Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Bill_G

Re: Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm

The stress problem has been mentioned to me before, and it could be a contributing factor. I have four large projects that have all coalesced on Q1 this year. One goes back to 2016 when we first submitted our proposal and won the bid. But, they couldn't come up with the funding. Now they have it, and now they want it completed by the end of Q2 along before their grant expires. The other irons in the fire were just waiting approval, and of course they too pulled their triggers before Christmas wanting completion by the end of Q2 to be in this fiscal year.

Our whole shop is booked. I've had to bring in hired guns. But, the temp service keeps sending me Yosemite Sam and Charlie Manson. I have found two great guys that I only have to show them something once, and they are golden. If they have questions, they call me, and they are always good questions from intelligent people not entirely familiar with the equipment. I've also gotten "experts" that weren't. One guy I would describe as a chef that memorized every recipe, but could couldn't cook a meal. Great on paper, but not in practice. I feel bad for them, but I don't have time to mold them into the application and implementation engineers (re: installers) I need. I have to cut throats quickly, and toss the bodies overboard so I can bring in the next contestant. I hate it.

So, yes, stress may be a contributor. Back in 96 when I took on a whole transportation agency to right the wrongs in their brand new sparkling, albeit broken, communications system, I lost a chunk of hair from the back of my head. Mrs_G noticed it. It has since grown back, but it was lighter brown, and as the salt and pepper set it, it has remained light brown. Weird. But, that agency is mine to lose, and it got me a lot of good referrals to other work in the PNW.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Try the Press'n seal instead of saran wrap. The stuff will cling to your skin without having to wrap it all the way around to stick to itself. I used it on a burn on the back of my hand and it worked great. Enough stick to stay on but not enough to pull skin away. Cut a chunk big enough to have several inches around the wound and stick it on.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm
Try the Press'n seal instead of saran wrap. The stuff will cling to your skin without having to wrap it all the way around to stick to itself. I used it on a burn on the back of my hand and it worked great. Enough stick to stay on but not enough to pull skin away. Cut a chunk big enough to have several inches around the wound and stick it on.
Genius! We have scads of cling warp because that's what Costco carries. I had not thought about press-n-seal. Thx!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:30 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Genius! We have scads of cling warp because that's what Costco carries. I had not thought about press-n-seal. Thx!
Happy I could help. I hate seeing or hearing about anyone in pain.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 am
And plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) is the preferred dressing. It provides an artificial skin to prevent irritation while allowing me to monitor the wound without having to remove the dressing daily. Liquid Benadryl is the recommended topical after washing with hydrogen peroxide.
I use Solarcaine aloe vera gel with lidocaine for topical injuries/heat rash/chafing/etc. I apply a coat, let it dry, apply another coat, let it dry. The lidocaine soothes the injury, the aloe vera gel forms a flexible 'skin' to protect the area from rubbing or chafing. Dunno how aloe vera gel would work for your spider bite, but if you feel like giving it a try, it's worked great for my owies.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm

I use Solarcaine aloe vera gel with lidocaine for topical injuries/heat rash/chafing/etc. I apply a coat, let it dry, apply another coat, let it dry. The lidocaine soothes the injury, the aloe vera gel forms a flexible 'skin' to protect the area from rubbing or chafing. Dunno how aloe vera gel would work for your spider bite, but if you feel like giving it a try, it's worked great for my owies.
I'll give it a try if things change. Thanks.

Besides the burning sensation from the actual wound, and all the small wounds from torn off tape, the worst was the sympathetic pain in my left nipple. It is constantly screaming. It hates to be touched by clothing, warm air, cold air, soothing oatmeal wash, etc, even on gabapentin. The only thing that it likes is to be smashed by my palm into my chest. Then it shuts up. Plain old Aspecreme lidocaine does a good job, but it hates the application. It let's you know it's displeasure. And after a few minutes, as the lidocaine kicks in, it quiets down. It's one of the reasons I thought about using the saran wrap.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 am
And plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) is the preferred dressing. It provides an artificial skin to prevent irritation while allowing me to monitor the wound without having to remove the dressing daily. Liquid Benadryl is the recommended topical after washing with hydrogen peroxide.
I'm such a chicken about pain, just the thought of putting any kind of ointment or anything on it makes me cringe. My brain just KNOWS the cream is going to hurt more than just leaving it alone, so I usually just suffer through it. Yeah, I'm a wimp.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Amen to that. I think no one looks forward to deliberately causing pain to get rid of pain. It was one of the lessons of life I was taught, and we had to pass that on to our boys when they hurt themselves playing. I let them hold the warm wash cloth to wash out the cut, and let them apply the Bactine and bandage. As they got older and cut themselves playing around with a knife, or wracked their knuckles wrenching on a car, they could take care of themselves pretty good. Nobody likes the pain, and everybody wants to help when they see someone else is. That's the great thing about people.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I am trying the press-n-seal, and while it's a bit a crinkly under the clothes, it does stick to the skin without ripping out big chunks when I peel it off. It's a great idea. I'm adding it to my field dressing kit. Thanks!

Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 am

Here are two things I discovered on the peoples pharmacy website (run by husband and wife pharmacists:

1. Put soy sauce on your burn. I was skeptical -- but it works. And the people I've told about it also said it works for them.
2. Put black pepper on a bleeding cut. Haven't tried that yet but people swear by it.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

:like:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am

Shingles update: DO NOT RUN OUT OF GABAPENTIN.
Do I need to repeat myself?
Good. Dismissed. Be safe out there.

Return to “Social Issues”