Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Addie

Re: Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Post by Addie » Sat May 11, 2019 12:18 pm

New York Times
He Crossed the Atlantic in a Barrel. We Asked Him About Dodging Ships and Using ‘La Toilette.’

The French adventurer Jean-Jacques Savin spent over four months alone, floating across the Atlantic Ocean. “It’s freedom,” he said.

On a journey across the Atlantic Ocean, the French adventurer Jean-Jacques Savin spent 127 days alone in a large, barrel-shaped capsule made of plywood, at the mercy of the winds and currents. He had no television. No Facebook or Twitter.

In December, Mr. Savin, a former military parachutist, pilot and park ranger in Africa, set sail from the Canary Islands, the Spanish archipelago west of Morocco, in the orange vessel he built. It measures about 10 feet long and 6 feet 8 inches wide.

Last week, on May 2, Mr. Savin, 72, completed his 3,125-nautical-mile trip on the Dutch Caribbean island of St. Eustatius.

On Thursday, we spoke with Mr. Savin by phone from Martinique, where he was preparing his return to France by plane, and his barrel’s return to Europe by boat.

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 pm

I listened to this on NPR's "Fresh Air" today - lots of food for thought for those dealing with the potential of dementia in themselves or their parents:

(If you don't want to listen, the show is transcribed at the link)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 am

TImely, MRich. Thanks. :bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri May 24, 2019 9:58 am

Cross-posting

CNBC
Bipartisan retirement bill clears House, moves closer to becoming law

Lawmakers in the House of Representatives have passed a bill that aims to improve the nation’s retirement savings, moving it a step closer to becoming law.

Called the Secure Act and backed by both Republicans and Democrats, the measure includes a variety of provisions intended to increase the ranks of savers and the amount they put away.

Changes include: making it easier for small businesses to band together to offer 401(k) plans, requiring businesses to let long-term, part-time workers become eligible for retirement benefits and repealing the maximum age for making contributions to traditional individual retirement accounts (right now, that’s 70½).

It also would raise the age when required minimum distributions, or RMDs, from certain retirement accounts must start to age 72, from 70½, along with making changes to allow more annuities to be offered in 401(k) plans.

“We continue to be optimistic that we’ll move this bill over the goal line,” said Paul Richman, chief government and political affairs officer at the Insured Retirement Institute. “It’s likely that before the end of this year, there will be a retirement bill that gets sent to the president’s desk.”

A provision that would have allowed money from tax-advantaged 529 education savings plans to be used for home-schooling expenses was stripped from the Secure Act during a House Rules Committee vote earlier this week.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 am

Pain psychologists, who knew?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ments-work
How Pain Psychology Treatments Work
Five fundamental treatment goals of a pain psychologist

Only a small percentage of people living with chronic pain pursue help from a pain psychologist. On one hand, this is discouraging because pain psychology treatments have decades of scientific support for their benefits. Despite these proven benefits, however, mere thousands each year participate in pain psychology therapies among the millions struggling with chronic pain conditions.

On the other hand, it makes sense why few people think about a psychologist when considering treatment options for their chronic pain: most people believe that chronic pain is a medical condition, after all, and medical conditions require medical treatment. In the same way that it seems illogical for a person suffering from panic attacks to seek out a surgeon or a dentist, it seems equally illogical to most people with chronic pain to seek out a psychologist.

The most basic way that pain psychologists help is by showing people how to replace acute pain coping behaviors with chronic pain coping behaviors. All pain begins as acute pain; pain becomes chronic only when it persists past the expected length of time for healing to occur. We react instinctively to acute pain by avoiding painful activities, resting the painful area, seeking medical attention, and waiting for the pain symptoms to subside. These behaviors are both appropriate and effective…for acute pain. When the same pain becomes chronic, however, we need a new set of coping behaviors. Acute pain behaviors such as continued rest, activity avoidance and seeking medical care no longer help and often even worsen the disability associated with chronic pain. When you appreciate that managing chronic pain involves not only learning new chronic pain coping skills but also having to unlearn years of acute pain coping skills, then it makes more sense why a person might benefit from seeing a pain psychologist.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 30, 2019 11:02 am

News for fibromyalgia sufferers and their kin:

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/p ... bromyalgia

Antiviral or Antiretroviral Drugs for Fibromyalgia?
Exercise and self-care are still the frontline treatments for this chronic pain condition.

Fibromyalgia is a disorder of how the brain processes pain signals that causes symptoms such as fatigue, insomnia, digestive problems, migraines and cognitive issues, and it can be challenging to diagnose and treat. But there are some approaches and medications that have been proven useful.

Why Might Antiviral Agents Help With Fibromyalgia?
Often, fibromyalgia occurs after some sort of triggering event, and in a small cohort of people, it’s believed that this triggering event could be related to contraction of a viral disease, such as Epstein-Barr, the virus that causes mononucleosis. The theory goes that if you can knock out that triggering virus, the symptoms of fibromyalgia will go away, but it’s anything but settled science.

Although research is ongoing into whether antiviral or antiretroviral therapies might someday have wider applications in the treatment of fibromyalgia, Dr. David Trock, a rheumatologist at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut, says “my instincts tell me it’s not going to be an answer for this. The inciting factors that cause fibromyalgia are usually not viral. There may be a post-infectious fibromyalgia phenomena sometimes, for example in people who have the Epstein-Barr virus, and people with HIV probably have a little more fibromyalgia than the average population. But if you give an antiviral therapy to a patient who has something like mono or chronic fatigue syndrome, their fibromyalgia symptoms don’t necessarily improve.” In some cases, the symptoms might actually worsen, he says. “In fact, if you use interferon-like drugs (a form of antiviral therapy), these patients feel more tired and achy as a rule.”

