Volkonski

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by Volkonski » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 am

Scott Wong

@scottwongDC

Trump moves to ban most transgender people from serving in military -
http://
thehill.com/homenews/admin
istration/380050-trump-bans-most-transgender-americans-from-serving-in-the-military

9:10 PM - Mar 23, 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:43 am

https://www.out.com/popnography/2017/12 ... ld#slide-0
Slide show with descriptions.
20 LGBT People Who Changed the World
world-changers-x750_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Threatening letters persuade gay teacher to leave Kansas school

By Sherman Smith / Gatehouse Media Kansas

Following months of harassment, Michael Hill abandoned his job and home state for Palm Springs, Calif.

TOPEKA, Kan. — The threats began shortly after Michael Hill revealed he is gay in October on National Coming Out Day.

Following months of harassment, the Nemaha Valley High School visual arts teacher and lifelong Kansan has abandoned his job and home state for the more welcoming environment of Palm Springs, Calif.

“Things got ugly,” Hill said, “and I started to fear for my own well-being.”

A series of hate-filled letters told Hill his openly gay lifestyle wouldn’t be tolerated by the Seneca community. If he didn’t leave, one letter promised, the anonymous author would “take matters into my own hands.” His car tire was punctured with a screwdriver. He found “f----t” written in the dust on his car.

Hill said he reported the incidents to police, who couldn’t identify the culprit. He was too afraid to leave his apartment at night and suffered from severe mental stress.

The school district initially was supportive, he said, allowing him to take medical leave in mid-January. But after seven weeks of unpaid leave, Hill was told it was time to resign or return to class.

http://www.patriotledger.com/zz/news/20 ... sas-school

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in Alabama
Former Miss Alabama 2004 and Miss America 2005 Deidre Downs Gunn married her girlfriend, attorney Abbott Jones, in a ceremony Saturday at the Birmingham Museum of Art. They flew out Sunday night from Atlanta for a honeymoon in Ireland.
Deidre, a UAB obstetrician-gynecologist specializing in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, and Abbott shared their joy from their honeymoon in a statement to AL.com on Monday.

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 01, 2018 1:51 pm

RWW: The Persecution Of Kim Davis, According To Kim Davis:
Davis recalls a conversation with a Democratic county judge executive, Doc Blevins, who “believed, like me, that marriage is between a man and a woman” but “wouldn’t take my side in public.”
Kim, he said, “I’m not as strong as you. I just can’t do it.”

“Well, I’ll tell you what I’m going to do,” I replied. “I’m going to pray for you. I’m going to pray that this rolls over in your mind again and again and again. And I’m going to pray that your bed is like a bed of nails and your pillow is like a rock so that you cannot sleep. That this consumes you, that it keeps you awake because you will not do for your Lord.”
Well, bless her heart.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm

It is good that Kim Davis understands and spreads Jesus's message of hatred for all people.

:sarcasm: -- she's nasty.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Her sanctimony exceeds her charity. Perhaps she missed the message.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

It seems like Gay Marriage and Gay Rights are getting much more acceptance within the society. Apparently the only two religious groups that have a majority opposing them are Evangelical Christians, and Mormons.

More can be found here: https://www.prri.org/research/emerging- ... ues-atlas/

Dr. Blue

Post by Dr. Blue » Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 pm

dunstvangeet wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm
It seems like Gay Marriage and Gay Rights are getting much more acceptance within the society. Apparently the only two religious groups that have a majority opposing them are Evangelical Christians, and Mormons.

