Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again

Volkonski

Re: Is Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again?

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 pm

neeneko wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:47 pm
Danraft wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:37 pm
Kind of. A Board member asked him to intervene.
She gave an address on a street where no homes had been built.
See above.
That is what I was getting at. A board member did not recognize the woman, and the board member claims she gave an impossible address (even though she gave the correct one to the guy). Bloom took the fall, but in terms of HOA and losing his fairly low paying job (compared to people living in half million dollar homes).. the board member is not even named.
Why would Bloom take the fall for another board member? He was a board member himself.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm

The fired employee of Sonoco may have had responsibility for enforcing the company’s non-discrimination policy. He would have undercut his credibility by his actions at the pool.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Danraft wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:01 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:01 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:47 am
I am guessing that that guy lost a pretty good job. :-D
Kudos to Sunoco though.
Do you think this is a proportionate response? Did he have a continued history of dubious actions? To remove a source of a family's livelihood is a strong action.
Perhaps suspension and requirement for sensitivity classes?
This is excessive. If by this statement one infers I am insensitive, I disagree.

I must be incompletely informed-- I haven't seen the video.
Perhaps he assaulted and injured the other party? Or, hurled death threats while drawing his weapon? Improperly touched their sexual organs? Urinated on them? Spat on them? Hurled his feces at them? Gave a NAZI salute?
Damn. I must see this! Trundling off for the link.

<< I'm back. So, he didn't even directly confront the woman. He called the authorities.
Yes, it's crappy. But, he wasn't TOTALLY STUPID.

(And I think "Zero Tolerance" is a crock and insane. He didn't break a law. YES. I get he acted wrong, and the company has their rights, but come on... "This is what happened to me and my baby" gets picked up buy the Social Justice Warriors and off we go. She didn't ask for him to be fired. Perhaps the Social Justice peeps didn't either. I just don't find jubilation in this. I don't know him. Maybe he really is a horrible person. Just my opinion.)
In this world of widely available information where people can be Googled in a heartbeat, every employee is a representative of the company 24/7. Your actions will reflect upon the company, and if you become a liability, they have to cut their losses so that they don't become guilty by association. The days of sweeping things under the carpet are over.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 pm
Why would Bloom take the fall for another board member? He was a board member himself.
Not all board members are going to have the same social standing. The odd bit that keeps jumping out at me was someone earlier in the thread pointed out his rather low income relative to what you would expect in such a neighborhood. If this is accurate, even if he is a board member (who gets stuck checking IDs at the pool?), he might be low on the local totem poll.

Still an racist ass for calling the police, but probably also the easiest to sacrifice.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Yay!!! You guys get to teach me a new trick.
The following link is to Brook's attorney's letter. It comes up very readable with an option to see it in iBooks (I'm on an iPad) I can't copy off of it, and same thing in iBooks. How does one do this?
https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com ... 902960.pdf
Won't paste.

Oh. And, side note. HOA's have residents do this usually. My mother has been the the Pool Regulator at their little HOA in Smalltown Texas. She hated it. Dad has done it at times.
Being the Pool Regulator is not his "job" as in source of income-- at least, there are times I'm aware of where that is not the case. I would believe he has his job as Sunoco ?? And this is regarding his being active in the community.

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Found the pool.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1127953 ... authuser=0

Without the exact boundaries of the Glenridge Community it is hard to tell which 259 houses are part of it. Home prices in that area per Zillow range from about $180,000 to $600,000.

http://glenridgecommunity.com/sub_categ ... =Amenities

Pool Rules-

http://glenridgecommunity.com/sub_categ ... =Amenities

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:09 pm

The woman was not a guest, she is a resident. Sonoco referred to the incident as "well documented". It isn't even possible to enter the pool area without having your key card. It seems she was pretty insulted about being asked if she was a resident, considering that she entered the pool area using her key card. Even after the woman gave the key card to the police and they checked that it worked, Bloom made some snide remark that he still usually would want to see some ID, but he'll let it go "this time".