We don’t know the entire reason why exercise is helpful in alleviating pain, but it is considered the No. 1 frontline approach to treating fibromyalgia for several reasons,” Hackshaw says. “One is that many – not all, but many – patients with fibromyalgia are relatively sedentary, so increasing their muscle mass can help to increase their pain threshold. And since fibromyalgia is characterized by relatively innocuous pressure causing pain, increasing the pain threshold can perhaps minimize that type of reaction.” In addition, fibromyalgia features fatigue as a primary symptom, so “anything we can do to build up an individual’s endurance can also help with pain,” he says.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm

The Hill: Researchers say they've made progress toward preventing Alzheimer's

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 am

New study on fibromyalgia.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325535.php
People with fibromyalgia have different gut bacteria

Researchers in Canada identified 19 species of gut bacteria that were present in higher or lower numbers in individuals with fibromyalgia.

"We found," says Amir Minerbi, of the Alan Edwards Pain Management Unit at McGill University in Montreal, "that fibromyalgia and the symptoms of fibromyalgia — pain, fatigue, and cognitive difficulties — contribute more than any of the other factors to the variations we see in the microbiomes of those with the disease."

We also saw," Minerbi adds, "that the severity of a patient's symptoms was directly correlated with an increased presence or a more pronounced absence of certain bacteria — something which has never been reported before."

The team is keen to point out that the findings do not show whether the changes in gut bacteria are just markers of the disease or actually contribute to or cause its development.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 am

MBG Health (Podcast): Two Doctors Share Their Science-Backed Secrets To Aging Gracefully

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:30 am

I think Mrs tried to make coffee with an apple.

Aye yi yi, is this how it starts? When do I become concerned?

I got home from work yesterday and found the coffee pot on meaning it's been turned on in the last two hours. The pot itself is bone dry, the caraffe we transfer the coffee is empty, and there's an apple in the filter. It's apparently the morning coffee filter. The apple has been shoved in making a soft dent in the grounds, but not enough to close the lid. She's sipping coffee, knows nothing about the apple, and believes someone came into the house without her knowledge. Calmly. Without defiance, or anger, or fear. Just matter of factly. Someone came in the house, put an apple in the coffee maker, turned it on, and walked back out. No big deal. Happens everyday.

I guess I just have to write this down, and start keeping track. If it's a goofy mistake, okay. We all put the TV remote in the freezer at one point or another.

:brickwallsmall:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am

Honestly, I'd start being concerned.

On a couple of occasions, my mother would go to put milk in the fridge, then realize its spot was taken by the coffee pot. Early morning absentmindedness.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:45 am

Bill_G wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:30 am
I think Mrs tried to make coffee with an apple.

Aye yi yi, is this how it starts? When do I become concerned?

I got home from work yesterday and found the coffee pot on meaning it's been turned on in the last two hours. The pot itself is bone dry, the caraffe we transfer the coffee is empty, and there's an apple in the filter. It's apparently the morning coffee filter. The apple has been shoved in making a soft dent in the grounds, but not enough to close the lid. She's sipping coffee, knows nothing about the apple, and believes someone came into the house without her knowledge. Calmly. Without defiance, or anger, or fear. Just matter of factly. Someone came in the house, put an apple in the coffee maker, turned it on, and walked back out. No big deal. Happens everyday.

I guess I just have to write this down, and start keeping track. If it's a goofy mistake, okay. We all put the TV remote in the freezer at one point or another.

:brickwallsmall:
I'm not a medical professional, but I'd have your wife get a complete physical. Two things come to mind. People's reactions to medications can change, and drug interactions can be unpredictable. Make sure that her medications are not part of the problem. Second, things like urinary tract infections may not appear to cause symptoms, but can have odd effects. For my mom, she would lose her balance. My brother, who is a physician, said that one of his elderly patients in a nursing home would start getting belligerent whenever he had a urinary tract infection. So something physically wrong could be causing a mental fog.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Interesting. Thanks. She is going through another bout with a UTI. I wondered about drug interactions as well. She has a whole pharmacy in her cabinet. Getting her to discuss it is a different matter. But, I will keep an eye on it.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am
Honestly, I'd start being concerned.

On a couple of occasions, my mother would go to put milk in the fridge, then realize its spot was taken by the coffee pot. Early morning absentmindedness.
That's what I'm hoping it is. (wringing hands emogi)

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:28 pm

It's not the apple in the coffeemaker that concerns me so much as her calm statement that someone must have come into the house and done it. My mom has dementia and the idea that strangers are coming into our house is one of her fixations. For instance, she firmly believes she no longer has dentures (which she lost) because, she says, a couple of little kids came into the house, went into her bedroom, took her teeth and flushed them down the toilet.
I've heard this bull before.

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:49 pm

My mother had a weird drug reaction that sounds similar. Her doctors wanted to move her from Lorazepam to Prozac because the state regulations have changed making it more inconvenient for THEM. Anyway, she had to take both for a while because they aren't a 1:1 replacement. After 2+ months on the Prozac, she started seeing people and animals in the house. And she was very calm about it. While I was discussing it with her, she said "oh, there's a squirrel right there." "Right here, at my feet?" "Yes, oh, it went behind the couch." My mother, who can't go to bed with a dirty cup in the sink, was calm about squirrels in the house! We took her to the doctor who took her off the Prozac. So, yeah, it might be meds.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 pm

PBS News Hour: Can ultrasound be used to fight Alzheimer's?

Return to “Social Issues”