their parents, have good manners, be neat and clean, and follow the rules—or alternatively, that it’s more important that they are responsible for their own actions, and creative, curious, independent thinkers who follow their own conscience and show good judgment. Designed to provide an unobtrusive, bare-bones measure of each subject’s fundamental stances toward conformity and difference, the child-rearing questionnaires were scored and the subjects arrayed from most libertarian to most authoritarian. Stenner was most interested in the people who scored at the extreme poles.

(Description of double blind study as follow up to original interviews).

Using “racist” as a shorthand to describe Stenner’s intolerant subjects is inadequate. Remember, they were distinguished eight months prior to being interviewed only by how they answered seemingly innocuous questions about child-rearing. The scores on those questionnaires turned out to predict huge differences in their behavior and interactions with interviewers of different races, who recorded their impressions without knowing the predispositions of their interview subjects or Stenner’s hypothesis.

That’s because their intolerance of difference was much broader than racism, encompassing racial and ethnic out-groups, political dissidents, and people they consider moral deviants. Authoritarians display distinct traits across very different domains of tolerance. Stenner added that this intolerance manifests most commonly in demands for broad conformity, typically including “legal discrimination against minorities and restrictions on immigration; limits on free speech, assembly, and association; and the regulation of moral behavior, for example, via policies regarding school prayer, abortion, censorship, and homosexuality, and their punitive enforcement.”
So this fragility is a result of anxiety about differences.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Back to the topic of male fragility.

Recently my husband and I attended a dinner after a golf tournament. One of his golfing partners, a very successful upper level manager at GM, recounted a story about how shortly after he graduated from The University of Michigan he went for an interview as a school counselor. He was the only white male in the room of prospects, and said somebody mentioned to him he probably didn't have a good chance, given that all of the other prospects were "women and minorities." He did not get the job. So instead he was doomed to a life of great financial rewards. :roll:

The point is that he still was "wounded" enough by this experience to recount this several decades later. I was going to ask him to tell me more about how hard it was to be a rich white male in this country, but that night I held my tongue.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It's not male fragility. If that was the case then people Ann Coulter, Laura Loomer and... that blonde with the smokers voice on FOX wouldnt exist and wouldnt be complaining loudly about stuff. Nor would this entitled grifter.

Hell theres Sharon Rhondeo

Its not hard to find Maga women who are doing the same thing as the men. Its so ubiquitous that I really dont see why people are just singling out men for this, and as a man I just have to say "uh, no."
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

No, it's male fragility and the women who want to grift off them.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, interesting perspective.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Irish Times: Why is Greta Thunberg so triggering for certain men?

How can a 16-year-old girl in plaits, dedicated to trying to save the planet, inspire such incandescent rage?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Addie wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:18 am
Irish Times: Why is Greta Thunberg so triggering for certain men?

How can a 16-year-old girl in plaits, dedicated to trying to save the planet, inspire such incandescent rage?
But who’s the real freak – the activist whose determination has single-handedly started a powerful global movement for change, or the middle-aged man taunting a child with Asperger syndrome from behind the safety of their computer screens?
I suspect the rage has always been there, but restricted to the person's immediate family and friends. Now it's amplified, first through Usenet and its predecessors, now through social media.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:38 pm
Back to the topic of male fragility.

Recently my husband and I attended a dinner after a golf tournament. One of his golfing partners, a very successful upper level manager at GM, recounted a story about how shortly after he graduated from The University of Michigan he went for an interview as a school counselor. He was the only white male in the room of prospects, and said somebody mentioned to him he probably didn't have a good chance, given that all of the other prospects were "women and minorities." He did not get the job. So instead he was doomed to a life of great financial rewards. :roll:
Yeah, and that's not even how things like affirmative action work — it's not to make sure you hire diverse people but to make sure you reach out to a diverse field. Who you hire is still up to you, and most organizations hire the best candidate — who may be a woman, POC, veteran, etc. Invariably, if you reach out to a diverse field you're going to have a diverse work force.