Interesting. I think I'll hold on to this quote the next time some RWNJ blathers about how liberals are too accepting of Muslims because, of course, all Muslims want to throw gay people off buildings:
A slim majority of Muslims (51%) favor same-sex marriage, but only 34% are opposed
And I would be sadly remiss if I didn't acknowledge that on the state-by-state part of that poll, Alabama is the least accepting state in the country. Sigh.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Dr. Blue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 pm
dunstvangeet wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Interesting. I think I'll hold on to this quote the next time some RWNJ blathers about how liberals are too accepting of Muslims because, of course, all Muslims want to throw gay people off buildings:
A slim majority of Muslims (51%) favor same-sex marriage, but only 34% are opposed
And I would be sadly remiss if I didn't acknowledge that on the state-by-state part of that poll, Alabama is the least accepting state in the country. Sigh.
But look how many of them had no problem with Roy Moore dating a 14 year old when he was 32. They hardly even blinked about that. Course, he's a white man AND an evangelical.

The absolute love affair evangelicals have with Donald Trump has shown their true colors and blown their hypocrisy wide open. As far as I'm concerned, they have no credibility whatsoever and nothing they have to say about morals is worth a listen.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

tampabay.com (AP): Congressional, legislative races on tap in Kentucky primary:
Kentucky residents will head to the polls in a midterm primary election with nominations up for grabs in the U.S. House and the Legislature.

More than 3.3 million Kentuckians are registered to vote, and Election Day polls open Tuesday at 6 a.m. and close at 6 p.m. local time.

Rowan County Democrats will choose a nominee to challenge the county clerk who spent five days in jail for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

The clerk, Kim Davis, is now a Republican and will face the winner of the four-way Democratic primary. The challengers include David Ermold, a gay man who was initially denied a marriage license in 2015.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 pm

bob wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm
tampabay.com (AP): Congressional, legislative races on tap in Kentucky primary:
Kentucky residents will head to the polls in a midterm primary election with nominations up for grabs in the U.S. House and the Legislature.

More than 3.3 million Kentuckians are registered to vote, and Election Day polls open Tuesday at 6 a.m. and close at 6 p.m. local time.

Rowan County Democrats will choose a nominee to challenge the county clerk who spent five days in jail for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

The clerk, Kim Davis, is now a Republican and will face the winner of the four-way Democratic primary. The challengers include David Ermold, a gay man who was initially denied a marriage license in 2015.
I remember the photo of Mr Ermold. It was a thing of true beauty. He was filling out the official paperwork to run against Kim Davis while she had to sit there and witness it. I'm not saying I would vote for him just because he's gay, but it would be the sweetest revenge if he were to kick her rear end and take her job.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:39 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/us/p ... f=headline

:evil:
Supreme Court Sides With Baker Who Turned Away Gay Couple

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court sided with a Colorado baker on Monday in a closely watched case pitting gay rights against claims of religious freedom.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, writing for the majority in the 7-2 decision, relied on narrow grounds, saying a state commission had violated the Constitution’s protection of religious freedom in ruling against the baker, who had refused to create a custom wedding cake for a gay couple.

The case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, No. 16-111, arose from a brief encounter in 2012, when David Mullins and Charlie Craig visited Jack Phillips’s bakery, Masterpiece Cakeshop, in Lakewood, Colo. The two men were going to be married in Massachusetts, and they were looking for a wedding cake for a reception in Colorado.

Mr. Phillips turned them down, saying he would not use his talents to convey a message of support for same-sex marriage at odds with his religious faith. Mr. Mullins and Mr. Craig said they were humiliated by Mr. Phillips’s refusal to serve them, and they filed a complaint with Colorado’s civil rights commission, saying that Mr. Phillips had violated a state law barring discrimination based on sexual orientation

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:45 am

Next up... refusing to serve a mixed race couple based on your sincerely held religious beliefs. Or blacks or Jews.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 am

It is a cheap decision: It merely rules that the baker didn't get a fair shake from the state, and not that the baker was correct.

Punt punt punt: Kennedy knew he didn't have the votes, so it is a narrow ruling in an effort to salvage his legacy.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am

bob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 am
It is a cheap decision: It merely rules that the baker didn't get a fair shake from the state, and not that the baker was correct.

