Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Bill_G

Re: Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm

The stress problem has been mentioned to me before, and it could be a contributing factor. I have four large projects that have all coalesced on Q1 this year. One goes back to 2016 when we first submitted our proposal and won the bid. But, they couldn't come up with the funding. Now they have it, and now they want it completed by the end of Q2 along before their grant expires. The other irons in the fire were just waiting approval, and of course they too pulled their triggers before Christmas wanting completion by the end of Q2 to be in this fiscal year.

Our whole shop is booked. I've had to bring in hired guns. But, the temp service keeps sending me Yosemite Sam and Charlie Manson. I have found two great guys that I only have to show them something once, and they are golden. If they have questions, they call me, and they are always good questions from intelligent people not entirely familiar with the equipment. I've also gotten "experts" that weren't. One guy I would describe as a chef that memorized every recipe, but could couldn't cook a meal. Great on paper, but not in practice. I feel bad for them, but I don't have time to mold them into the application and implementation engineers (re: installers) I need. I have to cut throats quickly, and toss the bodies overboard so I can bring in the next contestant. I hate it.

So, yes, stress may be a contributor. Back in 96 when I took on a whole transportation agency to right the wrongs in their brand new sparkling, albeit broken, communications system, I lost a chunk of hair from the back of my head. Mrs_G noticed it. It has since grown back, but it was lighter brown, and as the salt and pepper set it, it has remained light brown. Weird. But, that agency is mine to lose, and it got me a lot of good referrals to other work in the PNW.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Try the Press'n seal instead of saran wrap. The stuff will cling to your skin without having to wrap it all the way around to stick to itself. I used it on a burn on the back of my hand and it worked great. Enough stick to stay on but not enough to pull skin away. Cut a chunk big enough to have several inches around the wound and stick it on.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm
Try the Press'n seal instead of saran wrap. The stuff will cling to your skin without having to wrap it all the way around to stick to itself. I used it on a burn on the back of my hand and it worked great. Enough stick to stay on but not enough to pull skin away. Cut a chunk big enough to have several inches around the wound and stick it on.
Genius! We have scads of cling warp because that's what Costco carries. I had not thought about press-n-seal. Thx!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:30 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Genius! We have scads of cling warp because that's what Costco carries. I had not thought about press-n-seal. Thx!
Happy I could help. I hate seeing or hearing about anyone in pain.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 am
And plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) is the preferred dressing. It provides an artificial skin to prevent irritation while allowing me to monitor the wound without having to remove the dressing daily. Liquid Benadryl is the recommended topical after washing with hydrogen peroxide.
I use Solarcaine aloe vera gel with lidocaine for topical injuries/heat rash/chafing/etc. I apply a coat, let it dry, apply another coat, let it dry. The lidocaine soothes the injury, the aloe vera gel forms a flexible 'skin' to protect the area from rubbing or chafing. Dunno how aloe vera gel would work for your spider bite, but if you feel like giving it a try, it's worked great for my owies.
I've heard this bull before.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm

I use Solarcaine aloe vera gel with lidocaine for topical injuries/heat rash/chafing/etc. I apply a coat, let it dry, apply another coat, let it dry. The lidocaine soothes the injury, the aloe vera gel forms a flexible 'skin' to protect the area from rubbing or chafing. Dunno how aloe vera gel would work for your spider bite, but if you feel like giving it a try, it's worked great for my owies.
I'll give it a try if things change. Thanks.