I have a friend who was passed over for a job in favor of a POC (who he swore was not as qualified, but do you think anyone is more qualified than you when job hunting?). If he'd been passed over for another person like himself, he wouldn't have even thought of it. I think he still resents it.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

The author is speaking about the film critic for The New Yorker

https://www.themarysue.com/hustlers-rev ... e-justice/
When you see Hustlers, the male characters are not something you focus on—mainly because they have no real purpose to this story other than being the victims of the scheme that Ramona (Jennifer Lopez) and Dorothy (Constance Wu) undertake in order to keep their wallets full and their kids off the street.

We understand their purpose, and the men’s lives are not really stories we need. This movie isn’t about them. Still, Richard Brody was clearly more interested in characters like Chuck, a man we never see, who pays for Ramona’s home—not someone meant to take our interest, but just to set up the lifestyle that Ramona has and how she uses her body, and the men willing to pay to see it, to her advantage.

But the fact that a reviewer was more interested in what these men were doing says so much about the films we already have at our disposal. Here’s the thing: Welcome to the world of being a female viewer. Do you know how often we all sit through a movie and watch a woman play the part of Chuck or Gary or Steven (Devin Ratray)? Regularly—almost constantly. Sure, we want to learn more about these female characters and love them, but that’s because we, as female viewers, so rarely get that chance. That’s just not the case for men.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian: Strong, smart teen girls have had enough. No wonder men like Trump are rattled

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Wasn't sure where to put this...

Mansplaining convention coming to Orlando promises to 'Make Women Great Again
Brought to you by the same Orlando-based bros who host the 21 Convention to "actualize the ideal man," the 22 Convention is coming to "make women great again."

The May 1-3 event will be held at an Orlando location disclosed to only to those who pay for admission. Tickets cost $1,999 (there's a sale for $999), and are only sold to women. All of the speakers are men.

"Women today are being taught to act more like men," says the 22 Convention website, which they say has led to divorce, depression, dysfunction, and rampant single motherhood. "No longer will you have to give in to toxic bullying feminist dogma and go against your biological nature," say organizers.
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc ... 6Z4aqzVF-k

Am I being detained?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

There is just SO much wrong with that there is just no place to start.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

At that price I doubt they will get many attendees. At $20 a head some women might show up just to give those guys a good talking to. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

I think it sounds like a scam to me, but there are people dumb enough to fall for it. Sounds like an Incel convention to me. Toxic.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

They’ve got Cernovich and “Texas Dom” scheduled to speak. Manly Man role models for sure ;)

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Karl Koenigs should go. While in Florida he could jail all those judges, cops and District Attorneys who violated his Constitutional Right to drive while drunk.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

NotaPerson wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:37 am

Jacob Wohl and fellow incels organized this?
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

neonzx wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:15 pm
NotaPerson wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:37 am

Jacob Wohl and fellow incels organized this?
I saw a comment on Daily Kos: this is the Fyre Festival for incels.

Probably as likely to be pulled off successfully. Wonder if the failure of the women's event will be a topic for discussion for the separate men's event. "Proving" that women are evil for not flocking to learn how to submit to men is potent toxic fuel for incel sickness.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:25 pm
I think it sounds like a scam to me, but there are people dumb enough to fall for it. Sounds like an Incel convention to me. Toxic.
They might be hoping to attract some curious reporters who are not paying for tickets out of pocket.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So the pitch is that its a conference for woman so that some men can tell them how to be subservient? Sorry, I don't think this is serious. I don't think the most quiverful cultist would fall for that, at least not enough to shell out a couple of grand for the privilege.

I do realise they are using the outrage internet for free advertising, and maybe that is the point, its just to advertise themselves. They may be trying the Trump model of charging huge money up front and expecting people to flock in therefore profit, but Trump hasn't made money.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Maybe they’re just trolling for the type of women they want to date... submissive, dim-witted and rich. :twisted:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Notorial Dissent

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:38 pm
Maybe they’re just trolling for the type of women they want to date... submissive, dim-witted and rich. :twisted:
That would be my interpretation.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Suranis wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:26 pm
So the pitch is that its a conference for woman so that some men can tell them how to be subservient?
Abrahamic religions in a nutshell.
Sorry, I don't think this is serious. I don't think the most quiverful cultist would fall for that, at least not enough to shell out a couple of grand for the privilege.
Not when her own holy books/religious leaders/male family members are doing it to her already (and have been for generations).
I've heard this bull before.

Return to “Social Issues”