Acts of Kindness

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Good People Doing Good

Post #226 by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Drumpf has done good things for kids. For four kids to be exact: Eric, Donald, Jr., Ivanka and Tiffany.

And the GoFundMe donations are at $259,071 right now.

Jim

Post #227 by Jim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:23 pm

TollandRCR wrote:This is a wonderful story about a kind man and a nice kid.

The problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of Chauncy's. I don't criticize doing good for one kid, but how can we do good for many kids?

One child at a time.

TollandRCR

Post #228 by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Do you think that "one child at a time" is going to furnish all the apartments, stock all the refrigerators, dress every kid, and set up a college fund for each kid? Charity is great; blessings upon on those who are willing to give of their own. But most kids will not be touched. This requires collective action. There is more than enough money to cope with this problem. It is just in greedy hands now.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Patagoniagirl

Post #229 by Patagoniagirl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:14 am

Even when you can't do much, do what you can. These are some of the kids in my neck of the woods. They walk seven kilometers each way to catch a bus to school. Mister and I would give them a ride. While this looks unsafe, the maximum speed we can drive on that road is about five miles an hour!

I have Spanish English books for grades K-1- 5th grade. There was rarely a day that one or more would not stop by on their way home, or on Saturdays to read books and have a snack. While it isn't a couple hundred thousand dollars, I hope that small kindnesses might make a difference in a child's life. People can mentor a child, provide school clothes and books.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addie

Post #230 by Addie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:35 am

Charles Finch
‏@CharlesFinch

Man outside of a mosque in Texas this morning

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #231 by Addie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:03 pm

I'm thinking about a different thread title. I like this one and I know to look in Social Issues, but if people can't search for it, I should change it. :think:

¡Qué vergüenza!

listeme

Re: Acts of Kindness

Post #232 by listeme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:04 pm

People have been unusually generous to us the last few weeks -- maybe the horrid election results have made people want to push back in their own small ways.

Example: we got three turkey dinners, one from my liberal sister, one from my conservative brother, one from a stranger who was looking for someone who needed help. The one from my liberal sister had $50 dollars in it from one of her friends who heard about the layoff.

Verklempt.

I know it's not a big public thing, but I logged in to post it :) Logging out again, because I cannot take the political threads at all yet.

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Addie

Post #233 by Addie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 pm

I'm not posting the pictures. I can't bear it.

Independent

Pictures show starving Bulgarian orphan's incredible transformation after being adopted by US woman

A woman who flew half way round the world to adopt a malnourished Bulgarian orphan after seeing a picture of him on Facebook has shared pictures showing his incredible transformation a year later.

Priscilla Morse, from Tennessee, adopted Ryan Morse when he was seven-years-old and weighed only eight pounds. He was covered in hair as his body tried to save his life by keeping him warm.

Twelve months after Ryan was taken to the US, Mrs Morse shared pictures of what he looks like now on social media. He has grown significantly over the past year and currently weighs 23 pounds.

“The first meeting was pretty scary. He was bones and skin, he literally looked like a skeleton,” Mrs Morse told Inside Edition.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #234 by Addie » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:47 am

Chicago Tribune

7 million books and counting: One man’s fight for literacy among city’s at-risk kids

It's a Tuesday morning at Rowe Elementary, a charter school on the city's North Side, and in Ms. Voigts' third-grade class, the students are wide-eyed, clinging to the edges of their desks to still themselves. Each kid steps to the front and gets a shiny white plastic bag, then wades back into a moment that builds into a kind of feverish, break-the-pinata pandemonium. The bags are filled with books, not candy, but in an instant they are pulled out, spread across desks, passed with wonder from hand to hand. Kids are no longer using indoor voices: "Ooh, 'STAR WARS' — I love it!" "What did you get?" "I'll trade you …"

Hanging back in the corner near the door is Brian Floriani, a tall, slightly sheepish guy in a baseball cap who is, almost single-handedly, responsible for the uproar. The charity he founded in his North Shore garage seven years ago, Bernie's Book Bank, has now distributed more than 7 million books, and counting, to kids in the Chicago area.

The plan? To deliver 12 books per year, every year to every at-risk child from birth through sixth grade, throughout Chicagoland. Those kids are at Women, Infants and Children (WIC) centers and at schools like Rowe, where the percentage of children eligible for free or reduced lunch hovers at around 80 percent.

The numbers represent significant progress in an effort to make a dent in the daunting issue of literacy in at-risk communities, where book ownership boils down to stats like these: In a 2006 study published in the Handbook of Early Literacy Research, middle-income neighborhoods surveyed showed an average of 13 books per child. Low-income communities had approximately 300 children per one book. For Floriani, putting books into kids' hands isn't just a battle to change those numbers: It's a personal quest. ...

He decided to name the charity he had just founded Bernie's Book Bank, after his dad. And once he got started, he became a book delivery juggernaut, at the expense of nearly all else, plugging away at his mission by day, cleaning offices at night. "I was going nonstop," he says. "I had a sickness. But the sickness was that it didn't sit well with me what was going on with these kids. It still doesn't. We have a lot of work to do."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #235 by Addie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 am

People

Cops Say Uber Driver Saved Passenger, 16, from Sex Trafficking: ‘I Knew What Was Happening’

It started out like any other Uber transaction.

Keith Avila, a photographer who also drives for the ridesharing company, picked up two women and a girl at a home in Sacramento, California on Monday. As they got into the car, Avila noticed the girl looked young.