Besides the burning sensation from the actual wound, and all the small wounds from torn off tape, the worst was the sympathetic pain in my left nipple. It is constantly screaming. It hates to be touched by clothing, warm air, cold air, soothing oatmeal wash, etc, even on gabapentin. The only thing that it likes is to be smashed by my palm into my chest. Then it shuts up. Plain old Aspecreme lidocaine does a good job, but it hates the application. It let's you know it's displeasure. And after a few minutes, as the lidocaine kicks in, it quiets down. It's one of the reasons I thought about using the saran wrap.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 am
And plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) is the preferred dressing. It provides an artificial skin to prevent irritation while allowing me to monitor the wound without having to remove the dressing daily. Liquid Benadryl is the recommended topical after washing with hydrogen peroxide.
I'm such a chicken about pain, just the thought of putting any kind of ointment or anything on it makes me cringe. My brain just KNOWS the cream is going to hurt more than just leaving it alone, so I usually just suffer through it. Yeah, I'm a wimp.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Amen to that. I think no one looks forward to deliberately causing pain to get rid of pain. It was one of the lessons of life I was taught, and we had to pass that on to our boys when they hurt themselves playing. I let them hold the warm wash cloth to wash out the cut, and let them apply the Bactine and bandage. As they got older and cut themselves playing around with a knife, or wracked their knuckles wrenching on a car, they could take care of themselves pretty good. Nobody likes the pain, and everybody wants to help when they see someone else is. That's the great thing about people.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I am trying the press-n-seal, and while it's a bit a crinkly under the clothes, it does stick to the skin without ripping out big chunks when I peel it off. It's a great idea. I'm adding it to my field dressing kit. Thanks!

Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 am

Here are two things I discovered on the peoples pharmacy website (run by husband and wife pharmacists:

1. Put soy sauce on your burn. I was skeptical -- but it works. And the people I've told about it also said it works for them.
2. Put black pepper on a bleeding cut. Haven't tried that yet but people swear by it.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

:like:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am

Shingles update: DO NOT RUN OUT OF GABAPENTIN.
Do I need to repeat myself?
Good. Dismissed. Be safe out there.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 am

Bill_G wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am
:fivestars:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 pm

My staircase had a handrail on only one side. Going up, the handrail on the right until it ended in the ceiling of the first floor, then on the left for the upper half. There was no handrail on the two-step landing where the stairs turn around. Further, because of the way the lower handrail ended, there is nothing to hold onto as you step onto the landing, unless you grab the banister on the left side which is holding up the handrail on the upper steps.

Months of using a cane for support while on the stairs convinced me that I needed handrails on both sides. The handrails were built Friday, then stained and sealed Saturday (in the garage, to avoid fumes in the house), and installed today.

(Not RoadScholar quality), but they're better than I could possibly imagine.

The chair on the landing was suggested by the Physical Therapist who visited my home after my earlier hospitalization.

Lower section
IMG_0129.jpg
Handrail wrapping around landing
IMG_0131.jpg
Upper section
IMG_0133.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm

They look great!

My Mother’s ranch house had railings in the main hallway. The previous owner used a wheelchair and the railings helped her pull herself around. Mom found that she didn’t need a cane inside the house as the railings provided enough balance.

Railings rock.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 pm

We put in railings from the first floor down into the pantry and garage in our house when my parents got older for when they visited here. We still only have them on one side, though, which is also true going up to the second floor. Now that we are the older ones it might be time to rethink adding more.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Good job, Vic :thumbs:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 pm

A couple of summers ago I had problems with my knee and I know how easy it was to go up and down the stairs at my mom's house because of the railings on both sides.

Smart move on your part to add the second railing. :thumbs: It's both easier on you and safer for you.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:29 pm

:thumbs:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:07 am

Your contractor did a good job matching the new hand rails to your stair treads. They look solid. And the land seat is a good idea. Well done.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 am
Bill_G wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am
:fivestars:
It's not the constant background burn so much as the zingers. Then it sounds like I'm practicing Manderin - "GUH", "SHU", "CHE".

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:58 am

:rotflmao:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:35 am

New York Times
Nursing Homes Are Closing Across Rural America, Scattering Residents ...

Similar scenes are playing out in other heavily rural states. Five nursing homes closed in Nebraska last year, with more at risk of closing. Six shut down in Maine — a record, according to the Bangor Daily News.

Thirty-six rural nursing homes across the country have been forced to close in the last decade because they failed to meet health and safety standards. But far more have collapsed for financial reasons, including changing health care policies that now encourage people to choose independent and assisted living or stay in their own homes with help from caregivers.

Some nursing homes cannot find people to do the low-paying work of caring for frail residents. Others are losing money as their occupancy rates fall and more of their patients’ long-term care is covered by Medicaid, which in many states does not pay enough to keep the lights on.

South Dakota chips in less than any other state in the nation to pay for long-term care for residents on Medicaid, said Mark B. Deak, executive director of the South Dakota Health Care Association. He added that the state’s low payment level — a product of South Dakota’s fiscal conservatism and distrust of government-run health care — has now created a crisis.

