No votes
Sun
No votes

Total votes: 45

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

Post by Phoenix520 »

Do I remember that George Floyd tested positive for COVID? Anoxia is one of the things about COVID that frustrated doctors in the beginning. They couldn’t figure out why their pulse ox was normal when they weren’t actually getting enough oxygen.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kate520 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm Do I remember that George Floyd tested positive for COVID? Anoxia is one of the things about COVID that frustrated doctors in the beginning. They couldn’t figure out why their pulse ox was normal when they weren’t actually getting enough oxygen.
He had it several weeks before he was murdered and tested positive (but was apparently asymptomatic) with a nasal swab at autopsy.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Kate520 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm Do I remember that George Floyd tested positive for COVID? Anoxia is one of the things about COVID that frustrated doctors in the beginning. They couldn’t figure out why their pulse ox was normal when they weren’t actually getting enough oxygen.
Floyd said he had had covid. No idea how long it had been since he tested negative.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I actually gasped out loud at Blackwell's finish to his rebuttal:

"You've been told that George Floyd died because his heart was too big. That is not the truth. The truth is that George Floyd died because Derek Chauvin's heart was too small."

That's the prosecutor's equivalent of a mic drop right there.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:53 pm I actually gasped out loud at Blackwell's finish to his rebuttal:

"You've been told that George Floyd died because his heart was too big. That is not the truth. The truth is that George Floyd died because Derek Chauvin's heart was too small."

That's the prosecutor's equivalent of a mic drop right there.
Boom! Loved it :boxing:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Excellent rebuttal. I have a tough time imagining that Chauvin won't be convicted of manslaughter. I think 3rd degree murder is a strong possiblity.

I'm not sure about 2nd degree murder. I think jurors who don't want to convict a cop won't go for 2nd degree murder since there are lesser charges.

That said, the defense gave a very tedious and disorganized closing. The prosecution did a good job of focusing the jury on what actually happened on May 25, 2021.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Nelson is asking for a mistrial because the prosecution used stories and mean words and said they lied.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Wtf is Nelson blathering on about. I know he has to raise all kinds of stuff. But seriously!!!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

LM K wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 pm Wtf is Nelson blathering on about. I know he has to raise all kinds of stuff. But seriously!!!
Now he wants a mistrial because of Maxine Waters. If desperation had a color, Nelson would have an aura.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:02 pm Nelson is asking for a mistrial because the prosecution used stories and mean words and said they lied.
:crying:

And now, Nelson wants something because another Minneapolis cop shot and killed a black teen.

Is it reasonable to ask jurors to not watch any news? I thought you could only ask jurors to avoid trial related news.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 pm
LM K wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 pm Wtf is Nelson blathering on about. I know he has to raise all kinds of stuff. But seriously!!!
Now he wants a mistrial because of Maxine Waters. If desperation had a color, Nelson would have an aura.
Is this unusually weird?
tek

Post by tek »

Nelson really doesn't whine very well
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

How bad are you at explaining things when you have to rephrase stuff so he understands it when speaking to your own client?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

JUST NOW: "
@TedCruz
needs to look in the mirror. Which can be tough. Especially for him."
I haven't seen a link yet, but Don Lemon was on CNN in the last hour speaking about the Maxine Waters issue, and very powerful words. Wolf Blitzer's hour IIRC.
filly

Post by filly »

I think Judge Cahill way overreacted.

I also find it rich that the Sedition Caucus, who argued Trump's January 6 "speech" where he said "fight" 24 times didn't really mean "fight" are now arguing that "confront" means "commit violence."
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

what did the judge over react on?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 pm I think Judge Cahill way overreacted.

I also find it rich that the Sedition Caucus, who argued Trump's January 6 "speech" where he said "fight" 24 times didn't really mean "fight" are now arguing that "confront" means "commit violence."
He may have overreacted a bit, but I think it was in the context of already having made that same point several times before when they were arguing over sequestration.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

who?

what?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maxine Waters' comment. He said could be grounds for appeal.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
LM K

Post by LM K »

The world doesn't stop spinning when someone becomes a juror. There was no reason to sequester the jury until now. People have the right to watch tv. You either trust jurors or you do not. If you're going to give them such responsibility, you much trust them to follow instructions outside the court.

A juror could overhear something about Daunte Wright while standing in line at the bank. On the bus. The grocery store. Church. People generally do the best they can.

Sequestration is a heavy burden for jurors. They can either be trusted or not. If we're going to trust them in deliberations, we must trust them during their jury duty service.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

What is the Blakely?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

will the jury decide how long they will deliberate tonight? What time to come in tomorrow or do they have set hours?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 pm What is the Blakely?
It's a colloquy regarding the State's intent to seek aggravated sentencing upon conviction. Basically the defendant has the right to make the presence or absence of aggravating factors a jury question or leave it to the judge. Either way, the standard is beyond a reasonable doubt just like any other element in the case. Like any other right being waived, since Chauvin is waiving his right to have the jury decide the issue, there has to be a colloquy on the record regarding his knowing, intelligent, and voluntary waiver of that right.

Long story short, if he's convicted, it'll be up to the judge, not the jury, to determine whether the requirements for aggravated sentencing were met. You could possibly interpret his decision as a hedge or a bet that, assuming the jury convicts, Judge Cahill will be more prone to view the case in a light favorable to Chauvin.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Lani

Post by Lani »

An Aussie view about the judge & Maxine Waters. Sadly, about as bad as US press.
At a Black Lives Matter rally in Minnesota at the weekend, to protest the recent shooting of Daunte Wright by a police officer, Californian Democrat Maxine Waters further inflamed tensions.

“I hope we get a verdict that says guilty, guilty, guilty,” she said.

“If we don’t, we cannot go away. We’ve got to stay on the street. We get more active, we’ve got to get more confrontational. We’ve got to make sure that they know that we mean business.”

In his final remarks in the Chauvin trial on Monday, Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill said it was abhorrent of Ms Waters to tell protesters it would be unacceptable for the former officer to be acquitted of murdering George Floyd.

“I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that’s disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch and our function,” Judge Cahill said after dismissing jurors from the courtroom.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/u ... 2020210420

I am disturbed that so much of the media is getting this wrong. Maxine didn't threatened. “I hope we get a verdict that says guilty, guilty, guilty,” isn't a threat and isn't a demand that the jury vote that way. She did offer a path forward for advocates if the jury acquits.

Oops, I forgot. She's a scary Black woman....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”