Is Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again?

Estiveo

Re: Is Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again?

Post by Estiveo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Her white privilege was showing...

Her: excuse me i believe you may be in the wrong place you need to let us thru. This line is for priority boarding
Me: priority meaning first class correct?
Her: Yes...now excuse me they will call y’all after we board
Me: *shove first class priority boarding pass in her face* you can relax ma’am I’m in the right spot, been here longer, so you can board after me
Her: *still won’t let It go* he must be military or something, but we paid for our seats so he still should have to wait
Me: nope to big to ever be in anybodies military. I’m just a nigga with money 💰 🤷🏾‍♂️
Everybody waiting in line: starts to clap lmao

Image Image Image Image Image

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:37 pm

On eve of Trump visit, Mississippi blacks say he’s brought back troubles of the past
By Marc Fisher December 7 at 4:48 PM

JACKSON, Miss. — The president is coming to America’s poorest, blackest state to open a civil rights museum on Saturday, and people in the neighborhoods surrounding that gleaming tribute to the past would rather have Donald Trump visit their present.

“It’s hostile now, more hostile than in a long, long time,” said Pete McElroy, who employs three men at the auto repair shop that’s been his family’s business for three generations. “People almost boast about it: ‘We got our man in the White House and this is the way the ball’s going to roll now.’ ”

Three miles from the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum, over rutted roads, past littered lots, abandoned houses and shuttered plants and warehouses, McElroy, 69, and other black residents of this struggling capital city say that after nearly a year of the Trump presidency, they have a definitive answer to the question candidate Trump posed when he spoke at a rally in Jackson in August of last year.

“What do you have to lose?” Trump asked, making a quixotic and ultimately failed bid for black votes to a nearly all-white crowd.

“We’re losing a lot,” McElroy said here this week. “Losing Obamacare. Where are people going to go? Losing money. He’s making the rich richer and the poor poorer. Mostly, we’re losing respect. No way you can evade that. The way he speaks, the racists feel like they can say anything they want to us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:46 pm

America - Newark Riots (1967)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 am

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ory-216200
Excellent article. Historical connections -it's got 'em!!!!
Does the White Working Class Really Vote Against Its Own Interests?
Trump’s first year in office revived an age-old debate about why some people choose race over class—and how far they will go to protect the system.

The first in this series, perhaps the most fundamental, centers around the white working class. Are working-class white voters shooting themselves in the foot by making common cause with a political movement that is fundamentally inimical to their economic self-interest? In exchange for policies like the new tax bill, which several nonpartisan analyses conclude will lower taxes on the wealthy and raise them for the working class, did they really just settle for a wall that will likely never be built, a rebel yell for Confederate monuments most of them will never visit, and the hollow validation of a disappearing world in which white was up and brown and black were down?

If they did accept that bargain, why? Or are we missing something? Might working-class whites in fact derive some tangible advantage from their bargain with Trump? Is it really so irrational to care more about, say, illegal immigration than marginal income tax rates?

These are good questions. They’re also not new ones. The historian W.E.B. Du Bois asked them more than 80 years ago in his seminal work on Reconstruction, when he posited that working-class Southern whites were complicit, or at least passive instruments, in their own political and economic disenfranchisement. They forfeited real power and material well-being, he argued, in return for the “psychological” wages associated with being white.

Since then, the issue has inspired a vibrant debate among historians. Until last year, most agreed with Du Bois that the answer to the question was not so simple as “yes” or “no”—that whiteness sometimes conferred benefits both imaginary and real.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Good article. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

:like:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 am

I strongly recommend The Potlikker Papers: A Food History of the Modern South by John T. Edge. Yes, it discusses food in every decade, including in this decade with its Southern food flavored by lemongrass. But it is mostly about how a region changed and a people rose — although no one can tell whether Trump and the evil he has unleashed will cause a relapse.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 am
I strongly recommend The Potlikker Papers: A Food History of the Modern South by John T. Edge. Yes, it discusses food in every decade, including in this decade with its Southern food flavored by lemongrass. But it is mostly about how a region changed and a people rose — although no one can tell whether Trump and the evil he has unleashed will cause a relapse.
:like:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 am

The amazing thing is that when I typed “evil,” it was a horrendous typo, with not a single letter in the correct place. Yet the board suggested the word I intended. Either it learns and I am becoming predictable, or the ambiance of the culture is seeping into spellcheck.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Racist flyers in Providence lead to press conference promoting unity
Posted: Feb 05, 2018 11:11 PM
Updated: Feb 05, 2018 11:11 PM

By Alana Cerrone

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) - Local NAACP President Jim Vincent is unfazed by the distribution of racist flyers in Providence.