Five South Dakota nursing homes have shut down in the past three years, and dozens more are losing money because the majority of their residents rely on Medicaid. At current reimbursement rates, nursing homes in the state lose about $58 a day for each resident on Medicaid, Mr. Deak said. It adds up to $66 million a year in losses statewide.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm

We have a new governor who wants to be Trump.

He’s raising rates at the old folks home.

https://www.adn.com/politics/2019/03/05 ... residents/
JUNEAU - State officials are proposing rate increases of between 40 percent and nearly 140 percent for residents of Alaska’s state-supported elder-care facilities, according to health department documents released ahead of a Tuesday legislative hearing.

Clinton Lasley, director of the division overseeing the state’s Pioneer Homes, said that to cover proposed budget cuts, the homes are looking at rates in line with the cost to provide services. Critics call the plan unworkable.

The state Department of Health and Social Services proposes to add two tiers to an existing three-tier program that is based on level of services and care within Pioneer Homes, which are located in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Palmer, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan.

The current lowest-cost option, including housing, food, emergency help and events, costs $2,588 per month. It would rise to $3,623 monthly under the proposal.

The highest current level of care costs $6,795 per month. Under the new proposal, the most comprehensive level would cost $15,000 per month.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

vic

Post by vic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 am

The pain from my broken ribs has been getting worse the past few weeks and by last weekend I couldn't sit for more than 30 minutes before pain in the back was unbearable. I also had periods where the skin on my upper chest would feel like it was burning. And I couldn't sleep in my bed - lying on my back or either side would be unbearable.

I waited (stupid me) until my scheduled appointment with the oncologist. Before I could even go over questions I had regarding the status of the cancer she said that our first priority was to deal with this pain. She was almost angry when she reviewed the medications I was given for pain when I was released from the hospital at the end of January, and said that they were much too low for someone with a broken rib (I now have at least two broken ribs, most likely due to weakened bones from the tumors).

She told me I should have been taking double or quadruple the amount of oxycodone for "breakthrough pain", and my base pain should be managed by MS Contin (an extended release morphine); acetaminophen (3 grams a day - yes, 6 500 mg tablets) and a lidocaine patch were not sufficient. I was also given a shot of demerol.

That helped - the major pain which was making me severely depressed was gone, but I still couldn't sleep or sit for more than an hour.

I saw the doctor again yesterday - i was there for a chemo treatment, but she wanted to check the pain status, and was not happy. In fact before I even went in to the treatment room, one of the nurses happened to talk to me and didn't like how I sounded, and had gone to the doctor to report.

The doctor started discussing admitting me to the hospital for pain management, but when she reviewed how I had been taking the meds the past two days she saw another problem. After the doctor had prescribed the oxycodone, and it had been reviewed by the oncology pharmacists, I had gone downstairs to fill the prescriptions. The Kaiser pharmacist there had changed the instructions for the oxycontin because it was above the guideline for someone also taking morphine. Instead of taking 5-10 mg every 3-4 hours as needed, they changed it to 5 mg every 6 hours, and that was what I was doing.

The doctor, and later the oncology pharmacist, said that the change was inappropriate - basically, the pharmacist was following the general guideline and not allowing for the specific situation of a chemotherapy patient.

Further, with all the warnings about opioids, I was only taking the oxycodone when the pain became excessive. I should be taking it as soon as there was breakthrough pain (above that which the morphine was handling) so as to prevent the pain from getting worse.

The doctor decided to not admit me yesterday, and to see how I did over the next 24 hours following these instructions (I have another treatment today, and she will check in with me). I was given another demerol injection (double what I had Tuesday) and the doctor told me to double the morphine as well.

The oncology pharmacist did make one change; she suggested that since I wasn't taking enough oxycodone, and not soon enough, I should wait a day before increasing the morphine.

And I am extremely happy to report that this worked! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

I was able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in weeks. There were a couple of times when I started to feel pain starting in my sides or back, and I immediately took the oxycodone. And didn't experience any of that burning on my chest.

And most important of all, I was able to get all the way through reading a day's worth of Fogbow postings in sitting. :-D :-D

Return to “Social Issues”