Punt punt punt: Kennedy knew he didn't have the votes, so it is a narrow ruling in an effort to salvage his legacy.
I think it was more powerful than simply a cheap decision or a punt. It reminds civil rights groups that, if you are going to make a legal argument, be very careful to be respectful and differential to Christianity. If you do not, then you are bias and your legal arguments are irrelevant, because nothing is more important than the feelings of majority groups.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am

bob wrote:

Sad but true. If Kennedy didn't have the votes that probably meant Breyer was agin him. We know where RGB, Sotomayor and Kagan stand.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:29 am

neeneko wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am
I think it was more powerful than simply a cheap decision or a punt. It reminds civil rights groups that, if you are going to make a legal argument, be very careful to be respectful and differential to Christianity. If you do not, then you are bias and your legal arguments are irrelevant, because nothing is more important than the feelings of majority groups.
Obstensibly, it is a reminder to quasi-adjudicative bodies. "Very fine people on both sides." :roll:

(I'm waiting for Taitz to take credit for this decision.)

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am
bob wrote:

Sad but true. If Kennedy didn't have the votes that probably meant Breyer was agin him. We know where RGB, Sotomayor and Kagan stand.
Breyer joined Kagan's concurrence that this case turned with those comments, not the legal analysis.

It reality, I think that it would have been a 5-4 decision, maybe a 6-3. Out of the various opinions you have the following:

Kagan, joined by Breyer, ephesizing that this case turned with those comments, rather than the legal analysis. They probably would have been against the baker if it was just legal analysis.

Ginsburg and Sotomayor disagreeing with it, saying that those comments ultimately made no effect on the outcome of the case.

Goursch, joined by Alito, put out a concurring opinion, basically saying that there's no difference between discriminating on the basis of the design of the cake, and discriminating against the customer (an analysis that I find wanting, especially considering that Mr. Phillips denied the cake no matter how the cake was decorated, while the Azucar bakery case was clearly about the decoration of the cake).

Thomas, joined by Gourch, put out an opinion that basically said that on the underlying principles, he would have ruled for the baker.

So, out of 9 Justices, you have 5 opinions out there. Which means, in legal terms, this opinion is a mess.

So, if it had come down to a ruling on the merits, you would have anywhere from a 5-4 ruling for the baker (presuming that Kennedy would have gone that way), to a 6-3 ruling for the gay couple (Roberts and Kennedy joining the 4 Liberal Justices).

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Quick question. With their ruling focusing on the bias of the Civil Rights Commission, why did they outright overrule the decision, rather than setting aside the ruling, and remanding it back to the Lower Court for a rehearing? That seems to me to be the right ruling, considering the course that they took.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 pm

dunstvangeet wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 pm
With their ruling focusing on the bias of the Civil Rights Commission, why did they outright overrule the decision, rather than setting aside the ruling, and remanding it back to the Lower Court for a rehearing? That seems to me to be the right ruling, considering the course that they took.
It seems like a compromise decision, based partially on the fact that the case spanned back to 2012, i.e., pre-Obergefell. It was a way to let this particular litigant win this particular case, but holds open the door for a different case. (Including, theoretically, if this baker again refuses to make a cake for a same-sex wedding.)

So it feels like SCOTUS wanted to dismiss this particular case with prejudice, and the idea was to "punish" the state for its wrongdoing (being biased), to deter it (and other, similar agencies) from doing the same thing.

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 pm

I just have one question about this ruling: when did Republican become a religion?

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 pm
I just have one question about this ruling: when did Republican become a religion?
With Reagan, I think. Because the democrats were godless.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 pm

much ado wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 pm
With Reagan, I think. Because the democrats were godless.
I was just watching a piece talking about the shift in the republican party that happened with Reagan, with his presidency moving the power in the party from east coast conservatives to mid-west theocrats. So yeah.. with Reagan the GoP became a religion.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:19 pm

East coast conservatives were a good thing. So were Northwest Republicans. Maybe not the Midwest? Except Lincoln and Dirksen.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Social Issues”