"If they think they're going to silence me they did the opposite. I'm more emboldened now than ever before."

Instead, he and other city leaders held a press conference - so big it shut down part of a road - to spread a message of unity.

"We will rise above this hatred and go on to a victorious victory - as one city."

The flyers were found on doors of homes near Brown University and in Pawtucket near McCoy Stadium.

The heading reads "Negro Crime" and accuses Vincent of defrauding the local NAACP.

The flyer was accompanied by a pamphlet showing pictures of several people, including a minor, who've been arrested for various crimes in Providence.

"They try to almost use them as an example that the black community in Rhode Island is dysfunctional."

Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza among those saying the bigotry has trickled down from a national level.

http://www.abc6.com/story/37432194/raci ... ting-unity

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 am

California police worked with neo-Nazis to pursue 'anti-racist' activists, documents show

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ssion=true
California police investigating a violent white nationalist event worked with white supremacists in an effort to identify counter-protesters and sought the prosecution of activists with “anti-racist” beliefs, court documents show.

The records, which also showed officers expressing sympathy with white supremacists and trying to protect a neo-Nazi organizer’s identity, were included in a court briefing from three anti-fascist activists who were charged with felonies after protesting at a Sacramento rally. The defendants were urging a judge to dismiss their case and accused California police and prosecutors of a “cover-up and collusion with the fascists”.

Defense lawyers said the case at the state capital offers the latest example of US law enforcement appearing to align with neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups while targeting anti-fascist activists and Donald Trump protesters after violent clashes.

“It is shocking and really angering to see the level of collusion and the amount to which the police covered up for the Nazis,” said Yvette Felarca, a Berkeley teacher and anti-fascist organizer after participating in the June 2016 Sacramento rally, where she said she was stabbed and bludgeoned in the head. “The people who were victimized by the Nazis were then victimized by the police and the district attorneys.”

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 am

Lani wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 am
California police worked with neo-Nazis to pursue 'anti-racist' activists, documents show

:snippity:
In discussions here of what would happen if Trump decided a nuclear strike would be amusing,, what law enforcement might do in another Bundy-style stand-off, etc., it's clear that there is a lot of respect for people in uniform, expecting them to do their duty conscientiously and impartially. These sort of events are a useful reminder that those uniforms also clothe Trumpists, racists, thugs, etc. Probably fewer than in the general population but still plenty.

When Arpaio was conducting his vindictive campaign against Latinos, it wasn't him personally performing all the stops and harassment. There appear to have been plenty of complicit deputies. Respect for uniforms must be measured and cautious.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 am

The state GOP disavowed this guy, but looks like he's still going to be on the ticket.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

One person's journey through racism and beyond:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/forme ... ar-BBIZIl3?
Former Klansman finds forgiveness and a friend in a black church

Bednarsky said he grew up in the Wade East apartments in Millville, about 45 miles south of Philadelphia, fighting with black teenagers on and off the bus. An interest in photography led him to take pictures of a Confederate flag on a neighbor's porch. That man was in the Klan, and Bednarsky, who wasn't close to his father, was slowly pulled in.

"He had children that were my age and I spent a lot of time there and I tell people that's when the brainwashing starts," Bednarsky said. "They tried to sell the Klan as a patriotic thing, as people who were proud of their race that did things for the white community."

The hate came later, he said, after he became a full Klansmen at 18. He worked as a general contractor and traveled to rallies all over the country, donning the white hoods, then later, more colorful ones that marked his higher rank. He said he stood in circles in dark fields with other Klansmen and their families, the forest behind them illuminated by a massive burning cross.

It was hard, he said, to give up the power, to realize he had used hate to inflate his ego, when the truth was that he didn't like himself very much.

"You get on this power trip and this hatred inside you grows and grows," he said.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Happened recently in a city near you
Seattle January 2018

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 pm

cause Youtube suggested this from second half of 2017

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:02 am

Jemisha
@JemiSHaaaZzz

Oregon man who followed a Black Muslim couple for 20 blocks, yelling racial slurs at them, burst into tears after he was charged with a hate crime.

My favorite type of bigot is the crying bigot
2:14 PM - Mar 19, 2018
Now that he has been arrested and charged he is sorry. :roll:

http://www.koin.com/news/accused-muslim ... /870121774
According to Sorrell, he doesn't know much about the Muslim faith nor had he taken any opportunities in the past to learn more about it.

Sorrell, who described himself as a patriot, said, "My ignorance and my stupidity is why I opened my mouth and I shouldn't have."