He doesn't sound like a nice person. At all.
Edit: Even the homeowner's association says the incident shouldn't have happened and apologized to the woman.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 pm

The only thing that makes me pause and think this may not be racist is that it is a Home Owner's Association.

The are no worse, self-important dickheads in the world than the people who volunteer to be on the board of Home Owner's Associations and it is absolutely possible he was just being their normal non-racist self-righteous shithead self.

Employers have the right to determine (subject to civil rights laws) the kind of people they have working for them. TBH, I wouldn't hire someone who was on a Home Owner's Association board to start with.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm

neeneko wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm

The odd bit that keeps jumping out at me was someone earlier in the thread pointed out his rather low income relative to what you would expect in such a neighborhood.
It must be because I live in New England, Land of Over-priced Real Estate, but $100K income seems in line with a $500K house. Of course, that low a price wouldn’t have a pool.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm

You are correct. I stand corrected, she was a resident. The local news gave a different name and I was confused.
Meh. I've given my opinion. I wasn't comfortable with this as proportionate. also, too. He has had to move away temporarily as he has has death threats and harrassment. It had already been up on social media before anybody new anything. That's just the world I suppose.
As it turns out Dan1100 is right. Those who do can be pricks and probably came off that way.

It isn't my task to be a control rod in a highly fissionable world, but rather to help move towards a better, more just world. Sometimes stronger messages are heard better. Perhaps that is true here. My gut tells me that society did not gain out of this exchange, and none of the involved parties did either.

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm
neeneko wrote:

The odd bit that keeps jumping out at me was someone earlier in the thread pointed out his rather low income relative to what you would expect in such a neighborhood.
It must be because I live in New England, Land of Over-priced Real Estate, but $100K income seems in line with a $500K house. Of course, that low a price wouldn’t have a pool.
Winston-Salem isn't excessively wealthy. Best known for tobacco, but that switched to furniture from neighboring Highpoint. The land is plentiful for building new PUDs, probably the old fields?
The area burst at the seams twice a year for the Highpoint furniture convention. Bible belt and traditional

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Danraft wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm
Whatever4 wrote:
neeneko wrote:

Winston-Salem isn't excessively wealthy. Best known for tobacco, but that switched to furniture from neighboring Highpoint. The land is plentiful for building new PUDs, probably the old fields?
The area burst at the seams twice a year for the Highpoint furniture convention. Bible belt and traditional
I probably should have mentioned I know WS pretty well. My dad’s family is from a small town nearby, and my cousin was a bigwig in the court system. We go back to the 1750’s in the area. My family also grew tobacco and popcorn, owned tobacco barns, owned slaves.

What’s a PUD?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Planned Unit Development.

Generally, where what the developer wants won't meet zoning requirements (usually lot size), they make a plan with smaller lots, some common ground, sewers instead of septic, planned drainage etc and get a conditional use (edit) permit approved based on the plan so they can put giant houses on tiny little lots and make a ton of money.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm
Danraft wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm
Whatever4 wrote:

I probably should have mentioned I know WS pretty well. My dad’s family is from a small town nearby, and my cousin was a bigwig in the court system. We go back to the 1750’s in the area. My family also grew tobacco and popcorn, owned tobacco barns, owned slaves.

What’s a PUD?
Umm.. that description sounded menacing... lol
Correct, yet menacing.
It's a subdivision.
Graded for drainage if necessary, traffic pattern, fire water pressure, power, etc.
A community.
every subdivision you've been in, as approved by civil engineers.

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Not every subdivision.

Many subdivisions are built meeting the current zoning requirements. They are not PUDs. The PUD is the plan that is submitted in order to apply for a conditional use permit (edit: delete what appears to be local practice) to build a subdivision that does not meet current zoning requirements.

It is only sinister if you think that 3000 square foot McMansions on 1/4 acre lots where they cut down ever f'ing tree in an area zoned for 3 acre lots is sinister. :torches:

-George W. Bush

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm
Not every subdivision.