“She looked like she was about 12,” he tells PEOPLE, “but she was wearing a short skirt that showed off her legs.”

Almost immediately, Avila says, the conversation began to raise red flags. “The lady in the back started getting really upset,” he recalls. “She was yelling at the girl, ‘You need to get your priorities straight. We need to make this money.’ ” ...

Police say that they’re grateful to Avila for getting involved.

“He could’ve said nothing. Went on his way, collected his fare. And then that 16-year-old victim could’ve been victimized again by who knows how many different people over the next couple of days, weeks, months,” Elk Grove police Officer Chris Trim told FOX 40.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Foggy

Post #236 by Foggy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 am

:clap:

Cleanup in Thread #218!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #237 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/video/loc ... video.html
Free tatoo coverups:
:snippity:
Dave Cutlip, who runs Southside, said he and his wife developed the idea of free coverups in January after a man came into his tattoo parlor hoping to get a gang tattoo removed from his face.

“I could see the hurt in his eyes,” Cutlip said.

Cutlip, 49, couldn’t help the man, it turned out, because the tattoo was too prominent. Might he be able to help someone else? He and his wife turned to Facebook, offering free coverups for racist or gang tattoos with “no questions asked.”

“Sometimes people make bad choices, and sometimes people change,” the post reads. “. . . We believe that there is enough hate in this world and we want to make a difference.”

The post was so widely shared that Cutlip turned off Facebook notifications on his phone. He books the free coverup appointments on Tuesdays and has worked with seven clients so far.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #238 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:59 am

Proud to be an Arkansan.

http://www.out.com/positive-voices/2016 ... dying-aids

Between 1984 and the mid-1990s, before better HIV drugs effectively rendered her obsolete, Ruth Coker Burks cared for hundreds of dying people, many of them gay men who had been abandoned by their families. She buried more than three dozen of them herself, after their families refused to claim their bodies. For many of those people, she is now the only person who knows the location of their graves.

It started in 1984, in a hospital hallway. Ruth Coker Burks was 25 and a young mother when she went to University Hospital in Little Rock, Ark., to help care for a friend who had cancer. Her friend eventually went through five surgeries, Burks said, so she spent a lot of time that year parked in hospitals. That’s where she was the day she noticed the door, one with “a big, red bag” over it. It was a patient’s room. “I would watch the nurses draw straws to see who would go in and check on him. It’d be: ‘Best two out of three,’ and then they’d say, ‘Can we draw again?’ ”

Since at least the late 1880s, Burks’s kin have been buried in Files Cemetery, a half-acre of red dirt on top of a hill in Hot Springs, Ark. When Burks was a girl, she said, her mother got in a final, epic row with Burks’s uncle. To make sure he and his branch of the family tree would never lie in the same dirt as the rest of them, Burks said, her mother quietly bought every available grave space in the cemetery: 262 plots. They visited the cemetery most Sundays after church when she was young, Burks said, and her mother would often sarcastically remark on her holdings, looking out over the cemetery and telling her daughter, “Someday, all of this is going to be yours.”

“I always wondered what I was going to do with a cemetery,” she said. “Who knew there’d come a time when people didn’t want to bury their children?”

Files Cemetery is where Burks buried the ashes of the man she’d seen die, after a second call to his mother confirmed she wanted nothing to do with him, even in death. “No one wanted him,” she said, “and I told him in those long 13 hours that I would take him to my beautiful little cemetery, where my daddy and grandparents were buried, and they would watch out over him.”

Update: A memorial fund has reached its goal for a memorial at the Files Cemetery.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

kate520

Post #239 by kate520 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 am

:crying: :crying:

Thanks, TRL, I needed that.

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

TollandRCR

Post #240 by TollandRCR » Thu May 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I needed that as well. TY.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Lani

Post #241 by Lani » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

kate520 wrote::crying: :crying:

Thanks, TRL, I needed that.

:yeah:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post #242 by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Same here, that is a beautiful story.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Notorial Dissent

Post #243 by Notorial Dissent » Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Truly lovely.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

maydijo

Post #244 by maydijo » Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 pm

It's equal parts tragic and beautiful. Beautiful that she opened her heart to these men; tragic that their parents behaved so horribly.

I have a friend who lost a brother in law to suicide last week. He had been mentally ill, violently so, for a good 12 years. He was a danger to himself and others - so much so that his siblings were scared of him, and constantly asked their mother to stop checking up on him, because they were worried he would her her. She is a very gentle, quiet woman. She would simply respond, "He's my son, I can't give up on him," and every week, although he was a danger to her and often threatened violence against her, she would buy him groceries and check on him to make sure he was okay. This time, when she knocked on the door, there was no answer; she called the police, who entered his apartment (which she paid rent and utilities for) and found him dead on the couch. She admitted to my friend, somewhat guiltily, that she felt relieved. Well, I've spent enough time around the dying to know that's a fairly common response for the survivors where long periods of illness are involved. I can understand that. But still - the point is, she still tried. She did everything she could to help her son. Because that's what you do when you're a parent. You don't cast them aside, particularly not for something as inconsequential as sexual orientation.

I hope those parents have come to deeply regret their actions. I hope they have spent the rest of their lives trying to make amends.

RTH10260

Post #245 by RTH10260 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 am

23 May 2017
Chapman University in Southern California awarded an honorary degree to a woman who attended every class with her quadriplegic son and took his notes so he could complete his MBA. (May 23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uohA3IjAfY

Return to “Social Issues”