In regards to his hand gestures during the incident, Sorrell said he didn't use his hands to make it look like he was pulling a trigger. He said he uses his hands a lot when he talks. Sorrell also said he didn't own any guns.

Among his previous arrests are convictions for rape and harassment by telephone. He's also been accused of assault, harassment and strangulation, though those 2014 charges were dismissed.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 pm

BILL O’REILLY (HOST): For a long time skin color really wasn’t much of an issue. ‘80s and 90s, you didn’t hear a lot, yeah you always had your Farrakhan’s and your Sharpton’s, you always had those people, they were race hustlers
O'Reilly is a turd

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:56 am

on the lighter side (pun intended) ...

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 am

The Leadership Conference

@civilrightsorg

WATCH: During her confirmation hearing this morning (yes, this morning – in 2018), judicial nominee Wendy Vitter refused to say whether she agreed with the result in Brown v. Board of Education. #UnfitToJudge
1:27 PM - Apr 11, 2018
OnTheCouch
@10000Talkers

In addition the fact that she seems to support segregation, it's also scary that she implies one should judge whether or not a case was correctly decided based on their personal, political and religious beliefs rather than on an interpretation of laws and the Constitution.
1:45 PM - Apr 11, 2018

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Teen says he was asking for directions, but homeowner shot at him

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/us/michi ... index.html
A Michigan man is out on bail after police said he fired a shotgun at a teenager who had stopped at his house to ask directions.

Jeffery Craig Zeigler, 53, was charged Friday with assault with intent to murder and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

During Zeigner's arraignment, Judge Julie Nicholson entered a plea of not guilty for him.

The teen's mother told CNN affiliate WDIV she thought there was a racial component to the case. The teen is black and the man is white.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Melissa DePino
@missydepino
@Starbucks The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything. They were waiting for a friend to show up, who did as they were taken out in handcuffs for doing nothing. All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing.

5:12 PM - Apr 12, 2018

Thread with video at link. 2 real estate brokers were seated at Starbucks waiting for a friend to join them. So they were arrested for sitting while black.

Starbucks has issued a not-apology. Philly's mayor is having none of it.
Mayor’s Statement on Incident at Starbucks in Center City

PHILADELPHIA – Mayor Kenney today released the following statement in response to the incident earlier this week at a Starbucks in Center City:

“I am heartbroken to see Philadelphia in the headlines for an incident that — at least based on what we know at this point — appears to exemplify what racial discrimination looks like in 2018. For many, Starbucks is not just a place to buy a cup of coffee, but a place to meet up with friends or family members, or to get some work done. Like all retail establishments in our city, Starbucks should be a place where everyone is treated the same, no matter the color of their skin.

“Starbucks has issued an apology, but that is not enough. I have asked the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations to examine the firm’s policies and procedures, including the extent of, or need for, implicit bias training for its employees. We are reaching out to Starbucks to begin a discussion about this.

“Commissioner Ross and his team have promised a review of their policies moving forward with regards to response to complaints like this. I believe a thorough review is fully warranted given the unfortunate outcome of this event, particularly at a time when our criminal justice reform efforts are focused on avoiding needless incarcerations.”
https://beta.phila.gov/2018-04-14-mayor ... nter-city/

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:57 pm

The good news is that the white man was charged.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 pm

ABC News

@ABC
46m
NEW: Manager at Philadelphia Starbucks who called police, resulting in arrest of two black men in a situation Starbucks' CEO Kevin Johnson has called "reprehensible," is no longer an employee at the store, the coffee chain confirms.
https://
abcn.ws/2JPdryX

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 am

White woman charged in parking spot melee with 2 black women

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/whit ... n-54522073
A 71-year-old white woman has been charged with battery after she and her son argued with two black female service members over a parking spot outside a restaurant.

:snippity:

The report says 34-year-old Stephanie Mitchell told deputies that Tucker's adult son, Robbie, used obscene, sexist language as he told her and 27-year-old Treasure Sharpe to "learn how to park" on Saturday. Then, report says, the Tuckers followed the uniformed women inside, where Robbie Tucker called them "black lesbian b------."

Others inside the Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen restaurant began recording. Video shows Judy Tucker striking Sharpe in the face while trying to stop her from recording as well. At one point, Sharpe says "I'm pregnant," and Robbie Tucker says "Oh really, by her?"

The report says deputies reviewed cellphone video and determined that Judy Tucker was the primary aggressor, and there's no evidence suggesting the other women did anything wrong. Jail records show the Macon woman was arrested and released on $650 bond. The deputies wrote that they were still investigating and more charges could be pending.

Return to “Social Issues”