Many subdivisions are built meeting the current zoning requirements. They are not PUDs. The PUD is the plan that is submitted in order to apply for a conditional use permit (edit: delete what appears to be local practice) to build a subdivision that does not meet current zoning requirements.

It is only sinister if you think that 3000 square foot McMansions on 1/4 acre lots where they cut down ever f'ing tree in an area zoned for 3 acre lots is sinister. :torches:
Not sure we're talking about the same thing. having been involved with one which included an 18 hole golf course, secured access, water overflow , reserved migratory wetlands, added wetlands for offset, Regulatory bodies are quite involved and local planning commission, etc-- I think we are crossed.

A wiki... You said "Unit", We were doing a Planned Urban Development. Dunno
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned ... evelopment

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:55 pm

I'll send you a pm, I don't want to screw up this thread anymore.

-George W. Bush

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 pm
The only thing that makes me pause and think this may not be racist is that it is a Home Owner's Association.

The are no worse, self-important dickheads in the world than the people who volunteer to be on the board of Home Owner's Associations and it is absolutely possible he was just being their normal non-racist self-righteous shithead self.

Employers have the right to determine (subject to civil rights laws) the kind of people they have working for them. TBH, I wouldn't hire someone who was on a Home Owner's Association board to start with.
:yeah:

One of the happiest things about living outside the US for ten years was not having to deal with HOAs.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 am

Thought of a good name for those who attack minority in Trump's name:

Storm Trumpers.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

EastStander

Post by EastStander » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am

Unfortunately, I think the Trumpers will love that, and just co-opt it in the same way they did for ‘deplorables’. We need something much more offensive.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm

The Hummingbird 🐦

@SaysHummingbird
Follow Follow @SaysHummingbird
More
Do people have nothing better to do with their lives than harrase a young black kid trying to sell some candy?

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm
Do people have nothing better to do with their lives than harrase a young black kid trying to sell some candy?
[/quote]

The almost frightenly sad part is, they really don't have anything better to do with their time. This is their highest value use of their limited energy.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

EastStander wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am
Unfortunately, I think the Trumpers will love that, and just co-opt it in the same way they did for ‘deplorables’. We need something much more offensive.
Trump nazis works for me.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 pm

As painful and disgusting as it is, we have President Obama, Hillary Clinton and trump to thank.. inadvertently, .all for the current fetid soup of racist misogyny bubbling to the surface in the USA. it was ALWAYS here. Just below the surface.

I saw it. I felt it. I knew it. So did my son. So did a lot of women. Black people. Brown people. Sure...we had people like my mother who said shit like, "I'm not racist! I don't even know any black people," and the myriad of folks who had "black friends".

trump gave get out of racist jail free cards to the hateful, ignorant (I shouldn't say that because I know a lot of people who are fairly ignorant and not hateful, but I'll leave it for the rest) people who feel emboldened to look down on someone and feel better about themselves.

This is a horrible time we are living in. But the festering boil is finally viewable. The question is whether or not it will be lanced and disinfected or popped and turned into sepsis.

I am sick at heart.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Martha’s Vineyard bus driver fired after racist remark to potential passenger
A Martha’s Vineyard Transit Authority bus driver has been fired after ignoring a potential passenger Wednesday, telling the passenger later that they drove by them “because you are black,” according to the agency.

The Route 13 bus driver, who was not identified, was traveling from Edgartown to Oak Bluffs around 4:25 p.m. when they passed by a person on Beach Road near Oakdale Drive who was trying to flag down the bus, transit authorities said in a statement released Thursday. The bus was at capacity, but the driver had failed to switch the marquee to note that the bus was full, and they passed the potential passenger by.

The person then took an Uber to Oak Bluffs, arriving shortly after the bus. When the person confronted the bus driver about being ignored, the driver said it was because the bus was full. But when the person pushed back on that response, the driver said, “Well, it’s because you are black,” according to onboard footage of the exchange.

Couple of people commented on why did the guy confront the driver later. Those folks mus not ride the bus. :boxing:

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “Social Issues”